In an alternate imaginary other reality there is a man called Stevey Joobs who had a great idea for a device that was rectangular and sported a touchscreen and a mobile laptop-like slab also with a touchscreen. When he consulted his other imaginary management they said, no no, there is no existing market for that, don't do it. Well, Stevey got cowed by them and his company went broke not growing and creating. He then roamed the streets like Diogenes with a Moterola RAZeR in hand looking for quality honest management the rest of his imaginary life regretting not making those devices.
    In this reality, I bet BlackBerry is regretting its decision to make BlackBerry 10 devices right about now. Can you name a single BB10 device that has been a commercial success? Just think of what BlackBerry could do with all of those billions of dollars they have wasted on BB10. Do you think any other manufacturers wants that same regret? Are CEOs sitting around trying to come up with ways to waste their money?

Chen keeps mentioning that BlackBerry isn't just about phones anymore. They are trying to become a software and services company because they can't turn a profit off of hardware that is running their mobile OS. If BlackBerry itself can't make a profit off of BB10, then what makes you think any other manufacturer would have better luck?

This idea isn't even original. Thorsten told the world that they would be interested in licensing out BB10 to interested manufacturers, yet here we are and it is still only BlackBerry who is loosing money on BB10. Doesn't that fact kind of speak for itself?
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-20-14 05:10 PM
    In an alternate imaginary other reality there is a man called Stevey Joobs who had a great idea for a device that was rectangular and sported a touchscreen and a mobile laptop-like slab also with a touchscreen. When he consulted his other imaginary management they said, no no, there is no existing market for that, don't do it. Well, Stevey got cowed by them and his company went broke not growing and creating. He then roamed the streets like Diogenes with a Moterola RAZeR in hand looking for quality honest management the rest of his imaginary life regretting not making those devices.
    Trying to rent out BB10 to other manufacturers to make a little extra cash is both literally and conceptually the opposite of what Jobs would have done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-20-14 06:47 PM
    I thing I have to fire my imaginary armchair CEO-consultants and hire some imaginary Yes men.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    09-20-14 06:52 PM
    I think some people are just being realistic, while others aren't. You can call that being a pessimist or naysayer if you'd like though.
    I would accept that if the same guys weren't negative all around in other posts as well.

And in an intellectual exercise that the op is engaging it would be far more fun and interesting if people actually came up with ideas. I think saying realist is just a cop out.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    09-20-14 07:05 PM
    I would accept that if the same guys weren't negative all around in other posts as well.

And in an intellectual exercise that the op is engaging it would be far more fun and interesting if people actually came up with ideas. I think saying realist is just a cop out.

Posted via CB10
    I'd hardly call it an intellectual exercise... More of wishful thinking.

Posted from an ME173X
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    09-20-14 07:30 PM
    I'd hardly call it an intellectual exercise... More of wishful thinking.

Posted from an ME173X
    Exactly. I can't think of too many reasons why the head of a manufacturer would pay Blackberry to put BB10 on their tablets when they have access to already tablet optimized operating system like Windows 8 or Android for free. Especially when the OP proposes that the manufacturer should take care of marketing and assume almost all of the risk. Microsoft payed Nokia $2 billion a year to use Windows Phone as well as funding a billion dollar holiday marketing campaign for them when they first started.

Plus as it was pointed out earlier, no one in the OHA would be in as they are not allowed to use Android code for a non-Android operating system. So that leaves out HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, Samsung, Asus, Huawei, Toshiba, Acer, ZTE, Lenovo, as well. Which companies does the OP suggest should make these BB10 tablets.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    09-20-14 10:19 PM
    The licensing aspect of this plan has some merit. However, I would not try to license BB10 to any third parties as I believe BB10 should only be for Blackberry devices. Having BB10 makes Blackberry devices unique and gives the company tighter quality control over OS/hardware integration. The Blackberry product we should be looking at is QNX and increasing its presence in the embedded OS market.

As of 2013, QNX had a 3% share of the embedded market (couldn't find the 2014 info). The top players in this market are Android (16%), Ubuntu (13%), FreeRTOS (13%), and Windows Embedded (11%). The majority of the embedded market still chooses to use in-house or custum OSes (24%). 3 percent seems rather small for an OS that is seemingly doing so well in the automotive industry and is now going into the medical industry. I'd push for expansion of QNX into the professional audio, professional video, professional photography markets. Each new QNX embedded device will have have BBM and some baked-in cross-functionality with BB10+ devices (This isn't to say that the OEM can't also create cross-functionality with other devices as well).
    09-20-14 10:46 PM
    Except of course Stevey Joobs would never license his idea out to third party OEMs, He's want 100% control of the device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-21-14 12:30 AM
    Better idea: BlackBerry buy Kindle hardware from Amazon and load BB10 on it.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-21-14 04:16 PM
    Better idea: BlackBerry buy Kindle hardware from Amazon and load BB10 on it.
    They already did that, or something very close to it. The Playbook and the original Kindle Fire were both based on Quanta Computer's reference tablet design, which is why they look nearly identical. BB didn't design or manufacture the Playbook - they merely picked the specs they wanted, just like Amazon did, and Quanta manufactured them.
    09-21-14 08:07 PM
    They already did that, or something very close to it. The Playbook and the original Kindle Fire were both based on Quanta Computer's reference tablet design, which is why they look nearly identical. BB didn't design or manufacture the Playbook - they merely picked the specs they wanted, just like Amazon did, and Quanta manufactured them.
    Yes I'm quite aware of this. The PlayBook hardware actually had more bells and whistles. But now that BlackBerry has a better OS, and a relationship with Amazon, they should see if they can work a deal with Amazon directly to get extra purchasing power, and have Amazon retail it for them. The device will be FIPS as soon as BB10 is loaded on it and it should minimize BlackBerry's risk getting back into the tablet space.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-21-14 08:36 PM
    Let's say, if Blend with its iPad compatibility is a success (applying BlackBerry custom yardstick here, not Apple's or Google's), then a BlackBerry 10 tablet is

A) either gonna be even less likely, because a Surface Pro or iPad will be as good as a dumb tablet for Blend (replacing Bridge in a way), plus they've got plenty of apps

B)even more likely, because BlackBerry can add more value, custom apps and extra functionality which wouldn't be possible on a 3rd party device / OS

Depends on the reception by the target audience and beyond. Take this just as a guess or opinion.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-25-14 08:25 AM
    I would think if BlackBerry can start to get a small profit on handsets they should build a business oriented tablet and make it very inexpensive. Licensing would be fine if it is feasible for the other company, but the final product would most likely be too expensive. That's up to BlackBerry if they would like to lose a bit to get a manufacturing partner and expand. It is a slippery slope, but I would only see BlackBerry making their own tablet. Most likely with Foxconn.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:36 AM
    Let's say, if Blend with its iPad compatibility is a success (applying BlackBerry custom yardstick here, not Apple's or Google's), then a BlackBerry 10 tablet is

A) either gonna be even less likely, because a Surface Pro or iPad will be as good as a dumb tablet for Blend (replacing Bridge in a way), plus they've got plenty of apps

B)even more likely, because BlackBerry can add more value, custom apps and extra functionality which wouldn't be possible on a 3rd party device / OS

Depends on the reception by the target audience and beyond. Take this just as a guess or opinion.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Blend sounds like a great idea for 2010 or for someone who doesn't feel secure using Cloud services.

But today I don't know too many people that even use their computers all that often, except for at work. The need to sync data between your computer and your phone has moved to the need to sync data between your Tablet and your Phone, or between your device and the Cloud.

Blend will be great for enterprise customers! But as more consumers move away from using traditional computers on a regular basis, I don't see Blend adding much value. And I certainly don't see a dumb tablet being popular.

BOT: When OEM's can get Windows and Android for almost nothing.... why would the want to "try" an OS that so far has failed?
    Sure BlackBerry made some mistakes in hardware choices, pricing and branding. But ultimately it was the OS that failed to impress. And I doubt that BlackBerry is in a position to start subsidizing marketing for OEM. Google and Microsoft have ads on on TV, online and other places all the time, and every one of these ads in some way benefits their OEM partners. Whereas most people already think BlackBerry is dead, doubt many even know what BB10 is.
    09-25-14 08:58 AM
    The problem is that manufacturers have 2 option right now for tablets:
    1. Android. An ok system that has matured over time even for tablets. Also it's FREE to licence and comes with a great ecosystem
    2 Windows Phone 8. WP8 is free to licence, but only for devices under 6 or 7 inches (I forgot the exact number). Again you get a good OS and a pretty good services ecosystem and an ok app ecosystem.

I don't think a Sony, Samsung, Asus would PAY BB money for BB10 when they can get Android for free. I know I as a manufacturer wouldn't.
    09-27-14 07:29 AM
    Blend sounds like a great idea for 2010 or for someone who doesn't feel secure using Cloud services.

But today I don't know too many people that even use their computers all that often, except for at work. The need to sync data between your computer and your phone has moved to the need to sync data between your Tablet and your Phone, or between your device and the Cloud.

Blend will be great for enterprise customers! But as more consumers move away from using traditional computers on a regular basis, I don't see Blend adding much value. And I certainly don't see a dumb tablet being popular.

BOT: When OEM's can get Windows and Android for almost nothing.... why would the want to "try" an OS that so far has failed?
    Sure BlackBerry made some mistakes in hardware choices, pricing and branding. But ultimately it was the OS that failed to impress. And I doubt that BlackBerry is in a position to start subsidizing marketing for OEM. Google and Microsoft have ads on on TV, online and other places all the time, and every one of these ads in some way benefits their OEM partners. Whereas most people already think BlackBerry is dead, doubt many even know what BB10 is.
    It's a serious mistake to imagine people don't use their computers. They do. And for work purposes especially so, because tablets are bloody useless at any kind of heavy lifting. Work is a huge part of things, it can't be viewed as some kind of sideline.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:38 AM
    It's a serious mistake to imagine people don't use their computers. They do. And for work purposes especially so, because tablets are bloody useless at any kind of heavy lifting. Work is a huge part of things, it can't be viewed as some kind of sideline.

Posted via CB10

I agree that if you need heavy lifting you will be much happier with a desktop experience. But what does the average consumer do that would be considered "heavy lifting"? I know my wife hardly uses her computer anymore. Several people I know don't even own a computer, when their's went bad they bought a tablet.

Sure there are some power users that want the power of a desktop or they do a lot of video converting or host files for streaming. But that is the exception and not the rule.

Again I think Blend will be great for work... at least where it is allowed. Think it will take a little to get IT departments on board to allow Blend over already in place, tested and approved means of accessing company files.
    09-27-14 08:59 PM
    I agree that if you need heavy lifting you will be much happier with a desktop experience. But what does the average consumer do that would be considered "heavy lifting"? I know my wife hardly uses her computer anymore. Several people I know don't even own a computer, when their's went bad they bought a tablet.

Sure there are some power users that want the power of a desktop or they do a lot of video converting or host files for streaming. But that is the exception and not the rule.

Again I think Blend will be great for work... at least where it is allowed. Think it will take a little to get IT departments on board to allow Blend over already in place, tested and approved means of accessing company files.
    But that's my point, the work element is really important, and it's a mistake to think "only" work, it absolutely enormous.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 03:58 AM
43 12