12-02-15 05:09 PM
90 123 ...
tools
    What would you do? Would you pursue the idea of making a BB/Android hybrid or would you trash the project? Would you focus on the consumer market or would you solely attempt to appeal to corporations? Would you spend more money in developing and advancing their software or hardware?

I would likely start by firing any and everyone that has every worked in their marketing department. I didn't know the Passport existed until months after its release and even then, it wasn't via a BlackBerry ad that I discovered it... I now own two of them.

I'd also begin working on prototypes for a more compact version of the Passport. I think the Black Card could be a cool name, but maybe too gimmicky, idk. Whatever the name, I think it would be time/money better spent than whatever resources they may be wasting on an Android phone.

What would be your first moves while in charge?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 11:30 AM
    I would want to get paid for my consulting ideas

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    Batibreaker and nicky_willz like this.
    06-18-15 11:42 AM
    I would likely start by firing any and everyone that has every worked in their marketing department. I didn't know the Passport existed until months after its release and even then, it wasn't via a BlackBerry ad that I discovered it...
    The marketing department probably was working with whatever they were budgeted to spend on advertising for the Passport.

So, how many Passports would you have ordered for to be manufactured the first year? You have to order the components many months in advance so you really have to commit to a number. Order too few and you will be out of stock for months. Order too many and you end up with huge unsold inventory losing value by the day.

What would your first year advertising budget have been for the Passport. The typical major smartphone ad campaign for a flagship is $100M.
    Last edited by early2bed; 06-18-15 at 12:10 PM.
    06-18-15 11:57 AM
    As the Android market space is already very saturated, BlackBerry needs to differentiate. The Android platform is already covering most consumers by design. But what could be an order-winning factor for them?

Pairing business productivity with the great Google ecosystem might win over some users, if BlackBerry finds a way to effectively use the possibilities Android provides. Properly embedded, the HUB could make a great addition to the OS.

Also, being the only manufacturer of solid physical keyboards, BlackBerry could target a niche market without forcing the user to give up on app choice.

Conclusively, BlackBerry should use their vast experience in the corporate market to transition their business specific core capabilities to an ecosystem which offers great choice and familiar interaction to the customer.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:00 PM
    1) Sell BB device at cheaper price with better specs.
    2) Invest in social media and marketing to let ppl know Bb10 can be as smooth as IOS yet flexible like Android. (Eg, device will not lag after 1 year). Also place emphasis on security.
    3) spend money and beg developers to develop native apps like Spotify and snapchat, flipboard etc
    4) develop apps for IOS and android but provide incentive when these apps are used on bb10
    5) if app developer does not develop apps for u, u develop yourself (like how Nintendo develop their own games for own platform)
    Ed YANG and theone06 like this.
    06-18-15 12:02 PM
    If I'm correct, they somehow did run out of Passports not long after the release... I don't know what their marketing budget or production numbers were. All I know is that I've never seen or heard a single ad for the Passport. The only ad I've heard for the Classic was on the radio and it was a commercial by T-Mobile promoting the phone, not BlackBerry.

I believe a Super Bowl ad costs $1 million per 10 seconds and has the largest viewing of almost any event in the world. I would've definitely purchased a slot to market the Passport. Its unlike any device in the world, but the majority of the world has no idea it exists. I would've spent the majority of the budget on the SuperBowl. It doesn't matter who your target audience is because millions worldwide watch the game and commercials. That would've been the most efficient and effective way to approach customer acquisition in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:19 PM
    If any of you listed above were running BlackBerry, it would now be completely bankrupt like Palm ended up when HP acquired the company. Rule #1 in selling a product is selling what the consumer wants. It's very evident that consumer space chose Apple IOS and Google Android OS instead of WP or BB10. No amount of marketing is going to push consumers to give up either of the OS because of their far more developed ecosystems. In fact, your ideas mirror the decision making ineptness of the founders and the first successor CEO. They didn't listen to consumer demands at time and look where that put the company. I love BlackBerry and BB10, however I have to carry a second phone and it's android because of the apps. If forced to choose, I would give up android, however, I am in the minority. My job as CEO would be to do as Chen has done since he's paid to keep the company afloat. He owes his paycheck to shareholders and employees would like to keep jobs if possible. A bankrupt company would accomplish neither of these objectives. He's even going after consumer market as so many of you have whined about, if company does android device, since that's where all the consumers are.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 03:16 PM
    If any of you listed above were running BlackBerry, it would now be completely bankrupt like Palm ended up when HP acquired the company. Rule #1 in selling a product is selling what the consumer wants. It's very evident that consumer space chose Apple IOS and Google Android OS instead of WP or BB10. No amount of marketing is going to push consumers to give up either of the OS because of their far more developed ecosystems. In fact, your ideas mirror the decision making ineptness of the founders and the first successor CEO. They didn't listen to consumer demands at time and look where that put the company. I love BlackBerry and BB10, however I have to carry a second phone and it's android because of the apps. If forced to choose, I would give up android, however, I am in the minority. My job as CEO would be to do as Chen has done since he's paid to keep the company afloat. He owes his paycheck to shareholders and employees would like to keep jobs if possible. A bankrupt company would accomplish neither of these objectives. He's even going after consumer market as so many of you have whined about, if company does android device, since that's where all the consumers are.

Posted via CB10
    So what part of my post did oppose your statements here? It's basically what I said. A BlackBerry running Android, diversified by a great UI with the integration of the HUB and other BlackBerry specific features.

I totally agree that BlackBerry should target the consumer market and I think their move to give full Android devices a try is great. However, within the highly competitive market of Android phones, BlackBerry needs to stick out of the masses. This can be reached through great hardware and a great UI. If we consider how long it took Samsung to take TouchWiz to a certain level, this is not an easy task.

It's not just about Android, it's about what you make of the platform.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 04:48 PM
    Offer lower cost attractive Android phones to consumers. Use them as gateway devices to get people onto the brand. Sell premium professional grade BB10 devices (also available to consumers).

BlackBerry Passport 10.3.2.440
    06-18-15 06:35 PM
    ...they'd be bankrupt.

We all like to think we'd do a better job that someone else. Truth is most of the people here have zero idea on what it takes to run a large business. Sure you may have experience running a family business, or small to medium sized businesses but that doesn't mean you can run a global company.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    06-18-15 08:17 PM
    I hear you... But despite opinions, you have to admit that it's harder to sell something that people don't know exist (in ANY industry). They don't have many consumers (outside of CrackBerry members) to keep in mind because the majority of the mass thinks BlackBerry is obsolete.

And there are ways to run just about any android/google play app you like on a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 01:26 PM
    ...they'd be bankrupt.

We all like to think we'd do a better job that someone else. Truth is most of the people here have zero idea on what it takes to run a large business. Sure you may have experience running a family business, or small to medium sized businesses but that doesn't mean you can run a global company.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    That's very true, most folks don't realize that Mr Chen is just one cog in a big wheel that it takes to run a global company.

The hard part is not only is he trying to run business and make it profitable, but he is also trying to rebuild the brand, at least on the enterprise front.

Sometimes I think it's a more difficult job when your trying to rebuild a tarnished brand. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

Blackberry is a name that started the smartphone revolution, it would be a dam shame to see it disappear from the landscape all together, only time will tell.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-19-15 01:41 PM
    • Android versions of every major device that offer a Nexus-like stock experience + Hub and BB security features.
    • Become one of the fastest OEMs to push Android software updates when they become available

They would dominate the Android market for physical keyboard phones, which doesn't exist anymore, and pull over individuals not willing to investigate the awesomeness of BBOS because of all the FUD tech outlets put out about BlackBerry.

Keep BBOS and all normal services for those of us that don't want Android.

I think releasing a BlackBerry slab that runs Android will fail miserably, especially targeting lower priced markets. Chinese manufacturers dominate that segment, plus there's very little profit. There'd be nothing differentiating the Blackberry from the other devices that are already respected. If they go Android, they NEED to offer a physical keyboard.
    ayngling likes this.
    06-19-15 02:22 PM
    I would look for a buyer! With how bad the brand is so severely damaged there is probably no coming back to the consumer market... and not not enough clout in the enterprise compared the IBM Cisco and Microsofts of the world....
    Batibreaker likes this.
    06-19-15 02:30 PM
    I would look for a buyer!
    The stock would immediately go up if JC announced this intention. It immediately goes up when there is a rumor of a buyout then it goes down when it is denied. That's because his long term strategic plan is deemed by the market to be worth less than the buyout value.

I'm guessing this earnings report will not be business as usual.
    Last edited by early2bed; 06-19-15 at 03:24 PM.
    06-19-15 03:00 PM
    I would look for a buyer!
    They did that a year ago and couldn't get $9/share, and it torpedo'd a ton of business. If they did that again, they'd be forced to lower the price until they found a buyer, because they couldn't survive another failed sale.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-19-15 03:45 PM
    Push marketing and shift tword media devices as that's is what sells in today's market

Posted via my new passport
    06-19-15 05:34 PM
    I would put QNX on Fords, not Bentleys, among many other things. Then push compatibility.

You have a car (or insert other consumer commodity) but you want to use the full featured dashboard? Download the app for $2.00/mth or subscribe for $18/year.

That's the model I would push.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 05:43 PM
    • Android versions of every major device that offer a Nexus-like stock experience + Hub and BB security features.
    • Become one of the fastest OEMs to push Android software updates when they become available

They would dominate the Android market for physical keyboard phones, which doesn't exist anymore, and pull over individuals not willing to investigate the awesomeness of BBOS because of all the FUD tech outlets put out about BlackBerry.

Keep BBOS and all normal services for those of us that don't want Android.

I think releasing a BlackBerry slab that runs Android will fail miserably, especially targeting lower priced markets. Chinese manufacturers dominate that segment, plus there's very little profit. There'd be nothing differentiating the Blackberry from the other devices that are already respected. If they go Android, they NEED to offer a physical keyboard.
    Physical keyboards are a fail regardless of platform.

!
    06-19-15 05:53 PM
    First thing I'd do is post in the Armchair CEO forum where this thread belongs :P
    jas1978 likes this.
    06-19-15 05:55 PM
    First thing I'd do is post in the Armchair CEO forum where this thread belongs :P
    Moved
    anon3969612 likes this.
    06-19-15 06:02 PM
    1) Sell BB device at cheaper price with better specs.
    2) Invest in social media and marketing to let ppl know Bb10 can be as smooth as IOS yet flexible like Android. (Eg, device will not lag after 1 year). Also place emphasis on security.
    3) spend money and beg developers to develop native apps like Spotify and snapchat, flipboard etc
    4) develop apps for IOS and android but provide incentive when these apps are used on bb10
    5) if app developer does not develop apps for u, u develop yourself (like how Nintendo develop their own games for own platform)
    I stopped reading at " Sell BlackBerry device at cheaper price with better specs."

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker and ayngling like this.
    06-21-15 11:55 PM
    If I'm running BlackBerry, first market I'll go after other than enterprise would be the education sector.

Pitch BB10 devices as 'no distraction and highly productive'.

Sell enough devices to the education sector and soon, there will be many young coders writing apps for the platform.

Offer BlackBerry coder rewards as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 07:16 AM
    If I ran blackberry every weekend would be a long weekend, but every work day would be 12.5 hours

Z10
    06-22-15 07:20 AM
    If it was me.. this is what i'll do

1:Check the Budget.. (how much the whole company has)
    2: Scrap everything related to 'fanboid' i mean android...
    3: Roll out 5 phones a year.... (listen to customers) see what they want dual sim dual sd slot etc
    4: RE-VAMP the store...... call it BlackBerry Store with two sections BBOS7 Section BBOS10 Section
    5: Get a contract... going with all known major banks... UK/USA/CHINA/JAPAN/EU banks to get an official Blackberry app on there (this is needed badly)
    6: Focus on popular communication apps snap chat whats app qq wechat tinder etc many others get them all on official blackberry and updated now and then.
    7: enterprise and education is a must.... get blackberry in IBM/Samsung/nokia/MS/google (WE OFFER TOP OF THE LINE SECURITY) something these big corporations can never achieve... no matter what they do or say. (the slightest mention of Blackberry) you know your safe
    8: Government contracts to US/CANADA/UK/JAPAN is MUST and maybe the rest if they want it.
    9: ADVERTISEMENTS... ON THE GOD DAMN TV...... get it known..
    10: OPEN UP OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY STORES IN THE STATES AND UNITED KINGDOM (DAMN CAPS)
    11: ??? not sure lol
    06-22-15 07:22 PM
90 123 ...