I need to start off by saying I am a fan of Blackberry more than ever because I like a underdog. However, I feel, like most people, that Blackberry needs to make some big changes to its marketing and change public perception in order to survive in the smartphone market. This perception can change over time but this is something that Blackberry does not have a lot of. This may not be as important if Blackberry is sold and goes private but the brand image needs to be repaired in order to compete with iOS and Android.

Blackberry's marketing needs to change to focus on the user's experience with their device. For example the premium iOS and Android user experience is based on social media connections (instagram, snapchat, twitter, facebook). Apple does not need to define what their product is about. They merly let the iPhone brand speak for itself through these social interactions and through word of mouth advertising. They (iPhone) do not need a slogan like "Keep Moving" because their product is associcated with the trending social interactions of whichever is the most relevant in today's market place. Also the smartphone market is so board and fluid that a slogan may be relevant one day and then be irrelevant the next due to changes in the consumers experience with device.

Blackberry (RIM) has always lagged behind in offering a rich and interactive user experience with their smartphones. Blackberries strength has always been messaging and security but this does not capture the majority of the smartphone user market today. Blackberry 10 has addressed a lot of these issues but is still lagging behind in offering a mature OS and ecosystem for the trendy smartphone consumer. BB OS 10.2 is very good but still needs some more time to mature. The app ecosystem will come if the brand can be rebuilt and trending apps brought to Blackberry 10.

Essentially, I feel that Blackberry needs to link the Blackberry 10 user experience to a rich social experience in marketing. This needs to be a broad connection that the everyday consumer can relate to. This includes offering a quality product and user experience. The first step is marketing a rich social experience which will need the aggressive solicitation of trending apps so users can feel excited and connected with their phones.

Just my thoughts. P.S. The release of BMM cross platform has generated comments from my friends that point to a broken brand and poor brand perception which is why I wrote this thread.
    Last edited by bjohnston7; 10-29-13 at 08:05 PM.
    BBSpring likes this.
    10-29-13 12:32 PM
    The brand perception is very poor. portions of that are self inflicted and portions of that are because of the intense competitive environment.

Blackberry, was built by people who really only cared about the technology and found very little time to consider talking to consumers or selling the smartphone. When the market shifted, 2007-2008, a series of vital lapses allowed the competition to surge to the front in just a few short years.

Fixing the brand can only happen by communicating consistently ( including defending themselves ) and keeping promises over time. There is no quick fix and the issue might be that they have run out of time. My example is :Asking the mobile consumer to believe that the new Blackberry user experience is as rich or richer than the competition is a huge stretch, because for years they ignore it, now they need to prove it vs say it.

I'm pulling for them.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-29-13 01:39 PM
    Just my thoughts. P.S. The release of BMM cross platform has generated comments from my friends that point to a broken brand and poor brand perception which is why I wrote this thread.
    Most people think BlackBerry has already gone out of business... so yeah your perception is correct in that they have a Brand problem. Of course they have had this problem for 4 years and the launch of BB10 was suppose to be the BIG FIX for BlackBerry's brand. But unfortunately they flubbed it and have just reinforced most people view that BlackBerry is going out of business.

Yes marketing and the PR departments failed to help reinvent BlackBerry with the launch of BB10, but ultimately BB10 is not a mature operating system as you mentioned. In today's market that has two very mature and one almost there platforms, why should a user invest in this new OS that isn't supported? Add in all the other launch screw ups and you have one big recipe for a broken Brand.

At this point it is too late!

10.2 isn't going to change that.
    BBM isn't going to change that.
    Z30 isn't going to change that.
    BES License for $19 isn't going to change that.
    A new owner isn't going to change that.
    Even getting Instagram and Netflix wouldn't change it at this point.

They need another 1 to 1-1/2 years and several billion dollars to invest in building the ecosystem, maturing the OS and building customer satisfaction with BB10. They don't have the time, the billions or the capability to do this. They had 3-1/2 years to build BB10 and EVERYONE said they had one shot to get it right... they were right and BlackBerry missed by quite a bit.
    10-29-13 02:33 PM
    Best marketing strategies helps a lot to get name in the market. If Blackberry follows below mentioned strategies it will certainly helpful to the company to again come on the top:-
    - Today in the digital world growth and profitability of some businesses become less attractive and the capabilities needed to compete change as well. For this portfolio of businesses within a company may have to be altered if it is to achieve its desired financial profile or to assemble needed talent and systems.
    - Know your customer views and try to bring change accordingly.
    - Try to bring advance technology in your product and make customer aware through different marketing strategies.
    02-12-16 11:48 PM
    Brand rebuilding should focus on Android, get the android users in. Make it close but not nearly as good as bb10, brand awareness is back. Keep building android & bb10 devices. People will start getting curious and try the bb10 if they can get just the right apps (social media, streaming, music, games, banks etc). Bb10 still has promise they can still make bb10 a success, they just need to be smart about it

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 01:17 AM
    Brand rebuilding should focus on Android, get the android users in. Make it close but not nearly as good as bb10, brand awareness is back. Keep building android & bb10 devices. People will start getting curious and try the bb10 if they can get just the right apps (social media, streaming, music, games, banks etc). Bb10 still has promise they can still make bb10 a success, they just need to be smart about it

Posted via CB10
    You are correct about Android. They need to bring on the look and graphics of BB10.

I do not think that any future success will have a halo effect on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 01:46 AM
    A Commercial video demonstration showing BB10 in action is the way to go. Showing how seemless it is to navigate the OS. swiping in and out of apps and the HUB, None Stop is the way to show people the true power of BB10. To be listening to Music, while using an App, then clicking on a BBM or Text notification on top, and quickly and seemlessly going into that.
    SHOW people What you can do on BB10, Because YOU CANNOT do on iOS or Android. And that is what needs to be done in order to get people's attention.
    nt300 likes this.
    02-13-16 10:48 PM
    A Commercial video demonstration showing BB10 in action is the way to go. Showing how seemless it is to navigate the OS. swiping in and out of apps and the HUB, None Stop is the way to show people the true power of BB10. To be listening to Music, while using an App, then clicking on a BBM or Text notification on top, and quickly and seemlessly going into that.
    SHOW people What you can do on BB10, Because YOU CANNOT do on iOS or Android. And that is what needs to be done in order to get people's attention.
    You can listen to music and be in another app on android,iOS and windows mobile.

I think you meant video. But it's pointless now really. Apply has already got this on the iPad Pro thanks to the BlackBerry 10 head of Kernel development joining them last year.

This year, expect iPhone 7's or the iPhone 8 later to have true multitasking like how BB10 has, oh and yeah, apple's bull**** about how they invented true multitasking on a mobile that allows recording of a 4k video & watching another 4k video playback/youtube stream.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 11:36 PM
    BB10 seems to have been designed for the Z phone and the Q seems to have been a secondary product. It seems rather pointless to be extolling the virtues of BB10 on devices that look nothing like a iPhone. Nobody outside of the clan cares about phone operating systems. They only care about ecosystems.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    02-14-16 12:18 AM
    I still don't think such a video would sway anyone. I have done something similar in person with several people. They all say, "that's cool" and go back to their phones. The damage has been done. It is too late.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-16 11:57 AM
    You can listen to music and be in another app on android,iOS and windows mobile.

Posted via CB10
    Can you listen to Music and play a game at the same time? Not on Android and not on iOS. But you can on BB10.
    Android and iOS are not Multitasking OS's. That's a simple fact. BB10 is the only mobile OS that has Multitasking built into its core.

Rocking a Z30
    02-14-16 04:59 PM
    I still don't think such a video would sway anyone. I have done something similar in person with several people. They all say, "that's cool" and go back to their phones. The damage has been done. It is too late.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean it's too late. That's your opinion. Nothing more.
    Nothing is too late in an industry that thrives on innovation.
    We haven't seen mobile innovation in years. Only BB10 shows True Innovation. IOS and Android hit a brick wall years ago. As you can see by there highly lack luster old interface. With the pathetic back buttons and home buttons. Lol

Welcome to 2016, not 2007.

Rocking a Z30
    02-14-16 05:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Such video would sway people onto BB10. Many people would say Cool and many would jump on board. Because many feel like they are stuck with either/or Android & iOS. And they want out as soon as possible. Just give them an alternative and they would jump on board. That alternative is BB10. No Questions Asked.
    02-14-16 06:34 PM
    It's not like there weren't videos out there in the beginning. Go ahead and make one and see what kind of response you get.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-16 07:08 PM
    We haven't seen mobile innovation in years. Only BB10 shows True Innovation. IOS and Android hit a brick wall years ago. As you can see by there highly lack luster old interface. With the pathetic back buttons and home buttons. Lol

Rocking a Z30
    There is a war for software integration from desktop to phone. BB isn't in the war.
    02-14-16 09:29 PM
    Can you listen to Music and play a game at the same time? Not on Android and not on iOS. But you can on BB10.
    Android and iOS are not Multitasking OS's. That's a simple fact. BB10 is the only mobile OS that has Multitasking built into its core.

Rocking a Z30
    Of course you can. I was so baffled by reading this I double checked. I have a question. Do you knowingly say categorically false things or do you simply not know what you are talking about?
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-14-16 09:34 PM
    Well it seems you think that i do not know that BB10 is the only mobile OS which can play multiple youtube videos in the browser in addition to playing a game while playing music?

Why don't you read my post again and appreciate what i've said versus what you're accusing me of?
    02-15-16 09:58 AM

Rocking a Z30

Well it seems you think that i do not know that BB10 is the only mobile OS which can play multiple youtube videos in the browser in addition to playing a game while playing music? Well atleast my Passport does.

Why don't you read my post again and appreciate what i've said versus what you're accusing me of?
    02-15-16 09:59 AM

Rocking a Z30
    Well it seems you think that i do not know that BB10 is the only mobile OS which can play multiple youtube videos in the browser in addition to playing a game while playing music? Well atleast my Passport does.

02-15-16 10:01 AM
    Perhaps you should check out this video on a 3 (almost 4) year old Android phone:

It's so hilarious that a few people here seem to think that BB10 owns the market on multitasking. Much of the behavior you seem to think of as "not being able to multitask" is simply design decisions intended to prevent people from accidentally using up their battery life and/or data allotments, but these protections can easily be bypassed by someone who actually intends to play multiple videos simultaneously while playing games and music (as if this is some kind of realistic requirement).

Not only that, Android can do it all with far more than 8 windows at a time.
    02-16-16 09:54 AM