No no...not Obama's BlackBerry.

I'm talking about the phones poor people on food stamps and Medicaid get. Seriously, it's possibly a good idea depending on if they can make even the slightest profit on them.

Gov phones are becoming somewhat of a fad these days. I got one with ease and I'm not even poor. I see tons of hipsters jumping on the wagon too. They simply make great backup devices to have on hand. Some companies are even doing Android gov phones these days.

I have a phone of every OS out of the big four and BB10 is by far the easiest to learn. That right there is great for the market that generally use them. Do a tier below the Q5 with possibly even a Pearl style keyboard and a cheap touch screen. It would introduce so many people to the OS. I don't think it would give BlackBerry a "poor person" rep either. Even if so, it's better than most people thinking they are dead.

I just don't see what could go wrong. I'm sure nobody makes gov phones for free and the fact you can get Android ones now shows that a lot of these companies are willing to invest in smart gov phones.
    09-24-15 10:37 PM
    No no...not Obama's BlackBerry.

I'm talking about the phones poor people on food stamps and Medicaid get. Seriously, it's possibly a good idea depending on if they can make even the slightest profit on them.

Gov phones are becoming somewhat of a fad these days. I got one with ease and I'm not even poor. I see tons of hipsters jumping on the wagon too. They simply make great backup devices to have on hand. Some companies are even doing Android gov phones these days.

I have a phone of every OS out of the big four and BB10 is by far the easiest to learn. That right there is great for the market that generally use them. Do a tier below the Q5 with possibly even a Pearl style keyboard and a cheap touch screen. It would introduce so many people to the OS. I don't think it would give BlackBerry a "poor person" rep either. Even if so, it's better than most people thinking they are dead.

I just don't see what could go wrong. I'm sure nobody makes gov phones for free and the fact you can get Android ones now shows that a lot of these companies are willing to invest in smart gov phones.
    How does this work? Does the government pay for the persons carrier connection? Do they get data?
    I think it's an interesting idea.
    09-24-15 11:31 PM
    How does this work? Does the government pay for the persons carrier connection? Do they get data?
    I think it's an interesting idea.
    Honestly not completely sure who pays the most ultimately, but I'd imagine a lot comes down to the tax payers. I believe that would fall under the government category. If my tax dollars are going towards free phones though, may as well go to a company I want to watch succeed.

Not predicting that BB would make a load off these phones either. It's exposure and a growing user base though which never hurts.

Also yes, they get limited data. How much depends on who provides their device.
    09-24-15 11:45 PM
    Honestly not completely sure who pays the most ultimately, but I'd imagine a lot comes down to the tax payers. I believe that would fall under the government category. If my tax dollars are going towards free phones though, may as well go to a company I want to watch succeed.

Not predicting that BB would make a load off these phones either. It's exposure and a growing user base though which never hurts.

Also yes, they get limited data. How much depends on who provides their device.
    If I was sufficiently skint to not have a pc, a Q5 could be a real winner.
    The physical keyboard would come be indispensable.
    09-25-15 04:06 AM
    You might find http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12026235 interesting.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 11:43 AM
    Would not be surprised if the Government (US) gave away $700 phones to food stamp recipients...... but I imagine they are going for the lower end hardware that is much cheaper. Something that BlackBerry isn't able to do with their volume or outsourcing.
    10-29-15 11:49 AM