If I were Mr. Chen and had to blaze a trail it would be to focus on the user experience first and foremost. The hardware is important but we can't compete against the likes of the Nexus 5. Release quality hardware and then really shine with the user interface.

Make it easy and productive for the user, make it a pleasure to use and make it work for them and not against them. Perhaps no buttons was not such a good idea as I believe it has stumped the average user. Don't misunderstand me I don't need them but the first time buyer is immediately put off.

How about navigation training wheels to start off - bake some software buttons at the bottom. Make it clear that you can take them off when you get a feel for things. They may only be there for a day but after that you're off to the races.

Give even more features that other smartphones don't have. BB10 is already capable of so much more compared to other phones but certain little and not so little things still shock me that they were never included. I think the next update will address some of these issues but still ....

* give complete customization for notifications in all regards. This was a signature BB item but it seems so crippled currently. Again, it looks like the latest update will address this a little.

* a do not disturb feature with scheduling. As stated initially, make it work for you and not against you. This was another BB signature item that people loved. I program embedded computers for my company and believe me: timers and scheduling are a piece of cake. How could this not be available

* better cloud support. make it easy like icloud. my parents love this because it require little thought but they know that their pictures are safe and sound.

I could go on and on but really we need to reach out to enthusiasts to see what they are requesting. So hire dedicated people to scour the forums and newsgroups of the internet. Listen to what people are saying. If they think they need Netflix and Instagram then try to accomodate them. Don't presume to know people better. Certainly a company needs to project its own persona but it really needs to listen.

Good luck Mr. Chen. I like your smile and you seem understanding. If you need suggestions you know how to reach me.
    11-12-13 02:52 PM
    Good ideas... it's just how long would it take to add all of this to BB10. I'm thinking that if they still don't have auto dimming working and several other basic features. Adding all this stuff would take a LONG time.
    11-12-13 03:19 PM
    I have controversial suggestion that could possibly backfire: Remove android runtime completely so Samsung is allowed to make hardware for blackberry. Samsung has plenty of resources to deal with marketing and hardware.
    11-12-13 03:28 PM
    Good ideas... it's just how long would it take to add all of this to BB10. I'm thinking that if they still don't have auto dimming working and several other basic features. Adding all this stuff would take a LONG time.
    True - time is not really on their side. They should reconsider some layoffs and hire back some elves to work on the details. If you are noticing the auto dimming then so are others.

The next update certainly looks promising.
    11-12-13 03:56 PM
    yes this is certainly controversial
    11-12-13 03:56 PM