John Chen = Good for the BOD. But bad for the community

Ps.: However, we have seen worse... cough, cough, Stephen Elop.
    The fact that BlackBerry actually survived, which led to licencing and the very existence of BlackBerry-branded devices in 2018 is BAD for the community?
    CHIP72 and Marcus R like this.
    02-03-18 12:08 PM
    as long as those analysts can drive BB stock higher, so far, not much beside that blip of 18.00... (I need it go to 30 plus takeover 20% to break even... )... that cash burn is worry some... better be fast...wink, wink, any takers?
    02-03-18 01:39 PM
    He has been richly rewarded for he brought to BlackBerry, but the challenges at BlackBerry going forward are beyond his competence and ability.

Hence, I'm unable to give him any rating.
    02-16-18 09:19 AM
    My rating is 3 out of 10. Though I should give a 1 rating. For obvious reasons of course.
    03-18-18 07:57 PM
    Whether BB10 was the best mobile OS in the world is based on opinion, but what isn't based on opinion is that there was limited adoption of BB10 by consumers and companies. The market collectively did not think BB10 was the best mobile OS, or one wants to be less harsh, collectively did not think BB10 was significantly better than Android OS or iOS that it warranted adoption.
    Your comment is nothing more than conjecture. How can people know about BB10 when it was NEVER marketed nor advertised to begin with, not to mention millions upon millions were dying for a Z30 all touch high end BB10 REPLACEMENT, the Z30 that ended up being one of the best mobile phones to date, and we all ended up getting none of it. The Leap was a good idea, but underpowered & overpriced. Bla bla bla, I can go on and on with all the F'ups by the stubborn Chen that was great at ignoring consumers & BBRY owners.
    Yes, responding to an older post? I know, and I don't require a response, my mind has already been made up, that are based on hard facts. Bla Bla Bla
    03-18-18 08:13 PM
    Your comment is nothing more than conjecture. How can people know about BB10 when it was NEVER marketed nor advertised to begin with, not to mention millions upon millions were dying for a Z30 all touch high end BB10 REPLACEMENT, the Z30 that ended up being one of the best mobile phones to date, and we all ended up getting none of it. The Leap was a good idea, but underpowered & overpriced. Bla bla bla, I can go on and on with all the F'ups by the stubborn Chen that was great at ignoring consumers & BBRY owners.
    Yes, responding to an older post? I know, and I don't require a response, my mind has already been made up, that are based on hard facts. Bla Bla Bla
    There was marketing. Although, it was pathetic and not widespread. But NEVER is not true.
    03-18-18 08:29 PM
    My rating is 3 out of 10. Though I should give a 1 rating. For obvious reasons of course.
    Well I suppose Blackberry has given Chen a much higher rating, as they have signed him for another 5 years. They are obviously extremely happy with how he has executed.

"The BlackBerry Board of Directors has tremendous confidence in John Chen. John engineered a successful turnaround and has the company repositioned to apply its strengths and assets to the Enterprise of Things, an emerging category with massive potential," said Prem Watsa, Lead Director and Chair of the Compensation, Nomination and Governance Committee of the BlackBerry Board. "John's leadership is critical and the Board has determined that it is in the best of interests of BlackBerry and its shareholders to continue his service through November 2023."
    Marcus R likes this.
    03-19-18 02:21 AM
    I will give JC 7/10. He came at a critical juncture when nobody thought that BlackBerry will survive. @thurask in one of the forums rightly pointed out that nobody thought BlackBerry will survive till 2018. JC has now extended tenure till 2023. He enjoys full support of the management now.
    03-19-18 01:24 PM
    By the time the Z30 was released, the market had already decided on only having 2 OS. All people were interested in apps, so that meant that they'd buy iPhone or Android phones.

Do you have some official data to show proof that millions upon millions of people even bought the Z30?
    03-19-18 01:34 PM

Do you have some official data to show proof that millions upon millions of people even bought the Z30?
    Ooh, ooh, Mr Kotter, Mr Kotter!

Since total BB10 sales didn't even hit 10 million, and the Z30 was not nearly the most popular variant, I think the answer is somewhat obvious.
    03-19-18 01:40 PM
    I think he is a better CEO than BlackBerry deserved at the time. I don't think he is a transformational leader, but he is a good guy to put in charge when things are nearing the end.

Any other CEO likely would have rolled the dice and fought for BB10 (I would have) simply because a 10 million BB10 userbase isn't a failure - just a much smaller success than the investors wanted.

At the end of the day the investors would rather be a bottom candidate on Android than a leader in their own space. They saw app support dwindling and the OS sputtering, and had to make a decision... No one was buying the handset business off them and I'm sure the analysts they brought in told them Android was their future.

So I kind of see Chen as the CEO they really needed for the dream they wanted to happen. Not my first choice, and I'd rate him a out 3/5 - a good guy to shut off the lights on the way out. But he isn't charismatic enough to really bring the company forward into the light...

That said I'd have to see their actual android sales figures and costs. I imagine they sell less handsets but have a much smaller support and development infrastructure. Not sure if it is profitable though - their relevance on Android is quite shakey imo.
    03-19-18 01:50 PM
    I think he is a better CEO than BlackBerry deserved at the time. I don't think he is a transformational leader, but he is a good guy to put in charge when things are nearing the end.

Any other CEO likely would have rolled the dice and fought for BB10 (I would have) simply because a 10 million BB10 userbase isn't a failure - just a much smaller success than the investors wanted.

At the end of the day the investors would rather be a bottom candidate on Android than a leader in their own space. They saw app support dwindling and the OS sputtering, and had to make a decision... No one was buying the handset business off them and I'm sure the analysts they brought in told them Android was their future.

So I kind of see Chen as the CEO they really needed for the dream they wanted to happen. Not my first choice, and I'd rate him a out 3/5 - a good guy to shut off the lights on the way out. But he isn't charismatic enough to really bring the company forward into the light...

That said I'd have to see their actual android sales figures and costs. I imagine they sell less handsets but have a much smaller support and development infrastructure. Not sure if it is profitable though - their relevance on Android is quite shakey imo.
    Android was not the alternative to BB10.

It was simply another potential avenue to pursue GIVEN the demise of BB10.
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-19-18 08:10 PM
    Android was not the alternative to BB10.

It was simply another potential avenue to pursue GIVEN the demise of BB10.
    IIRC they started considering it before BB10. I remember reading that the insistence and risk of building BlackBerry 10 instead of pursuing Android was one of many reasons the original CEOs got axed. They initiated a risk on behalf of the shareholders that didn't go well.
    03-19-18 08:24 PM
    IIRC they started considering it before BB10.
    That may well be true, but that's not what we're talking about here.
    03-19-18 08:29 PM
    That may well be true, but that's not what we're talking about here.
    You replied to me, and quoted me. So yes, I think I can definitively say this is what I was talking about here

Android has always been the alternative (and to some strong investors, the only) option before the start of BB10. They just got forced into that option at the end. That said though, I think we are generally agreeing there. Not sure where your opinion varies as it was pretty brief so apologies if I'm wrong on that.
    Last edited by KermEd; 03-19-18 at 08:47 PM.
    DrBoomBotz and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-19-18 08:31 PM
    And how many BB10 devices were bought during its active lifecycle? There’s a reason why it was phased out. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good or at least solid OS; the problem, as many, many people have said on this site many times before, is that BB10 arrived way too late.

It should be noted that BB10 was released during Thorsten Heins’ nearly 2 year long tenure as BlackBerry/RIM CEO, and BB10’s initial low adoption rate occurred during his watch, not John Chen’s.
    03-27-18 09:23 AM
    As you say, your mind is made up, so discussion with you is pointless.
    You've demonstrated over and over that you don't understand what facts are.
    And you're on a long duration elliptical orbit.
    See you on the next pass.
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-27-18 06:47 PM
    Total sales of Chen's crappy Androids didn't even hit one million. LOL

You change your tune like I change my underpants ...

Chen already knew about BB10 getting axed when the Passport was released (he famously said that his only input was deciding not to axe it during a visibly halfhearted presentation before the release)

That is deceptive behaviour at best and downright lying at worst.

It's not my fault if BlackBerry is a horrible company owned, operated and supported by manipulators, bullies and liars like you :-)
    Welcome back.
    04-03-18 09:33 AM
    Hey guys you don't know.
    Chen is a man of google and iOS. He finished the #BlackBerry . He was paid very high secretly. It was simple to understand. You just wait and watch chen will leave the company soon after shutting down all hopes of #BlackBerry 10 OS.
    Google is ok with #BlackBerry android. They payed chen to force #BlackBerry to android. Because they knew that #BlackBerry OS will never let them grow.
    If you know/remember that what was happened to Nokia. Microsoft sent their man as ceo to complete wash their SymbianOS. Once Nokia closed Symbian development, and started windows os that bloody ceo switched back to microsoft. Even many videos on youtube show that with proves.
    History always repeats itself. Some people understand and some keep on believing in all that fake.

Posted via CB10
    lukeoverhere likes this.
    04-04-18 11:00 AM
    Hey guys you don't know.
    Chen is a man of google and iOS. He finished the #BlackBerry . He was paid very high secretly. It was simple to understand. You just wait and watch chen will leave the company soon after shutting down all hopes of #BlackBerry 10 OS.
    Google is ok with #BlackBerry android. They payed chen to force #BlackBerry to android. Because they knew that #BlackBerry OS will never let them grow.
    If you know/remember that what was happened to Nokia. Microsoft sent their man as ceo to complete wash their SymbianOS. Once Nokia closed Symbian development, and started windows os that bloody ceo switched back to microsoft. Even many videos on youtube show that with proves.
    History always repeats itself. Some people understand and some keep on believing in all that fake.

Posted via CB10
    Lol.
    04-04-18 11:57 AM
    Hey guys you don't know.

Posted via CB10
    Wow lol.

Chef's contract was extended.
    04-04-18 04:43 PM
    The fact BlackBerry is still around and there are BlackBerry smartphones running BlackBerry Android 7 years after the company faced imminent collapse is no small feat. I rate John Chen 8 out of 10.
    05-07-18 07:26 PM
    Nice photo
    Attached Thumbnails How would you rate John Chen?-0328phone.jpg  
    08-08-18 07:01 AM
    reading recent Xerox-Fujifilm story bring back all the bad taste of BB...Let's see what Chen will do - so far, the stock went down to 12 now... rating based on return to share holder value since his new contract signed = -30% (the blip of 18 at the time). based on his interview at BNN, didn't sound very confident to get his bonus package... (if you can still find it on youtube... let me know if you have positive feeling...).
    08-08-18 07:49 AM
    08-08-18 07:58 AM
328 ... 7891011 ...