I understand. The additional information has clarified this particular person's position on the issue.

My last post is more general in nature as the conversation had evolved away from this specific anecdote. Cheers!
    No worries, I always enjoy your input....and tec help. At least you can see there is always more than just a story or its never just black and white.

Woof!
    conite likes this.
    03-01-16 07:43 PM
    OK so is the handset division dead. Lol
    03-01-16 07:44 PM
    Why would you trust the word of an anonymous blogger over the word of the CEO of a public company. The CEO is accountable to shareholders, the board, lenders, and the SEC just for a start.

Posted via CB10
    I think there's plenty of proof of what the company has done/said, along with the loss of customers. Between the two we can paint a pretty good picture, but of course it is all speculation.
    03-01-16 07:44 PM
    What's despicable is trying to sell your client a product you know is not in their best interest.
    It depends. From all appearances he was a BlackBerry sales representative. If that is the case, he should quit rather than not try to sell a product he is contracted to sell.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    03-01-16 07:48 PM
    Why would you trust the word of an anonymous blogger over the word of the CEO of a public company. The CEO is accountable to shareholders, the board, lenders, and the SEC just for a start.

Posted via CB10
    What I always enjoy is the true believers........This CEO has lied in public about many things......as well as staff. So to try to connect to the companies SEC filings is just pure stupidity. The new management has more than once not told the truth or by not telling a lie....with a half truth is just as bad. The market has responded to the tablet fiasco and others.....all self inflicted wounds........My father would say " it is better to know you are a fool than open your mouth and prove the point"!

Woof
    03-01-16 07:51 PM
    What I always enjoy is the true believers........This CEO has lied in public about many things......as well as staff. So to try to connect to the companies SEC filings is just pure stupidity. The new management has more than once not told the truth or by not telling a lie....with a half truth is just as bad. The market has responded to the tablet fiasco and others.....all self inflicted wounds........My father would say " it is better to know you are a fool than open your mouth and prove the point"!

Woof
    Not a true believer at all. I just do not take what posters say are facts as facts.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 07:57 PM
    Not a true believer at all. I just do not take what posters say are facts as facts.

I just bring the news, who choose to believe or even think is there own concern. I was asked how it went with our company upgrade, so I responded.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 08:01 PM
    So Conite, you are saying that saleman should quit. I disagree. You are basically saying the saleman should be lying to sell a product that will be EOL eventually. Not right. Don't tell me contract either. OS 10 not being optimizee, how is it supposed to work well. I wouldn't want to buy 800 units and being told OS 10 Is done a month later.
    03-01-16 09:20 PM
    Oh oh it's not over yet. Lmao
    03-01-16 09:25 PM
    I heard from 2 independent sources yesterday, that the handset division is dead come April. I know no one believes the "I know someone who knows someone" stories, so I'm not going to be insulted when you all call me a liar, but the way things are going lately, I think they are right.

Posted via CB10
    To get back to the first post, my speculation (no facts ) is that BlackBerry will announce on April 1 that there will not be any new BB10 devices .

I suspect that they will say that the PRIV is still being rolled out and they are planning to release another Android device later this year. If I was cynical, I would suggest that any new device would be released before the end of the next quarter to buoy the spirit of investors for the following quarter.

I guess we will find out on April 1.
    03-01-16 10:50 PM
    He should have sold you the Priv. So that his company makes money and you'd be happy also .

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-02-16 12:02 AM
    To get back to the first post, my speculation (no facts ) is that BlackBerry will announce on April 1 that there will not be any new BB10 devices .

I suspect that they will say that the PRIV is still being rolled out and they are planning to release another Android device later this year. If I was cynical, I would suggest that any new device would be released before the end of the next quarter to buoy the spirit of investors for the following quarter.

I guess we will find out on April 1.
    My opinion is that your first paragraph won't happen. There is no reason for BB to formally kill BB10 while people are still buying them (admittedly in smaller numbers each quarter). Few would buy an "officially dead" product, and Chen wants the revenue from as many people who can believe that BB10 still has a chance of survival... or even resurrection in 2017!

As to your second para. Chen will certainly say the Priv is rolling out well, and I agree that he'll say that another Android phone is planned for later in the year. I doubt he'll nail it to a specific date though, and I don't believe you'll see anything by as soon as next quarter. Is the Vienna even in FCC testing yet?

What I think might also happen is that the "announcement of the Marshmallow announcement" announcement will happen - sort of - it'll be stated as coming soon, or later this year.

Short of the Priv selling 2M units in the results, I doubt there will be any real clarity in the results. Sales of x00,000 may show the Priv to have stabilised the plummet, and buy Chen another quarter for the Priv to prove it can sell big (as it needs to in order to meet Chen's publicly stated targets)... but the debate on Hardware ending can continue for years here on CB as I believe there'll be nothing to "prove it" either way.

I'm looking forward to 1st April too... but I'm sure the debate on what the figures actually mean will continue long after that date!
    03-02-16 01:43 AM
    As speaking about BlackBerry, Check Out the News Update:
    The stock rose as much as 17 percent after the company announced the five-year partnership with Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Co Ltd, which will initially build low-end devices for sale in Indonesia and other emerging markets. BlackBerry said it hoped to expand the fledgling relationship to its top-of-the-line smartphones. The deal is unconventional in that BlackBerry will no longer pay upfront for components used in the devices made on its behalf in Foxconn's Indonesian and Mexican factories. Instead, Foxconn will take a share of profit on each device in return for taking on inventory management, which can result in write downs if smartphones go unsold. Foxconn will also help with developing, designing and distributing the handsets. Everybody says that BlackBerry Manufacturing & Sales have been shut down, I don�t thank so.

~M.R
    03-02-16 09:06 AM
    The stock rose as much as 17 percent after the company announced the five-year partnership with Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Co Ltd, which will initially build low-end devices for sale in Indonesia and other emerging markets. BlackBerry said it hoped to expand the fledgling relationship to its top-of-the-line smartphones. The deal is unconventional in that BlackBerry will no longer pay upfront for components used in the devices made on its behalf in Foxconn's Indonesian and Mexican factories. Instead, Foxconn will take a share of profit on each device in return for taking on inventory management, which can result in write downs if smartphones go unsold. Foxconn will also help with developing, designing and distributing the handsets. Everybody says that BlackBerry Manufacturing & Sales have been shut down, I don�t thank so.

~M.R
    This is from December 2013.

Foxconn is no longer building new BlackBerry devices (last one was the Classic, which is either out of production, or nearing the end). Wistron is building the Priv (and they built the Passport too).

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make.
    Last edited by conite; 03-02-16 at 09:59 AM.
    DrBoomBotz and GadgetTravel like this.
    03-02-16 09:39 AM

~M.R
    Why you always late to the party? Just like you said BlackBerry can run android apps ? It's been there since 10.2.1
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-02-16 10:00 AM
    It depends. From all appearances he was a BlackBerry sales representative. If that is the case, he should quit rather than not try to sell a product he is contracted to sell.
    As a BlackBerry sales rep, his job is to sell all things BB now sells, not just handsets, right?

Enterprise sales is heavily relationship based. Imagine he sells a bunch of Passports and then two months later BB10 is declared EOL? His customer isn't going to be happy. Now what happens after that when it's time to sell the same customer a bunch of Good licenses? Now the salesperson is at a major disadvantage compared to the MobileIron salesperson because he's lost trust.

These guys are not paid to sell used cars. They are paid to sell enterprise tools, and in this case what BB sales reps are really paid to sell is things like Good, etc. That is the future of their company.
    howarmat and JeepBB like this.
    03-02-16 10:16 AM
    I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, and I suspect 2016 will be the year they put the final nail in the coffin. We've seen a depressingly small uptake on the Priv. There was barely a whisper about handsets at MWC. Advertising seems to have dropped off.

BB10 is in maintenance mode and things aren't great on the Android front either. They're dragging their legs on a Marshmallow update - HTC, LG and even Samsung have beaten BlackBerry to the update for their Lollipop flagships, while Sony will be rolling it out in March. In order to coincide with a monthly security update, we likely won't be seeing Marshmallow till April at the earliest - unless BlackBerry surprises us next week, but given the past, I wouldn't bet money on it.

And the Vienna was rumoured to hit the market around March/April, but we've seen absolutely nothing about it since the initial leak. It'll have to hit carrier testing in the coming weeks at the latest to meet that timeline. The silence, however, seems to suggest that it's been scrapped.

This is the kind of industry where you never say never, mind you, but part of me is definitely preparing for a world where BlackBerry won't be making phones anymore - for better or for worse.
    My S6 still hasn't been updated and I haven't received a date on when it will be.
    03-02-16 11:14 AM
    FWIW : Outfitting Your Mobile Employees? Shop Smarter with BlackBerry�s New Direct Sales Program | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2016/0...sales-program/

http://el.blackberry.com/LP=725
    03-02-16 11:27 AM
    This is from December 2013.

Foxconn is no longer building new BlackBerry devices (last one was the Classic, which is either out of production, or nearing the end). Wistron is building the Priv (and they built the Passport too).

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make.
    Yes very late post BUT I do think it would be great for BlackBerry to partner with another experienced and capable manufacturer to make Android devices including an all touch. BlackBerry needs to stem the handset losses and they are far too slow in developing their own hardware.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 11:29 AM
    Yes very late post BUT I do think it would be great for BlackBerry to partner with another experienced and capable manufacturer to make Android devices including an all touch. BlackBerry needs to stem the handset losses and they are far too slow in developing their own hardware.

Posted via CB10
    So what's the problem @ Wistron then? Obviously Foxconn got replaced. Seems they're doing just what you describe and they're ahead of where you thought company was in the process. You're suggesting a company they've already hired and fired and they've already moved on to next one. Please keep up if you're going to criticize.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 01:54 PM
    They have used Wistron and Jabil in the past. The problem may not be in the manufacturing but rather in the design and development of hardware. BlackBerry took how long to develop the PRIV and it still is in a beta mode. Did BlackBerry fire Foxconn ? I was not aware of that. Perhaps Foxconn left the partnership.

Now that BlackBerry has gone Android, there is an opportunity to share the costs of development. This would be a way for BlackBerry to devote more time and energy on the software side . Even Google does not design their own phones (or so I understand).

I am not criticizing but rather suggesting an alternative. Here is another point . Has the PRIV met users expectations for handset quality of manufacture ? In November was the PRIV market ready? Is the build quality commensurate with price ?

So I am not suggesting Foxconn over Wistron but rather a partnership with some others to get better devices to the market faster.

Edit: Perhaps thatguyusa was the tipping point for:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-lau...administrators

BlackBerry launches new direct device sales program for business owners and IT administrators
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-02-16 at 05:32 PM.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    03-02-16 03:09 PM
    April 1st is the Earnings Report, where BB will publish (among other things) the device sales for the previous quarter - including the first full quarter of Priv sales.

So, April *would* be fitting time for BB to decide the future of Hardware.

Ahhhh BlackBerry telling the truth....Thats living in hope and dying in despair....WOOF!
    03-02-16 07:43 PM
    They have used Wistron and Jabil in the past. The problem may not be in the manufacturing but rather in the design and development of hardware. BlackBerry took how long to develop the PRIV and it still is in a beta mode. Did BlackBerry fire Foxconn ? I was not aware of that. Perhaps Foxconn left the partnership.

Now that BlackBerry has gone Android, there is an opportunity to share the costs of development. This would be a way for BlackBerry to devote more time and energy on the software side . Even Google does not design their own phones (or so I understand).

I am not criticizing but rather suggesting an alternative. Here is another point . Has the PRIV met users expectations for handset quality of manufacture ? In November was the PRIV market ready? Is the build quality commensurate with price ?

So I am not suggesting Foxconn over Wistron but rather a partnership with some others to get better devices to the market faster.

Edit: Perhaps thatguyusa was the tipping point for:

BlackBerry launches new direct device sales program for business owners and IT administrators | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry launches new direct device sales program for business owners and IT administrators
    Could be....but I think the BS is catching up with them in the Corporate world were it hurts and costs the most.

WOOF
    03-02-16 07:46 PM
    Don't worry about Apple's profit margin. It will soon tank.
    This site is a goldmine of failed predictions.
    ddp_in and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-11-23 03:13 PM
    This site is a goldmine of failed predictions.
    LOL and failed product launches. Onward Mobility, SES Mobile Accessories, Android on Passport, we've seen them all
    Laura Knotek and ddp_in like this.
    06-11-23 08:50 PM
227 ... 78910