JC,

With the advent of 10.2.1.1055 (or higher) -- you now have an OS that is close to being a real contender for the "average" smart phone user. As much as we Team Blackberry enthusiasts love BB - we are not the norm. Most people can not figure out how to sideload Bars, upgrade to Leaked OS's, or are willing to deal with small bugs on key apps. As the too often term goes, it has got to be "drop dead simple".

The other thing you have to contend with - is that given BB10 took longer than expected to make (all software does), you have the problem of converting iPhone and Android users now. Riding the wave of feature phone to smart phone conversions is over. So, BB has to have a distinctive value proposition for Customers, and has to have a SUPER simple path to get converters from one platform to BB10.

From this persons point of view - I think that there are two populations you can focus on: Android users and iPhone 4/4s and below users. You will not be able to get the iphone 5 people because they have already made their decision.

Things to do immediately (this is really for the US - perhaps not other countries):
    1. Disconnect OS updates from the Carriers. Everyone else seems to have found a way (Google with pure android devices, and Apple - always had it their own way). The carriers are no longer helping you (they do not even sell your phones in the store). So, cut your own deal to upgrade the OS as fast as you can.
    2. Get 10.2.1 out there by Jan 1 2014. And, it has to be upgradable over the air. Most people are not willing to blow away their phones in order to get a Leak. The OS is great now that it can load APK's so get this done.
    3. Get a new Flagship phone (all touch) ready to go in Feb 2014. And, please, make it with the latest hardware and with premium beautiful design and materials. Do this with the launch of 10.2.1. 4GB Mem, faster processor and graphics, Bluetooth 4.0, your cool antenna, and a better screen at the next higher resolution (4.7in at 1080 x 1920 pixels - maybe that screen from the HTC One - more on that later), camera. The "premium phone" for executives.
    4. Update BB World to load both Bar's and APK's. In the end, you need to have all App's (approved) findable in one place for customers. Again, drop dead simple.
    5. Before the Feb 2014 mega launch of the new Flagship phone - get the top App's APK's into BB World. BB has done an excellent job of getting a ton of Games, and even the Multimedia content into BB World. But, you need the critical 50 apps. We all know what the are. They are the ones that Iphone and Android users use to claim they can not get what they need: Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Path, Pinterest, Hulu, Starbucks, IMDB, Netflix, Pandora, Airline Apps, SportsCenter, All news apps (i.e. Fox still missing), banking apps, Amazon Apps, and Google Apps (more on that later), etc, etc, etc.
    6. If people can get the Apps they need, on hardware that runs fast - you will have achieved, "table-stakes". It is a tough world now.

Convert Android users:
    - Android is a soulless experience. And, the UX, regardless of KitKat is still crap. Google's email app is terrible. widgets are pretty useless
    - So focus on: Hub, BBM, communications, and the BB10 Native Apps. Do deals with App companies that have made beautiful BB10 cascade apps - like the emerging Evernote, IheartRadio,

Convert iPhone Users:
    - This is going to be tough. I have tried with my friends. Once in the Apple ecosystem (imessage, itunes, etc) is the hard for non-sophisticated smartphone users to switch. You probably need some type of 'step by step" wizard in order to get them to unhook themselves from the Apple Ecosystem.
    - So imagine a service that is able to go in a read what Apps you have on your apple phone and in what folders), and re-creates this to the degree possible on a BB. Folders named appropriately. Similar Apps, already downloaded and installed in those folders ready to be setup. And, key settings in the Apple ecosystem, shut off (like iMessage). You might have to have this done as a part of the setup process - where people could put in their Apple ID and password, and you pull their iphone and setup from the Icloud (including music)

Finally - back to Google and HTC. HTC is struggling as much as you are. Like you - they are excellent what what they do - which is make great hardware. The HTC One, is still one of the best Android phones out there. Do a deal with these guys, and license BB10 to them. Perhaps do a limited inventory run of these to see the receptivity to it, and sell them on Blackberry.com. You have to find partners - all of the cheap Chinese phone makers are in essense shills for Google.

Google. The fact is, Google is too powerful. You might be able to get App developers to try and not use Google's proprietary services, but i think that is a stretch - especially as time goes on. Get a deal done, give them the default search on the BB, and other stuff. They are better on your side than not.

Sorry so long. Just had to put it out there.
    11-30-13 10:48 AM
    Nice write-up
    11-30-13 10:51 AM
    I like pretty much everything that you're saying. I think he speed is critical. I would love a new top notch phone by feb2014. But I just don't think it's realistic considering how long things take to come to market.

I definitely agree that they should cut away from the carriers and release the new OS asap and ota.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 01:41 PM
    JC,
    Convert Android users:
    - Android is a soulless experience. And, the UX, regardless of KitKat is still crap. Google's email app is terrible. widgets are pretty useless
    - So focus on: Hub, BBM, communications, and the BB10 Native Apps. Do deals with App companies that have made beautiful BB10 cascade apps - like the emerging Evernote, IheartRadio,

See I think this statement is just wrong and why alot of android users will laugh at you. Sure for some people widgets might not be needed but I think many people use them. Kitkat is FAR from crap. To say that you are just showing blind fanboyism and are just as bad as the person saying "bbs are for your parents and outdated."

I agree with some of the stuff you said and agree HTC would be a good partner to do the hardware for BB10 to run on.
    11-30-13 02:10 PM
    I agree with everything you're saying and have been saying basically the same thing myself with respect to the Z10's spiritual successor which needs to be a 4.7" screen superphone no bigger than the Z10. They need to be unafraid of bringing out a phone that leaves the critics and john public iOS and Android faithful and the fanboys (and girls) with nothing left to criticise. This first year has been a good learning experience for BlackBerry so now they should have a ton of feedback especially the negative (regardless if it's unfair or highly biased) to work with. They can aim to make the new BlackBerry 10 Devices the Best "Android" Phones as well. Similar to how one can arguably say that the Macbook is the Best Windows laptop out there (once you put Windows on it of course).

I actually didn't mind the Z30 Screen being "Only" 1280 x 720. It's actually an excellent trade off which favours responsiveness in 3D applications and games without requiring a more powerful SOC while still offering an awesome visual user experience and at the same time helping it to achieve the excellent battery life which are benefits that the user can actually use. Not just gimmick features which some other manufacturers use in order to differentiate their products which are many times good ideas in theory but are impractical to use.

I understand though that people compare and make decisions based on specs on paper and word of mouth and in a crowded and cut throat market you can't afford to be even one bullet point behind the leader because everyone nowadays seems to want the "best". This best is not what we might think is best but the best that the mass media and general public is saying is the best.

So BlackBerry needs to make it much easier to choose BlackBerry over anyone else by eliminating all of the little things which might sway an already skeptical buyer to the competition.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:20 PM
    See I think this statement is just wrong and why alot of android users will laugh at you. Sure for some people widgets might not be needed but I think many people use them. Kitkat is FAR from crap. To say that you are just showing blind fanboyism and are just as bad as the person saying "bbs are for your parents and outdated."

I agree with some of the stuff you said and agree HTC would be a good partner to do the hardware for BB10 to run on.
    I'm with him (I actually lol'd - though I'm no longer using a droid). Android is far from soulless IMO. I would argue it's the least of all the OS's out there. You can customize it exactly how you want - which makes for a very engaging experience.

Posted via CB10
    chr1sny likes this.
    11-30-13 03:01 PM
    Follow through I can't conciously tell others to buy anything from them make the playbook promises real a version of bb10 and bbm there are so many that felt betrayed by Blackberry they won't be back until it is fixed
    11-30-13 03:15 PM
    Thanks for the comments guys. Appreciate the feedback. I am not a fan of the Google Android experience (as different from Apps themselves). I have an HTC One running 4.3 and a Nexus 7 2013 running Kitkat. There is just nothing wonderful about either other than their ability to run apps. I use the Nexus daily due to the form factor. I try to switch to the HTC, and just can't bring myself to make that the daily driver. I am also not a fan of the way that "sharing" happens and Android. Bb10's is nicer (if not fully utilized by apps).

The cool thing about Android is perhaps the plethora of Launchers or Mods (CM) that you can use to create the experience of your choice. So, perhaps that is the edge. The down side is that unless you get the Google version of android, the S4 and even HTC One are pretty fragmented experiences.

I also guess, if Android consolidated all the communications into a Hub like functionality, rather than just notifications, I might feel differently. Phones to me, are for communication first. BlackBerry does this best in my mind.

I would be REALLY interested in seeing BlackBerry 10 run on super hardware. It is pretty awesome on this low end processor now, so imagine being on the processor running the S4?

I am a BlackBerry fan-boy. I think I am a fan, because it is good, not just because...

What BlackBerry should be scared of... an Android launcher that mimics the BB experience. I might then switch.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leejayh; 11-30-13 at 06:58 PM.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    11-30-13 04:30 PM
    I agree with everything you're saying and have been saying basically the same thing myself with respect to the Z10's spiritual successor which needs to be a 4.7" screen superphone no bigger than the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    THIS! I hope somebody from BB hardware design reads this. Other manufacturers can do this, BB should be able too.
    11-30-13 05:15 PM
    I agree with everything that you've said besides the negative comments about Android. Quit being biased haha

But really, I think you had a lot of really good points and I think BlackBerry really needs some brand reps to go to various cities through the US and really figure out what people don't like about BlackBerry. Honestly, the best place to do this might be at universities. College kids tend to start a lot of trends and they are the upcoming generation. They have more potential to convert users than high school kids or older people. BlackBerry really needs to ask them what they want out of their smartphone and then do exactly that. We all have ideas about what BlackBerry's problem is but I think a good survey of the population would allow BlackBerry to really rank the requirements that people have for their smartphone. Then after this they could produce an update to bb10 just out of this information. This would be a huge update but it would finally focus on the concerns of the population

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 02:26 PM
    HTC is struggling as much as you are. Like you - they are excellent what what they do - which is make great hardware. The HTC One, is still one of the best Android phones out there. Do a deal with these guys, and license BB10 to them. Perhaps do a limited inventory run of these to see the receptivity to it, and sell them on Blackberry.com. You have to find partners - all of the cheap Chinese phone makers are in essense shills for Google.
    Not an option unless HTC drops out of the Open Handset Alliance. OHA members are prohibited from manufacturing phones, for themselves or third parties, that use OSs which include non-certified Android (read: BB10, or Amazon's fork of Android). Note that this doesn't apply to non-Android OSs, like WinPhone, which use no Android code.

There were only a couple of manufacturers (besides Apple) that weren't OHA members, and BB has used both of them - one for the Playbook (Quanta Computer) and the other for BB phones (Jabil Circuit). They no longer have a contract with Jabil Circuit, and likely don't have one with Quanta. Quanta is the manufacturer of the Kindle Fires for Amazon, FWIW.
    12-09-13 03:05 PM
    I think John Chen could benefit from taking a few days to be a BlackBerry retail representative. Would give him a first-hand look at what BlackBerry's public perception is really like.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 03:46 PM
    I think John Chen could benefit from taking a few days to be a BlackBerry retail representative. Would give him a first-hand look at what BlackBerry's public perception is really like.

Posted via CB10
    What makes you think he doesn't know that already? You think he took the job without doing due diligence?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    12-12-13 04:04 PM
    What makes you think he doesn't know that already? You think he took the job without doing due diligence?

I'm sure he knows. But I think the point would be driven home.

Chen seems to be a very intelligent man. I'm certain he knew exactly what he was getting into when he took the job and I'm excited to see what he does to turn the company around.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 04:15 PM

Chen seems to be a very intelligent man. I'm certain he knew exactly what he was getting into when he took the job and I'm excited to see what he does to turn the company around.

Posted via CB10
    I think BlackBerry is in good hands with Chen. And if they weren't committed to remaining in the handset business we would have seen a sale already. I'm assuming that Chen A) was aware of this commitment before he took the job and B) that he had a turnaround plan.

I get that people are frustrated with where the company is right now, but change IS coming.

FlashFlare11 likes this.
    12-12-13 04:54 PM
    Camera - not necessarily higher mp but just a few more tweaks, it's improved a lot since launch and I hope it continues to do so,

Also on the usability I think they need to rethink the way you view pictures, right now I find it easier using file manager than the picture app

On the Apple thing that's a brilliant idea, I'm just not sure that it would work practically to its full extent considering the problems with Apple email address syncing from launch, but i would love to see something like that especially folders etc
    Although it would require a lot of work in order to function well , maybe I know it's a bit longer but if the user lists all the apps they want at the beginning then they are downloaded

Because i was thinking what if the apps they had are not there? And i dont just mean those you can get apk's for, there are some apps that are only useful on ios so maybe a program that showed what apps where on bb10 and for those that weren't native/werent relevant suggest some apps on BlackBerry World to download instead..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-14-13 02:03 AM
    The fixation on tech misses that the main problem for BBRY in the consumer market is they are too small and have a collapsing carrier network - tech doesn't solve either of those problems.
    12-14-13 03:33 AM
    The fixation on tech misses that the main problem for BBRY in the consumer market is they are too small and have a collapsing carrier network - tech doesn't solve either of those problems.
    Can't market a half baked product, rather improve the product first then market, than market a product that in the medium run will mean complaints etc

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-14-13 03:46 AM
    Can't market a half baked product, rather improve the product first then market, than market a product that in the medium run will mean complaints etc

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    The product to me is a hygiene factor and with a mature market like smartphones of ever decreasing importance - a terrible phone will cost you sales but a good one doesn't add any - it's all the other (financial/network) factors that are more important.
    12-14-13 03:55 AM
    Folks - i posted this in another thread (the one where the OP said BB should leave the US). I thought that it might have applicability to this thread so I am repeating some parts of it here. One of the key things in staying in the US, as we have discussed, is making sure that BB can connect to the right audience, be differentiated and CONVERT users - which is all it has left in the US. BB also has to grab a focused segment because it is not going to win the masses at this stage.

To me, a plan like this would be:
    1. Google Play integration. I hope that they found some type of deal with Google. Put Snap like functionality directly into BlackBerry world so that you can pull from either BB apps, or Google Apps. This stops the "app gap".
    2. Fix bbm's continued issues and add some key features. Fix groups. Add calling to landlines like Skype - it already is integrated into your Contact. Don't make me pull up Skype. International travelers really use this. And, make it easier to invite and connect with others. It is still a little unclear to the new user how to do this easily.
    3. Make a better flagship phone aimed at business people. So, premium materials (yes - metal, something that an executive can be proud of), with hardware similar to the latest android devices. So, that the ***** pundits that don't spend the time to actually get to know the phone can't crap on it just because they want to do a lame spec analysis.
    4. Develop a real marketing position based on doing research and talking to US Customers. What space can BlackBerry own? Business seems to be the best for now. Even though it has a ton of games, it is not going to ever win that battle versus the Samsungs. So, go back to business, own it will the Hub, Security, and BBM (with Skype-functionality)- perhaps aimed at the enterprise and MDM and BES10.
    5. Develop a real ad campaign. Around that new Business position. You know who I suggest as a spokesman? John O'Hurley (in a J. Peterman type of role) as an executive doing some crazy stuff in far off countries looking for goods or having crazy experiences for his business using all the cool features of the phone (BBM Video, posting to Channels, emailing to his executives, typing his experience on Facebook, using Connect to Salesforce to update his sellers, updating Instagram with the wonderful things he has found, etc ). I can see tons of funny things that character could be doing, using bb10 features in a business setting. In the tail end of the commercial, i could see him on the plane after a long journey playing some silly game like Need for Speed.
    6. Hit the right demographic with that message hard. Shore up your core market.
    12-14-13 03:38 PM
    Folks - i posted this in another thread (the one where the OP said BB should leave the US). I thought that it might have applicability to this thread so I am repeating some parts of it here. One of the key things in staying in the US, as we have discussed, is making sure that BB can connect to the right audience, be differentiated and CONVERT users - which is all it has left in the US. BB also has to grab a focused segment because it is not going to win the masses at this stage.

1. Google Play integration. I hope that they found some type of deal with Google. Put Snap like functionality directly into BlackBerry world so that you can pull from either BB apps, or Google Apps. This stops the "app gap".
    2. Fix bbm's continued issues and add some key features. Fix groups. Add calling to landlines like Skype - it already is integrated into your Contact. Don't make me pull up Skype. International travelers really use this. And, make it easier to invite and connect with others. It is still a little unclear to the new user how to do this easily.
    3. Make a better flagship phone aimed at business people. So, premium materials (yes - metal, something that an executive can be proud of), with hardware similar to the latest android devices. So, that the ***** pundits that don't spend the time to actually get to know the phone can't crap on it just because they want to do a lame spec analysis.
    4. Develop a real marketing position based on doing research and talking to US Customers. What space can BlackBerry own? Business seems to be the best for now. Even though it has a ton of games, it is not going to ever win that battle versus the Samsungs. So, go back to business, own it will the Hub, Security, and BBM (with Skype-functionality)- perhaps aimed at the enterprise and MDM and BES10.
    5. Develop a real ad campaign. Around that new Business position. You know who I suggest as a spokesman? John O'Hurley (in a J. Peterman type of role) as an executive doing some crazy stuff in far off countries looking for goods or having crazy experiences for his business using all the cool features of the phone (BBM Video, posting to Channels, emailing to his executives, typing his experience on Facebook, using Connect to Salesforce to update his sellers, updating Instagram with the wonderful things he has found, etc ). I can see tons of funny things that character could be doing, using bb10 features in a business setting. In the tail end of the commercial, i could see him on the plane after a long journey playing some silly game like Need for Speed.
    Google play integration, whilst a viable short term solution is not for the long term, we need native apps

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-15-13 01:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    He could care less.......
    12-15-13 02:17 AM
    He could care less.......
    how was he the last time you saw him?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    12-15-13 02:38 AM

I think it would be very helpful to have Google Play included in the BB10 OS. I do NOT think it would be wise to integrate it into BB World. What you're suggesting would completely kill any incentive to develop native apps for BB10.

You see to assume that they aren't already working on this. They've already said that iOS and Android xBBM would get voice and video.

I won't try to pretend that the Z30 is cutting edge, but have you actually compared its specs to the competition? Aside from the camera it's the same hardware as the flagship Nokia Lumia, it uses the same graphics chip as the GS4, and 2GB RAM is still not solid across the board, even in that market. I have to tell you, I get iPhone users remarking on how nice the big screen on my Z30 looks. You can talk about quad-core phones from Oppo and LG all you want, but the market has been pretty "meh" about them.

Again, you seem to speak as though you didn't think they were doing this already.

This, I'll give you props on. I'm assuming that a campaign is being designed, and that the company is being kept in a deliberate "dark" period while they prepare something significant. I like your idea, though, and I agree that it has to be something catchy and funny, and that John O'Hurley would actually be a pretty good choice.

Identifying the "right demographic" is a big challenge, and one that changes in almost every market.
    12-15-13 07:29 AM
    First I think he needs to work out what Blackberry really want to be. Security and good for business aren't going to be things that appeal to the mass market.
    12-15-13 07:42 AM
27 12