I don't know where to put this, but I figured since it's the Armchair CEO section, and the book is about the real CEOs of BlackBerry, then this place is fitting.

I ran across an article about a book coming out soon on the "rise and fall" of BlackBerry:
    The Inside Story of How the iPhone Crippled BlackBerry - WSJ

I would like to see CrackBerry feature a review of the book or something like that; at least mention it somewhere. I remember an article on the home page of CrackBerry many months ago about some of the things that happened behind the scenes at BlackBerry during the time the iPhone was coming out and the few years afterwards.

Does anyone plan on reading the book? I think I'm going to order it (or see if it's at my local B&N) once I've finished two other books I'm trying to get through.
    anon(9208252) and Mecca EL like this.
    05-22-15 10:10 PM
    Should be renamed

The rise and fall and back on top again,

they just can't finish it yet.
    HonnyBrown and asublimeday like this.
    05-22-15 10:33 PM
    The authors are Globe and Mail writers.... And I know plenty of former employees that are laughing at the book. Think about that for a second. While interesting, I wish WSJ had of picked a different excerpt... the story told in that excerpt is old as dirt and known by pretty much anyone who was interested in BlackBerry.

• They didn't react to the iPhone accordingly.
    • They released the half baked Storm
    • Verizon got angry and hence why the VZW relationship is somewhat.. odd.. these days.

None of what was noted in that excerpt is new.. it's rehashed information that's being floated again to sell the book but it'll work, I'll grab it to read it.
    05-22-15 10:37 PM
    Should be renamed

The rise and fall and back on top again,

they just can't finish it yet.
    Yup. Using "The Rise and Fall" is just to make it dramatic and feeds into the story that BlackBerry doesn't exist anymore. So sad to see that perpetuated. I would have preferred, "The Rise, Fall, and Climb Back Up." BlackBerry isn't were it once was, but it's looking up and trying to climb out.

I hope the book also covers other aspects of BlackBerry and its business model--not just the handsets.
    anon(9208252) likes this.
    05-22-15 11:07 PM
    05-23-15 12:22 AM
    Thanks a lot Bla1ze... the second interview was great and gave an insight to what is in the book. After seeing this I would want a chief technologist to be with BlackBerry... I would want to see Mike join BlackBerry as some sort of mentor like position.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 12:48 AM
    The authors are Globe and Mail writers.... And I know plenty of former employees that are laughing at the book. Think about that for a second. While interesting, I wish WSJ had of picked a different excerpt... the story told in that excerpt is old as dirt and known by pretty much anyone who was interested in BlackBerry.

• They didn't react to the iPhone accordingly.
    • They released the half baked Storm
    • Verizon got angry and hence why the VZW relationship is somewhat.. odd.. these days.

None of what was noted in that excerpt is new.. it's rehashed information that's being floated again to sell the book but it'll work, I'll grab it to read it.
    Why are the former employees laughing?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 01:33 AM
    Why are the former employees laughing?

Posted via CB10
    Laughing at..

• How accurate it is in some parts.
    • How grossly inaccurate it is in some parts.
    05-23-15 02:44 AM
    They claim they had unprecedented access to Jim and mike so maybe it's told from their point of view anyway I already pre-ordered should be a interesting read.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 06:11 AM
    05-23-15 06:13 AM
    Verizon got angry? Verizon got burned. Badly.

This thread should be in News and Rumors.

It will be old news to CB readers but average non techie will find it interesting.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 10:31 AM
    Verizon got angry? Verizon got burned. Badly.

This thread should be in News and Rumors.

It will be old news to CB readers but average non techie will find it interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Even if it is old news... I am sure some would like to read like me. I might just order it on Kindle if it appears.

Posted via CB10
    HonnyBrown likes this.
    05-23-15 11:48 AM
    Even if it is old news... I am sure some would like to read like me. I might just order it on Kindle if it appears.

Posted via CB10
    It's already up for pre order on Kindle 14.99

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 12:01 PM
    I wonder if there is a section about BBM and Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 12:02 PM
    Laughing at..

• How accurate it is in some parts.
    • How grossly inaccurate it is in some parts.
    Books not out yet . How can they attest to the accuracy of the book?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 12:03 PM
    My daughter pre-ordered this for me for Fathers Day! I'll enjoy it with a grain of salt, but I am looking forward to the read.
    05-23-15 02:16 PM
    They claim they had unprecedented access to Jim and mike so maybe it's told from their point of view anyway I already pre-ordered should be a interesting read.

Posted via CB10
    I wonder if there will also be info coming from the managers and employees in the company. I'd like to see what they thought about the CEOs' decisions throughout the ups and downs.
    05-23-15 03:01 PM
    Books not out yet . How can they attest to the accuracy of the book?

Posted via CB10
    There's excerpts posted all over the internet, plus if you REALLY want it, you can find it, ePub, mobi, PDF. Heck even the audio book. Not condoning illegally downloading it, just saying. It's 2015 and the internet exists. Release dates mean very little in the digital world.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-15 05:34 PM
    There's excerpts posted all over the internet, plus if you REALLY want it, you can find it, ePub, mobi, PDF. Heck even the audio book. Not condoning illegally downloading it, just saying. It's 2015 and the internet exists. Release dates mean very little in the digital world.
    Leaked. As simple as that... ;-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    jope28, IndianTiwari and sully_p like this.
    05-24-15 04:18 AM
    Interesting, I didn't know that the relationship between Mike and Jim soured in 06, over the option scandal. It pushes the time line back and brings to light when the internal problems began and ultimately caused the communication issues within the company. I had understood it to be the release of the iPhone as the wedge that came between them, but it was the nail in the coffin by that time.

If they knew they weren't up to the task they should have bowed out then, in 06, and if not then, 08 definitely . If they had passed it over to someone like JC at that point.?? Anyway It's hard to let go.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-24-15 01:01 PM
    I read the excerpts. As it takes a while to get a book published, it probably is not up to date. And BlackBerry is changing daily. Might read it.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>
    05-24-15 07:32 PM
    "The untold story" really? Pretty sure I've heard this story a hundred times.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 10:12 AM
    I pre-ordered it from Kobo. I'm interested in the book specifically because of the access to Jim and Mike the authors had.
    Laura Knotek and southlander like this.
    05-26-15 01:03 AM
    Yup. Using "The Rise and Fall" is just to make it dramatic and feeds into the story that BlackBerry doesn't exist anymore. So sad to see that perpetuated. I would have preferred, "The Rise, Fall, and Climb Back Up." BlackBerry isn't were it once was, but it's looking up and trying to climb out.

I hope the book also covers other aspects of BlackBerry and its business model--not just the handsets.
    How is it a climb back when they have yet to recover any market share and just barely shaky profitability that slipped again? The title seems quite appropriate, and it shocks me that people still have hope that they will recover in handsets. They might find a niche that lets them maintain a profitable business, but not yet. All of the niches that fans note often are not obviously not compelling enough to sustain the handset business. Yet fans keep stating them.

This might sell because even though it was well known, the detail of it still shocks me (and others) when I read it again in the excerpt. It also shocks me that people still don't see why other phones sell. To most, BB does not exist, at least as an option, any more.

I hope a book or article of BB's full recovery can still be written, but I would not be bragging about anything to date nor predicting a return to prominence.

Just one man's opinion.
    05-26-15 04:17 AM
    I, for one, have been waiting for this book. It was bound and destined to be written, and should be. I even considered writing it myself for a minute.

It probably won't be the last.
    05-26-15 12:50 PM
113 123 ...