Here's an idea: we all know that sales reps are the most influential when it comes to showing the customer the right device for them.

Why does blackberry not put a continuous spiff on these phone (say $30 for example), to give reps an incentive to sell the phone.

I understand that this would impact revenue, but think about it this way, would blackberry rather sell one z10 or q10 or sell 10, but lose 30 dollars on each for the spiff.

Thoughts/ideas?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 11:43 AM
    spiff? is that a discount? Both devices are gettin huge discounts already
    08-31-13 11:49 AM
    I think giving everyone a spliff to buy a BlackBerry is a great idea...
    08-31-13 11:50 AM
    A spiff is an incentive paid to the sales associate for selling the device. Sell a z10, get an extra bonus on top of your commission. It's normally paid by the manufacturer from their marketing budget.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 11:55 AM
    My only question is how common is this and how aware are consumers about the practice. Knowing that a salesperson is making extra on top of commission to sell a device would lead me to discount their advice as being self serving.
    08-31-13 12:07 PM
    It happens all the time. Almost all sales positions have some kind of bonus structure built in, this is just one of them.

It shouldn't bother you anymore than one device paying a 5% commission and another paying 3%.

Almost everything sold to you that you asked for advice on is sold on some kind of self-serving, show me the money basis. If the sale person is on commission, they cate about making their paycheck as big as possible, not what the right device for you is. Chances are they will never see you again, so if you're unhappy with your purchase, they don't care as long as you get past the return date.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 12:20 PM
    Sign me up!
    08-31-13 12:25 PM
    It happens all the time. Almost all sales positions have some kind of bonus structure built in, this is just one of them.

It shouldn't bother you anymore than one device paying a 5% commission and another paying 3%.
    I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't altogether clear (more likely). Commission does not bother me as I consider that part of the salespersons normal salary structure. What would concern me is giving an incentive above and beyond that normal salary structure based on how well the employee pushes the device. A salesperson who earns 5% no matter what device he sells is in my opinion more objective than an employee who earns the same 5% + $xx if he sells a specific device.

Also, as I understand it, commissions (part of salary) are set by the employer not the device manufacturer. Here I could be wrong.
    08-31-13 12:29 PM
    Here's an idea: we all know that sales reps are the most influential when it comes to showing the customer the right device for them.

Why does blackberry not put a continuous spiff on these phone (say $30 for example), to give reps an incentive to sell the phone.

I understand that this would impact revenue, but think about it this way, would blackberry rather sell one z10 or q10 or sell 10, but lose 30 dollars on each for the spiff.

Thoughts/ideas?

Posted via CB10
    The carriers wouldn't like that at all. Spiffs are usually an incentive to clear inventory as well.
    08-31-13 12:29 PM
    All manufacturers do this. It is to boost sales, not only necessarily clear inventory.

Also, yes, this is extra commission that is received by the rep upon sale of the device.

I understand how some people may not agree as it will impact the behavior of reps - however you have to realize that people who come in looking for a specific phone (Apple user, who has been with the brand for 3 years), will not settle for anything else.

The spiff would be targeted toward new smartphone users, shopping around for a great phone.

Blackberry needs this. Sales are not where they need to be and something like this would impact sales positively by increasing brand awareness, as well as acting as word-of-mouth marketing (customer buys bb10 and likes it - recommends to friends and family).

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 01:40 PM
    I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't altogether clear (more likely). Commission does not bother me as I consider that part of the salespersons normal salary structure. What would concern me is giving an incentive above and beyond that normal salary structure based on how well the employee pushes the device. A salesperson who earns 5% no matter what device he sells is in my opinion more objective than an employee who earns the same 5% + $xx if he sells a specific device.

Also, as I understand it, commissions (part of salary) are set by the employer not the device manufacturer. Here I could be wrong.
    Here you are assuming that all devices pay the same commission. This is almost never true. Commissions are normally based on potential profit. If a device makes a carrier additional profit, then they pay a higher commission on it to motivate pushing that item.

For example, a carrier like Sprint that is under a contractual agreement to sell a certain number of iPhones will normally pay a higher commission on them than they do Android devices, motivating sales reps to push them.

Commissions are normally set by the seller, in this case the carrier, spiffs are normally paid by the manufacturer. In order to receive the spiff payout, you normally have to fill out a form and submit it to the manufacturer before the end of the spiff program.

Posted via CB10
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-31-13 01:54 PM
    .....Word.
    Praise "Bob"
    08-31-13 02:01 PM
    Here you are assuming that all devices pay the same commission. <snip....>
    Thanks for that explanation. As I said I could be wrong. Even so, I still don't trust the objectivity of someone working toward additional compensation outside of the commission parameters. No way around it though I guess
    08-31-13 02:14 PM
    Not all spiffs are based on brand though. I get the same spiff if I sell a Z10 or a GS4 or an iPhone. The only difference that comes in is the spiff is more if its a new line or an upgrade.

The spiff structure varies pretty widely.

Tippy tapped from my iPhone 5, from me to you.
    08-31-13 08:00 PM
    Not all spiffs are based on brand though. I get the same spiff if I sell a Z10 or a GS4 or an iPhone. The only difference that comes in is the spiff is more if its a new line or an upgrade.

The spiff structure varies pretty widely.

Did you also have an HTC spiff a while back?
    08-31-13 08:25 PM
    Did you also have an HTC spiff a while back?
    I think you missed my point. It doesn't matter what phone I sell. The spiff is the same. The only change is if its a new line, a HUP, with data or without.

Last edited by reeneebob; 09-01-13 at 05:36 AM.
    08-31-13 08:33 PM
    My only question is how common is this and how aware are consumers about the practice. Knowing that a salesperson is making extra on top of commission to sell a device would lead me to discount their advice as being self serving.
    The carriers wouldn't like that at all. Spiffs are usually an incentive to clear inventory as well.
    Here you are assuming that all devices pay the same commission. This is almost never true. Commissions are normally based on potential profit. If a device makes a carrier additional profit, then they pay a higher commission on it to motivate pushing that item.
    The carrier I used to work for in the uk had the best way around these issues, each handset has a cost and profit obviously, commission wasn't paid on `per sales of x device` but by looking at the profit margins.
    So if I sold an iphone and it was on a cheap plan id get less than an iphone on a expensive plan (iphones weren't as good as they sound due to the net cost being quite steadily high tbh).
    The good thing about this scheme is while you got more for a more financially profitable deal, each handset isn't that far apart in net cost to carriers, so it was a lot more about the right price plans, and was never really about what the actual device was.

It was truly the closest you can get to a device agnostic commission basis. also meant all of the `your selling x cos you get paid more` didn't apply.

To give an example, a 2 year plan on �30 a month is �720. if your hardware loss is �300 (net) then you made �420. this is the number your commission % is taken from. now that �300 phone could be a wp phone, iphone, BB, android, Symbian, heck even a laptop. it really doesn't matter as the commission is still based on the figures.
    08-31-13 08:41 PM
    Truth is that as an ex radio shack employee we would make almost double the commission on selling an IPhone then any other phone.

In my area is was 30 dollars compared to the usual 15 per phone. So yeah when we had a customer who was on the fence about an iPhone or another phone we would nudge them in that direction.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:47 PM
    Good ideal...long term is benefits to BLACKBERRY .low profits with volume is huge .. in others hand spare parts and service benefits too.

Shanghai china/singapore
    09-05-13 08:24 PM
    Thanks for that explanation. As I said I could be wrong. Even so, I still don't trust the objectivity of someone working toward additional compensation outside of the commission parameters. No way around it though I guess
    If you e ever purchased a TV or a stereo or a toaster for that matter, the sales person was likely pushing a specific model because of either a higher profit margin for the company of the potential to receive a higher commission directly. It's about as common in sales as rain is in London. Sometimes, they will push an "upgraded" model with a higher profit margin even if it's actually no better than a lower model.

Keith H. Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 09:26 PM
    You OP somehow predicted the future. Spiff granted.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 09:32 AM