I think for the same reason that the PlayBook wasn't unlocked to allow users to install Android. They won't provide a means of unlocking current BB10 devices. These where sold as locked devices that could not be rooted by the user. And there will be a number of enterprise customers that will want them to stay that way for security reason.

But I think if BlackBerry put out an "update", "patch" or "OS" that did unlock the nvram... someone would extract that and create a stand alone unlocker or hacking tool. Short of having it done as a factory repair.. not sure how they could do it without breaching their own security standing.
    07-15-15 02:54 PM
    I think for the same reason that the PlayBook wasn't unlocked to allow users to install Android. They won't provide a means of unlocking current BB10 devices. These where sold as locked devices that could not be rooted by the user. And there will be a number of enterprise customers that will want them to stay that way for security reason.

But I think if BlackBerry put out an "update", "patch" or "OS" that did unlock the nvram... someone would extract that and create a stand alone unlocker or hacking tool. Short of having it done as a factory repair.. not sure how they could do it without breaching their own security standing.
    Yep. You'll be EOL'd overnight and the fanbois who tell everyone to buy a passport will be harping on how its old hardware and you need to buck up and buy the Chendroid cuz its the greatest thing since oxygen.......just wait until 10.9.013.0235.00 is released
    CFFrost likes this.
    07-15-15 04:00 PM
    Yep. You'll be EOL'd overnight and the fanbois who tell everyone to buy a passport will be harping on how its old hardware and you need to buck up and buy the Chendroid cuz its the greatest thing since oxygen.......just wait until 10.9.013.0235.00 is released
    Chendroid, love that name

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl likes this.
    07-15-15 04:05 PM
    They (the BB10 devices) will just be EOL. People who still enjoyed them can start buying up the stock and keep using them till forever. Meanwhile, BBRY will close the chapter of being a mobile platform provider and transition into the security software focused company.
    07-17-15 07:59 PM
    I would guess the same.
    Android only for new devices. There would be ton of complaints if they try to force the upgrade to existing bb10 users.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think BlackBerry would care about customers's complaints.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 08:20 AM
    I would expect BlackBerry to help the transmission.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 10:13 AM
    I prefer to stay with BB10! It is the best OS I ever have... I don't want any Google services running in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 10:23 AM
    Chendroid, love that name

Posted via CB10
    I'll take credit for that one... ;-)
    Or any "prior art"?

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-19-15 10:38 PM
    I think BlackBerry Z10, Z30, Leap, still would be BlackBerry OS 10. If they (BlackBerry) finally decided to launch BlackBerry Android, there will new device that run Android OS with brand BlackBerry. By the way, seeing Nokia N9 that can run Android, it was not success much, only release one, next, shutdown. I think that because Nokia N9 can run Android OS, the CEO was dislike Android, so they made it shutdown.

Seeing option 2, if..., say, BlackBerry becomes crazy can make Android OS that can be load it theri Z10, Z30 or Leap, it won't secure again I guess. No all users like BlackBerry Android and no all users like BlackBerry OS 10 that limited apps in BlackBerry World. If they (BlackBerry) can make developers create apps as much as Android Play Store in BlackBerry World, I think many users would use BlackBerry 10 and still stay on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 09:29 AM
    Based on Blackberry's track record of previous major OS changes, I would wager most BB10 devices would be left in the dust- not that they would be intentionally snubbing their loyal users, it would most likely just come down to hardware capability/compatibility issues.

I'm no expert, nor do I have any inside info, this is based solely on my experience of owning Blackberries (refer to my signature)

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 03:01 PM
    Based on Blackberry's track record of previous major OS changes, I would wager most BB10 devices would be left in the dust- not that they would be intentionally snubbing their loyal users, it would most likely just come down to hardware capability/compatibility issues.

I'm no expert, nor do I have any inside info, this is based solely on my experience of owning Blackberries (refer to my signature)

Posted via CB10
    As annoying as android may be, it's quite versatile in the sense that it can run on very low hardware, compare this with bb10, which requires 2gb ram minimum for manageable performance (z10), 3gb for satisfactory (passport).

So if BlackBerry went android, I can't see why the q5 and leap could not run it as well as the other handsets.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 03:20 PM
    As annoying as android may be, it's quite versatile in the sense that it can run on very low hardware, compare this with bb10, which requires 2gb ram minimum for manageable performance (z10), 3gb for satisfactory (passport).

So if BlackBerry went android, I can't see why the q5 and leap could not run it as well as the other handsets.

Posted via CB10
    Even the PlayBook would be able to run Android... and I doubt many would pass up the opportunity to bring some life back to their PlayBooks by getting rid of the PlayBook OS.

But no I don't believe that the PlayBook or any devices sold with BB10 on them will get that chance.
    08-06-15 03:27 PM
    BlackBerry goes Android and there hardware division is finished. Android is a very useless OS. And looking forward to seeing a BlackBerry Android phone get hacked. Because people will do it for the challenge. Then see BlackBerry's secure image get dragged in the mud.
    If Blackphone can do it then it's not impossible for BlackBerry.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    08-06-15 03:34 PM
    If Blackphone can do it then it's not impossible for BlackBerry.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    It was hacked, so Black phone didn't do it. To lock down Android you would likely have to lock down or out the Google Play Store. When that happens Android is useless.

Posted via Z30
    08-06-15 06:04 PM
39 12