As of 31st March 2013, BlackBerry infrastructure handled 30 PB of data traffic per month across 70 million subscribers.

But BIS data plans offer internet download speed of 2.5G (Edge) cadre only. Should BlackBerry launch own 3G & 4G data plans competing with carriers ?
    09-30-13 09:16 AM
    Simply, no. I can't imagine the cost of doing so.
    09-30-13 09:19 AM
    Not sure I follow you. The 9900 I had before was an HSPA + device.
    09-30-13 09:26 AM
    And my blackberry Q5 runs LTE. So what good would it do runing a bis network for unsupported phones? When it's new devices do not need bis.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 09:43 AM
    Being that BlackBerry is doing away with BIS.... not sure why any investment into it would matter.

OP you do understand that BlackBerry only has computer networks, they don't own towers and cellular equipment. The cost to attempt to provide their own 4G would be Billions and Billions of dollars. Back in 2008 I had Alltel Wireless service, they had like 800,000 customers in only 34 states. Verizon came in and purchased 80% of the company for $28 Billion. I bet in today's world that same market penetration would be double that.
    09-30-13 02:23 PM
    I am not so sure about the 2.5g speeds.....it depends on the carrier.... the amount of data pushed around through the NOC has been massive and with BBM staying there it will not change dramatically.

Just imagine how much traffic it would have been uncompressed and why all the developing countries love it..... The move from BIS to "ordinary" is a massive strain for the networks... carriers and broadband providers....

BlackBerry had their own infrastructure which was and still is helping to shift the data around....

This is the very reason we have LTE with faster speeds than most home broadband and suffer from miniscule Traffic allowance.

3 (Three) is the only provider in the UK who offers unlimited data because their network is under utilised by being the smallest carrier with their own infrastructure here....

Vodafone has been offering it years ago and after 5 months I had ridiculously slow speeds... hence they capped it again.

It would cost BB a lot of money to upgrade their backbones and infrastructure to offer more. It was a good move by them to go with the flow...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 02:37 PM
    If BIS was 4G that would be great but I feel carriers are already charging so much for data that people won't want to pay extra for a BlackBerry plan. Even though it would compress data.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 07:44 AM
    Regardless, I hope they are doing massive upgrades to the no. With their idea of your Internet of things, the pay wave and pay pass deals they grabbed, BBM money, and the push advertising and friend hookup they've been hinting at. The data will increase dramatically.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:17 PM
    I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I'd guess that a large fraction of the traffic today is streaming audio or video. Those use a lot of data and are already compressed, so BIS wouldn't be any advantage for that. All you could do is transcode it which would be almost impossible on-the-fly, and most sites let the user choose a quality level anyway so they can manage this on their own.
    10-01-13 09:55 PM