It's now clear that in 2-5 years they will exit gracefully from handsets. Priv is on track to hit 2 Million a year. They need 5 million a year to stay in the handset business as they stated earlier.

I hope they make one more high end priv 2 before they go so I can buy a couple of them to last me the next 5-10 years.

but the good news is they are cash positive still and doing pretty decent. The company as a software is going to thrive soon.

So the company is saved from deletion its now clear its not going anywhere but handsets are a no go.

It would be cool if Samsung paid blackberry for the keyboard patients and starting make the S8 or S9 have a keyboard version!!! but would samsung care for a messly 2mill sales per year where they would have to pay berry a fee for each unit sold? I doubt it.

an average galaxy phone sells around 50 million a year.
    04-01-16 01:23 PM
    Doubt we will see another "high end" BlackBerry, Chen kinda made it clear that wasn't where he needed to be.

What is also clear... consumers don't care about PKB devices. If Samsung wanted to use a BlackBerry design on their "clip on" keyboard (that I have never seen in the wild), they could have asked. But I doubt they taught adding $10 - $15 a keyboard would have been worth it.
    04-01-16 02:48 PM
    I have to laugh at all the people last quarter who told everyone that this quarter would see higher shipments.

It's the same story every quarter where I'm told that.

Even the Android phone did nothing to stop the decline.
    04-01-16 02:51 PM
    It's now clear that in 2-5 years they will exit gracefully from handsets
    You really think they need 2-5 years to exit? Way too positive imho
    04-01-16 02:58 PM
    When no one knows you exist... there is exactly zero chance of success.

Chen will never get it... that is clear now.
    andy957 likes this.
    04-01-16 03:00 PM
    I hope for their sake that they don't wait 2-5 years! I think they'll make the decision in this calendar year.
    04-01-16 03:00 PM
    When no one knows you exist... there is exactly zero chance of success.

Chen will never get it... that is clear now.
    Chen understands better than you do. The game was over in 2011, and Blackberry lost before BB10 even began.
    04-01-16 03:32 PM
    I hope for their sake that they don't wait 2-5 years! I think they'll make the decision in this calendar year.
    Chen is on record as saying that he will ... this year.
    04-01-16 04:14 PM
    Chen is on record as saying that he will ... this year.
    I've been generally sympathetic to Chen, but the call today was really poor. They weren't prepared for obvious questions (like Q/Q organic growth in software, for example).

Now if they follow that performance with a launch of another phone, I would really start to question his competence.
    04-01-16 04:22 PM
    I've been generally sympathetic to Chen, but the call today was really poor. They weren't prepared for obvious questions (like Q/Q organic growth in software, for example).

Now if they follow that performance with a launch of another phone, I would really start to question his competence.
    BB won't launch another phone. Ever. Again!

Chen doesn't need until September to decide that Hardware has no future. He realised that back in February when BB had the unpublished quarterly sales figures. It's also why talk of the Vienna, widely tipped to be "previewed" at MWC, subsided into silence around the same time. And the Marshmallow announcement in Q1 wasn't made.

Chen fully understands that releasing another (presumably cheaper, so smaller ASP) Android phone will make it harder for him to reach the (new) 3M profit floor... and all for the 200k units they'd maybe sell? It would make no commercial sense whatsoever. Chen is smarter than that.

As I see it, today's ER was final confirmation that BB is done with Hardware.

They'll keep poking the corpse with a stick every now and then to make it twitch and so convince the gullible potential buyers that BB is still undecided about hardware, and will drop hints (as Chen did today) that hardware could become profitable... so that the gullible will continue to buy BB phones... but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Hardware is dead.

If anyone claims to see "life" ... look closely for the stick!
    04-01-16 05:26 PM
    He said 3 million in an interview today but it was 5 million before?

Is that him teasing pretending it's possible?

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    04-01-16 08:36 PM
    Here's a good question when Blackberry leaves handsets and just focus on cars software

Will you guys go stick with android or back to bb10? Or dare I say try a snapple iphone?

04-01-16 08:40 PM
    He said 3 million in an interview today but it was 5 million before?

Is that him teasing pretending it's possible?

its 5 million when the ASP of around $315 like this and the previous qtr....but if you introduce a lower ASP device that brings that to $200 then you are probably close to needing 5 million a year.

And I highly doubt they have 2-5 years left in phones available to the general consumer.
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    04-01-16 08:48 PM
    Chen understands better than you do. The game was over in 2011, and Blackberry lost before BB10 even began.
    So why are you still here then? Per such logic why didn't you leave in 2011?

And if Chen is dumb enough to keep making and selling devices that never make current profits or have any chance of turning a profit... well I'll just let that dumb speak for itself...
    TheAuthority likes this.
    04-02-16 01:57 AM
    The folks at BlackBerry Central seem very confident that Chen will make the hardware profitable by the end of this year lol

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 02:19 AM
    It's now clear that in 2-5 years they will exit gracefully from handsets. Priv is on track to hit 2 Million a year. They need 5 million a year to stay in the handset business as they stated earlier.

I hope they make one more high end priv 2 before they go so I can buy a couple of them to last me the next 5-10 years.

but the good news is they are cash positive still and doing pretty decent. The company as a software is going to thrive soon.

So the company is saved from deletion its now clear its not going anywhere but handsets are a no go.

It would be cool if Samsung paid blackberry for the keyboard patients and starting make the S8 or S9 have a keyboard version!!! but would samsung care for a messly 2mill sales per year where they would have to pay berry a fee for each unit sold? I doubt it.

an average galaxy phone sells around 50 million a year.
    Speculators and haters

Posted via Priv...
    azdesertrose77 likes this.
    04-02-16 02:20 AM
    Doubt we will see another "high end" BlackBerry, Chen kinda made it clear that wasn't where he needed to be.

What is also clear... consumers don't care about PKB devices. If Samsung wanted to use a BlackBerry design on their "clip on" keyboard (that I have never seen in the wild), they could have asked. But I doubt they taught adding $10 - $15 a keyboard would have been worth it.
    The pkb on the Priv is not required to use the phone. What is clear is that even though Blackberry foolishly chose Android in a market where they lost share, not due to pkb, but due to a flooded consumer market. Also, no one trusts them. If it's not a Samsung and less a LG then it's not an Android device that will sell to the masses. See HTC , Motorola Sony. The Android users want to hear from Samsung as to what they are doing next, regardless of the tech, and whatever that is will be followed soon by LG. Consumers who buy Android, do so knowing that the other big camp is Apple.

It's Android (Samsung/LG) versus Apple. Who would buy a Blackberry to make a stand against Apple? They don't want to seem weak. You're not going to hear an Android fan buy an HTC so they can brag about the same features they may have with a Samsung against Apple fans.
    04-02-16 06:38 AM
    So why are you still here then? Per such logic why didn't you leave in 2011?
    I've only been here less than a year and a half. Figure that one out
    04-02-16 07:30 AM
    Go big or go home. It just seems like BlackBerry didn't want to spend the legitimate money necessary to re-brand through a global ad campaign. In fact, maybe that would've bankrupted them and Chen didn't want to risk it. But no risk no reward in business too.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and crackberry_geek like this.
    04-02-16 12:29 PM
    Go big or go home. It just seems like BlackBerry didn't want to spend the legitimate money necessary to re-brand through a global ad campaign. In fact, maybe that would've bankrupted them and Chen didn't want to risk it. But no risk no reward in business too.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly!

Chen had the best opportunity since about 2008.

Risk? Yes, of course... but just like you said "... no risk no reward..."

There is of course no guarantee it would have worked.

But Chen had the best opportunity of any of their last few CEO's... and he willingly chose failure.
    04-02-16 12:38 PM
    I don't get it? You say BlackBerry should stay in hardware for half a decade longer, but then you go on saying they won't even hit half of their sales target for year 1? I'm pretty sure that's a little contradictory.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    04-02-16 12:42 PM
    If BlackBerry drops handsets now they will lose all credibility with regards to their software as well. It will take a while.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-02-16 02:04 PM
    If BlackBerry drops handsets now they will lose all credibility with regards to their software as well. It will take a while.
    That is true... but the real problem is that BlackBerry's credibility has already been trashed by their unbelievable ineptitude with handsets... and exponentially worse under Chen.
    04-02-16 02:25 PM
    I don't think it will have any effect on software. Companies drop products all the time and keep selling others. And one doesn't need the other.

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    04-02-16 04:08 PM
    Yeah... sustainability and survivability claims will be hard to uphold... :-(

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-04-16 01:10 AM
37 12