This is what's going through my head right now, and the more you think about it, the more it makes sense.

Given the fact that they're launching a lower spec model, IMHO, it would've made sense to have launched a higher spec KEY2. I get the feeling that the target market for KEY2 would buy it at a much higher price (me included), and thus be willing to pay for higher spec processor that is better but not a battery drainer (a good compromise), and a really good camera (just below the S9). The 64 and 128 GB memory and 6GB RAM is already top spec.

Think about it. The Key series is a niche market device with niche market buyers. I'm in the market for phones that I like up to 900 euros. And I'd say many people here are too. And perhaps those on the fence would be enticed in by near top specs.

And for those who are not core Blackberry, or companies that have been convinced by the Blackberry security and performance features, where a more economical device makes sense: come forward KEY2 LE.

To sum up, I could see three PKB devices in the KEY2 range.

The Top end above.KEY2 PLus
    The current KEY 2
    The KEY2 LE

What do you think? Feasible? Which phone fits your budget and want list?
    07-29-18 01:38 AM
    Part of the problem is that there is more demand for the higher-performance SoCs than there is availability of them, and priority goes to the companies who agree to buy on volume over a period of years. TCL isn't in a position to commit to buying millions or tens of millions of those SoCs over a period of years, as they don't sell nearly enough BB's, and they don't sell high-end Alcatels either.

I also question whether there are enough customers who would choose a K2 over an iPhone X or an S9 or Note 9 - especially when the K2 would have to cost more than those given the lower volumes and more complicated design. TCL's market research seems to agree, as they aren't trying to play in that space.

Remember too that the US is by far the biggest market for flagship-priced phones, and that nearly everyone who buys such phones does so with a carrier subsidy or financing - but TCL doesn't have any carrier partners for the K2 in the US. That means even people who want a K2 are likely to skip it in favor of a phone they can finance (or their job will pay for) through their carrier.

These decisions get complicated, and TCL has people whose entire job is to do this kind of marketing research and make decisions that will ensure profitability. TCL isn't looking to lose money to try to grow brand recognition - that phase of the smartphone business is over, for everyone. As the market has matured, it's all about profits TODAY vs. some years in the future.
    07-29-18 01:28 PM
    This is what's going through my head right now, and the more you think about it, the more it makes sense.

Given the fact that they're launching a lower spec model, IMHO, it would've made sense to have launched a higher spec KEY2. I get the feeling that the target market for KEY2 would buy it at a much higher price (me included), and thus be willing to pay for higher spec processor that is better but not a battery drainer (a good compromise), and a really good camera (just below the S9). The 64 and 128 GB memory and 6GB RAM is already top spec.

Think about it. The Key series is a niche market device with niche market buyers. I'm in the market for phones that I like up to 900 euros. And I'd say many people here are too. And perhaps those on the fence would be enticed in by near top specs.

And for those who are not core Blackberry, or companies that have been convinced by the Blackberry security and performance features, where a more economical device makes sense: come forward KEY2 LE.

The current KEY 2
    The KEY2 LE

The KEY² will be a good test of the upper price sensitivity. If it does well, maybe they might try what you're suggesting. The SoC is not really an issue - but they can certainly pour more into the screen, camera, and speakers.
    07-29-18 01:36 PM

The current KEY 2
    The KEY2 LE

I think KEYOne.
    10-23-18 01:36 AM