So, from my experience, it seems that less than 1 out of 30 people I talk to even know that BB10 is a thing. They either believe BB is still using the old OS7 or that they are out of business. And I think even if they run commercials people are so biased already against them that the moment they see the BB name they will probably ignore the rest of the commercial and will never even notice all of the great features of BB10. Here's my idea for how to get the word out at least.

Go to many big cities through-out the United States. Take something like a Z30 and remove the BB logo and name from the phone. Then do a custom BB10 where the Hub says "Android Hub" and remove or hide the BBM and BBW icons. Then basically have a booth out on a busy sidewalk asking for people to try out the new experimental Android interface. Have people try the phone out, show them the gestures, show them peek, show them the hub, etc. Personally the keyboard shortcuts are the best things about BB10, but having a pkb will immediately give it away that it's a BB. So they can show off the BB vkb instead and show them the flicking words, etc. Small features like holding the volume keys to skip songs and the full customization of contact notifications should be shown off as well.

Basically film their reactions and see what people think when they think it's one of the "cool" OS's. And show these reactions on tv and through social media.

I honestly think that will work because everyone who I've shown the features to seemed impressed, the only thing keeping them from converting is the app selection. But there are enough people out there who don't care much about apps who would be willing to switch to BB10 if they knew about it and its features that maybe it could help their position enough to where their app situation would improve.

Anyway, just an idea I had bouncing around in my empty head.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-25-15 07:42 AM
    Kind of like the Pepsi challenge except when you taste a soft drink then you've pretty much evaluated most of what a soft drink is preferred for - taste. Plus, people may stop to try a soft drink but what kind of person wants to stop on a busy sidewalk to evaluate a smartphone? Are you looking to talk to a bunch of unemployed people?

The best smartphone advertising is aspirational - it convinces someone that they would feel great just owning it even before they turn it on. It's not about an objective comparison of features. You're vastly overestimating how much people think about their smartphones.
    11-25-15 07:53 AM
    Kind of like the Pepsi challenge except when you taste a soft drink then you've pretty much evaluated most of what a soft drink is preferred for - taste. Plus, people may stop to try a soft drink but what kind of person wants to stop on a busy sidewalk to evaluate a smartphone? Are you looking to talk to a bunch of unemployed people?

The best smartphone advertising is aspirational - it convinces someone that they would feel great just owning it even before they turn it on. It's not about an objective comparison of features. You're vastly overestimating how much people think about their smartphones.
    Funny, it works for the talkshow hosts who do that to trick people. They seem to get a bunch of good looking "unemployed people" to stop and think they are trying out the new Apple watch or new iphone...

And Microsoft found a bunch of well dressed "unemployed people" for their Bing challenge commercials, and who knows how many other times this tactic seems to have worked for people who want their 5 minutes of fame.

11-25-15 08:03 AM
    And Microsoft found a bunch of well dressed "unemployed people" for their Bing challenge commercials, and who knows how many other times this tactic seems to have worked for people who want their 5 minutes of fame.
    Then you have to ask yourself whether it's convincing at all to see a commercial that supposedly features an average person being impressed by smartphone features on the street. The point of the talkshow sidewalk interviews is to laugh at how clueless some people are or how easy it is to get someone to say practically anything to get on TV.
    11-25-15 08:13 AM
    Then you have to ask yourself whether it's convincing at all to see a commercial that supposedly features an average person being impressed by smartphone features on the street. The point of the talkshow sidewalk interviews is to laugh at how clueless some people are or how easy it is to get someone to say practically anything to get on TV.
    That's exactly the point. These people were impressed with an old Timex calculator watch... It'll look great on tv. It's called marketing. The talk show clips people laughed because the host told the audience before hand what the trick was. If it was done seriously, showing people so impressed, whether if they are just easily impressed, want to appear on tv (knowing if they are not impressed it would not be aired), or they are legitimately impressed, it doesn't matter...

11-25-15 08:20 AM
    It's a great idea. Wonder if it would have worked. At this point we're going to have to start a BB10 nation site if we want to stop being bombarded with Android App BS.
    11-25-15 02:03 PM
    It's a great idea. Wonder if it would have worked. At this point we're going to have to start a BB10 nation site if we want to stop being bombarded with Android App BS.
    Yah I know right? I understand the Priv runs Android, but Android news should still be on Android Central only. Priv owners know to go there instead of here...

11-25-15 03:43 PM
    Yah I know right? I understand the Priv runs Android, but Android news should still be on Android Central only. Priv owners know to go there instead of here...

Already happening...?

Have you noticed the sharp decline in responses, comments on homepage and general post count in General threads... :-D

I'd support your idea, "....eek! It's a... BlackBerry"

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    11-25-15 05:39 PM