Apple is the sole exception to the carrier restrictions, and it took Apple over a year to negotiate that with AT&T (and was one of the reasons Verizon originally passed on the iPhone).
    And yet they negotiated this position, when they had no phones to sell at all.

Your other suggestion was access to Google Play. The requirements for Google Play access are well-known and publicly available. A few of those:

• You must be running FULL ANDROID, certified by Google, and including the Google Framework. This fully disqualifies BB10.
    • You must join the Android Alliance.
    • You must pre-install Google Apps.
    • You may not make Android-based/variant phones that are not Google-certified.

Clearly, BB10 is absolutely never going to have direct access to Google Play.
    Clearly that means the avenue must not be pursued, even if negotiating indirect access.

You completely avoided my question, what exactly was your suggestion, again?

I replied to your post because neither of your replies were even remotely grounded in reality, and have been discussed many times before.
    Well, firstly, I only had ONE reply, that you decided to jump on, and your original reply added absolutely nothing of value, neither as an argument against my suggestions, nor to the conversation.

I seem to recall that the "make BBM multi platform" discussions, held frequently, were not "remotely grounded in reality," and "had been discussed many times before." I'll let you search the forums for all of the conversations replete with the same attitude you're holding now.
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-10-13 03:41 PM
    And yet they negotiated this position, when they had no phones to sell at all.
    Impressive wasn't it!

Clearly that means the avenue must not be pursued, even if negotiating indirect access.

You completely avoided my question, what exactly was your suggestion, again?
    Brick Wall - Amazon had to create their own store to use with their version of Android....

Well, firstly, I only had ONE reply, that you decided to jump on, and your original reply added absolutely nothing of value, neither as an argument against my suggestions, nor to the conversation.

I seem to recall that the "make BBM multi platform" discussions, held frequently, were not "remotely grounded in reality," and "had been discussed many times before." I'll let you search the forums for all of the conversations replete with the same attitude you're holding now.
    I agree with Troy... BlackBerry doesn't have the clout to get Carriers to "bend" to their demands. And Google isn't going to "play" nice and just let BlackBerry take advantage of their app store. Sideloading is a developer feature... don't think BlackBerry official even mentions it as anything but.
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-10-13 04:01 PM
    I agree with Troy... BlackBerry doesn't have the clout to get Carriers to "bend" to their demands. And Google isn't going to "play" nice and just let BlackBerry take advantage of their app store. Sideloading is a developer feature... don't think BlackBerry official even mentions it as anything but.
    All BlackBerry needs to do, in that case, is to continue doing nothing about "Leaks," possibly provide more of them, and possibly make it easier to install (not to say the process is difficult, rather, that it requires a specific environment to do so.)

As for Google, well, they won't say no to money. Perhaps Google Play access was a hasty thought, but, amongst my peers, the selling point to them was that BB10 also runs Android apps. "Neat!" they thought until it came down to:

"Oh, how do you do that."
    "Just follow these seventeen easy steps!"

That's something that could be capitalized upon. I know it was an appealing draw to me, though sadly unfulfilling. Even if it simply means linking Google Play apps somehow, through BlackBerry World even, BlackBerry suddenly has dealt with its app issue, and Google has an extra (though small) revenue stream.
    09-10-13 04:24 PM
    If BB linked to the Play Store, they'd be served with a Cease and Desist inside 48 hours, and probably be blocked on Google's side too. To do this would be a violation of the Play Store Terms of Service, if not outright illegal.

Google is activating more Android devices every TWO DAYS than BB *ships* in a quarter. Google really doesn't need BB's few users, and they could get sued by other Android Alliance members and even companies like Amazon who had to follow the Play Store rules. Heck, they could very well get sued by the app authors as well. It's simply not going to happen. Way too many legal agreements are in place that would be broken.
    09-10-13 11:53 PM
    All BlackBerry needs to do, in that case, is to continue doing nothing about "Leaks," possibly provide more of them, and possibly make it easier to install (not to say the process is difficult, rather, that it requires a specific environment to do so.)

As for Google, well, they won't say no to money. Perhaps Google Play access was a hasty thought, but, amongst my peers, the selling point to them was that BB10 also runs Android apps. "Neat!" they thought until it came down to:

That's something that could be capitalized upon. I know it was an appealing draw to me, though sadly unfulfilling. Even if it simply means linking Google Play apps somehow, through BlackBerry World even, BlackBerry suddenly has dealt with its app issue, and Google has an extra (though small) revenue stream.
    As a Z10 owner I would LOVE for us to have access to Google Play. And I'm sure that at this point, even BlackBerry would LOVE to give users an option to fill the holes in their ecosystem. And while Google would make some profit from those additional sales.... that isn't where Google makes most of their money. It is still from ad revenues and being able to deliver customers to advertisers. You take away the requirements to use an Android Device (which are set to use google search, google mail and google search, that all server up ads and customers) and Google loses their MAIN source of revenues.

I'm wondering if the use of Developer Tokens isn't Google trying to force BlackBerry to limit the usage of sideloading to developers only.
    09-11-13 11:03 AM
    Lay out their plan to the public to show they are not going anywhere. Which will hopefully encourage more enterprise costumers to take the leap.
    09-11-13 12:37 PM
    If BB linked to the Play Store, they'd be served with a Cease and Desist inside 48 hours, and probably be blocked on Google's side too. To do this would be a violation of the Play Store Terms of Service, if not outright illegal.

Google is activating more Android devices every TWO DAYS than BB *ships* in a quarter. Google really doesn't need BB's few users, and they could get sued by other Android Alliance members and even companies like Amazon who had to follow the Play Store rules. Heck, they could very well get sued by the app authors as well. It's simply not going to happen. Way too many legal agreements are in place that would be broken.
    Wow, dude. Who said anything about doing it illegally or maliciously? Seriously. "Hi Google, we'd like to present the software you having in Google Play in our storefront. We'll offer you X to do so, plus we keep 5% and pass all the rest down to you. Yadda yadda yadda. Etc."

P.S. Three replies in and you haven't mentioned what your suggestion is. How about providing something constructive? BlackBerry needs to do SOMETHING, "Oh that'll never work," "Oh that's not even realistic" and "Pah, who needs a couple of extra million in sales" don't meet that criteria. That mantra is pretty much how they managed to find themselves where the are today.
    09-11-13 03:12 PM
    Z30 won't be for everyone.
    Need 2014 version of Z10 or similar.
    3 1/2 months until first release of Z10.
    Like a Z10s?
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    09-11-13 03:14 PM

IMHO Google Play Services is Google's attempt to end forking and fragmentation and avoid the carriers. Updates are pushed through the Play Store, no carrier or OEM involvement at all. Many of the important parts of the OS have already been moved and I think more are coming.

I don't completely understand how this will affect BlackBerry going forward as GPS will not work without access to the PlayStore as I understand it.
    09-11-13 03:32 PM
    Give BlackBerry a person with a vision and make that person a decision - maker. This is the biggest thing lacking at BlackBerry; one, cohesive, focused vision.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 07:13 PM
    Android support on BlackBerry 10 is nothing more than another standard developers can use to bring their apps to the platform, much like C++, HTML, Native, etc.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 07:16 PM
    Wow, dude. Who said anything about doing it illegally or maliciously? Seriously. "Hi Google, we'd like to present the software you having in Google Play in our storefront. We'll offer you X to do so, plus we keep 5% and pass all the rest down to you. Yadda yadda yadda. Etc."

P.S. Three replies in and you haven't mentioned what your suggestion is. How about providing something constructive? BlackBerry needs to do SOMETHING, "Oh that'll never work," "Oh that's not even realistic" and "Pah, who needs a couple of extra million in sales" don't meet that criteria. That mantra is pretty much how they managed to find themselves where the are today.
    "Don't waste time on wild goose chase ideas" is a pretty constructive business suggestion.
    09-11-13 07:30 PM
    Rename BlackBerry to research in motion
    Split qnx from it and name it qnx
    Split bbm from it and call it bbm

What you get:

- qnx for special things + cars
    - rim for bes and server software + phone os
    - bbm as chat program + channels

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 07:33 PM
38 12