I'd be impressed if Blackberry released a washing machine.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 08:21 AM
    I think I figured out BlackBerrys process for how they determine what their next device will be:

Step 1: write down random features on individual cue cards

Step 2: take cue cards and tape them to a wall

Step 4: gather a team of 4-5 people who will be known as your R&D department

Step 5: give said R&D department a handful of darts

Step 6: each member of the R&D department takes turns throwing a dart at the wall, trying to hit a cue card with a feature written on it

Step 7: take all the cue cards you hit with a dart, put them together and bam, you have the specs of the new BlackBerry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-09-16 08:44 AM
    There is no objective measurement of efficiency that most everyone agrees on. For example, not having one or two critical work-related apps available on BB10, is pretty much 0% efficient in my book. As for using the OS I have no problems using BB10, Android or iOS. The differences in use are very marginal with the same end results, other than when it comes to apps selection.

No one really multitasks like they can on a PC on a smartphone, though I am sure there are some folks who are very crafty with it. So multitasking aspects are marginal to me. PCs and Macs are better tools for stuff like that.

I will grant you that I think BB10 has the best virtual keyboard. And of course the only physical one. But SwiftKey is for me, 90% as good, which is good enough. Again there are gestures in Android as well. Just different ones, with the same results. No Hub with peek though which I will grant is great on BB10.

I will add that Android is a massive-user-base OS with big changes version to version from Google and on a non stop yearly schedule. All over the world legions of folks are pouring resources into things that rely on Android underneath (and iOS). BB10 is a niche OS with one relatively tiny company struggling to make it relevant at all at this point. With vague statements and no big changes or improvements, or growth in sight for the OS, ever.
    You make excellent points. Without seeing the financials it really is impossible to see the big picture. Is there anyway they can lay the best parts of BB10 on top of android - or partner with google to put a legitimate play store on qnx?

I type faster on swiftkey than on a pkb and the accuracy is almost always there. I still struggle with android, though I'm noticing some apps are picking up certain elements of the upgraded keyboard.
    04-09-16 04:59 PM
    I think I figured out BlackBerrys process for how they determine what their next device will be:

Step 1: write down random features on individual cue cards

Step 2: take cue cards and tape them to a wall

Step 4: gather a team of 4-5 people who will be known as your R&D department

Step 5: give said R&D department a handful of darts

Step 6: each member of the R&D department takes turns throwing a dart at the wall, trying to hit a cue card with a feature written on it

Step 7: take all the cue cards you hit with a dart, put them together and bam, you have the specs of the new BlackBerry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I don't think so. I think that Chen is like Hitler in the bunker at the end of WWII. He makes all the decisions even if he doesn't have all the information or expertise he needs.

All of the devices designed under his watch probably were Chen and a couple of his advisers making snap decisions about what would sell and in what markets.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-09-16 06:02 PM
    OP be careful what you wish for.
    04-09-16 11:28 PM
    You make excellent points. Without seeing the financials it really is impossible to see the big picture. Is there anyway they can lay the best parts of BB10 on top of android - or partner with google to put a legitimate play store on qnx?
    We can see the financials since they are a public company. Or do you mean something more specific?

They've tried to bring the BB10 elements to Android on the Priv. But the hub as it exists on BB10 is not possible due to limits on how much control BlackBerry has over the Android OS. The VKB appears to have come over fairly well though I have not used, but have only seen it on Android.
    04-10-16 09:04 AM
    Of course, I made up those percentages! Do you think I dug them out of BBRY's quarterly earnings report? Maybe it really is 5%-60%. Who cares? The point is that they never had a chance without investing more in fixing their brand image and letting people know that they could buy these unique and very distinctive smartphones.
    You're assuming more marketing would have some reasonable chance (yes exact % is not that important) of making a failed product into a successful one. I don't see marketing that way. I see product success is:

1) Build a good product that serves a wholly or partially unmet need.
    2) Market it to bolster the demand that's already there (the aforementioned need).

BlackBerry failed to do "1", therefore doing "2" is not logical. The market keeps saying it does not like BlackBerry's phone products at every turn, and they (BB) are listening and NOT blowing the ad dollars in vain.

But inside BlackBerry none of the design and engineering folks are listening well enough apparently. Or more likely is that they are realizing they can't build a compelling phone for the mass market, and that there is simply nothing they can do about it.
    Elephant_Canyon and web99 like this.
    04-10-16 09:11 AM
    The margins on software are not sustainable.

You can't just keep buying companies and taking one time credit for it... like Chairman Chen had tried to spin in the last few ERs.

Investors are catching on that his software fantasy is just that... and not sustainable.
    Yes -- possibly not. The SAF (service access fees on BIS) is what built the company as I understand it. And those aren't coming back. It was a unique situation where they had high margins and volume.

I think what they are trying to do now is basically make the most of Good. Move everyone to it long term and have it replace BES as the "gold standard" of MDM. Push Android and dump BB10 and standalone BES in the longer term is my guess. But how big is that market? All Microsoft has to do is roll MDM for Android and iOS into its cloud services for free (with an Office 365 sub) to squash BB.
    04-10-16 09:23 AM
    You're assuming more marketing would have some reasonable chance (yes exact % is not that important) of making a failed product into a successful one. I don't see marketing that way. I see product success is:

1) Build a good product that serves a wholly or partially unmet need.
    2) Market it to bolster the demand that's already there (the aforementioned need).

BlackBerry failed to do "1", therefore doing "2" is not logical. The market keeps saying it does not like BlackBerry's phone products at every turn, and they (BB) are listening and NOT blowing the ad dollars in vain.

But inside BlackBerry none of the design and engineering folks are listening well enough apparently. Or more likely is that they are realizing they can't build a compelling phone for the mass market, and that there is simply nothing they can do about it.
    Even a very good movie that receives no marketing will fail. You can't just start playing it in a theater and expect people to start seeing it. Word of mouth can't even start to work without some marketing.

Also, it's your opinion that they did not achieve "1." Many of us here still use BB10, use BB10 devices, think it is the best OS ever made and believe that BB did achieve "1."

It is a presumption without any basis to say that marketing would never have worked because we don't know. BB10 might not have been the standard OS, but it could have succeeded if people knew about it. Apple survived in the desktop market at under 5% for many years.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-11-16 03:20 AM
    Even a very good movie that receives no marketing will fail. You can't just start playing it in a theater and expect people to start seeing it. Word of mouth can't even start to work without some marketing.

Also, it's your opinion that they did not achieve "1." Many of us here still use BB10, use BB10 devices, think it is the best OS ever made and believe that BB did achieve "1."

It is a presumption without any basis to say that marketing would never have worked because we don't know. BB10 might not have been the standard OS, but it could have succeeded if people knew about it. Apple survived in the desktop market at under 5% for many years.
    BlackBerry does not have "no marketing". The Priv had a huge POS display at AT&T stores. The reviews have mostly been good and even some great. Read the glowing Android Central review. Heck they even still name it as one of the top Android phones you can get. And it has failed. So there you go, plenty of awareness relatively speaking, good reviews, and it has sold poorly. Just how much marketing do they need to do? The brand is damaged and people mostly don't like BlackBerry branded phones for various reasons.

CrackBerry frequenters who still use BlackBerry 10 can not be said to be a reasonable and objective sample of what the general phone-buying public's opinions are on smartphones. By definition their (our) opinion is not mainstream.
    04-11-16 02:32 PM
    That's not entirely true. There's a huge demand for a Z10 / Z30 replacement. The Millions upon Millions that purchased the Z10 & Z30 were left without an upgrade option, and they've been complaining for years now.

If BlackBerry announced an All Touch BB10 High End device, and did proper Marketing, it would sell very well. A lot better than Priv Sales. I would estimate 10x better sales, if not more. There's approv: 8-10 Million Z10/Z30 owners. Even if they gained 50% to 75% of those owners with a new Z50 or Z70 for example, that would be good for the Company.
    But BlackBerry's recipe in Hardware is Terrible. Over Priced, Niche Phones, No Marketing etc., yet they expect to sell phones. And when they do not sell, they blame the platform, but not their own negligence as stated above. lol
    My dad wantZ a new one... ;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-12-16 03:07 PM
86 ... 234