Blackberries used to be popular in part because of the free messaging and data compressing.

Pretty much everybody these days get unlimited messages, and there's a host of free, good options like iMessage and Whatsapp. At the same time BB10 has kind of eliminated the advantages of data compressing.

While the Z10 has largely cought up to Android and iOS, it doesn't offer anything compelling enough to switch. All phones are "good enough" these days.

So... Without any advantage over their competitors, BBRY can't sell enough phones. How to solve this?

Offer a very competitive data plan! Something like 1GB or 5GB data for free, every month with a BBRY phone, or a special unlimited talk/messaging/5GB data for 49.95 a month.
    It would be the equivalent of the free messaging/compressed data that BBRY used to offer its users.

Keep in mind, that when the iPhone first launches, one of their advantages was, that they offered a special iPhone talk/msg/unlimited data plan for 50 dollars a month.

Obviously, the carriers would have to go along with it. But by starting it out with one carrier first: Sprint or TMobile would be likely to go along, i could def. see this happening. And BBRY have some of the network and data center infrastructure in place from their Blackberry-email service, to make it a reality.

What do you guys think?
    Chicago777Guy likes this.
    08-23-13 03:53 PM
    Made a slight change to the appropriate forum, not a negative move, just keeping things of a similar nature together. Thanks for posting!
    08-23-13 04:09 PM
    I think you are underestimating the role carriers would have to play in this scheme. Since pretty much everything now goes through them instead of RIM's NOCs, they would have to get on board with putting extra strain on their networks for one entity (BB.) Would they be willing to do this again, given the burdensome contracts everyone but TMO is rumored to have been forced into by Apple? And keep in mind, when the iPhone launched, text messaging was still a big cash cow for the carriers that data relatively wasn't. Now, it's all about data, so you'd be asking them to bite the bullet on a big money earner.

And finally, assuming the carriers even agree to this--TINSTAAFL. So would RIM be able to afford these subsidizations?
    08-23-13 04:14 PM
    It's a great idea If they can pull it off.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 04:17 PM
    Here's how to sell BlackBerrys in the US!
    Offer a very competitive data plan! Something like 1GB or 5GB data for free, every month with a BBRY phone, or a special unlimited talk/messaging/5GB data for 49.95 a month.
    It would be the equivalent of the free messaging/compressed data that BBRY used to offer its users.
    Easier solution. Slap a Samsung label on it.
    Eric Ton likes this.
    08-23-13 04:35 PM
    BB would have to PAY the carriers in order to do this, and it would cost them FAR FAR more than the profits they got from the phones. You'd be amazed at how fast this would burn through BB's cash.
    08-23-13 04:44 PM
    I think some of you guys overprice data vastly, and what such a scheme would cost BBRY.

1 or even 5 GB of data for a carrier costs close to nothing. Once the pipes have been set up, it costs a carrier close to nothing to send it through.

Now I know you pay obscene amounts of money for data plans in the US. In Scandinavia, 5GB of data, unlimited messaging and 3 hours of talk time costs about 20 dollars. Prices are similar or lower in many other countries.

And keep in mind, that BBRY would have their own pipes to contribute too.

So I think it's something they could pull off, without paying too much for it. At least 1GB free. In return, the carrier would attract more customers, not have to deal with as much churn, and possibly pay less for the phone than a competing carrier would have to pay, in order to attract a customer.
    08-23-13 06:36 PM
    How much data should cost is irrelevant, because unless the market forces them to adjust, carriers will look to make the most profit. That's just business 101, and Ferengi Rule of Acquisition#2. And keep in mind now that since BB10 relies almost entirely on carrier data networks (like every other platform,) RIM will have to pay whatever the carriers want it to, if RIM is to set up a "subsidy" program like this. And they simply do not have the cash for it.

Take, for example, T-Mobile in the USA. Their cheapest individual plan is $50 per month. The next one up, which offers 2GB more of data, is $60. So say RIM were to pick up at least this $10 difference. That would $120 per year per customer. If they try to get a million customers, that $120 million for one year of subsidizing, on just one (cheapest) Big Four carrier.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-23-13 09:05 PM
    That's consumer prices. That has nothing to do with how much the actual cost to the carrier is (it's in the cents range) or how much BBRY would be paying T-Mobile.

Considering T-Mobiles current position, and the advantages it would give them, a price of a tenth of that isn't unrealistic. Especially if you hold it up against the prices that carriers pay today for retaining a customer. That's twelve dollars a year, or 24 dollars for a two year contract. It's peanuts for BBRY.
    08-23-13 09:19 PM
    Cant remember if its telus or rogers, but one of them has a promotion, buy a new Samsung(think its Samsung), double your data for free.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 09:21 PM
    That's consumer prices. That has nothing to do with how much the actual cost to the carrier is (it's in the cents range) or how much BBRY would be paying T-Mobile.
    But you're missing the point: T-Mobile wants FULL VALUE for it's data. It wants to make a profit, not to sell its services at cost. Who goes into business to sell anything at cost?

Why would T-Mobile agree to this, when, if they don't, they just end up getting full price for their data anyway (from the customer)?

Essentially, you are asking the carriers to finance a subsidy for BB users. That's laughable. Plus, I'd bet that all the carriers have agreements with their other, bigger (and thus more important) customers (Apple, Google/Samsung/Moto, Microsoft/Nokia) that the carrier cannot discount service to its competitors. That kind of thing is standard boilerplate for carrier contracts with manufacturers.
    raino and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-23-13 10:47 PM
    This idea is being implemented in Indonesia. You pay monthly and it includes the cost of the phone and data; talk time minutes is separate. This is the plan...for approximately $60/month you get with a 1 year contract: "free" z10 (no upfront costs) and 6 GB of data plus 100 sms. Pretty pricey in my opinion.

I think the number one thing that Blackberry should do is make their phones cheap! Sell it like hotcakes first and take minimal profit. I think they can do it since they're sitting on a little bit of cash. Number one form of marketing is word of mouth. People still do not know that BB10 is completely different than legacy Blackberry devices.
    phuoc likes this.
    08-24-13 12:27 AM
    The devices are too expensive with the current app situation and the hardware they are using. Z10 should have been $400 off contract from the start in the US. They are trying to make too much per device and they are not selling. Windows Phone is starting to get traction because they are pricing it lower. BlackBerry's future is not in Hardware, it is in Software and they need to drive adoption over profits to grow the BB10 base.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 07:06 AM
    But you're missing the point: T-Mobile wants FULL VALUE for it's data. It wants to make a profit, not to sell its services at cost. Who goes into business to sell anything at cost?
    This, exactly.
    08-24-13 12:36 PM
    The only way to sell blackberrys in the US is to do what Apple has been doing all along; stupidify them.

The only reason why things sell in the US is cause 90% are mentally capable of using them.

douevenCB10?
    08-24-13 01:48 PM
    The only way to sell blackberrys in the US is to do what Apple has been doing all along; stupidify them.

The only reason why things sell in the US is cause 90% are mentally capable of using them.

douevenCB10?
    Yes and what views do you have of other people?
    08-24-13 01:52 PM
    Yes and what views do you have of other people?
    I'm just saying, from the "Retina Display" to the fake "multitasking" iOS got. I'm not insulting, I'm putting down plain facts.

Simplifying is innovation, idk how you can't see that.

douevenCB10?
    08-24-13 02:05 PM
    I'm just saying, from the "Retina Display" to the fake "multitasking" iOS got. I'm not insulting, I'm putting down plain facts.

Simplifying is innovation, idk how you can't see that.

douevenCB10?
    I would argue that BB10's multitasking is much simpler.
    08-25-13 12:41 AM
    I would argue that BB10's multitasking is much simpler.
    Yet thousands in this board have told stories of how people skipped the tutorials at the start up and can't get the hang of it.

iOS got this spot on. Even your grandma can use an iPad, no need for complications!

douevenCB10?
    08-25-13 01:04 AM