BlackBerry should just build and design one more great BlackBerry phone. Challenge - make it better than the Passport SE! Price it for the high end buyer "After All It's The Last Great BlackBerry Phone! " . Just Do It!
    Last edited by howarmat; 05-20-20 at 09:12 PM.
    05-20-20 07:53 PM
    As long as they're at it, they should just convert a bunch of assets to cash, put it in a big pile, and light it on fire.
    05-20-20 08:01 PM
    BlackBerry should just build and design one more great BlackBerry phone. Challenge - make it better than the Passport SE! Price it for the high end buyer "After All It's The Last Great BlackBerry Phone! " . Just Do It!
    They can call it "The Nail In The Coffin Turbo 3000".

But ya, we'd all love to see a new device, but it simply doesn't make financial sense.
    Last edited by conite; 05-20-20 at 11:15 PM.
    MikeX74 and ppeters914 like this.
    05-20-20 09:31 PM
    Catchy......I'd buy one with that name!
    05-20-20 09:51 PM
    Nah. I'm waiting for the Turbo 3000 Plus, with extra nails.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-20-20 11:09 PM
    As long as they're at it, they should just convert a bunch of assets to cash, put it in a big pile, and light it on fire.

But ya, we'd all love to see a new device, but it simply doesn't make financial sense.
    Nah. I'm waiting for the Turbo 3000 Plus, with extra nails.
    Turbo 3000 Plus SE comes with lighter fluid and torch but you provide the cash plus the purchase money to begin with.....
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-21-20 06:07 AM
    TCL could at least mock it as TCL ByeBerry. 😁
    05-21-20 06:42 AM
    They already released that model, under the catchy nickname "Priv".
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-21-20 11:38 AM
    I suspect the "lets just do it" is why the KEY2 was released.

KEYone didn't do what they really expected it to do (even if marketing said it did), but they hoped that the KEY2s would be able to build on things and grow the userbase. But the demand wasn't' there for another PKB phone so soon....
    05-21-20 01:51 PM
    I think that you are right though! Either they thought the market wasn't there for the Key3 or they decided that promoting their own in house model would be more profitable. However, I wouldn't put it past John Chen cancelling the contract and look towards making an in house model related to BlackBerry's new business focus. He said that he wouldn't rule this out in recent interviews!
    05-21-20 08:45 PM
    Now John Chen has been reasonably successful refocusing BlackBerry 's business. Releasing a phone related to the new model could be an added bonus. It no longer would be the sole focus of the business. I think John Chen knows how difficult the retail phone business is and is realistic about it. I just intuitively get a sense that he is not totally done with the BlackBerry phone!
    Last edited by waldos42; 05-21-20 at 09:20 PM.
    05-21-20 08:56 PM
    Now John Chen has been reasonably successful refocus BlackBerry 's business, releasing a phone related to the new model could be an added bonus. It no longer would be the sole focus of the business. I think John Chen knows how difficult the retail phone business is and is realistic about it. I just intuitively get a sense that he is totally done with the BlackBerry phone!
    What phone would be related to BlackBerry Spark Suites and QNX Auto?

One is cross-platform enterprise end-point security software, and the other runs in cars.
    05-21-20 08:58 PM
    You only have to look at Apple's recent fumble and turn around with marketing the iPhone! It's reasonable to weigh the introduction of a new phone against what market demand might be for a new BlackBerry. I just know people are truly shocked by the move Alcatel Lucent, and really feel the need for the next BlackBerry. Is the market demand there after this shock? That question has to be carefully weighed.
    05-21-20 09:05 PM
    BlackBerry runs more than Spark Suites and QNX auto! I just can't help but think that John Chen will turn his back on 20 years of BlackBerry phone innovation. May be I am wrong! I am hoping that he will not turn his back on 20 years of history and innovation. I just can't guess what that may be. I am hoping people like you might have some better educated guesses! Thanks for the comment!
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    05-21-20 09:14 PM
    You only have to look at Apple's recent fumble and turn around with marketing the iPhone! It's reasonable to weigh the introduction of a new phone against what market demand might be for a new BlackBerry. I just know people are truly shocked by the move Alcatel Lucent, and really feel the need for the next BlackBerry. Is the market demand there after this shock? That question has to be carefully weighed.
    What recent fumble?

What marketing turn around?

Who is shocked by TCL and BlackBerry ending the licencing agreement early due to abysmal sales?
    ppeters914 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    05-21-20 09:17 PM
    I think that there has been some discussion around a more stripped down BlackBerry phone related to some single purpose business application. Again! Thanks for your input!
    05-21-20 09:19 PM
    BlackBerry runs more than Spark Suites and QNX auto!
    Well, they also have AtHoc, Workspaces, Radar, and SecuSuite - which have even less to do with in-house devices.
    05-21-20 09:21 PM
    I think that there has been some discussion around a more stripped down BlackBerry phone related to some single purpose business application. Again! Thanks for your input!
    Nope. Chen made a joke when he was talking to Bank of America during a fireside chat regarding BYOD.

BlackBerry finally shed devices in 2016 and barely escaped alive. They tried to licence some of their IP to 3 different companies who all subsequently failed spectacularly.

It's time to move on to the next step in the grieving process.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ppeters914 like this.
    05-21-20 09:26 PM
    I am not going to run through Apple's problems - over pricing due to the U.S. trade war with China, slowing down older iPhone 's OS in order to sell new phones, and many problems with security. I don't think that we totally understand what happened with the Alcatel Lucent contract. If you follow the company, it runs on a razor thin margin. Maybe it figured that it could make more money with an in house model by controlling the process. I doubt that any phone by them will sell as well as the Key2 in North America, Europe and India! I've looked at it closely and I have to say that I really just don't know! Again - I wouldn't put it past John Chen to pull the contract after frustrated discussion with Alcatel Lucent and maybe, just maybe use some of the BlackBerry history of innovation for his own purposes and not let it be decimated by a company renegotiating the contract. Again! Thanks for your input! Nice to have an intelligent discussion about this!
    05-21-20 09:41 PM
    I am not going to run through Apple's problems - over pricing due to the U.S. trade war with China, slowing down older iPhone 's OS in order to sell new phones, and many problems with security. I don't think that we totally understand what happened with the Alcatel Lucent contract. If you follow the company, it runs on a razor thin margin. Maybe it figured that it could make more money with an in house model by controlling the process. I doubt that any phone by them will sell as well as the Key2 in North America, Europe and India! I've looked at it closely and I have to say that I really just don't know! Again - I wouldn't put it past John Chen to pull the contract after frustrated discussion with Alcatel Lucent and maybe, just maybe use some of the BlackBerry history of innovation for his own purposes and not let it be decimated by a company renegotiating the contract. Again! Thanks for your input! Nice to have an intelligent discussion about this!
    First, Alcatel is just another licenced brand name for TCL - just like BBMo was.

Second, non-BBMo TCL devices sold orders of magnitude more devices than BBMo ever did.

Last year, TCL was the 4th largest Android OEM in the US, and only a small fraction of those sales came from its BlackBerry brand.
    05-21-20 09:49 PM
    Thanks again for the info! I obviously did not look at all the brand's TCL sold. My point is still that we can only conjecture whether TCL wanted to renegotiate the contract for BlackBerry much more to their benefit, whether they saw better ways of making money with their in house brand or whether John Chen pulled the renewal of the contract due to frustration with negotiations with TCL.
    05-21-20 10:08 PM
    there was no “renewal” as the original contract had years left on it
    05-21-20 10:10 PM
    This still does not rule out the use of 20 years of innovation to introduce a hand set that may be related to the variety of focuses that BlackBerry now has! We just have to wait and see whether opportunity arises.
    05-21-20 10:13 PM
    Thanks again for the info! I obviously did not look at all the brand's TCL sold. My point is still that we can only conjecture whether TCL wanted to renegotiate the contract for BlackBerry much more to their benefit, whether they saw better ways of making money with their in house brand or whether John Chen pulled the renewal of the contract due to frustration with negotiations with TCL.
    Here's what we DID know:

1 - Sales of BBMo devices was abysmal - less than 1.5 million devices in 3 years, which is FAR below expectations.

2 - TCL did not want to keep paying BlackBerry according to the terms of its contract, because of the disastrous unit sales.

3 - BlackBerry was unwilling to renegotiate its pricing structure, as they had no interest in proceeding for any less ROI.
    05-21-20 10:14 PM
    This still does not rule out the use of 20 years of innovation to introduce a hand set that may be related to the variety of focuses that BlackBerry now has! We just have to wait and see whether opportunity arises.
    Twenty years of device innovation, and many years of colossal losses. Good riddance.

The only money BlackBerry ever made off devices was SAF revenue during the BBOS years.
    05-21-20 10:16 PM
64 123