Again, the people that matter most in the decision do not agree with you.
    06-19-18 12:54 PM
    Chen has made a good job of thinning down the herd and make BB a streamlined company and right now the market BB operates in is growing. So all done right. It was the same with Porsche back then. A lot of people were laid off as too much waste. BB is going to become more and more a party people want to coopperate with. Security rules.
    07-02-18 02:58 AM
    Chen has made a good job of thinning down the herd and make BB a streamlined company and right now the market BB operates in is growing. So all done right. It was the same with Porsche back then. A lot of people were laid off as too much waste. BB is going to become more and more a party people want to coopperate with. Security rules.
    When Porsche got finished thinning did it still know how to design and build cars?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-18 11:20 AM
    When Porsche got finished thinning did it still know how to design and build cars?

Posted via CB10
    BB fired everyone in business lines that were being permanently shutdown. Totally different kind of necessary layoff as nothing for employee to do anymore.

On a side note...... see Harrison Ford on TV

Me: Look There’s Harrison Ford
    Teen Daughter: So what.... (eye roll)
    Me: Do you even realize who he is?
    Teen Daughter: Guy that used assembly line to make cars...
    Me: That’s Henry Ford. Harrison Ford was in Star Wars.
    Teen Daughter: Close enough, both happened about same time, right?
    07-04-18 11:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    To paraphrase Chuck - nice try - BB isn't designing / building phones any more.
    07-04-18 11:56 AM
    To paraphrase Chuck - nice try - BB isn't designing / building phones any more.
    And Porsche is still designing and building cars. Had it "transitioned" to making highway medians because that was profitable at the moment it probably would regret losing its core competency. Some things can't be undone.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-18 04:26 PM
    BB fired everyone in business lines that were being permanently shutdown. Totally different kind of necessary layoff as nothing for employee to do anymore.

On a side note...... see Harrison Ford on TV

Me: Look There’s Harrison Ford
    Teen Daughter: So what.... (eye roll)
    Me: Do you even realize who he is?
    Teen Daughter: Guy that used assembly line to make cars...
    Me: That’s Henry Ford. Harrison Ford was in Star Wars.
    Teen Daughter: Close enough, both happened about same time, right?
    I guarantee that more people under 20 know who Harrison Ford is than what BlackBerry is (or that it is still in business).

Posted via CB10
    07-04-18 04:27 PM
    And Porsche is still designing and building cars. Had it "transitioned" to making highway medians because that was profitable at the moment it probably would regret losing its core competency. Some things can't be undone.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry's core competency was collecting BIS and BES revenue. Hardware was always a losing proposition.
    A Noise Annoys and pdr733 like this.
    07-04-18 04:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Unfortunately, hardware is not and never was their core true competency. It was always the software and BB had to create the hardware to put it on. Hardware was just additional revenue which could have been licensed out back then and competition would have been partial allies.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-04-18 07:53 PM
    I guarantee that more people under 20 know who Harrison Ford is than what BlackBerry is (or that it is still in business).

Posted via CB10
    That’s been the way always since the beginning since BB wasn’t consumer oriented.
    07-04-18 07:58 PM
    Agreed. Unfortunately, hardware is not and never was their core true competency. It was always the software and BB had to create the hardware to put it on. Hardware was just additional revenue which could have been licensed out back then and competition would have been partial allies.
    Bingo. Yet know one gets this.
    07-04-18 08:04 PM
    John Chen is the reason why blackberry even exist lol
    07-04-18 08:10 PM
    Yes....and with him the shareholders are getting billionaires... lol!!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 04:00 AM
    John Chen is the reason why blackberry even exist lol
    I think it would be more accurate to say that he is the reason BB STILL exists.
    Transforming a business, changing the entire direction and focus is very difficult and not everyone can do it!
    07-05-18 09:57 AM
    (1) hopefully, he can find hardware to put his software in to it... (integration and speed requirement may put him in disadvantage).
    (2) hopefully, he can find enough talent to fill holes in his company - particularly, Sr. software security developers (check website, many positions open - it is a compatitive area for talent seekers... his 86 million departure package does not sounds a security pass for anyone starting career in BB... compare to the NTR's CEO departure package of 25 million... - asset valuation or risk didn't fit calculation... It almost like JDSU in the bubble internet days - it take 2 JDSU plant to just pay for the CEO).
    07-05-18 10:17 AM
    I think it would be more accurate to say that he is the reason BB STILL exists.
    Transforming a business, changing the entire direction and focus is very difficult and not everyone can do it!
    Yes that's what I was getting at.

Without him in the mix. No blackberry key2's be in our hands lol

The man's a savage. Very clever
    07-05-18 10:31 AM
    He's so great at his job that he had to let TCL try to build and sell BB branded phones. He launched how many phones? 10? Every one flopped. Every one.

I don't accept that he wanted them all to flop.

Anyone able to read this would be competent to license the brand name to TCL. All it takes are lawyers to write the agreement and a few engineers to work on the Android Hub.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 11:36 AM
    He's so great at his job that he had to let TCL try to build and sell BB branded phones. He launched how many phones? 10? Every one flopped. Every one.

Anyone able to read this would be competent to license the brand name to TCL. All it takes are lawyers to write the agreement and a few engineers to work on the Android Hub.

Posted via CB10
    The devices were never intended to be flops, they were intended to burn through supplier commitments and to keep blackberry's foot in the Enterprise door.

Software has margin, and Hardware typically does not. This is why most of the latter (industry-wide) has ended up in China and other low-cost jurisdictions.

His genius stems from his ability to make the tough decisions, and then the balls to stick with them and mobilize everyone around him to play ball.
    Last edited by conite; 07-05-18 at 01:26 PM.
    07-05-18 12:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Has the Board of Directors replied to your resume submission yet?
    07-05-18 12:33 PM
    Has the Board of Directors replied to your resume submission yet?
    I also comment on professional sports. Does your comment mean that I need to stop unless I play the sport on a professional basis?

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-06-18 03:34 PM
    I also comment on professional sports. Does your comment mean that I need to stop unless I play the sport on a professional basis?

Posted via CB10
    That’s your call, not mine. But if you know how to run your favorite team better than the owner, general manager, and coaching staff, you should probably write them a letter too.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    07-06-18 03:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Porsche's decisions of any kind are no longer made by Porsche, they're now made by Volkswagen, or to be more precise, VAG.

The historical circle is complete.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 07-06-18 at 05:00 PM.
    07-06-18 04:41 PM
    What a ridiculous thread.
    07-06-18 04:44 PM
    That’s your call, not mine. But if you know how to run your favorite team better than the owner, general manager, and coaching staff, you should probably write them a letter too.
    OK. And if they don't hire me I have to stop commenting about their moves on message boards... Unless I agree with everything they do in which case kvndoom has no issues with it.
    07-06-18 04:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Incidentally, Porsche made a disastrous run at taking over VW from VAG, something about a historical claim, but Ferdinand Piech, VAG's CEO at the time, successfully strategised against it to such a point VAG ended up in total control of Porsche. Now, VAG makes the day to day decisions regarding how Porsche runs including R&D and design from Wolfsberg, VW's HQ, and Porsche is now far more successful than they ever have been at any point in their previous history, setting sales and profit records year over year since, and their climb in quality rankings has also increased exponentially.

So, in short, it became quite apparent Porsche didn't really know much about anything in the end.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 07-06-18 at 05:25 PM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-06-18 05:12 PM
54 123