Last week I dreamed a phone. It would be easy to do and could make BBM get back in the business.
    Imagine a Phone that has two screens, one on each side of the phone. At one side you have a kind of a KEY2 phone. At the other side an infinite display, without notch, just pure display.

If you wanna use the screen for consumption, you use the rear side of the phone and have 100% screen, normal phone. But when you have to type in something, you can opt to turn around the phone and use the keyboard instead.

Camera would be in one side only.

That would be a great product. Zero compromises.
    10-01-19 07:46 AM
    Interesting concept. It would likely need a thick "bumper" case that would keep the screens from making contact with the surfaces you set the phone on (table, desk, etc.) so they don't get scratched. Such a case could be designed so that it doesn't interfere with your PKB typing experience.

Switching screens would need to be a manual process, though - triggered by a hardware or software button. You couldn't rely solely on the gyroscope for that because you'd want your screen of choice to be usable from all possible angles.

It would be weird typing with a VKB on the all-touch side and feeling the PKB on the back.

And which side would be used to make phone calls? Both? Would there be an ear speaker on both sides?

I personally wouldn't be interested in such a device, though. I don't like phones with glass backs because they are very slippery and feel fragile. And one screen is plenty for all my needs.
    10-01-19 08:41 AM
    Interesting concept. It would likely need a thick "bumper" case that would keep the screens from making contact with the surfaces you set the phone on (table, desk, etc.) so they don't get scratched. Such a case could be designed so that it doesn't interfere with your PKB typing experience.

Switching screens would need to be a manual process, though - triggered by a hardware or software button. You couldn't rely solely on the gyroscope for that because you'd want your screen of choice to be usable from all possible angles.

It would be weird typing with a VKB on the all-touch side and feeling the PKB on the back.

And which side would be used to make phone calls? Both? Would there be an ear speaker on both sides?

I personally wouldn't be interested in such a device, though. I don't like phones with glass backs because they are very slippery and feel fragile. And one screen is plenty for all my needs.
    There would be a clip on cover that you'd put on the side you aren't using, so you'd have a nice grippy back no matter which side you used. If you want to switch sides, simply unclip the cover and slap it on the other side.
    Though I, too, wouldn't really be interested in such a device.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-19 03:42 PM
    It would be easy to do
    No, it would not.

There are always compromises. If such a thing were to come to pass, there would most likely be even more compromises.
    10-01-19 04:57 PM
    Already been done, just without a physical keyboard.

10-01-19 05:41 PM
    I would try not drinking before going to bed. You’ll probably have more realistic dreams.
    cgk likes this.
    10-01-19 08:46 PM
    I would try not drinking before going to bed. You’ll probably have more realistic dreams.
    Who wants reality in their dreams....

It's having some crazy dream and not being able to recognize it as a dream, that some have issues with. Something like thinking BlackBerry could easily get back into the business...

They don't have designers, engineers, software developers, sales staff... nothing that would allow them to pivot back to smartphones. And most importantly they don't have the MONEY to lay out for that type of business "start up".

While a cool concept idea... it's just not practical or viable for anyone. Let a lone some tiny software company.
    03-10-20 01:58 PM
    Last week I dreamed a phone. It would be easy to do and could make BBM get back in the business.
    Imagine a Phone that has two screens, one on each side of the phone. At one side you have a kind of a KEY2 phone. At the other side an infinite display, without notch, just pure display.

If you wanna use the screen for consumption, you use the rear side of the phone and have 100% screen, normal phone. But when you have to type in something, you can opt to turn around the phone and use the keyboard instead.

Camera would be in one side only.

Either the phone would be very thick and heavy or would be plugged all the time due to insufficient battery capacity.

However, since it is a dream, the battery could be very small and yet would have 10000 mah capacity.

Posted via my lovely  Z30
    05-08-20 03:21 AM
    I had a dream last night. That the deluded who believe in the BB fairy, vegans and Flat Earth idiots would just shut the F up and stop infecting the world with their baseless stupidity and whimsical day dreaming.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-20 12:44 PM
    I had a dream last night. That the deluded who believe in the BB fairy, vegans and Flat Earth idiots would just shut the F up and stop infecting the world with their baseless stupidity and whimsical day dreaming.

Posted via CB10
    Why then, did you insist on waking the dead just now?
    08-17-20 01:34 PM
    Never Say Never... new device 2021 from BlackBerry announced!! Salute to all those that said...Never again!
    08-19-20 10:29 AM
    Never Say Never... new device 2021 from BlackBerry announced!! Salute to all those that said...Never again!
    Still a year and many millions of dollars away, so don't hold your breath.
    08-19-20 10:50 AM
    Still a year and many millions of dollars away, so don't hold your breath.
    And when it launches what will you say then?...

Ahhh yes the famous Nokia...I will type away on my new KEY2 BBF100-6 and wait for this next device. Positive news.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-19-20 11:35 AM

Ahhh yes the famous Nokia...I will type away on my new KEY2 BBF100-6 and wait for this next device. Positive news.
    I'm not saying it won't happen, just that a year is still a long way away.

I will still need a supported product to bridge the gap, and I will have to wait for the patch and update commitment (the do or die element in all this) before pulling the trigger on an "OnwardMobility" device.
    08-19-20 11:37 AM

What choice for those of us that are required to use officially recognized fully supported up to date hardware. Due to COVID-19, security compromises have increased exponentially. My current E&O policy deductible just went from $5K USD to $50K USD this week. According to carrier, ALL of the hardware I (and other self employed independent contractors) use in my practice has become far more open to compromise. The rationale is that IC’s are more likely to use non-compliant hardware and software exposed to increased risk of compromise.
    08-20-20 08:38 AM