Chen, create a Kickstarter or something....if there is public interest, there are resources just waiting to pour in! Make it your personal project with BlackBerry's support if you like, producing the phone you would want to use; a phone with a vision shared by others displaced by mainstream demands.
    John Albert and EskeRahn like this.
    02-05-20 01:13 PM
    Chen, create a Kickstarter or something....if there is public interest, there are resources just waiting to pour in! Make it your personal project with BlackBerry's support if you like, producing the phone you would want to use; a phone with a vision shared by others displaced by mainstream demands.
    Why would the CEO of a $1 billion dollar annual revenue company take his eye off the ball to fart around with a kickstarter program?

Devices are done, finished, over. Move to the next step of the grieving process.
    CHIP72, pgg101, ppeters914 and 2 others like this.
    02-05-20 01:15 PM
    1) If there was enough public interest.... the four companies that have tired to sell BlackBerry phones in the last five years, would still be doing it.

2) What resources? BlackBerry's cash flow is pretty limited at this point.... any extra is going incorporating Cylance.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-05-20 01:18 PM
    Why would the CEO of a $1 billion dollar annual revenue company take his eye off the ball to fart around with a kickstarter program?

Devices are done, finished, over. Move to the next step of the grieving process.
    Grieving process, exactly. Good point. I'll continue the pipe dreaming for my own sake. I'm not moving along too well in that process. And I am sure there are more like me. And if I am not alone, maybe there is a glimmer of hope.

If Chen really wants this phone for himself and makes it happen, I am sure he will want to share the love!
    02-05-20 01:23 PM
    From the Green Acres episode....
    Attached Thumbnails I'll be with you Chen,-oliver.jpg  
    02-05-20 01:33 PM

If Chen really wants this phone for himself and makes it happen, I am sure he will want to share the love!
    He doesn't care. He'd use anything that was given to him.
    02-05-20 01:53 PM

The next step is to look out for and support whatever PKB devices may arise...

For now it's Titan and Pro 1
    02-05-20 02:05 PM
    So I saw Chen in town - he was smooching with someone called Enterprise - I told him that you needed him and he said that he was going to get right on it... but he had to leave town first for a while... oh and he got a new iphone and he would be *sure* to text you the number....soon.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-05-20 02:07 PM

I feel zero compulsion to support projects I don't like.
    02-05-20 02:07 PM
    They're not my PKB cup of tea either, but that's how desperate times are for those who want to keep typing on plastic.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    02-05-20 02:17 PM
    They're not my PKB cup of tea either, but that's how desperate times are for those who want to keep typing on plastic.
    I don't see how the buggy whip industry was saved by the dollars of the few remaining buggy whip enthusiasts.
    02-05-20 02:28 PM

Tell me about the Pro 1. Thanks
    02-05-20 06:29 PM
    @EskeRahn

He is the most knowledgeable member here about that phone
    EskeRahn likes this.
    02-05-20 08:36 PM
    Landscape keyboard and $1000.00 Canadian. That's all i needed to know.
    02-06-20 12:40 AM
    Grieving process, exactly. Good point. I'll continue the pipe dreaming for my own sake. I'm not moving along too well in that process. And I am sure there are more like me. And if I am not alone, maybe there is a glimmer of hope.

Even multi-billionaires have hobbies.
    02-06-20 03:08 AM
    From the Green Acres episode....
    That wasn't his dream phone kickstarter...that was him taking a poll....either that or his doppleganger reporting on the democrat presidential race iowa polls with some android device or other using google cloud or something.
    02-06-20 09:20 AM
    I don't see how the buggy whip industry was saved by the dollars of the few remaining buggy whip enthusiasts.
    I think they upgraded the BlackBerry Pager-horse-powered buggy whip to the BB10-internal-combustion-qnx-engine one.
    02-06-20 09:25 AM
    I know next to nothing about the Pro 1...the Titan was compelling until I learned of the China "leaks," in embedded firmware.
    02-06-20 09:31 AM
    I know next to nothing about the Pro 1...the Titan was compelling until I learned of the China "leaks," in embedded firmware.
    I have nothing against any of these little Kickstarter phones, but they are only in this for one reason, and that's money. As such, I will purchase if I find the product compelling, and won't if I don't.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-06-20 09:52 AM
    What would you like to know?

Perhaps you could start with my (p)reviews/reflections on a retail unit, a final sample and a pre production unit

I also experimented with some cases/shells for it.

I'm very much a fan of the Pro1 (More or less what i have been waiting for, for a decade), but am not affiliated with the company, so I do have points of critique also.
    givechanceachance likes this.
    02-06-20 10:02 AM
    I have nothing against any of these little Kickstarter phones, but they are only in this for one reason, and that's money. As such, I will purchase if I find the product compelling, and won't if I don't.
    The Pro1 is NOT a crowdfunded project.... They had been working on it over a year and had working prototypes demonstrated, before they even took in pre-orders....
    Though they were highly optimistic in taking in the payments for the early pre-orders around Aug 1st, as they expected to send those back in September though the first were not delivered before November.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-06-20 10:13 AM
    The Pro1 is NOT a crowdfunded project.... They had been working on it over a year and had working prototypes demonstrated, before they even took in pre-orders....
    Though they were highly optimistic in taking in the payments for the early pre-orders around Aug 1st, as they expected to send those back in September.
    Well, then I'll use "tiny boutique" instead of "kickstarter". Same result.
    02-06-20 10:15 AM
    Luckily consumers have products from other companies to choose from that are not focussed on profits - apple, Samsung etc lol
    kvndoom, Bay 13 and EskeRahn like this.
    02-06-20 10:23 AM
    Well, then I'll use tiny boutique instead of kickstarter. Same result.
    Actually I would say it the other way round, it is the large ones that are in it for the money. That is exactly why we don't see say Samsung doing keyboard phones: They can get better profit in other projects.

The small projects are usually driven by some people that are really burning for an idea they got. You know the classic "I want a gizmo like this, let us make it and sell it". This is why so many small projects fail, because they have no clear idea of the market potential. To much hope and vision you could say. The idea that "if I want it, then there must be millions out there that want it too". And even if there ARE millions spread sparsely around the globe, they might be hard to reach, if they are not part of some network already, you can hook into.
    the_boon and ppeters914 like this.
    02-06-20 10:27 AM
    Actually I would say it the other way round, it is the large ones that are in it for the money. That is exactly why we don't see say Samsung doing keyboard phones: They can get better profit in other projects.

The small projects are usually driven by some people that are really burning for an idea they got. You know the classic "I want a gizmo like this, let us make it and sell it". This is why so many small projects fail, because they have no clear idea of the market potential. To much hope and vision you could say. The idea that "if I want it, then there must be millions out there that want it too". And even if there ARE millions spread sparsely around the globe, they might be hard to reach, if they are not part of some network already, you can hook into.
    Whether they are successful or not is one thing, but their intention is to make money. Gotta put food on the table.

If you believe the people behind the Cosmo, the Pro1, or the Titan are purely altruistic, then I have some swamp land to sell you.
    02-06-20 10:32 AM
55 123