Refocus on areas where they still have a presence, like Canada, UK, South Africa, Indonesia,UAE, Nigeria and even Australia where they are showing some growth. Spend all marketing dollars in these areas, rebuild the brand and the reputation and act like a start up business once the job cuts are complete. They should offer their entire line of phones unlocked online and at COMPETITIVE prices. BlackBerry started off in Canada, maybe they need to restart their as well.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Z30
    Last edited by playbookster; 12-13-13 at 09:17 AM.
    togarika, KDB84, Mack Gans and 2 others like this.
    12-13-13 09:06 AM
    And leave the niche of Americans who love BB out in the cold? Why? If anything I think they should re-focus their efforts on winning back American mindset. It would be a struggle but may come with a pretty hefty reward if executed correctly.
    12-13-13 09:19 AM
    And leave the niche of Americans who love BB out in the cold? Why? If anything I think they should re-focus their efforts on winning back American mindset. It would be a struggle but may come with a pretty hefty reward if executed correctly.
    Spending marketing dollars on America is a waste of money right now. They wouldn't be 'left out in the cold ' I said all phones would be available online unlocked.

Sent from my Z30
    12-13-13 09:20 AM
    Have to disagree. If they did a better job representing the product instead of what grandma used to say was 'sucking on one thumb and sitting on the other waiting for someone to tell you when to switch', they might actually have a chance. But if is a mighty big word.
    12-13-13 09:20 AM
    dont know about other country..but in indonesia (once again 15 million BB users) the marketshare already belong to android / samsung...if you see in public area in Jakarta (Indonesia largest city) past 2 years you will see BlackBerry everywhere...but today it is Samsung/android phone everywhere

BB already selling BB10 cheaper in indonesia than other country Z10 for $340 , Q5 for $280 , Q10 for $490 and BB still need to pay large import taxes...but they still losing their marketshare from 42% last year to only 20% now, while Android phone from 37% increased to more than 60% (48% samsung 12% other android vendor)

expect BB numbers keep dropping rapidly because of BBM cross platform..
    boi2012 and JR A like this.
    12-13-13 09:24 AM
    Short answer... NO!
    beamolite and rarsen like this.
    12-13-13 09:25 AM
    Probably wouldn't hurt in the short term, but long term it would be suicidal. The US market isn't unique. What happened to BlackBerry there can very easily happen in other markets that they're currently stronger in. If they can't figure out how to survive in the US (even as a niche player) then they will run into the same problem when they are eventually challenged in the other markets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-13-13 09:31 AM

The US isn't BlackBerry's problem.

Do you have some figures that indicate that BlackBerry (BB10 and not BBOS) is growing in these markets... or are they just not falling as fast in these markets? From what I've seen Canada, UK and Australia are all moving away from BlackBerry also.

Attachment 229536

Attachment 229537

Do you have information on how BlackBerry can offer COMPETITIVE prices - without writing the inventory off in the first place? Can they buy parts competitively? Can they build or have manufactured the small number of devices they need at a competitive prices compared to the masses orders from other device manufacturers? What is their overhead and operational cost in comparison? If they go against Carriers... What happens if the Carriers decide to charge more for those BES Services to make up for their lost "cut".

Don't blame the "markets" for BlackBerry problems. Yes going where customers are does make sense, but would you be going to markets where you can expect continued growth, or just to markets where the decline has hit as hard yet?
    garnok, JeepBB, Bsbudd and 3 others like this.
    12-13-13 09:32 AM
    They already have kind of done that. They sell direct online to US customers, they are losing carrier support, they do less advertising in the US than any other market. I think they already did. Just not officially. It's a smarter play if they are trying to save money. But I have to agree with pantlesspenguin that if executed properly a rebirth of the brand in the USA could be very beneficial. They may still be number 4 but they could at least see a little growth rather than a decline that they are seeing now. Perhaps some incentives to legacy owners to switch and getting more BES servers going with discounts based on devices sold. The USA is an important market. They have the influence to drive other markets as well. The two most influential cities in the world are London and New York.
    12-13-13 09:33 AM
    Title updated to fix a typo
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-13-13 09:45 AM
    No they shouldn't! Screw you!

I didn't even read your post . I live in the US. An edit is probably coming!

EDIT: Yeah, my post still stands. Terrible idea!

Posted with my AMERICAN Q10!
    Atmarix and milo53 like this.
    12-13-13 09:51 AM
    Refocus on areas where they still have a presence, like Canada, UK, South Africa, Indonesia,UAE, Nigeria and even Australia where they are showing some growth. Spend all marketing dollars in these areas, rebuild the brand and the reputation and act like a start up business once the job cuts are complete. They should offer their entire line of phones unlocked online and at COMPETITIVE prices. BlackBerry started off in Canada, maybe they need to restart their as well.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Z30
    At this point it would be more efficient for BB to focus on one country with 300 million people (with high earning power to buy premium devices) rather than 7 countries with 700 million people.

Marketing dollars are limited, workforce is shrinking, and trends tend to flow out of America more often than into America. It is what it is.
    12-13-13 09:51 AM
    I thought they pretty much HAVE pulled out. Their presence in carrier stores at this point is really just to sell to pure business users. They are not going to stop selling to large US corporations and government.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    12-13-13 09:53 AM
    Spending marketing dollars on America is a waste of money right now. They wouldn't be 'left out in the cold ' I said all phones would be available online unlocked.

Sent from my Z30
    I was referring to the US market being "left out in the cold" of any new devices, services, etc if they pull out of the American market. What would be the point of keeping current devices available to purchase online, but not have any marketing effort behind selling them? The people that were excited for these devices pretty much already have them (except the Z30, where people may be waiting for contracts to expire, the price to drop, etc). Unless people want to purchase backup devices it really wouldn't do much good, and they essentially would be left in the cold because they wouldn't have access to new things, if I'm understanding your vision correctly.
    12-13-13 10:00 AM
    What I mean by this is, they get no support from carriers, no support from the media, the general sentiment is to bash BlackBerry in the US. I feel like if they take a break from that market and just refocus their energy and money on areas where they still have a decent market share they can rebuild their image and then try the US market in a couple years as the "all new Blackberry ltd"

Sent from my Z30
    KDB84 and Loc22 like this.
    12-13-13 10:02 AM

Thoughts?

Sent from my Z30
    I slightly agree with you..
    12-13-13 10:05 AM
    Retreat and consolidate your forces.... is a battle plan for those losing a war.
    JeepBB and milo53 like this.
    12-13-13 10:10 AM
    Unfortunately the US has historically been a leading indicator for the other markets. It isn't really an option to pull out of the US market, get successful elsewhere, then jump back in. If what a company is doing doesn't work in the US, chances of success are very much lowered elsewhere.

Of course there are companies which did very well without a significant US presence, Nokia in its heyday being the most notable example as well as some of the recent Asian ones. But IMO those are more the exception.
    aniym likes this.
    12-13-13 10:11 AM
    Retreat and consolidate your forces.... is a battle plan for those losing a war.
    What's the alternative?

Sent from my Z30
    KDB84 likes this.
    12-13-13 10:13 AM
    Right focus on Canada with a population of less than 40 million and a 4% OS share and leave a US market of over 300 million where they enjoy a 5% OS market share and growing. Brilant move!
    12-13-13 10:17 AM
    They already have kind of done that. They sell direct online to US customers, they are losing carrier support, they do less advertising in the US than any other market. I think they already did. Just not officially. It's a smarter play if they are trying to save money. But I have to agree with pantlesspenguin that if executed properly a rebirth of the brand in the USA could be very beneficial. They may still be number 4 but they could at least see a little growth rather than a decline that they are seeing now. Perhaps some incentives to legacy owners to switch and getting more BES servers going with discounts based on devices sold. The USA is an important market. They have the influence to drive other markets as well. The two most influential cities in the world are London and New York.
    I agree with you, they can't pull out! If Blackberry could run a very simple marketing plan and advertising compain nothing over the top but spots that stick,.. they would be seen. I have not seen a BB commercial on TV in the US since the last Superbowl fiasco. Anything would help them to be seen. Forget even placing the shots of carriers and just saying at the end "see carriers for details" Nothing brings nothing, and that answers the qeustion at hand. If they don't do anything forget the pullout,.. It will just happen on its own. IMHO!
    Rello likes this.
    I'm inclined to agree with the OP.

Given that the US seems to want to be held hostage by the tranditional Apple/Microsoft duopoly, it makes some sense to let that happen until US consumers are fed up with paying higher prices with reduced product choices.

I think businesses should be the only focus for Blackberry and restrict handset sales to US clients that also have a BES10 license.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 12-13-13 at 03:29 PM.
    I thought they already did?
    brout likes this.
    12-13-13 10:18 AM
    What I mean by this is, they get no support from carriers, no support from the media, the general sentiment is to bash BlackBerry in the US. I feel like if they take a break from that market and just refocus their energy and money on areas where they still have a decent market share they can rebuild their image and then try the US market in a couple years as the "all new Blackberry ltd"

Sent from my Z30
    bashing not only happen in the US. in indonesia article about BB already full of bashing, and ridicule BB...and like in the US some store or your friend most of the time always laughing when you said you want to buy a BB phone.

and i'm sure it happen also in other countries you mention...in all the countries you mention BB market share also get a hit really hard..
    abhi7848 likes this.
    12-13-13 10:18 AM
    I thought they already did?
    Officially no

Sent from my Z30
    12-13-13 10:19 AM
232 123 ...