Yup, agreed. How the hell BlackBerry gonna win the market if the big name apps developers only built their apps for market giant leaders, Apple and Android? That ain't fair!
    08-15-13 08:46 PM
    Blaming it ont the app ecosystem is a hollow argument.... In the case of apps.... everyone will always find featuers of apps that are not available... on most platforms... does that make it a failure???? seems for many yes... how do you answer the poster when Netflix, Instagran and Hulu are all avaible for BB and they pull out the next list of what is not available.... Apps are simply a bill of goods we have been sold to make the vendors money.... the bill of goods is that do not look at what you can do with you device.... look at what is missing.... if you judge by what is missing not other platform other than Apple and Android stands a chance.... Blackberry is plain and simply in a predicament of their own making.... if they die it will by a self inflicted wound and not by lack of anyting....
    It isn't a question of a "failure" or not. The point is that for most people to buy a BB at this time they are likely to have to give up a lot of things they use in the form of unavailable apps. There has to be a compelling reason for them to do that. And I don't see that reason except for people like me that like the keyboard on the Q10.
    08-15-13 08:46 PM
    Yup, agreed. How the hell BlackBerry gonna win the market if the big name apps developers only built their apps for market giant leaders, Apple and Android? That ain't fair!
    Sure it's fair. Why should they lose money to help Blackberry.
    08-15-13 08:47 PM
    That's not Blackberry's decision to make. To work with Google Play, the OS must be certified by Google.
    This should be a sticky or banner on the front page to alleviate the misguided dreams of Android nirvana on BB10.
    Google won't certify an OS that is part Android, part something else.
    And herein lies the problem: Part Android, part something else.

Good call.
    08-15-13 08:56 PM
    you forgot the current CEO that said "there is nothing wrong with the company" after the stock went from triple digit to single digit
    Maybe he was "Thinking the unthinkable."

"At the very core of RIM – at its DNA – is the innovation. We always think ahead. We always think forward. We sometimes think the unthinkable."
    Thor Heins.
    08-15-13 08:57 PM
    The primary reason is due to rank incompetence immediately after Blackberry reached it's success pentacle....
    ...There was essentially no forward thinking, no evolution of ideas, NOTHING.
    ....This is the reason the ecosystem and a horde of other things are so dire right now.

Not that we need one but here is another example of how bad things really are!

I bought a Q10 because I am a big fan of both the form AND the real keyboard.....
    ...I do a "backup" on the Z10 and was UNABLE to restore said backup to the Q!
    ...I was also unable to perform the "switch device" either.

After nearly three hours on the phone with Blackberry level 2 support I was given the bad news.....
    ...Because the software version was higher on one device than it was on the other.
    ...A "switch device" OR "restore from prior backup was / is impossible".

I was told that Blackberry was aware of the issue and it was in their KB and that I should expect an update.....
    ...At some point in the future that would address the problem.
    ...Until then - all they could offer me was "I'm sorry".

I paid slightly over 100 bucks for the Z10 off CL and slightly under 150 for the Q10 ( Craigslist ).....
    ...So I'm not really that upset because I bought the devices at "fair market value".
    ...Still, that RIM continues to GONG SHOW importance stuff like this demonstrates the Rick Rolling Job Thor has done.
    Dunmanway Emar likes this.
    08-15-13 09:12 PM
    I completely agree about the apps. I think the gaming apps are great, but I just want the simple eBay, PayPal, and my banking app. Those are the ones I miss the most. I get tired of seeing all the junkie apps cluttering up BB World. There have been so many times that I have been held back, because I was out away from a PC, and didn't have an app to do something quickly..instead I would have to load the browser and go to it that way..such a pain. I really like BB10 and think it has great potential, but if they don't get the essentials (even the top few apps) in BB World, it's probably not going to last.
    08-15-13 09:28 PM
    Thanks for tha backup Bla1ze
    08-15-13 09:49 PM
    One poster stated that part of the problem was that BB10 was almost as geeky as android. Without android ports, and side loading I would have an email and social media device only. I like the OS, and it's jestures, but if I want apps, I must side load. In my opinion, the biggest problem that BlackBerry faces. It's pretty bad that the only way I have my banking app is because it was an android port.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 09:57 PM
    We need those apps... I love Netflix, I need my banking and credit card apps and BlackBerry does not have it.. I'm with BlackBerry because of the high security so I don't fear my personal info will be Jeopardize . So with that being said,... BlackBerry can you please give me what I need!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 10:33 PM
    Its pathetic that I can get Wells Fargo old app on older phones but not on BB 10... Google Maps not on BB 10 is even more pathetic... Vine or Instagram still not on Blackberry... PATHETIC. I am sorry but everyone who contributed to BB 10 are idiots, such idiots...

RIM really hit rock bottom.... it's sad.... and it angers me so much because I'm a crackberry head! But.... honestly.... Blackberry 10 has failed tremendously... even though I am not switching to any phone from my Q10 (I still love my keyboard damn it!!!) I would LOVE for them to release a better improved phone next year hopefully with a trackpad too that the 9900 had, maybe even with a small Call and End buttons would be cool too...

Come on RIM... you can do it... please don't kill yourself.
    08-15-13 11:05 PM
    The question remains: "How to make BB World more attractive? How to make the ecosystem welcoming? How to ensure that on every single ad, magazine placement, Starbucks App of the Day/Song of the Week Blackberry gets a chance to show its prowess?"
    08-15-13 11:15 PM
    Having big names application is a must otherwise we will leave your platform period. It only takes one day for me, that I really sorry having this device, lucky I have other two platform with me WP 8 and my old galaxy note, but I don't want to bring so many devices everyday. Please note that Z10 with such a high price is not protecting with any corning gorilla glass? Common with this price range you should consider to build solid device. Wait and see is nothing but a looser.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 11:15 PM
    An ecosystem is more than just apps. its the accessories and services too. for example look at an iphone, you have a gazillion cases to choose from, thousands of home hifi systems with dock connectors and every other accessory you could want.

As for BlackBerry? well, 6 months in and still no Z10 charging dock, not a massive amount of big name cases and compared to even other brand new phones not much else.
    Do apps matter? heck yes, they should of paid for the top ones, heck even if cost them avg $2m per app, they could still get the top 50 apps out there for $0.1bn out of their much talked about $3.1bn.

I was always taught you save your cash for a rainy day (living in the uk, im glad that's metaphorical lol) but it rained on BlackBerry and they failed to spend.
    08-15-13 11:22 PM
    If BlackBerry goes down we will have 1 less option to choose when our contracts are up. I'll probably get the newest iphone and sell it cuz I need my qwerty. Q10 for life.

Posted via Q10 using CB10
    08-15-13 11:26 PM
    One of my problems, it is That the most used and common apps, arent in the BlackBerry World, like instagran o Netflix, or Candy crush, is a Great smartphone, but to get into the competition we need most popular apps. I bought this z10, in the dominican republic, the first night of the Lounge and I love it, but is no the matter of how many apps are, the problem is That the most common we don't have it

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    08-16-13 12:27 AM
    And another thing is, BlackBerry is waiting a longitud time to Lounge New apps, we don't see Google maps, or shazzam, and i Will repeat it, Netflix, Instagram, and I know That RIM can Maker this changes for real. What happened to the letter " Research In Motion "
    Senda from my BlackBerry Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 12:39 AM
    I think the number 1 reason they are struggling is poor marketing. . Not trying to troll. There is an app gap too. But building a larger base will help that.

7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> Z10
    08-16-13 12:41 AM
    An ecosystem is more than just apps. its the accessories and services too. for example look at an iphone, you have a gazillion cases to choose from, thousands of home hifi systems with dock connectors and every other accessory you could want.

As for BlackBerry? well, 6 months in and still no Z10 charging dock, not a massive amount of big name cases and compared to even other brand new phones not much else.
    Do apps matter? heck yes, they should of paid for the top ones, heck even if cost them avg $2m per app, they could still get the top 50 apps out there for $0.1bn out of their much talked about $3.1bn.

I was always taught you save your cash for a rainy day (living in the uk, im glad that's metaphorical lol) but it rained on BlackBerry and they failed to spend.
    Very well said. An ecosystem encompasses more than just apps. This is where, in my mind, Android has really made strides in catching up to iOS. Cases, docks... heck, even specific high end headphone apps make any platform more attractive.

As an aside, that is where fragmentation hurts Android somewhat. Samsung and the Nexus devices get the lion's share of fitted accessories; if you get a less popular Android device, fitted accessories are not as plentiful, though usually not scarce by any means.

But that is one area I think BBRY can make improvements: bettering the accessory ecosystem. I think if more branded stuff were available, folks would scoop them up for a reasonable price.
    08-16-13 12:49 AM
    Blackberry can never catch up to the iphone or Android ecosystems. When I still had my BB I asked numerous companies I deal with to make an app for BB too, and I was always told the same thing " we don't plan on making a Blackberry app at this time because not enough people use those devices". So it's a catch 22.............no apps means people won't buy the devices, and then the companies won't make an app because not enough consumers have a BB.
    08-16-13 12:57 AM
    The lack of apps is definitely a major problem and one of the reasons why BB is failing. I can't help but wonder though, what would have happened if BB went with Android and we had all those big name apps available to us.

Is it too late to announce something like this now to try and save what's left? I'm not sure but abandoning software and focusing on hardware only would probably give BB a little breathing space in this extremely fast moving/competitive market.
    08-16-13 12:58 AM
    Come on guys, this apps lacking issue is false, really. The real problem is the consumer behavior which believe that can solve every problem of his small life with an app. The world has now weird tastes and everything is mess ed around. This is why something which may be an idiocy for a normal person cnd be very interesting for the others. In nowadays something must be provocative and for sure will be successful. Nobody will notice that the provocative thing will last 20 minutes...but no matter if he/she understand, they will go back to the ******* appstore and search for another new prpvocative crap app. This is the true and this is why people says the number of app ecosystem matters. No it didn't matters because they don't have the time needed to evaluate all that many hundred thousands of app. Every one remind about few important names( for me means nothing crap apps like Flickr, instagram or other like this...I find them meaningless...) but didn't says that all apps know are maximum 100 names, they didn't download many in their smartphone life....
    So what the heck this app issue?
    From my point of view the only thing matter is the hardware:
    - ergonomics
    - software platform
    - crashing issues and how the platform deal with it, n order to not affect user experience
    - the flow, design and function effects, how nice and useful in say by day use is
    These are the most important things.
    The iPhone has deal it very well.
    The Android system is not so good but is every where because many producers want it to fight against iPhone and adopted the platform.
    Windows is a very good sistem but lacks n design...
    BB is searching his way...for sure there will be many unsatisfied by the others ecosystem consumers which will stay from now on with them, or adopt the new BB10 platform( which by the way is the best, I'm using it and after seeing all others I can say it! )

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 01:11 AM
    Come on guys, this apps lacking issue is false, really. The real problem is the consumer behavior which believe that can solve every problem of his small life with an app.
    yea many people say that, which also means they know people use apps and do value them. so no matter if you agree or not with their view, you know what their view is and should therefore aim towards that if you want to sell to them.

You can either try telling people they don't need apps and have them shout back `yes we do` or you can give people apps and watch them be happy. you`ll note the two dominant OS`s went for the latter approach.
    08-16-13 01:21 AM
    yea many people say that, which also means they know people use apps and do value them. so no matter if you agree or not with their view, you know what their view is and should therefore aim towards that if you want to sell to them.

You can either try telling people they don't need apps and have them shout back `yes we do` or you can give people apps and watch them be happy. you`ll note the two dominant OS`s went for the latter approach.
    Exactly.

Simple logic really. If you need the extra functionality apps bring, or you don't need apps, the dominant two have you covered.

It's not like apps force your to install them.
    ubizmo likes this.
    08-16-13 01:30 AM
    I miss my banking apps that I had on my iPhone. I even wrote to my banks here in Belgium to ask if an app for Blacberry would come soon, but they are waiting to see if BB OS 10 will grow in market share before developing anything. all other platforms have those apps, just BB OS 10 not!
    PS: but I am very happy with my Q10 (exchanged my iPhone 5 for it) and really hope OS 10 will be successful.
    08-16-13 03:09 AM
229 12345 ...