"We will no longer internally develop and product hardware. We will contract with our partners to do this"

Here we go again.

Look, you're a brand that sells your brand of hardware, or you're not. Period. It may be a relief the stock holders and balance sheet that you don't have this expense anymore, bit to the average customer it doesn't mean anything. They pick up a phone and if it has your logo on it, you make hardware. Chen doesn't understand the customer. It's been his fatal flaw. And it sunk Blackberry as we know it.

I like Chen. He's a no nonsense corporate clean up guy and he's good. He's good at cutting expenses. He's good at paring down to just the essentials. He's good for the stock holder. But he's crap for the customer.

From the day he couldn't demonstrate his own company's phone and called Android "Google" I knew we were in trouble. Expenses cut - check, headcount reduced - check, look like an *** on TV - check. Jobs is laughing in his grave.

He has made half-hearted attempts at making hardware (Leap anyone?) to using lame names for the others. PRIV? DETEK50? The pre-release code names were so much better. Yet again, Chen doesn't understand the importance of good hardware with a good name. And it's not like he's got tens of models to juggle. He's got one, or two. This is the best you can do?

And now we have the TCL partnership. Let's take an Alcatel and slap a black cover and our productivity apps on it and call it a Blackberry. Noone will know, or care, says Chen. Bang. Problem solved. You couldn't anticipate that the press would have a field day with this? Mr. Chen, appearances do matter. Word of mouth matters. Buzz matters. By launching your saviour phone that looks and smells exactly like a cheap Chinese brand phone doesn't play well with the press or the general public, regardless of the actual quality of the phone.

I feel sorry for the BB10 folks out there who are left out in the wind. There has been no talk about BB10, no reassurance from BB that you'll be taken care of. Nothing. It's like BB10 never happens. Too bad. These are your best, most loyal customers. But Chen can't see this as he can't relate to the customer. Or, maybe he can and doesn't care, I don't know.

And so we're left with a tag line - Software is the New Blackberry. Good luck. Try not to screw that up Mr. C.
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 09-29-16 at 07:29 AM.
    khlover520 likes this.
    09-29-16 12:21 AM
    Actually, this time Chen was pretty darn clear about everything.

I especially appreciated that he told the reporter. "The RIGHT question would be 'Chen, why did it take you so long (to quit the hardware business)?'"

It's not been any secret that this has been coming - there have only been a handful of people grasping at straws or deliberately in denial about the reality of the situation.

BB10 has been dead for nearly two years already. When they lay off the entire development staff, that's a pretty strong indicator that it's over. But a few people insisted that BB's marketing spin ("we continue to 'support' BB10 [even though we've told you we aren't developing it anymore in any significant way, have fired the developers, and sold the buildings they used to work in]) and convinced themselves that more development would happen or even that new BB10 devices were somehow coming. That's not really BB's fault - it's really BB fans deluding themselves because they couldn't accept the truth. Now, there's no way to avoid the truth, finally.

But BB was able to sell almost 2M BB10 devices they still had in inventory by giving people that "we still support BB10" spin, and that's money they needed to recover - as I've been saying all along. Now that they're almost out of inventory, they can stop pretending.
    09-29-16 12:43 AM
    I don't understand what all the fuss is about. People can look forward to the release of the DTEK 60 and the reported pbk Mercury. Plus you can download the BB launcher and hub+ suite on any other Android phone that you choose. Blackberry is not disappearing completly of the face of the earth.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 01:07 AM
    I don't understand what all the fuss is about. People can look forward to the release of the DTEK 60 and the reported pbk Mercury. Plus you can download the BB launcher and hub+ suite on any other Android phone that you choose. Blackberry is not disappearing completly of the face of the earth.

Can they?

We are taking one or two products outsource it to others, but we've been developing our own handset also.

So with what I announced today, we will end that activity and rely completely on partners.
    I'm doubtful mercury will ever go into production - we might see DTEK60 if they have paid for inventory.

edit:

The chief executive officer of BlackBerry said fewer than 100 jobs will be cut with its latest move away from hardware, given reductions already made, and that he had not decided whether to launch a device the company has already produced.

"If I decide not to go ahead with that phone, you may have seen the last BlackBerry-designed phone," John Chen told reporters at the company's Waterloo, Ontario, headquarters.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/28/black...-move-ceo.html
    Last edited by cgk; 09-29-16 at 01:25 AM.
    09-29-16 01:11 AM
    Can they?

I'm doubtful mercury will ever go into production - we might see DTEK60 if they have paid for inventory.

edit:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/28/black...-move-ceo.html
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-blac...oard-will-live

09-29-16 01:59 AM
    His first words "We'll probably fill that".

followed by "when we allow people to build"

"they are very excited"

They will build them, we will have others on that wall"

So if someone wants to build a keyboard device they want to pay for a license. The only Mercury we'll see is a few prototypes eventually on ebay.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 05:38 AM
    I think it's time BlackBerry looked for a new CEO. Chen has done a job at turning the company around. What BlackBerry need right now is someone who can actually grow the company. Chen seem clueless on this.

I still think BB10 is BlackBerry future combined with the software business, that is. Whether they are licencing or making the devices themselves. This is the only way BlackBerry can offer a complete solution to its customers and hopefully add value to the company.

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-29-16 07:05 AM
    ...Blackberry is not disappearing completly of the face of the earth.

Well, for me, Blackberry is/was an experience. The way BB10 worked was fundamentally different than any other device. The Android-only Blackberry is not "the real Blackberry". Sure, maybe the name & company will survive in one form or another. But at this point, who cares? There are many many Android devices out there. Ones that are much better than BB's best. Blackberry's productivity suite is simply a mediocre copy of BB10's best features. It's not the same.
    KAM1138 likes this.
    09-29-16 07:37 AM
    Yes at this point for a western consumer - BBRY becomes like Nokia - it still exists as a company and you'll read now and again in the tech press that fugtron making a licensed low end device but...
    09-30-16 02:31 AM
    "We will no longer internally develop and product hardware. We will contract with our partners to do this"

Here we go again.

Look, you're a brand that sells your brand of hardware, or you're not. Period. It may be a relief the stock holders and balance sheet that you don't have this expense anymore, bit to the average customer it doesn't mean anything. They pick up a phone and if it has your logo on it, you make hardware. Chen doesn't understand the customer. It's been his fatal flaw. And it sunk Blackberry as we know it.

I like Chen. He's a no nonsense corporate clean up guy and he's good. He's good at cutting expenses. He's good at paring down to just the essentials. He's good for the stock holder. But he's crap for the customer.

From the day he couldn't demonstrate his own company's phone and called Android "Google" I knew we were in trouble. Expenses cut - check, headcount reduced - check, look like an *** on TV - check. Jobs is laughing in his grave.

He has made half-hearted attempts at making hardware (Leap anyone?) to using lame names for the others. PRIV? DETEK50? The pre-release code names were so much better. Yet again, Chen doesn't understand the importance of good hardware with a good name. And it's not like he's got tens of models to juggle. He's got one, or two. This is the best you can do?

And now we have the TCL partnership. Let's take an Alcatel and slap a black cover and our productivity apps on it and call it a Blackberry. Noone will know, or care, says Chen. Bang. Problem solved. You couldn't anticipate that the press would have a field day with this? Mr. Chen, appearances do matter. Word of mouth matters. Buzz matters. By launching your saviour phone that looks and smells exactly like a cheap Chinese brand phone doesn't play well with the press or the general public, regardless of the actual quality of the phone.

I feel sorry for the BB10 folks out there who are left out in the wind. There has been no talk about BB10, no reassurance from BB that you'll be taken care of. Nothing. It's like BB10 never happens. Too bad. These are your best, most loyal customers. But Chen can't see this as he can't relate to the customer. Or, maybe he can and doesn't care, I don't know.

And so we're left with a tag line - Software is the New Blackberry. Good luck. Try not to screw that up Mr. C.
    Has Chen ever said anything at all?, he just speaks like an excellent politician, basically saying nothing.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-01-16 09:29 PM

Sour grapes. A lot of people have been living in this fantasy world that despite what Chen has said about BB10 and hardware, they have refused to believe it. Now that he is being clearer on what BB's intentions are, its left many in here in a state of disbelief, despite the fact that Chen has discussed this numerous times in the past. The day Blackberry released an Android device was the day that BB10 died. Its common sense. BB got rid of the BB10 development team, hasn't released an update in forever, and hasn't made a whisper of BB10 besides the political speak of "We will continue to support BB10 devices."
    JeepBB and jefbeard911 like this.
    10-02-16 08:08 AM
    Has Chen ever said anything at all?, he just speaks like an excellent politician, basically saying nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Well, He called the Android OS "Google". That's something...
    10-04-16 08:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Chen and Justin Trudeau would get along great together. They like to say nothing intelligent, and are full of crap.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    10-06-16 12:53 AM
    His first words "We'll probably fill that".

followed by "when we allow people to build"

"they are very excited"

They will build them, we will have others on that wall"

So if someone wants to build a keyboard device they want to pay for a license. The only Mercury we'll see is a few prototypes eventually on ebay.
    If you build it, "they" will come.... lol ;-DDD

  "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "  
    10-08-16 12:56 AM