In June 2015, I wrote my case for why Blackberry should move to Android. Lots of negative opinions at the time, but apparently this has turned out to be a good thing for BB users wanting current Apps. I just wrote a follow-up post and would be happy to have your feedback again.
    Kind regards,
    Jsquaredz

Next phase of Blackberry

A few months after my June 2015 post that BlackBerry should adopt Android as its underlying platform, BlackBerry did just that with the Blackberry Priv in November 2015. I’ll admit that I am happy to see that John Chen reads my blog and takes my advice. It may not look like the plan worked, but I would argue that had BlackBerry not adopted Android things would be far worse right now. At least the BlackBerry faithful have a thread to hang onto until the next moves play out.

With the platform issue out of the way, the question became, how to stop the financial bleeding of hardware design, manufacturing, and support costs. Admittedly, I haven’t been paying attention for a while, but I believe BlackBerry made the only possible move that makes sense. They outsourced their hardware manufacturing and design process. This is superior to dropping or selling the money-losing phone hardware business altogether since BlackBerry still needs a platform they control where they can build their software.

BlackBerry started the outsourcing process with Foxconn but were left having to provide marketing and distribution themselves. Their latest iteration of a deal is now with TCL who will take over that entire operation. Outside of the US, TCL is a pretty good size electronics company, so this is a pretty good move for BlackBerry. BlackBerry can rest assured that their hardware is relatively safe and sound from a design, manufacturing, and marketing perspective.

A key question remains. How does BlackBerry differentiate itself enough to get a core group of buyers that they can eventually grow?” I think their way back in is through the enterprise. The company I work for allows us to choose either an iPhone or an Android device. I see a relatively even split between iPhones and Android devices (I’m going to pretend this represents a good sampling of corporate America and since this is just a blog post I don’t have to provide any data to support my idea, LOL.) If BlackBerry can get themselves back in with Verizon and AT&T, I am sure that a large group of users will select them when choosing a phone.

As much as I love my iPhone I might be tempted to a BlackBerry running Android to have my good old Blackberry Hub, and physical keyboard back again…
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-26-17 at 01:26 AM.
    02-25-17 02:49 PM
    In June 2015, I wrote my case for why Blackberry should move to Android. Lots of negative opinions at the time, but apparently this has turned out to be a good thing for BB users wanting current Apps. I just wrote a follow-up post and would be happy to have your feedback again.
    Kind regards,
    Jsquaredz
    What's next? Seems like you're the oracle around here, why don't you tell is what next? =)
    02-26-17 01:19 AM
    CB Kevin also said that they should move to Android quite a while ago. Now we must wait and see if the first few BlackBerry Mobile phones sell. . .

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-26-17 07:56 AM
    What's next? Seems like you're the oracle around here, why don't you tell is what next? =)
    World domination obviously.
    02-26-17 11:06 AM
    CB Kevin also said that they should move to Android quite a while ago. Now we must wait and see if the first few BlackBerry Mobile phones sell. . .
    He wrote a long post way back in 2009 about why BB should adopt Android (back in 2009). Of course, they went another way, and, well, here we are.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-26-17 12:19 PM
    Android would have been a major issue for BlackBerry to secure back in 2009. We would probably have ended up with some kind of forked version like BlackPhone... so still no apps.

And the problem too many overlook is... BlackBerry NEVER was really a competitive manufacture of phones. You would have still had them about 12 Months behind everyone else and trying to ask a premium for their products.

Now that might have still worked for them with their enterprise customers if they had gotten out a secure product in say 2010/2011... even with premium pricing, it might have kept Apple from dominating the business market.

But no BIS features would have still killed their development market business.
    And no way to compete in the features/specs/price battles that most Android OEM were fighting in that period... would have doomed their consumer business.

I doubt Android would have been any more of a solution for them then... as it is now.
    03-03-17 10:28 AM

A few months after my June 2015 post that BlackBerry should adopt Android as its underlying platform, BlackBerry did just that with the Blackberry Priv in November 2015. I’ll admit that I am happy to see that John Chen reads my blog and takes my advice…
    I'm sure you meant that in jest. Considering that Ron Louks had already convinced Chen to go android with the development of the Priv.

Remember the device Louks showed off at the 2015 MWC in early March of that year?

Yes, it had a back-lit "BB10" screen, but it was a dummy screen because BlackBerry couldn't yet disclose their impending, but already working, partnership with Google.

Joel
    03-03-17 11:08 AM
    Heres my armchair ceo advice:

2 divisions: enterprise and individual consumers

with everyday consumers: focus on the best keyboard phone w/ blackberry hub and other BB's favorite features on an android device. android is necessity to provide consumers with a large ecosystem (nonexistent on BB10).

Enterprise: Provide enterprise customer with custom, highly secure communication devices using BB10. These customers are not as interested in large ecosystems but rather customized software and hardware for mission execution (email, voice, other communication, POS, etc) with security.

I dont think people mind having 2 devices and many even prefer it having a phone just for work and another for personal use. Having one device that is the trick of all trades isn't practical.
    04-04-17 01:47 PM
    Continue to improve you your software offering for consumers. Several of my friends moved over to the Hub and are paying for it.

Create a better offering for consumers in regards to your MDM solution.

I know plenty of people who would use it.....

When you have a NAS at home, some laptops, tablets and phones within your family and friends... a simple way to share and protect your data is still something that seems to be missing in the market....

The key word is simple. The second is secure....
    04-04-17 01:59 PM
    Enterprise: Provide enterprise customer with custom, highly secure communication devices using BB10. These customers are not as interested in large ecosystems
    Corporate people still book hotels and flights, use Uber and Lyft, go to conferences that feature custom apps (for iOS and Android) for the activities, and on and on. And, because these same users cannot root/jailbreak/sideload, they're limited to the apps in the official app stores. To not understand that is to be firmly in denial.

But it's irrelevant. BB10 is dead, and won't be resurrected. BB doesn't make smartphones at all anymore, and their partners have no interest in BB10. The BB10 development team is long, long gone (more than 2 years already, closing in on 3). It's time to let the dream go - even CBK has made that clear.
    jmr1015 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-05-17 07:18 PM
    Corporate people still book hotels and flights, use Uber and Lyft, go to conferences that feature custom apps (for iOS and Android) for the activities, and on and on. And, because these same users cannot root/jailbreak/sideload, they're limited to the apps in the official app stores. To not understand that is to be firmly in denial.

But it's irrelevant. BB10 is dead, and won't be resurrected. BB doesn't make smartphones at all anymore, and their partners have no interest in BB10. The BB10 development team is long, long gone (more than 2 years already, closing in on 3). It's time to let the dream go - even CBK has made that clear.
    hey thats fine, i'm not an expert, i'm just talking arm chair ceo here. In my experience there are many work related communication requirements that can benefit from a simple and secure device without the apps. If you wanted to catch an uber and go to a hotel, that would be something you would do on your personal consumer device that has the touch screen and android/iOS. but for making calls and answering emails and running the company application, having a querty device with the toolbelt can be a marketable solution. I think blackberry's mistake was to try to chase the consumer market with its enterprise device. the two are not the same.

I agree, that ship has sailed for now. The company is focused on stemming the financial loses and doing whats profitable. No more risky investments in what may work, they need to put into place what will work and start making money again.

thanks for your input, i appreciate a constructive and polite dialogue.
    04-05-17 08:20 PM
    I think blackberry's mistake was to try to chase the consumer market with its enterprise device. the two are not the same.
    You're missing the point: the two ARE the same. A secure enterprise device today is simply a consumer device that is connected and managed by an MDM software with a secure container for work-related activities, but is otherwise a normal, full-featured consumer device.

Which is why iOS and Android own 99+% of the enterprise world.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-05-17 08:24 PM
    You're missing the point: the two ARE the same. A secure enterprise device today is simply a consumer device that is connected and managed by an MDM software with a secure container for work-related activities, but is otherwise a normal, full-featured consumer device.

Which is why iOS and Android own 99+% of the enterprise world.
    gotcha, i had a feeling you would say that. I dont disagree with you. I think some enterprise users look for that type of device. But there are plenty of other field applications where the touch screen slab thats multi-media oriented isn't ideal. I for one work in that type of industry where we need use our phones to make actual calls and reply to emails. In addition we are given tablet to access manuals, charts, paperwork, company apps, and infographics.

I'm sure youve seen this as well, but there are still many people out there using blackberries for work, some by choice. its not a large number, the majority is obviously android/iOS, but there is a niche market and demand for the old fashioned communication device.

I disagree with your analysis on why iOS and Android own most of the enterprise world. They own it because they own the consumer world and its just cheaper for many companies to let people use their own personal devices that many employees prefer. What i'm looking at is that small market share that prefers, and in some cases, demands a true communication device controlled by the company and is secure.

Agree to disagree, but android/iOS took over the enterprise world by dominating the consumer world with a large ecosystem, much like blackberry took over the consumer world by having a solid enteprise holding through their strongpoints at the time circa 2005-2010
    04-05-17 08:33 PM
    i'm not saying blackberry should even own the corporate or enterprise user. All im saying is that they should still focus on providing custom solutions to these customers because there is still a demand for it. For everything else, sell them the blackberry android solution.
    04-05-17 08:40 PM
    gotcha, i had a feeling you would say that. I dont disagree with you. I think some enterprise users look for that type of device. But there are plenty of other field applications where the touch screen slab thats multi-media oriented isn't ideal. I for one work in that type of industry where we need use our phones to make actual calls and reply to emails. In addition we are given tablet to access manuals, charts, paperwork, company apps, and infographics.

I'm sure youve seen this as well, but there are still many people out there using blackberries for work, some by choice. its not a large number, the majority is obviously android/iOS, but there is a niche market and demand for the old fashioned communication device.
    That pretty much ceased to exist in the US 2 years ago, except maybe in D.C. Of course, I used to see them everywhere, but I literally have not seen a single BB, not even a BBOS device, in at least 2 years. I work all over the SF Bay Area, including lots of corporate work in the city and in the south bay, as well as doing work for upper-class corporate types in their homes - exactly the type you'd expect to have a corporate BB - but 3/4 of them have a corporate iPhone, and the others have a Samsung.

I realize that it is different in other areas of the world - I'm sure I'd encounter them in Toronto - but in California, I'd be surprised if there were more than a few thousand in the whole state.

I disagree with your analysis on why iOS and Android own most of the enterprise world. They own it because they own the consumer world and its just cheaper for many companies to let people use their own personal devices that many employees prefer. What i'm looking at is that small market share that prefers, and in some cases, demands a true communication device controlled by the company and is secure.
    It remains to be seen if that niche is large enough to support even a single device profitably.
    04-05-17 10:08 PM
    I work in the airline industry, I travel all over the country (pilot), in addition to my other corporate role which requires additional traveling. On occasion ill see blackberries at airports and flights (always in first/ business class seating). Every time I see one I glance at it in amazement that people are still using it.

As for the profitability, I would have to agree with your assessment that the market could be too small to justify production and servicing, but perhaps if BlackBerry did a better job at executing such business plan, demand would increase. At present bb7 is too old and bb10 is a consumer OS with 0 ecosystem, good for nothing. They should of made bb10 with qwerty devices and optimized it for the hardware much like the legacy bb7. Classic would be a joy to use if the device were optimized in that manner.
    04-05-17 10:27 PM
    Considering how it all turned out, maybe John Chen should stop reading blog posts..
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-27-17 08:08 AM
    Considering how it all turned out, maybe John Chen should stop reading blog posts..
    That's definitely true, with the Android phones for just a regular consumer we we're just like everyone else, and the phones didn't sell for Enterprise either that well
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-27-17 08:42 AM
    for mobile since they have outsourced manufacturing and distribution, they need to up their software game, the hub and launcher have alot of work to be done, they haven't really utilized all the Android N capabilities. I mean the 3D Touch feature like is non existent.
    06-27-17 09:00 AM
    I don't get this thought that only bbos can excell at calls and emails.
    06-27-17 09:28 AM
    I don't get this thought that only bbos can excell at calls and emails.
    My wife's Galaxy does just fine.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-17 06:02 PM
    What next? Whether it be the enterprise or consumer markets, BlackBerry should up the ante on its unique software offerings. I've already advocated to CBK the idea of having the BlackBerry 10 system font, Slate, as at least an option to Roboto on BlackBerry Mobile devices. BlackBerry also ought to make more unique productivity apps (DTEK, the BlackBerry keyboard, and BlackBerry Notable already stand out) exclsuive to the KEYone and other BlackBerry Android devices. I love the Hub updates, and hope it gets closer to BB10. While we wait for BlackBerry Mobile's slab and KEYone successors, I think innovating on the software route is the way for BlackBerry to go. I, for one, would also like to see a BlackBerry File Manager that plays well with the BlackBerry suite of Android apps, as well as BBM for Android. BlackBerry Mobile devices need to stand out as unique in the marketplace, and great software, along with reliably fast OS and security updates, will improve BlackBerry Mobile's rep in all their markets, especially in the eyes of the carriers that BlackBerry Mobile depends upon.
    06-27-17 06:32 PM
    now I found out who actually killed BB10... OP is the "Bennon" for John Chen.
    06-27-17 06:56 PM
    What next? Whether it be the enterprise or consumer markets, BlackBerry should up the ante on its unique software offerings. I've already advocated to CBK the idea of having the BlackBerry 10 system font, Slate, as at least an option to Roboto on BlackBerry Mobile devices. BlackBerry also ought to make more unique productivity apps (DTEK, the BlackBerry keyboard, and BlackBerry Notable already stand out) exclsuive to the KEYone and other BlackBerry Android devices. I love the Hub updates, and hope it gets closer to BB10. While we wait for BlackBerry Mobile's slab and KEYone successors, I think innovating on the software route is the way for BlackBerry to go. I, for one, would also like to see a BlackBerry File Manager that plays well with the BlackBerry suite of Android apps, as well as BBM for Android. BlackBerry Mobile devices need to stand out as unique in the marketplace, and great software, along with reliably fast OS and security updates, will improve BlackBerry Mobile's rep in all their markets, especially in the eyes of the carriers that BlackBerry Mobile depends upon.
    I'm not sure this will be enough to sell phones, particularly the slabs. Time will tell I guess, although it didn't help the DTEK phones to have the BlackBerry software.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-17 07:08 PM
    If BlackBerry Mobile hammers out deals with American carriers other than Sprint ASAP, the KEYone will end up as the true revitalization of BlackBerry as a smartphone brand. Looking back, it appears the DTEK devices were hurriedly put to market after the Priv's failure as placeholders for the KEYone.

To be clear, BlackBerry Mobile needs to move fast on wooing the other big three American carriers, because apparently the unlocked devices have their own issues on these carriers. I'm afraid the carriers would then ask, "Why bother?" All the more reason for BlackBerry Mobile to work closely with the carriers on getting the carrier versions out in the marketplace ASAP. Thus, I'd suggest getting the KEYone established in all markets and in all the major carriers, then shift focus on its successor as well as the DTEK slab successors.

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    06-27-17 08:56 PM
34 12