There has been a lot of talk on here about the App Gap and how Blackberry can over-come it. Given the news of the last week I think that if BlackBerry plays it's cards right, it can go a long way to addressing the App Gap but in an unconventional manner. It all comes down to BlackBerry's renewed focus on it's corporate customers and deploying BES. Last month, BlackBerry announced that it had signed a deal for Univision to upgrade it's mobile fleet to BlackBerryQ10 Smartphones. The same day they announced that Univision was launching its own app for BlackBerry. To me, this makes perfect sense.... if you are requiring the majority of your employees to carry around a BlackBerry phone, it is only a matter of time before those employees start asking why they can't access their own company's services on their work-mandated phones. The natural result is that with internal pressure from employees, the company will eventually produce an app for BlackBerry that allow users access to its services.

Now granted, this isn't a magic bullet and it won't mean we will see the likes of Instagram and Netflix rolling out on our BlackBerry phones but outside of the trendier apps, there are a lot of companies where this could work quite well. If you can convince the IT guy at Bank of America to deploy 5000 BB10 smartphones at BoA, I don't think it'll be too long before you see a BoA app on BB10 (if there isn't one already... just a random example). Same with companies like Sky Broadcasting or NBC/Universal... Get your claws into the IT guys and deploy BB10 around the companies and I'm sure it won't be long before Sky employees are asking why they can't access Sky2Go on their phones provided to them by Sky. Now multiply that across multiple companies over the next 6-8 months and all of a sudden you start to end up with a lot of quality apps populating Blackberry world. Sure they may not be the sexy apps that will have people talking, but they will be solid apps from the big blue chip companies that people need and use in living their day to day lives. The perfect apps for the corporate/prosumer market BlackBerry hopes to capture.

So what do people think?? Will a strong push over the short term in deploying BES and BlackBerry 10 phones lead to a large boost in sought after apps?? Is there another way that people think would be a better alternative for continuing app development for BB10? There's only so much cash left in the pot and I think using it to push BES and BB10 corporate deployment may be BlackBerry's best shot at spurring app development. Hopefully we see the results of BlackBerry's new corporate push pay off in BBWorld shortly!! (*and yes, before people bring it up, I'm assuming that BlackBerry continues to produces handsets. Whether they are sold by the carriers or directly to corporate users is up for debate but I tend to believe they will continue to be available).
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    09-28-13 04:53 PM
    Certainly a long play.. but I can see it.

Unfortunately it's always a chicken / egg thing with apps though..
    09-28-13 06:47 PM
    BlackBerry has filled BBW with a high number of apps, but unfortunately for most parts: The wrong apps.

The $100 per app revards, dev. devices etc. attracted a lot of small/hobbyist developers (as well as S4BB and their "app factory". Everything - including app submission must be automated in order to alone submit 48.000 apps.)

Very few commercial apps are there, so basically the value of the BBW is closer to zero than Google Play or Apples App Store.

One way of doing a shortcut could be to open up for Google Play. This would hurt BlackBerry in the way that apps purchased through Google Play would not generate any revenue, but it would once and for all close the "app gap".
    This would effectively requite some changes to the Android runtime (e.g. to run native code and access to Google Maps).
    09-28-13 06:48 PM
    IT departments have been using their own applications for more than 20 years, probably longer. So now they are called apps.

Not exactly the holy grail.
    09-28-13 07:19 PM
    The top ten apps are what is hurting BB. Get those then the IT guy might be easier to convince.
    09-30-13 02:30 AM
    The top ten apps are what is hurting BB. Get those then the IT guy might be easier to convince.
    I think most IT guys want to keep their jobs.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    09-30-13 05:41 AM
    The problem is that users don't want BB phones; they want phones with apps. That includes C-suite users, IT managers, and so on. That's why BYOD continues to grow, as well as the trend of the remaining corporate-phone-issuing companies to issue Apple or Android phones. The number of companies issuing phones continues to drop, and of those, the ones issuing BB phones are dramatically dropping.

Given that Univision's couple thousand phones deserved a big press release, and we've heard nothing since then, that tells you all you need to know about corporate BB adoption. This isn't the early 2000s anymore.

And BB10 will never be allowed direct access to Google Play. The licensing requirements for Google Play access are online and easy to read, but just a couple of the requirements are:

• You must run a Google-certified version of Android.
    • Your company must not be making any non-Google-certified Android fork.
    • You must pre-load the full suite of Google Apps.
    • You must join the Android Alliance.

BB10 violates the first two of those points, even if BB was willing to do the last two, which they aren't (it would kill BB World).
    stevenjamesclark likes this.
    09-30-13 02:58 PM
    BYOD is a huge impediment to the BlackBerry-shop idea. But, it is the only way forward for BlackBerry.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    09-30-13 04:22 PM
    There is no way around... the only way to use it is to be as persistent as Microsoft. Just throw them at people until you get there..... Noting more can be done..... Well.... be the best at your price point and the OS. ...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 04:38 PM
    Unfortunately, there's a big issue here. I work for a huge entertainment company. I can tell you that there's no way we'll be getting BES 10 (believe me, I've pushed even for a pilot). They have moved on to other solutions for managing BYOD and replaced our fleet of BB devices with iphones. In fact, even asking for the Android version to be converted to BAR is frowned upon. (Additional support, etc.) I'm worried about this, if it's truly the only card they have left to play. If there's no consumer driver, it's going to be difficult to play it out this way.
    10-01-13 08:25 AM
    There has been a lot of talk on here about the App Gap and how Blackberry can over-come it. Given the news of the last week I think that if BlackBerry plays it's cards right, it can go a long way to addressing the App Gap but in an unconventional manner. It all comes down to BlackBerry's renewed focus on it's corporate customers and deploying BES. Last month, BlackBerry announced that it had signed a deal for Univision to upgrade it's mobile fleet to BlackBerryQ10 Smartphones. The same day they announced that Univision was launching its own app for BlackBerry. To me, this makes perfect sense.... if you are requiring the majority of your employees to carry around a BlackBerry phone, it is only a matter of time before those employees start asking why they can't access their own company's services on their work-mandated phones. The natural result is that with internal pressure from employees, the company will eventually produce an app for BlackBerry that allow users access to its services.

Now granted, this isn't a magic bullet and it won't mean we will see the likes of Instagram and Netflix rolling out on our BlackBerry phones but outside of the trendier apps, there are a lot of companies where this could work quite well. If you can convince the IT guy at Bank of America to deploy 5000 BB10 smartphones at BoA, I don't think it'll be too long before you see a BoA app on BB10 (if there isn't one already... just a random example). Same with companies like Sky Broadcasting or NBC/Universal... Get your claws into the IT guys and deploy BB10 around the companies and I'm sure it won't be long before Sky employees are asking why they can't access Sky2Go on their phones provided to them by Sky. Now multiply that across multiple companies over the next 6-8 months and all of a sudden you start to end up with a lot of quality apps populating Blackberry world. Sure they may not be the sexy apps that will have people talking, but they will be solid apps from the big blue chip companies that people need and use in living their day to day lives. The perfect apps for the corporate/prosumer market BlackBerry hopes to capture.

So what do people think?? Will a strong push over the short term in deploying BES and BlackBerry 10 phones lead to a large boost in sought after apps?? Is there another way that people think would be a better alternative for continuing app development for BB10? There's only so much cash left in the pot and I think using it to push BES and BB10 corporate deployment may be BlackBerry's best shot at spurring app development. Hopefully we see the results of BlackBerry's new corporate push pay off in BBWorld shortly!! (*and yes, before people bring it up, I'm assuming that BlackBerry continues to produces handsets. Whether they are sold by the carriers or directly to corporate users is up for debate but I tend to believe they will continue to be available).
    I think this was the goal with seeding all the playbooks... if everyone had one then they would dev for it. I hope they start seeding some bb10 devices so that we can get some quality apps made

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:22 AM
    So what do people think?? Will a strong push over the short term in deploying BES and BlackBerry 10 phones lead to a large boost in sought after apps?? Is there another way that people think would be a better alternative for continuing app development for BB10?
    I think they would have to do a few things.
    1. Free BES 10 for a year for all devices
    2. Free Z30 (special) for each 100 BB10 phones purchased
    3. Develop in-house apps for free

I think BlackBerry should put out ads that they will create a team to build in-house apps for any company with legacy apps or possibly a process that could be turned into a phone app. As part of the offer, the company agrees to got to BES 10 and only provide BB10 phones for 2 years (BYOD is still okay, but if the company buys a phone, it has to be BB). All devices on BES 10 will be free for a year (BES 10 is already free, you only pay for the per phone charge). For every 100 phones bought in bulk, BlackBerry will give a free CEO Z30 phone (kind of like the Porsche phone).

The idea being, if the company gets support and their feet wet with an in-house app, then it would be easier for them to start create customer apps for BB10. And then by hooking them with discounts, they get the phones in the hands of their employees, which makes it easier to sell to everyone else.

I know, it isn't 2000 anymore. People don't get jealous of someone an their BlackBerry anymore. But, seeing them in the wild will help change minds.
    10-01-13 10:24 AM