Hey fellas... and ladies?

Anyone know what phone Chen is currently using? I have not seen him pictured with one since the Passport.
    10-18-18 09:10 PM
    send him an email and find out. by the way, I think he is fulfill "peter's principle" now. even with SAF 12 million (drop from 37 million 2017 SAF) free money, earning per share still at lost of 0.04 per share. (4 million per month SAF that means still got around 1 million OS7 user out there to keep his lights on).
    10-19-18 03:30 PM
    I am giving 4 of 10
    Wow. A 4/10 CEO managed to save BlackBerry when everyone thought it would be impossible.

Must have been easy.
    10-22-18 09:33 AM
    Canadian gov is not Chinese, both bb and ZTE lost 1 billion. ZTE still kicking.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-18 11:04 AM
    How would you rate John Chen's 18 months 'in office' ? What do you think that
    he's done right, or that he's done wrong? I'm curious how people see him, and if
    bringing him on board has been a good thing for Blackberry or not.
    And five years later....

He was a great pinch hitter that got BlackBerry out of a jam, but he hasn't been able to do anything to help investors long term. And it's not looking too well for his big investment, Cylance. It's been almost 18 months, and it's not showing anything that investors see as a real opening for BlackBerry.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-21-20 02:48 PM
    And five years later....

He was a great pinch hitter that got BlackBerry out of a jam, but he hasn't been able to do anything to help investors long term. And it's not looking too well for his big investment, Cylance. It's been almost 18 months, and it's not showing anything that investors see as a real opening for BlackBerry.
    It's time for this man to apologize and go away.
    04-22-20 01:15 PM
    It's time for this man to apologize and go away.
    Apologise for what? Saving the company?

BB10 was a cesspool and they barely got out alive.

If the BoD and Prem were unhappy, they would release him. Quite the opposite, they were so impressed that they gave him a 5 year contract extension two years ago.

What would you have BlackBerry do differently? They went the only route available to them - building on their expertise in end-point security.

It's a tough world out there, and they are only a small player. Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and some others have basically taken everything.
    04-22-20 01:18 PM
    Apologise for what? Saving the company?

BB10 was a cesspool and they barely got out alive.

If the BoD and Prem were unhappy, they would release him. Quite the opposite, they were so impressed that they gave him a 5 year contract extension two years ago.

What would you have BlackBerry do differently? They went the only route available to them - building on their expertise in end-point security.

It's a tough world out there, and they are only a small player. Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and some others have basically taken everything.
    There is a difference in saving a patient, and putting them into a vegetative state to live out their lives on a ventilator....

Something is wrong. Other small UEM/ESS companies are fairing much better than BlackBerry.... and they don't have millions in IP revenue to fall back on. Chen blamed things on the UEM sales staff last year, but in the end what was the problem and why didn't he see it coming? He clearly isn't a good communicator.

BoD and Prem were happy with the stock trading around $12 back when they rehired him. Some of the bonus levels like $18 seems very possible.... Two years later the train is off the tracks, and it's not just COVID related.

I think BlackBerry has a good line up of products... but they need to be sold, and that takes a salesman, not an accountant.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-22-20 02:10 PM
    There is a difference in saving a patient, and putting them into a vegetative state to live out their lives on a ventilator....

Something is wrong. Other small UEM/ESS companies are fairing much better than BlackBerry.... and they don't have millions in IP revenue to fall back on. Chen blamed things on the UEM sales staff last year, but in the end what was the problem and why didn't he see it coming? He clearly isn't a good communicator.

BoD and Prem were happy with the stock trading around $12 back when they rehired him. Some of the bonus levels like $18 seems very possible.... Two years later the train is off the tracks, and it's not just COVID related.

I think BlackBerry has a good line up of products... but they need to be sold, and that takes a salesman, not an accountant.
    Sure. But if Prem thought there was a better person, better process, or better direction for the company, he wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Chen early.

Although the product lineup seems good on paper, I'm not qualified to properly judge it against the competition in the various markets.

I just think he's doing the best he can with what he has to work with.
    04-22-20 02:21 PM

You basically anticipated my words. Chen should be honest now and say...." I tried, i did my best, now it is not enough. Sorry"!!
    04-22-20 02:22 PM
    You basically anticipated my words. Chen should be honest now and say...." I tried, i did my best, now it is not enough. Sorry"!!
    Isn't it up to Chen's boss to decide if he can find someone better?

Stranger still is your insistence on an apology.

Pretty sure this has more to do with your long-standing grievance about the canning of BB10 - which really had nothing to do with Chen in the first place.
    04-22-20 02:45 PM
    Keep in mind that Chen didn't ask for the job - he was retired - and Prem convinced him to come out of retirement and keep BB out of bankruptcy. Chen has done that, but ultimately, Prem is calling the shots. Prem seems to be satisfied. We don't know if Prem contacted others before he got Chen, but that's likely - and it's likely that those others turned him down. Not many CEOs want to become captain of a sinking ship when the bow is already underwater.

BB's fate is certainly not assured - nothing in business ever is - but it's out of immediate danger. It's not as good as hoped for, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.
    phuoc and mctapt like this.
    04-22-20 03:18 PM
    Keep in mind that Chen didn't ask for the job - he was retired - and Prem convinced him to come out of retirement and keep BB out of bankruptcy. Chen has done that, but ultimately, Prem is calling the shots. Prem seems to be satisfied. We don't know if Prem contacted others before he got Chen, but that's likely - and it's likely that those others turned him down. Not many CEOs want to become captain of a sinking ship when the bow is already underwater.

BB's fate is certainly not assured - nothing in business ever is - but it's out of immediate danger. It's not as good as hoped for, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.
    two thieves working with each other to plant themselves in the company, help destroy any perceived value, keep earnings flat, stagger out earnings while cannibalizing the businesses to show revenues and throw up garbage startups. Speedup by overpaying and making cash an issue again right before CD comes due. So obvious when looking at the timeline, Watsa been licking his chops to scoop up all the patents and everything in pieces and then capitalize on it in private outside the purview of the public.

Chen -15/10 (helped destroy the company)
    Watsa - 8/10 (greedy ***** may actually lose his investment anyways from stupidly allowing Chen to destroy it, in fact encouraging his presence)
    BOD - 1/10 (just collecting a paycheque, what do they care - they're already retired - too many other eggs to fry)

The entire company is a vacuum suck - and now with little attention and little enviability in the market - at 500MM float, a company way out of it's league trying to play in the big leagues - Chen used up what remaining goodwill was left after what he destroyed to fund a little PR campaign about how John Chen saved BlackBerry, too bad startups can gain the same growth trajectory in about a year or two with no money vs this company that's still sinking cash every quarter - Next quarter Chen
    04-22-20 04:13 PM
    two thieves working with each other to plant themselves in the company, help destroy any perceived value, keep earnings flat, stagger out earnings while cannibalizing the businesses to show revenues and throw up garbage startups. Speedup by overpaying and making cash an issue again right before CD comes due. So obvious when looking at the timeline, Watsa been licking his chops to scoop up all the patents and everything in pieces and then capitalize on it in private outside the purview of the public.

Chen -15/10 (helped destroy the company)
    Watsa - 8/10 (greedy ***** may actually lose his investment anyways from stupidly allowing Chen to destroy it, in fact encouraging his presence)
    BOD - 1/10 (just collecting a paycheque, what do they care - they're already retired - too many other eggs to fry)

The entire company is a vacuum suck - and now with little attention and little enviability in the market - at 500MM float, a company way out of it's league trying to play in the big leagues - Chen used up what remaining goodwill was left after what he destroyed to fund a little PR campaign about how John Chen saved BlackBerry, too bad startups can gain the same growth trajectory in about a year or two with no money vs this company that's still sinking cash every quarter - Next quarter Chen
    How's your class action suit going?

Care to share your "data set" now?
    04-22-20 04:34 PM
    Isn't it up to Chen's boss to decide if he can find someone better?

Stranger still is your insistence on an apology.

Pretty sure this has more to do with your long-standing grievance about the canning of BB10 - which really had nothing to do with Chen in the first place.
    I personally think that for BB it is time for a change....He should resign....but maybe he has no economic interest to act so.... So he is going to stay longer, keeping on doing his silly interviews like two buddies at the bar, adding excuses.... while the shareholders are losing their patience....and money....

No, my post has nothing to do with BB10...sorry to hit your "ability" to read the mind of the persons here....consider in case my words as waporware....

I hope I did not hurt your feelings by critizising your myth!
    04-22-20 05:00 PM
    I personally think that for BB it is time for a change....He should resign....but maybe he has no economic interest to act so.... So he is going to stay longer, keeping on doing his silly interviews like two buddies at the bar, adding excuses.... while the shareholders are losing their patience....and money....

No, my post has nothing to do with BB10...sorry to hit your "ability" to read the mind of the persons here....consider in case my words as waporware....

You gave him a score of 5.5/10 ("insufficient") three years ago, so I don't think you just suddenly think it's "time for a change".

In any event, why would he leave when he still has a contract to fulfill? His bosses apparently have faith in him.
    04-22-20 05:12 PM
    You gave him a score of 5.5/10 ("insufficient") three years ago, so I don't think you just suddenly think it's "time for a change".

In any event, why would he leave when he still has a contract to fulfill? His bosses apparently have faith in him.
    Three years ago....look at the performance of BB now.... Btw...do you save all my messages or of everybody else here? That sounds pervert....!!
    04-22-20 05:18 PM
    Three years ago....look at the performance of BB now.... Btw...do you save all my messages or of everybody else here? That sounds pervert....!!
    Abnormal sexual behaviours aside, it's actually not too hard to scroll back through this thread.
    Last edited by conite; 04-22-20 at 07:56 PM.
    04-22-20 05:20 PM

Chen has done a great job for the shareholders that hired Chen to save the company and THEIR investment. Prem has done everything to protect and benefit his Fairfax shareholders. BlackBerry Limited for all intents and purposes failed with the failure of BB10 in 2013 and the subsequent failure to sell the company then.

Fairfax and Prem made and offer to purchase BlackBerry Limited for $9/share and then changed their mind. The company was headed for $0, Zero, Nada, Zip, absolutely nothing per share. Prem bought control of BlackBerry for his initial stake plus $1 Billion of debentures.

I've never touched shares of BlackBerry since then and never felt a good idea. It's called a bear hug and only the bear ever comes out happy. The company literally borrowed money from a legal version of loan shark.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-20 08:14 AM

If expecting revenues growth is a vegetative state of a company, I would still be happy to be a shareholder of that company.

While I would agree that BlackBerry is currently not having a clear product vision, at least from my perspective as an outsider, it is basically still in survival mode.

Firing a CEO who is doing his best and somehow successful - at least to keep it alive and getting better - is like firing a doctor while he is still operating a patient.

Posted via my lovely  Z30
    05-08-20 02:10 AM
    I can appreciate him for stopping the bleeding. But its clearly clueless that he doesn't know what to do at this point. I said this once and I'll say it again and people are going to think that I'm crazy. I still think that Thorsten Heins was the better CEO. He had actually cared about the BB identity hardware and software. It just sucked that he didn't have any innovative strategies to get people on board with BB's marketing and developing.
    08-08-20 12:25 PM
    I can appreciate him for stopping the bleeding. But its clearly clueless that he doesn't know what to do at this point. I said this once and I'll say it again and people are going to think that I'm crazy. I still think that Thorsten Heins was the better CEO. He had actually cared about the BB identity hardware and software. It just sucked that he didn't have any innovative strategies to get people on board with BB's marketing and developing.
    Chen has amassed a portfolio of enterprise end-point security and management software. I'm not sure what other expertise they could have leveraged instead. The BlackBerry board of directors hired him specifically to do this after they had already decided to dump hardware.

All Thorsten did was introduced the already-developed and already-doomed BB10 to the market like a good little boy. What else did he do?
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-08-20 12:43 PM
    Heins had no clue..... it was too late in 2013 to lauch a new mobile platform. BlackBerry, Microsoft and several others all proved that... would have taken more than the 10's of billions that were wasted on that effort.

I do think Chen's no longer the right guy to move the BlackBerry Enterprise Software company forward... but then I'm not sure anyone can at this point. They have always been two steps behind the competition, and operating from behind the eight ball. It's one thing to be a big fish in a tiny pond... but when the likes of Microsoft, VMWare, IBM... start swimming around in your pond. Your days are numbered.

Chen's job I think was always to find a buyer... that would pay more than what PREM could scrape the company for by going private. But they are running out of time...

Cylance was the last shot at using the cash to turn the company into a viable software company - UEM was already in decline. But Cylance hasn't done well on it's own... not sure how much it can help QNX or UEM.
    08-10-20 09:14 AM
    JC must have a big golden parachute dependent upon keeping BlackBerry afloat for a certain timeframe...
    08-10-20 10:08 AM
    JC must have a big golden parachute dependent upon keeping BlackBerry afloat for a certain timeframe...
    He was hired in 2013, and then given a contract extension in 2018 - which will last until 2023.
    08-10-20 10:15 AM
328 ... 89101112 ...