I've seen about 2-3 different s5 galaxy commercial all centered around LBJ... (lebron). nowhere in this 30seconds-1min video did they show anything the phone could do. It was just about how great LBJ is and how he prepares for games...

Ends with "the next big thing is here "...

Face it marketing is all about money. Samsung can afford to blow money on what I consider crappie marketing while bb's hip marketing for the super bowl (agree it's not good enough) was their 1 big shot

Zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    05-07-14 06:46 PM
    I've seen about 2-3 different s5 galaxy commercial all centered around LBJ... (lebron). nowhere in this 30seconds-1min video did they show anything the phone could do. It was just about how great LBJ is and how he prepares for games...

Ends with "the next big thing is here "...

Face it marketing is all about money. Samsung can afford to blow money on what I consider crappie marketing while bb's hip marketing for the super bowl (agree it's not good enough) was their 1 big shot

They did have some good commercials a few years ago, if I reacall correctly. The Super Bowl ad was disastrous in my opinion.
    05-07-14 06:53 PM
    S4 s5 so what?

? Slicing using my ?
    05-07-14 06:55 PM
    S4 s5 so what?

? Slicing using my ?
    Exactly the ads show absolutely nothing but swiping through images of lbj

05-07-14 06:59 PM
    They did have some good commercials a few years ago, if I reacall correctly. The Super Bowl ad was disastrous in my opinion.
    Honestly it was more fun to watch than thus one but both fail the rule of marketing 101...

Idk what they do

05-07-14 07:00 PM
    True it the super bowl add was a complete waste of time it was months before the release of the Z10 and completely forgotten about by the time of the release.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:02 PM
    Exactly the ads show absolutely nothing but swiping through images of lbj

Sadly not surprising.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/03/...nsumer-market/

BlackBerry stopped trying to compete with Android and stopped aiming at consumers right from the start of BB10.

Posted via CB from my LE
    milo53 likes this.
    05-07-14 07:02 PM
    Samsung doesn't need to tell people what their devices can do - in every ad. Everyone know what a smartphone should be able to do... and the S5 does it. Most people where this ad was released, knows others that have a S3 if S4....

Market saturation makes the marketing departments job easy.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-07-14 08:37 PM
    Samsung doesn't need to tell people what their devices can do - in every ad. Everyone know what a smartphone should be able to do... and the S5 does it. Most people where this ad was released, knows others that have a S3 if S4....

Market saturation makes the marketing departments job easy.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Isn't that my point? The tag line was "the next big thing is here " so what part of it makes it big? What does it do differently than s4...

05-07-14 08:57 PM
    Unfortunately, more people in the US are probably familiar with LeBron James than Alicia Keys.

Having LeBron James in an ad appeals to his star power, so it doesn't really matter what a product does when he is featured in an ad.

Alicia Keys hasn't had a #1 US single since 2010. She also has not had an RIAA Gold or Platinum single since 2008 (as a solo artist).

Since Alicia didn't work out for BlackBerry, maybe they should consider hiring LeBron to do an ad.
    05-08-14 12:13 AM
    Samsung's big "see what our phones can do" ads happened with the launch of the Galaxy S3, one of the best-selling phones of all time. After that, there was much less of a need to show what the phones could do, because just about everyone, even people who bought Apple or other Android brands, knew what an S3 could do. Plus, it's not like Android was a brand-new concept at that point either.

When the Z10 was released, not only was the phone new, but the OS and the ecosystem were all brand new. People absolutely DID need to be shown all of the things that the phone could do, and have it explained to them that this was a 100% all-new platform. The need for this was painfully obvious to everyone except BB's marketing team. That's a big reason (but certainly not the only reason) why the BB10 launch went so poorly.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-08-14 11:41 AM
    Samsung's big "see what our phones can do" ads happened with the launch of the Galaxy S3, one of the best-selling phones of all time. After that, there was much less of a need to show what the phones could do, because just about everyone, even people who bought Apple or other Android brands, knew what an S3 could do. Plus, it's not like Android was a brand-new concept at that point either.

When the Z10 was released, not only was the phone new, but the OS and the ecosystem were all brand new. People absolutely DID need to be shown all of the things that the phone could do, and have it explained to them that this was a 100% all-new platform. The need for this was painfully obvious to everyone except BB's marketing team. That's a big reason (but certainly not the only reason) why the BB10 launch went so poorly.
    You misjudge completely. Did I say the bb10 commercial was good? No. My point was that Samsung can afford to blow money on a crappy commercial such as this.

05-08-14 12:19 PM
    That's advertising.. Marketing is much more than that..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    TGR1 likes this.
    05-08-14 12:35 PM
    That's advertising.. Marketing is much more than that..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Important point that many miss. Designing the Z3 for and selling in primarily Indonesia - that's a big part of marketing.

I have never in my life been influenced to buy a CE based on what an actor or model or singer or sports figure gush on. Only shampoos because I am weak that way and those models do have fantastic hair. It has always intrigued me how "celebrities" actually do influence sales for just about anything, though. Certainly the stories about what is pitched overseas are interesting. I would be a huge flop at this sort of job as I just don't get what kind of bait many of my fellow hominids bite at.
    tinochiko likes this.
    05-08-14 12:57 PM
    Important point that many miss. Designing the Z3 for and selling in primarily Indonesia - that's a big part of marketing.

I have never in my life been influenced to buy a CE based on what an actor or model or singer or sports figure gush on. Only shampoos because I am weak that way and those models do have fantastic hair. It has always intrigued me how "celebrities" actually do influence sales for just about anything, though. Certainly the stories about what is pitched overseas are interesting. I would be a huge flop at this sort of job as I just don't get what kind of bait many of my fellow hominids bite at.
    I want to see something like this ;

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=928493

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    05-08-14 01:02 PM
    You misjudge completely. Did I say the bb10 commercial was good? No. My point was that Samsung can afford to blow money on a crappy commercial such as this.
    I know what you meant, but it's more than just the fact that Samsung has more money - it's because they've ALREADY educated the public about their products, so it's not necessary to do that as much anymore. Now, they can work on making and keeping the brand aspirational, and associating the brand with a popular, widely-known, wealthy athlete helps do that.

If no one knew what a Galaxy phone was or what it could do, then this Samsung ad would have been a completely waste of money, but it works because it was built on a solid foundation of educational advertising in the past.

BB tried to skip building the same type of foundation and went right to aspirational advertising with the Superbowl commercial, and it was completely ineffective.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-08-14 02:55 PM
    I know what you meant, but it's more than just the fact that Samsung has more money - it's because they've ALREADY educated the public about their products, so it's not necessary to do that as much anymore. Now, they can work on making and keeping the brand aspirational, and associating the brand with a popular, widely-known, wealthy athlete helps do that.

If no one knew what a Galaxy phone was or what it could do, then this Samsung ad would have been a completely waste of money, but it works because it was built on a solid foundation of educational advertising in the past.

BB tried to skip building the same type of foundation and went right to aspirational advertising with the Superbowl commercial, and it was completely ineffective.
    Fair enough

05-08-14 03:46 PM
    Even an imaging campaign would have been more effective.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-08-14 11:52 PM
    Superbowl....

That one Ad might have been ok... if it had been part of some larger marketing campaign. Additional commercials that explained how using a new BB10 device made all obstacles disappear in a puff of colored smoke... More TV, magazine and other print ads, web ads with an explanation of what BB10 could do, store displays and actual devices.... But unfortunately that ad was made to stand on it's own, and BlackBerry didn't even have their new product out in the Superbowl's main market for over a month after that.

But yes Samsung can afford to spend money on ads that don't directly say much about their devices.... you can do that when you are spending $14 Billion dollars. For BlackBerry who only had maybe $4 billion at the time, it was a waste.
    05-14-14 09:11 AM
    But yes Samsung can afford to spend money on ads that don't directly say much about their devices.... you can do that when you are spending $14 Billion dollars. For BlackBerry who only had maybe $4 billion at the time, it was a waste.
    To be fair, that $14B is not what Samsung spends to market mobile devices (it's only about $2-2.5B), but rather what they spend total for ALL of their many, many products, including appliances, TVs, industrial machines, etc. Samsung is huge, and has their hands into everything.
    05-14-14 09:19 AM
    To be fair, that $14B is not what Samsung spends to market mobile devices (it's only about $2-2.5B), but rather what they spend total for ALL of their many, many products, including appliances, TVs, industrial machines, etc. Samsung is huge, and has their hands into everything.
    True... but every dollar they spend promoting the Samsung "brand" helps them sell smartphones. When you buy a Samsung TV, BlueRay Player .... or any other their products and it sets in front of you every day with the name across the bottom of it... that helps sell smartphones (at least if you are happy with it).

Being Fair has nothing to do with business....
    05-14-14 11:58 AM