Hi Folks,

This is my very first message on this board. I've read a lot of messages and I can see the mood is pretty low right now with all the negativity surrounding BBY. Here is a little ray of light from a non-bby user... On October 15 once it becomes available here in Canada, my wife and I will be saying good bye for good to Android and we will both be getting the new Z30

Why would I do that? Don't I know that I can't get Instagram and Candy Crush on BB10? Don't I know that the company might cease to exist in a year? What the hell am I thinking?

Well, let's face it. BB10 will never have as many apps as android. Blackberry will never be as "cool" s Apple. This is not Blackberry's strength or identity. But Blackberry has something that neither Apple nor all the Android devices have: SECURITY!

I have been following all the Snowden leaks very closely since the news broke out, and it turns out that the BBY OS is the only one that the NSA and probably all other spy agencies have the hardest time to crack and spy on. Blackberry has a strong reputation of being secure and the leaks confirm that. Besides, Blackberry not being a US company, it is unlikely to be in bed with the NSA like Microsoft, Apple and Google as it has been demonstrated by the leaks.

So, the reason why I'm leaving Android for Blackberry is because I do care about my privacy. And so do the vast majority of the people. So, if I were in the marketing team of Blackberry, I would start a massive ad campaign called: "Guess Why?" and go as hard as possible after the rivals. Why be polite when you have nothing to lose? It would go something like this:

- "Saudi Arabia and The UAE want to ban Blackberry... Guess Why?"
    - "BB10 has NATO security clearance... Guess Why?"
    - "The NSA has not been able to crack our security features... Guess Why?"
    - "The NSA does not have access to our secured servers... Guess Why?"
    - "Blackberry does not scan your fingerprint... Guess Why?"
    - "Google believes "If you have something that you dont want anyone to know, maybe you shouldnt be doing it in the first place"... Guess Why?"
    - "MS Windows has hidden backdoors... Guess Why?"
    - "BB10 is ranked #1 for security... Guess Why?"
    - "On BB10, apps access to your personal information is restricted... Guess Why?"
    - "Country/Army/Police XYZ is transferring all its mobile communication to Blackberry... Guess Why?"

After "Guess Why?", I would add something like "Your security matters" or "Your privacy matters" or something like that.

Obviously, I'm new to BBY and above are the things I can think of on the top of my head. There are probably a lot more powerful messages that can be sent through this campaign. This campaign should come along another one, more "positive" showing that with BB10, a user can do just as much as with Android or iOS or WP. BBY has a formidable opportunity to surf on the gigantic NSA scandal and make a come back, but people must know that BBY is a lot safer than than anything else. The message that their communication are spied on if they use iOS, Android or WP should be repeated ad nauseum until the message sinks in their head. Get people to fear using anything else, just as they should! (fear is a powerful sentiment that drives consumers purchase decisions...)

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents for anybody from Blackberry if they read this forum...
    10-05-13 11:22 PM
    The mood is low because BlackBerry's management team continues to do the wrong things at the wrong time. 700 CAD for a z30, off contract, is just a bone-headed move. Heck, even Rogers sees this and will be passing on the z30.

I don't know what goes on in those executive suites, but the general consensus is that the executive team at BlackBerry is unable and unwilling to turn the company around.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR and kbz1960 like this.
    10-05-13 11:30 PM
    Well said. I love my BB Q10 too.
    10-05-13 11:31 PM
    Your style of writing, and your mindset seem very familiar, if you are indeed brand new to CB, you'll fit right in.

Your endorsement certainly is strong and enthusiastic considering you don't even have the phones yet, and are android users, but good for you - glad you're excited about it!

On the subject of your ads....most of your points would be unusable. A few are actually false, most are too vague and in some cases likely to be subject to legal action. Sorry but they come across to me as very.....internet fanboy type claims, even the ones that could be used, will probably not be very effective - and I do not think will impress, and in a worst case, may make BB look amateur.
    10-05-13 11:46 PM
    OP: I have news for you. Unless you're BB10 phone is setup with BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) through your work, you're BlackBerry is no more secure than an Android or iPhone. Any incoming or outgoing communications on a non-BES BlackBerry use the same networks and are basically as vulnerable to attacks as other phones. If you are on BES, however, then your phone is pretty much a fortress. Originally an enterprise-driven company, BlackBerry is well known for its security, but regular consumers don't get that.

I suppose it'd be possible to setup your own BES server, but it'd cost a load of money.

Not to dissuade you from getting the BlackBerry Z30, however. It is an excellent phone, and unless you absolutely need the thousands of (mostly useless) applications on other platforms, then BlackBerry is the way to go.

I'm not sure if the same is true for the legacy BBOS phones though. The non-BES BBOS phones use BIS and go through BlackBerry's servers for ultra data compression, so I think still gets some of that security.

On another note, any applications on BB World are guaranteed to be virus-free because each one is scanned by BB employees first, which can't be said of other platforms like Android that just have an automated approval process.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:09 AM
    The problem is NSA can also intercept BlackBerry texts, emails, and voice communications: How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE

And due to BlackBerry's relative lack of resources compared to competitor's, chaotic situation at the company, very uncertain future, and ineffective management, it would not surprise me one bit if BlackBerry looses it's #1 security ranking in the next couple of years. It is barely hanging on to that position right now.

But anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you like your new device. It would be interesting to hear your unbiased opinion of it compared to Android.
    10-06-13 12:17 AM
    Not all BlackBerry security is created equal as Chaz95 mentioned. Your setup determines how secure your data is - a non BES BB10 device is no different from any other platform.
    10-06-13 12:41 AM
    But,is blackberry voluntarily handing over there information to the NSA like apple and google are?
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    10-06-13 01:33 AM
    But,is blackberry voluntarily handing over there information to the NSA like apple and google are?
    Well BlackBerry did setup servers in India so that the government there can monitor communications:
    RIM finally sets up BlackBerry server in Mumbai - Times Of India

And Saudi Arabia:
    Report: RIM to let Saudis monitor BlackBerry data | Mobile - CNET News

Not quite the knights in shining armor you thought they were?
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-06-13 03:40 AM
    The problem is NSA can also intercept BlackBerry texts, emails, and voice communications: How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE

And due to BlackBerry's relative lack of resources compared to competitor's, chaotic situation at the company, very uncertain future, and ineffective management, it would not surprise me one bit if BlackBerry looses it's #1 security ranking in the next couple of years. It is barely hanging on to that position right now.

But anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you like your new device. It would be interesting to hear your unbiased opinion of it compared to Android.
    I suggest anyone that's concerned with security to read this article. It clearly states that the BlackBerry smartphone was the thoughest smartphone to break in to.

They aren't.

Well BlackBerry did setup servers in India so that the government there can monitor communications:
    RIM finally sets up BlackBerry server in Mumbai - Times Of India

And Saudi Arabia:
    Report: RIM to let Saudis monitor BlackBerry data | Mobile - CNET News

Not quite the knights in shining armor you thought they were?
    They put servers in that country, which gives the governments easier access to encrypted messages. They didn't hand them the unencrypted messages. They pressured BlackBerry into doing this. Are you forgetting to say that they didn't even bother with iPhone, Android or WP? Because that's a joke to crack.
    10-06-13 04:15 AM
    snip...So, the reason why I'm leaving Android for Blackberry is because I do care about my privacy. And so do the vast majority of the people . ...
    The worldwide mobile marketshare does not prove this out. Hasn't for years.
    10-06-13 08:52 AM
    They put servers in that country, which gives the governments easier access to encrypted messages. They didn't hand them the unencrypted messages. They pressured BlackBerry into doing this. Are you forgetting to say that they didn't even bother with iPhone, Android or WP? Because that's a joke to crack.
    When they put servers into other countries for the specific reason of allowing the government to monitor communications, they are basically giving them the keys to the vault, doesn't matter if the communications are encrypted or not at that point. Besides, the poster I was replying to asked if they did that, not whether or not they were handing over unencrypted data.

There's two common misconceptions that are frequently found here. First is that BlackBerry is somehow on some sort of moral high ground where they wouldn't compromise users' privacy like some of their competition supposedly do. Second is that all BlackBerries enjoy the end to end encryption that only BES enabled devices do. I would think most users here are not on BES, yet you commonly see people toss out one of the reasons they use a BlackBerry is because of security from government spying.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-13 11:26 AM
    Not all BlackBerry security is created equal as Chaz95 mentioned. Your setup determines how secure your data is - a non BES BB10 device is no different from any other platform.
    Except BBM. Isn't that still secure for the most part?

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    10-06-13 11:31 AM
    The average consumer do not care at all about security
    This has been proven over and over again

Security is only a valid concern for enterprise

This is why blackberry is playing to their strengths and focusing on enterprise
    10-06-13 11:41 AM
    Except BBM. Isn't that still secure for the most part?

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    BBM I believe is still running through the NOC.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 11:53 AM
    I use BlackBerry because I am not worried about data stealing by hacking apps. I use BlackBerry because I am not worried when I use the bank apps or website....

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:05 PM
    OP: I have news for you. Unless you're BB10 phone is setup with BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) through your work, you're BlackBerry is no more secure than an Android or iPhone. Any incoming or outgoing communications on a non-BES BlackBerry use the same networks and are basically as vulnerable to attacks as other phones. If you are on BES, however, then your phone is pretty much a fortress. Originally an enterprise-driven company, BlackBerry is well known for its security, but regular consumers don't get that.
    Posted via CB10
    Good points. However not 100% accurate. BES doesn't create it's own magical network. The real benefit of Legacy BES (BBOS) was that it provided encrypted communication from server to device when the rest of the world world was still throwing data around in plain text.

This is now unnecessary since encryption for communications is pretty much a standard. That's why BB10 uses EAS.

The real security from an enterprise perspective comes from being able to limit the usage profile of the device and track it. That's what any MDM program can now do as well.
    10-06-13 01:01 PM