Why can't blackberry z30 do the same?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 09:15 PM
    Google is not the phone maker. They most likely did not pay $349 to LG for these phones. Your comparison would have been more valid if you were comparing LG's sale price to BlackBerry's.

As for why BlackBerry is not selling off contract Z30s, that I don't know. My guess would be to maintain their "carrier relationships."
    10-31-13 09:20 PM
    Every nexus 5 bought is one incremental loss for bbry. And with no users means no ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 09:23 PM
    Every nexus 5 bought is one incremental loss for bbry. And with no users means no ecosystem.
    Well, if that's the case, BBRY should consider themselves lucky that LG didn't sell a LOT of Nexus 4s Certainly not enough for LG mobile to avoid posting a loss last quarter.
    10-31-13 09:58 PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Google makes up those losses from Ad revenue and offering services

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    10-31-13 10:35 PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Google makes up those losses from Ad revenue and offering services.
    Exactly. TINSTAAFL.
    10-31-13 10:39 PM
    Remember Google makes a ton of money on Google play and can afford to subsidies it. Since more android users equals more income for the Google play store.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    10-31-13 10:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because Google does not care about profits from hardware. Google makes all its money from advertising. Google business plan kills competition. I rather spend $600 for z30 and have all my privacy intact. By buying Google phone you are nothing more nothing less but walking advertising vessel for gog�le.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    10-31-13 11:09 PM
    Completely different business models. BlackBerry is dependent upon hardware sales to generate revenue. Google, like others here have mentioned, makes money off eyeballs. Same reason why Amazon can sell the Fire for a smoking price, they're making money off the content they sell you, rather than the device.
    11-01-13 08:58 AM
    Because Google does not care about profits from hardware. Google makes all its money from advertising. Google business plan kills competition. I rather spend $600 for z30 and have all my privacy intact. By buying Google phone you are nothing more nothing less but walking advertising vessel for gog�le.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Please stop the FUD. You can still use non-Google Services on a Google device if you want. Just like if you were using an iPhone and not using Apple Services/iCloud or using a Windows Phone and not using Microsoft Services. Yes, it requires some sacrifices, but you still end up with a better ecosystem than on a BB, so people are willing to make those instead of buying a BB10 device.

BB could have sold for less if it accepted lower profit margins. They aren't willing to make that sacrifice. They think they will still be able to sell "enough" at the high price so they're doing what they do.

We all seen how that panned out with the Z10, and since the Z30 is basically on par with 2012 Android flagships I don't see that panning out much better...
    bp3dots, rnhld, aniym and 1 others like this.
    11-01-13 09:27 AM
    Well, if that's the case, BBRY should consider themselves lucky that LG didn't sell a LOT of Nexus 4s Certainly not enough for LG mobile to avoid posting a loss last quarter.
    You keep trying to drag out that the N4 didn't save LG from losses, but it's a senseless argument. It was never meant to. They could have made 1000% profit on them and still had a loss depending on the rest of their business, which is substantially larger than the Nexus, which is one order from one buyer.

Google doesn't intend to be #1 on the market with the Nexus, so they don't buy more than they expect to sell. BB should consider trying that, since they seem to be overestimating their potential sales by leaps and bounds and having to write down massive numbers.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Google makes up those losses from Ad revenue and offering services

Posted via CB10
    Google doesn't lose money on the Nexus. Cost to manufacture is still below what they sell them for.
    11-02-13 07:14 PM
    You keep trying to drag out that the N4 didn't save LG from losses, but it's a senseless argument. It was never meant to. They could have made 1000% profit on them and still had a loss depending on the rest of their business, which is substantially larger than the Nexus, which is one order from one buyer.
    Your argument makes no sense. If a product is really selling--flying off the shelves, so to speak--you're telling me LG is not going to ramp up manufacturing (given they have everything they need to scale) to sell as many units as they can? Especially if Google is just another buyer like the carriers are?

And companies can't have one cash cow keeping them in the black while other products collectively are doing bad?
    11-02-13 09:35 PM
    Your argument makes no sense. If a product is really selling--flying off the shelves, so to speak--you're telling me LG is not going to ramp up manufacturing (given they have everything they need to scale) to sell as many units as they can? Especially if Google is just another buyer like the carriers are?

And companies can't have one cash cow keeping them in the black while other products collectively are doing bad?
    You don't seem to understand how the Nexus works.

LG doesn't sell the Nexus line themselves, Google does. So if Google contracts for 1M they fill the order. They don't keep making more unless another order is placed, as it's not their product to sell.

Companies CAN have one successful cash cow, but the Nexus project is probably never going to be it.
    Saiga likes this.
    11-02-13 09:49 PM

Posted via CB10

Well.. i believe in this situation the Nexus 5 would be considered a 'loss leader'. It exists mainly to funnel potential customers to Google's store, as well as to serve as a trojan horse of sorts.. plenty of people will buy it, and that allows Google a wide array of stats to draw from. We all know Google exists to please advertisers and we are the product.

The device itself isn't meant to make much money for anyone, but it exists as a flagship... a yardstick of sorts, something for the other manufacturers to beat. Also it's the only source of a pure Android experience. Which matters less and less, considering Google is intent on separating Android the OS from the apps it used to be associated with, mainly Google's. Android might be free, but the apps were what fleshed it out, and they're no longer free as in 'open'.

Blackberry can't afford to do what Google is doing. That's the easy explanation..
    11-02-13 09:49 PM
    They don't keep making more unless another order is placed, as it's not their product to sell.
    So Google is the only company placing orders then?
    11-02-13 10:51 PM
    So Google is the only company placing orders then?
    Yes and carriers place orders through Google.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    11-02-13 11:38 PM
    If a product is really selling--flying off the shelves, so to speak--you're telling me LG is not going to ramp up manufacturing (given they have everything they need to scale) to sell as many units as they can?
    No sorry, the market doesn't work like this.
    Gillette gives out free samples that fly off the shelves (I must admit I ordered couple of those freebies too) but somehow they are not willing to increase production of free products.
    Think logically, a company would increase production only if it makes profit, not otherwise. I doubt LG makes any profit on nexus devices, all the tiny markup goes to google. I believe LG wanted to earn popularity with these phones but they failed by having their label right in the place that is covered by hand. Compare to Samsung or BB smartphones - both have logos on front side above or below the screen. My friends who own Nexus always remind me that it was manufactured by LG because this is so missed details. I would not be surprised if LG really loses money on these devices.
    11-03-13 12:08 AM
    No sorry, the market doesn't work like this.
    Gillette gives out free samples that fly off the shelves (I must admit I ordered couple of those freebies too) but somehow they are not willing to increase production of free products.
    Think logically, a company would increase production only if it makes profit, not otherwise. I doubt LG makes any profit on nexus devices, all the tiny markup goes to google. I believe LG wanted to earn popularity with these phones but they failed by having their label right in the place that is covered by hand. Compare to Samsung or BB smartphones - both have logos on front side above or below the screen. My friends who own Nexus always remind me that it was manufactured by LG because this is so missed details. I would not be surprised if LG really loses money on these devices.
    LG bid for the right to make the Nexus phones. Why would they put out a bid that would cause them a loss?
    11-03-13 12:36 AM
    LG bid for the right to make the Nexus phones. Why would they put out a bid that would cause them a loss?
    This. The Nexus line is great for LG, which is why they continually bid to make them.
    11-03-13 12:40 AM
    They bid because they become the lead Google partner. They get increased use of their supplier lines and I'm sure some of the tech used in the N4 and 5 get used again in their other phones giving them scale they wouldn't otherwise have.

It's a very good idea because while individually each unit may cost or barely break even for them, they make it up in other ways.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:53 AM
    It's 385$

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:26 PM
    It's 385$

Posted via CB10
    What is?
    11-03-13 09:44 PM
    If they focused on including bis in bb10 BlackBerry would make money off services too.
    It's not Googles fault BlackBerry choose to give up all their few advantages.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 02:39 AM
    What is?
    Nexus 5...You pay 385 not 349 for the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:35 AM
    Nexus 5...You pay 385 not 349 for the phone.

Posted via CB10
    https://play.google.com/store/device...ack_16gb&hl=en

Sure looks like 349 to me. Are you in a different country perhaps?
    11-04-13 02:49 PM
78 123 ...