Dropping the stink bomb that was BB10, acquiring and integrating Good and WatchDox and BES into BlackBerry Secure, developing a high-margin mobile OS licencing model, developing AtHoc and SecureSmart, licencing BBM, monetising IoT through BlackBerry Radar, further development of QNX Auto with autonomous vehicle R&D centre, returning to breakeven on cash and earnings, etc, etc. Yes, a 9.
    OMG, a rational comment on this thread. As much as I like BB10, it had to go and this simple move allowed BlackBerry to pivot towards their strengths in security and new emerging areas of mobile (IOT, automotive). One can't help but notice BB's strong positioning in the area along with Google playing footsie and Apple desperately hiring old QNX employees to breath life into their automotive efforts. Maybe the public hasn't notice but the stock market has.

As to the smartphone hardware market, it's frankly boring and there hasn't been any serious innovation in years other than bigger and slightly faster. Thus begins the race to the bottom on price and margins. Don't hold your breath for the new iPhone, either. A few extra services you have to pay for and a bucket of hype. Been there done that.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-22-17 06:19 AM
    I can't give a good rate to someone who never listen users suggestions.
    Even a simple and massive one like DARK HUB.
    Or another revolutionary decition like the release of BB10 as open source.
    No, he think only in money and he doesn't understand that the money comes latter. After you have a solid product with a good penetration in the market.
    05-30-17 06:32 AM
    Correction, I did not say underperforming staff but underperforming units.

Do you know that BlackBerry is hiring?

Long Live BB10!
    Now take into the consideration of the 940 million settlement from Qualcomm, the under performing unit appear to be the most productive unit if legal was capable of protect bb interests. Currently, the legal look like the most "performing", compare to anything else on the financial statement (earning per head, minus the salary overhead).

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 06:59 AM
    John Chen named Executive of the Year by Ascend Canada https://www.crackberry.com/john-chen...-ascend-canada

"Sponsored by TD, this award recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to their organization; delivering business results, demonstrating leadership and being at the forefront of innovation."
    I thought it is award for a specific group of ceo that with specific background according to the description outlined. He is forefront in that pack.
    http://www.ascendleadership.ca/
    Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 07:06 AM
    Android should buy BlackBerry OS and make the android OS more fluid.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 12:48 PM
    He gets a 5 but only because BlackBerry the company is still around a decade after its rapid decline began. He cannot handle a Canadian winter which says all you need to know. As a software and services company BlackBerry still acts like a bureaucratic organization short on delivery.
    06-20-17 08:27 PM
    Chen gets a 3 out of 10. Primarily for ignoring the consumer market, ignoring Enterprise and cheaping out of marketing and development support.
    Listening to shareholders is the worst thing this CEO has done. IMO

Posted via CB10
    07-11-17 05:18 AM
    Listening to shareholders is the worst thing this CEO has done.
    Sometimes I forget you're serious.
    07-11-17 08:22 AM
    Sometimes I forget you're serious.
    You miss understood my point. Shareholders only care for a return on investment. The majority though, rather see a company dissolved and sold off in pieces versus building up said company and making it profitable.
    Self interest takes over, and in the end the small investors pay the price and end up losing a lot.
    07-11-17 01:37 PM
    You miss understood my point. Shareholders only care for a return on investment. The majority though, rather see a company dissolved and sold off in pieces versus building up said company and making it profitable.
    Self interest takes over, and in the end the small investors pay the price and end up losing a lot.
    The small investors lose even more when the big shareholders aren't listened to. Both are shareholders and both usually own equal level of shares. Fairfax/Prem/Chen have saved many small investors from losing everything 100% of what they put in. Without investors, BlackBerry would have never existed to begin with.

Capitalism, like or not, is what creates the innovation through motivation.
    07-11-17 01:46 PM
    3. Chen gets a 3. What profit it a man to save a company and lose your soul? Die hard BBer. Would had loved to see the BB10/Android cross. Have the Priv but missed having a REAL Blackberry everyday. No blend, no sync, no use. Damn you JOHN CHEN!!! 3!
    07-22-17 07:41 PM
    A 3. He sold the ideals of privacy and security.
    07-23-17 03:44 PM
    I give John Chen 20/10 for being able to achieve the recovery of BlackBerry from a spiral into oblivion.

Get over BB10, as much as I love that OS it was late to market and developers didn't suppot it. Carriers didn't care and I retail stores were pushing it Samsung and iPhones..... not BB10.

To be able to achieve so much with so little deserves a 20
    07-23-17 10:26 PM
    I give John Chen 20/10 for being able to achieve the recovery of BlackBerry from a spiral into oblivion.

Get over BB10, as much as I love that OS it was late to market and developers didn't support it. Carriers didn't care and retail stores were pushing Samsung and iPhones..... not BB10.

To be able to achieve so much with so little deserves a 20

I thought it is award for a specific group of ceo that with specific background according to the description outlined. He is forefront in that pack.
    http://www.ascendleadership.ca/
    Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 10:27 PM
    Its hard to argue that Chen has not done exactly what he was specifically hired to do - soft land the device business (burn through component commitments and hardware contracts), and build up the software portfolio through internal development and strategic acquisitions.
    07-23-17 10:48 PM
    i'll give him high marks when BB is free of debt, share price in 20, revenue goes up (earning per share or cash that including legal win does not indicate a good business... revenue is the key for high tech... just look at the click vs brick... brick you need P/E). unfortunately, the BB case, the biggest share holder is also the debt holder, that may washed out all the other small shareholder's opinion (just go attend quartly meeting). BB got single dogged vision from the debt holder, as execution of that vision, chen should get mid rating, as for me, a tiny share holder, not much... I'll rate him when I see the share price going up... so far, down to the dirt. (the chap that quoted me, did you have skin in the game? did you brought BB share? when and what price? if you brought at 6.00, I am sure you will rate him 20/10....looking forward to learn from you that buy low and sell high... did you ready to sell? or already sold? or waiting for another down quarter to turn around? last one what really bad, including almost a Billion win in cash, still the revernue down...not sure what he will cut next, got hurt big time).
    07-24-17 07:42 AM
    3 out of 10.
    Good Job JC
    08-08-17 07:36 PM
    The small investors lose even more when the big shareholders aren't listened to. Both are shareholders and both usually own equal level of shares. Fairfax/Prem/Chen have saved many small investors from losing everything 100% of what they put in. Without investors, BlackBerry would have never existed to begin with.

Capitalism, like or not, is what creates the innovation through motivation.
    The big share holders rather disintegrate the company, sell it in pieces and be done with it. My point, they aren't always right. They care for there pocket and nobody else's.
    08-08-17 07:39 PM
    The big share holders rather disintegrate the company, sell it in pieces and be done with it. My point, they aren't always right. They care for there pocket and nobody else's.
    But in caring for their pocket, they protect the small pocket. As they sell the pieces, the shareholders receive the proceeds..
    08-08-17 08:00 PM
    The big share holders rather disintegrate the company, sell it in pieces and be done with it.
    [Citation needed]
    08-08-17 09:17 PM
    I think maybe the big shareholder here has an interest in the company not taking necessary risks and being a zombie company. That's because he wants his notes paid! That explains everything, doesn't it?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-17 06:16 AM
    4 out of 10. He stabilized the company for now. Eventually the company will be sold by the pieces. There is not enough growth on the horizon. Not much of a software company.
    08-11-17 08:53 PM
    There is not enough growth on the horizon. Not much of a software company.
    Wow, you must have high expectations.

"Software and services revenue in the fourth quarter was $193 million, up 25 percent from a year ago."
    08-13-17 11:18 AM
    Wow, you must have high expectations.

"Software and services revenue in the fourth quarter was $193 million, up 25 percent from a year ago."
    I take it that the market is wrong about BlackBerry. Try to be objective....at least sometimes
    08-13-17 01:28 PM
    I can't give a good rate to someone who never listen users suggestions.
    Even a simple and massive one like DARK HUB.
    Or another revolutionary decition like the release of BB10 as open source.
    No, he think only in money and he doesn't understand that the money comes latter. After you have a solid product with a good penetration in the market.
    Lol yes because John Chen is the one who decides things like dark theme for an app. You do realize he probably has no clue what the developers are even doing right?
    08-13-17 01:36 PM
328 ... 56789 ...