I'd be spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to sell the company to Microsoft, who, ultimately has a similar product focus (enterprise), is one of the few companies that might be interested which would even be allowed to buy it, and who has the resources to compete.

Microsoft is embracing supporting various mobile platforms. BES gives them cross platform MDM, that's already trusted. This is where they're are headed anyway.

The problem is where bb10 fits. Likely it would be dropped for phones. But QNX of course would be valuable going forward.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-22-15 10:26 PM
    I'd take a careful look at every Android OEM not named Samsung, specifically their financial results and market share Q-o-Q and see just how worthwhile it would be to compete in that space. Right now, one company owns that space(Samsung, who's second overall in profits behind Apple) and the others barely make a profit. I'd focus on letting the general public know that my company still exists and still makes hardware. Then, I'd worry about making drastic changes.
    06-23-15 02:12 PM
    Fix bb10.. Stop trying to pretend it's a device issue and not an os issue. Fact is, people don't like bb10... Even with android apps they still don't like bb10. Sure a full touch is needed but zero evidence it would do a thing to address what keeps happening quarter after quarter...
    06-23-15 02:48 PM
    Not hearing much, "I'd do what Chen is doing."

Posted via CB10
    Nick Spagnolo and Batibreaker like this.
    06-25-15 01:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MikeX74; 06-28-15 at 06:44 PM.
    06-28-15 10:32 AM
    Tells me that folks don't think much of his decisions so far.
    06-28-15 06:46 PM
    I would change the name back to RIM. I prefer to see the name of the company separate from the product it's making. It's like if Google changed it's name to Android. "I'm androiding for nearby restaurants" doesn't have the same ring to it. LOL

I would lower the subscription prices on BBM. I think $4.99 a year would be good. And include video chat cross-platform!

Make commercials! Show off why BBOS10 is better than iPhone or Android. Show how BB helps you get more done for work. I remember seeing a good commercial back in the day for the Pearl. It was a day-in-the-life of an active woman using her BlackBerry Pearl to handle work, family, and fun.

Make an upgrade to the Z30. I love the keyboard phones, but people really want a new all-touch phone. Make it better than the Z30, not another Leap. I'm sure the Leap has it's market, but I feel people want that Z30 successor. Maybe call it the Quadra. The name alludes to "40".

And lastly, check my golden parachute in case all these ideas ruin the company. LOL
    06-28-15 08:45 PM
    Hmm.. I think I would stick to the way Chen started off. But after a year increase a bit of marketing with strong word of mouth and social media. Hit it where it counts. Try to revamp the image a bit. That I feel has been lacking.

Blackberry Classic | Circa 2015
    06-29-15 02:11 PM
    Tells me that folks don't think much of his decisions so far.
    He's at a disadvantaged compared to the posters so far.

He's constrained by reality and fiduciary responsibility.
    06-29-15 03:18 PM
    I would have launched Z50 and a PlayBook 2.

I would have admitted that a large portion of my customer base is consumers and would have created at least my website/services more "consumer-friendly".

For everything else, I am not sure if would have done things so differently.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 06:07 AM
    Sell the company the moment I could establish value for shareholders. This is hard to do as my product continues to create little value to the public so why would my ROI to investors be any different?

Z10/Q10, 10.3.1.2708
    07-06-15 08:59 AM
    Sell the company the moment I could establish value for shareholders. This is hard to do as my product continues to create little value to the public so why would my ROI to investors be any different?

Z10/Q10, 10.3.1.2708
    Because of the portfolio of patents. They are worthless to the public, but any other cell phone company would love to have them.
    07-06-15 01:43 PM
    He's at a disadvantaged compared to the posters so far.

He's constrained by reality and fiduciary responsibility.
    Many may not like what he has or hasn't done, as most here are smartphone fans and it's clear that division is in trouble.

But within the realities of the world, I don't think there was much Chen could do. Personally I think most of what he has done has been aimed at making the company more valuable - flip this corporation as it were. Chen has made key purchased and talked a lot about the future and opportunities in key markets... but getting product to market in these areas has been slow coming. Thor was the one that talked about the IoT... that was almost two years ago. And so far product like BBMx, xBBM, Channels, BES12 have all made almost no impact.

I think Prem and Chen might have been hoping to get maybe $18 a share for BlackBerry. But it's clear that no one is going to pay that much, and time is now running out. So unless Chen has some products to lauch pretty soon that can generate revenues.... Prem is going to have to settle for what he can get.
    07-09-15 03:39 PM
    Have a consumer division and an enterprise division. The consumer side focuses on people and their products. The other side focusing on computer to computer business. While each part or division ultimately overlaps each other, it is the intensity and focus of the respective division that makes the difference. It's not just about hardware and software, it's people, hardware and software. This is a point blackberry seems to miss.
    Last edited by abwan11; 07-12-15 at 11:11 PM.
    Sean Fanelli likes this.
    07-12-15 10:56 PM
    ..focus and innovate. It is what made Blackberry big in the first place. Don't worry about that silly app market. Don't waste valuable time trying to win the hearts of the Flappy Bird and the Burp Counter crowd.

Focus on improved hard- and software design, and make Blackberry the Swiss Army Knife among phones.

Documents, printing, transfer of data. Like how BBM transfers pdf , word and excel. that sort of development, that is the Blackberry market. FOCUS AND INNOVATE on that. Not on Flappy Bird.

Innovate. For example, would it be possible to make BBM read Whatsapp and vice versa.(like a merge)

I would like to be able to add anyone on any messaging platform to my BBM. In the chat header it will show who is on what platform. Effectively reversing what Whatsapp did. Whatsapp came up with a cross phone chat platform.

Is it possible to make a cross chat platform application?

People will see that I am on BBM and they would also be able to receive my BBM smileys etc and vice versa, I would see that they are on Whatsapp and I can receive their Whatsapp icons and so on.

INNOVATE

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 03:50 PM
    Don't worry about that silly app market.

Posted via CB10
    Because that's worked out well so far...
    ayngling likes this.
    07-18-15 07:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe because he is doing absolutely nothing.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 08:16 AM
    Chen is doing the right things. Focused on mostly the right areas. He has made a number of product errors, not the least of which is not making a mainstream all touch device to follow up the z30.

I have said it in other threads. Take the Passport internals. And stick them into a 4.7-5.0 screen device. Make it narrower than the z30 by getting rid of the left and right bezel, and use the Passport design language.

That should have been planned for a Feb March launch, not the stupid Leap. Major error.

Next, I think the move to Android is right. Enough said in that.

I wiukd also accelerate the development of the BlackBerry experience and price the suite at about $25 per year. Hub, bbm, Keyboard as mainstream. And then add in other apps at a fee on top of that.

Iot is going to be hard to make money at. Downplay that until there is a real plan.
    07-19-15 11:41 PM
    Timing is everything!

If I were hired today: nothing different from what Chen is doing, he's playing with the cards he's been dealt.

If I were hired in 2010, I'd make sure the BB10 launch was not half assed and have made sure that we launched the new platform in early 2012, not dribble devices in 2013.

No matter what, I sure as he'll would not have advertised the company is for sale!!??????

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 01:00 AM
    Very very simple:

I would get all hands to the pump on 2 new devices:
    9790 upgrade
    9900 upgrade (don't tell me the Classic is, it's too big)

Killer internal specs and screen etc....just make it the best.
    07-20-15 01:52 PM
    I would design 6 new handsets, classic 2, passport 2, Z50, Z20, Slider and one more off the wall with the latest specs, high end cameras, only make $100 on each handset, to get them all out there and create Bb11 for them all, no more Double Type, fire digital river and lets see, did I leave anything out? Oh yeah, advertise

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    BerryRipe and anon(1308230) like this.
    07-20-15 01:57 PM
    Very very simple:

I would get all hands to the pump on 2 new devices:
    9790 upgrade
    9900 upgrade (don't tell me the Classic is, it's too big)

Killer internal specs and screen etc....just make it the best.
    Any evidence that either the 9790 or 9900 would sell in today's market?

We have now had four Keyboard devices... and none of them have sold very well. I think it's time to admit that most users don't want a keyboard that limits their device's usefulness as a content viewer. Books, Web, Videos... all just work better on a full screen device.

While I understand most EVERYONE here want a new device with "KILLER INTERNAL SPECS"... I just don't see that being something at this point that would increase sales or even be profitable for BlackBerry. No matter if it were All-Touch, Keyboard or even a Passport....
    ayngling likes this.
    07-20-15 02:07 PM
    Any evidence that either the 9790 or 9900 would sell in today's market?

We have now had four Keyboard devices... and none of them have sold very well. I think it's time to admit that most users don't want a keyboard that limits their device's usefulness as a content viewer. Books, Web, Videos... all just work better on a full screen device.

While I understand most EVERYONE here want a new device with "KILLER INTERNAL SPECS"... I just don't see that being something at this point that would increase sales or even be profitable for BlackBerry. No matter if it were All-Touch, Keyboard or even a Passport....
    The Leap with Passport specs, and a few dollars dearer,... I guess there'd be less complaints here on CB...

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-21-15 01:43 AM
    Yeah because none have been the organic advancement of the 9790 or 9900. I know so many people that have had the 9790 and just held out for a genuine upgrade (incl me) and finally resigned to iPhone or something (also me - I simply had no choice)
    07-23-15 04:18 PM
    If I ran BlackBerry, I wouldn't screw all BB10 Developers for one, and I would provide proper Marketing efforts to show how superior BB10 phones and the platform is over the competition. I would have also released a full touch high end BB10 phone and not ignore current Z10/Z30 owners and the consumer market. This is all possible on top of the software focus. Ya $3B in cash is useless if you don't use the bloody thing and grow your market slow but steady.
    Fix bb10.. Stop trying to pretend it's a device issue and not an os issue. Fact is, people don't like bb10... Even with android apps they still don't like bb10. Sure a full touch is needed but zero evidence it would do a thing to address what keeps happening quarter after quarter...
    I haven't heard more nonsense in my life. You obviously know nothing about BB10. Its far superior to iOS and Android and there's nothing wrong with BB10 as you claim.
    The problem is people still view BlackBerry as BB7 and not as BB10. That is the issue, and I blame John Chen for garbage marketing. And a Full Touch high end BB10 phone would not only help Z10 and Z30 owners finally UPGRADE but also attract many Android and iOS users to the platform. I've met several Android and iOS users that are interested in BB10, but no phone exists for them ATM. Because they look at specs and they do not want a physical keyboard.

If I know many like this, I can only imagine how many more people are are thinking the same thing.
    Last edited by ATI nsider; 07-30-15 at 08:27 PM.
    07-30-15 08:16 PM
90 1234