There is a similar thread but it appears to have devolved into debunking and l don't feel it was specified to BBOS.

I want to know how BB would become a viable (stable, sustainably popular) 3rd Way in the mobile world.

Caveat: old BBOS devices must need not get binned, there must either be legacy support or fresh updates, at least for BBOS 10 onward, if not also BBOS 7.

If it means building a Dyson Sphere then add it to the list but explain why it is needed.

Here is what l suggest:

1. Commission 100 productivity apps. Foremost being:
    - a map app like the old BBOS 6 / 7 maps app, which gives you live speedometer and direction readings,
    - ability to run Google maps no matter how Google will try to wriggle out of it with little improvements that break BB compatibility
    - a weather app that gives compass points not just degrees of a circle.
    - ability to save Remember notes as .txt files (Windows readable or at least Unix / Rich Text readable)
    - updated MS Office apps
    - updated browser with more controls over things that can be blocked e.g. block images like BB OS 6 / 7
    - updated YouTube app that can handle Google's updates which break it for BB (i.e. can no longer see viewers' comments). YouTube is important for quickly referencing instructional vids whilst in the middle of a repair job for example.
    - Ability to edit PDFs
    - VPN brands that offer proxy IPs too, not something l'd be interested in but it has its uses

2. Make it a 10 year plan. Offer all the enterprise features for a small fee to get money from people that don't even need to use these bolt-ons. The net income should increase, l'm gambling. Also have BIS as a separate small subscription. Those subscriptions will be a dependable income to power the 10 year plan.

3. Product placement - just like old days.

4. Make it clear that QNX is part of the same company and make it clear what QNX is doing and can do for big brands.

5. Plan ahead. I guess. Like, heavily publicised vulnerabilities etc. etc. Heavily publicise the fixes in return, l guess. That turns the flaw into good exposure for the company.

6. Put the CEO into space.

7. Look into merging with another big company.
    01-16-22 08:14 AM
    01-16-22 08:57 AM
    There is a similar thread but it appears to have devolved into debunking and l don't feel it was specified to BBOS.

I want to know how BB would become a viable (stable, sustainably popular) 3rd Way in the mobile world.

Caveat: old BBOS devices must need not get binned, there must either be legacy support or fresh updates, at least for BBOS 10 onward, if not also BBOS 7.

If it means building a Dyson Sphere then add it to the list but explain why it is needed.

Here is what l suggest:

- a map app like the old BBOS 6 / 7 maps app, which gives you live speedometer and direction readings,
    - ability to run Google maps no matter how Google will try to wriggle out of it with little improvements that break BB compatibility
    - ability to save Remember notes as .txt files (Windows readable or at least Unix / Rich Text readable)
    - updated MS Office apps
    - updated browser with more controls over things that can be blocked e.g. block images like BB OS 6 / 7
    - updated YouTube app that can handle Google's updates which break it for BB (i.e. can no longer see viewers' comments). YouTube is important for quickly referencing instructional vids whilst in the middle of a repair job for example.
    - Ability to edit PDFs
    - VPN brands that offer proxy IPs too, not something l'd be interested in but it has its uses

2. Make it a 10 year plan. Offer all the enterprise features for a small fee to get money from people that don't even need to use these bolt-ons. The net income should increase, l'm gambling. Also have BIS as a separate small subscription. Those subscriptions will be a dependable income to power the 10 year plan.

4. Make it clear that QNX is part of the same company and make it clear what QNX is doing and can do for big brands.

5. Plan ahead. I guess. Like, heavily publicised vulnerabilities etc. etc. Heavily publicise the fixes in return, l guess. That turns the flaw into good exposure for the company.

If you plan to supprt Google maps, you have no choice but to have a fully certified Android device.
    01-16-22 09:15 AM
    Doing most of these things got BlackBerry into the position it currently occupies. None of this will work, and none of it has the remotest chance of happening.
    JeepBB and John Albert like this.
    01-16-22 09:17 AM
    There used to be a BlackBerry OS 6 / 7 version of Google Maps, and there's a Google Maps app on the BB World store. But l guess it's all via express permission of Google? I was wondering if there could be a skin that makes it work for the BB OS, hence no copyright infringement nor permission required?
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 09:21 AM
    I think key to all of this is: find a very rich person to sponsor the entire programme for its 10-year run, someone that knows they may well lose their money but wants to do it as a punt, a challenge, not because it is easy but because it is hard.
    to boldly go likes this.
    01-16-22 09:24 AM
    I think key to all of this is: find a very rich person to sponsor the entire programme for its 10-year run, someone that knows they may well lose their money but wants to do it as a punt, a challenge, not because it is easy but because it is hard.
    I think the key phrase is "lose their money"
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-16-22 09:25 AM
    I think the key phrase is "lose their money"
    I accept that you are a very important person with top level clearance. No need to augment with scoffing.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 09:28 AM
    I accept that you are a very important person with top level clearance. No need to augment with scoffing.
    Now you're just speculating. I stand by my comment, tho.
    BB11isNext likes this.
    01-16-22 09:40 AM
    So a person with even more cash than Bill Gates and less brains than Jethro Clampett ever.
    01-16-22 09:42 AM
    Starting at about 1/10th of Bill Gates' worth would do.

I have no idea who Jethro is but l suspect he doesn't lounge around forums and l suspect you missed that this is meant to be an exercise in reviving a business, and thus something to inspire people.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 09:52 AM

I have no idea who Jethro is but l suspect he doesn't lounge around forums and l suspect you missed that this is meant to be an exercise in reviving a business, and thus something to inspire people.
    Which is about what Microsoft lost as corporate entity on mobile OS before exiting the segment and embracing Android for smartphones.

Follow the money and the operating environment in real life and not in a hypothetical vacuum.
    01-16-22 09:59 AM
    Then there's no concept of a moon shot, which literally involved escaping the real life environment and entering a hypothetical vacuum.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 10:02 AM
    By the way, MS OS was possibly brand fatigued by the time it made it onto phones. The average person was subject to much malware on the desktop, and antiviruses catching most of it still didn't really inspire confidence in having that OS on something so personal as a mobile phone with the contact details of loved ones and other personal stuff - even though for most people it's still absolutely fine for desktop.

MS OS can be secure enough for civil service and business use no problem but l guess common folk didn't like the OS in the context of a phone. So it's wrong to say 3rd Way is wrong, and $10 billion is wrong when what went wrong was more qualitative.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 10:11 AM
    I'd be interested to know how Apple succeeded in desktop + phones, whereas MS could only succeed in desktops, networking etc. They seem as secure as each other, and l get the impression Apple is less value for money, though l know musicians like it because it can natively do something that requires a soundcard on a normal pc, l forget what. And it's got less background hum? But that's just music.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 10:17 AM
    Wow!

And I thought that folk wanting to bring back BB10 were delusional.
    01-16-22 11:46 AM
    You don't offer any arguments, only insults, which you spread like a malignancy. This is bad quality. By the sounds of it, you'll never be happy with a subforum dedicated to personal opinions on how to steer BlackBerry.
    italia2014 and boogywstew like this.
    01-16-22 12:11 PM

Here is what l suggest:

- updated MS Office apps
    - Ability to edit PDFs

Time for an online petition...............NOOOOOOOOOO
    Attached Thumbnails How BB Can Win Again With BBOS-doh.jpg  
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-16-22 12:21 PM
    This is clearly based on the paradigm of an armchair CEO and not a petition for change. D'oh.
    boogywstew likes this.
    01-16-22 12:35 PM
    This is clearly based on the paradigm of an armchair CEO and not a petition for change. D'oh.
    Funnily, you couldn't be more than wrong. However, remind yourself that Jobs, Gates, Bezos, Musk and others didn't achieve the wealth unable to recognize the opportunities you feel exist. Ironically, Gates and others all passed on the opportunity to purchase BlackBerry Limited for pennies on the dollar.…
    01-16-22 01:02 PM
    You don't offer any arguments, only insults, which you spread like a malignancy. This is bad quality. By the sounds of it, you'll never be happy with a subforum dedicated to personal opinions on how to steer BlackBerry.
    BB10 is dead.

BBOS is beyond dead.

BB abandoned the phone game years ago.

Those are facts.

I wish you luck in finding a backer for your BBOS resurrection plan who is both richer than Bill Gates, and is also a moron.
    John Albert and 3800 like this.
    01-16-22 01:09 PM
    not scoffing, don't miss the humor in truth here, you're gonna find it everywhere.
    01-16-22 02:09 PM

Beverly hillbillies accidental millionnaire, or billionaire, or whatever.
    01-16-22 02:11 PM

Here is what l suggest:

- updated MS Office apps
    - Ability to edit PDFs

Belfastdispacher? Is that you?
    cgk, JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    01-16-22 06:01 PM
    If you plan to supprt Google maps, you have no choice but to have a fully certified Android device.
    iOS can run Google Maps, too.
    3800 likes this.
    01-16-22 11:31 PM
37 12