Fire Phone is failing for the same reason that BB10 has not been successful in the consumer market. No top tier apps unless Amazon can convince the top devs to write for its forked Android the Fire will be DOA.

Z30 and loving it!
    08-12-14 10:17 PM
    Fire Phone is failing for the same reason that BB10 has not been successful in the consumer market. No top tier apps unless Amazon can convince the top devs to write for its forked Android the Fire will be DOA.

Z30 and loving it!
    Personally think the Fire Phone is just overkill to company's already vast portfolio. They need to stick to making those beauty eReaders.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-12-14 11:55 PM
    We don't know how the FirePhone will fare yet. Maybe its features could resonate with consumers? Also, while market research does indicate that it will flop, BB10 sets a rather low bar to beat.

Did the makers of Blackphone have a multibillion dollar writedown now?
    Talking about write down. I saw a poster on this forum about two weeks ago say that his Z10 was manufactured Feb 2014. That means BB is still manufacturing the Z10 and write downs are sold.
    08-13-14 02:42 AM
    BlackBerrys problem is marketing and advertising. Whoever sells the phones needs to advertise and market them. BB does not need Amazon to do that. BB needs to learn how to market BB and advertise phones and services.
    08-13-14 02:56 AM
    Amazon's cloud service to enterprises is the largest and fastest growing. Together they have a lot in common, the CIA is one of Amazon's newest accounts. Add Amazon's point and click service with 24/7 tech support to Blackberry's hardware/services and Amazon/BlackBerry becomes more compelling not only to enterprises but to the elusive consumers. A partnership may already be in the works and may be a reason Apple/ IBM joined. It makes perfect sense imo. The potential may be larger than being discussed here. It's a matter of time.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 05:26 PM
    Amazon's cloud service to enterprises is the largest and fastest growing. Together they have a lot in common, the CIA is one of Amazon's newest accounts. Add Amazon's point and click service with 24/7 tech support to Blackberry's hardware/services and Amazon/BlackBerry becomes more compelling not only to enterprises but to the elusive consumers. A partnership may already be in the works and may be a reason Apple/ IBM joined. It makes perfect sense imo. The potential may be larger than being discussed here. It's a matter of time.

Posted via CB10
    So let's see.

Maybe if they pre-install and Amazon shopping app, BBRY might get some click4/purchase commissions. But that's only on the consumer side. On the Enterprise side they've got bigger fish to fry, let's say enterprise cloud services for BB10 / hosted BES for SMB, etc.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    ziggy3055 likes this.
    08-13-14 06:46 PM
    Talking about write down. I saw a poster on this forum about two weeks ago say that his Z10 was manufactured Feb 2014. That means BB is still manufacturing the Z10 and write downs are sold.
    There was a thread where they explained this. That they have stopped manufacturing Z10's and Q10's about almost a year ago and they are just boxing them and updating firmware now

From an older thread:

The last Z10s and Q10s were manufactured in June of 2013, and the last Z30 around September 2013, by Jabil Curcuit, for BB. None of them are in production by any means - BB doesn't even have a contract with Jabil Circuit anymore (as of Oct 2013). The Z3 is the only device currently in production (small-scale, and by Foxconn). Of course, the "Classic" (Q20) and the Q30 have been announced for release later this year, and presumably will be manufactured by Foxconn as well.

As others have noted, the date on the box is not the manufacturing date of the device, but rather the date the device was boxed up for sale, and that is apparently done in small batches as needed, which allows updated insert materials and potentially even OS updates to be performed prior to boxing.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by eldricho; 08-13-14 at 07:17 PM.
    JeepBB and gfondeur like this.
    08-13-14 07:05 PM
    From the IBT:

Another theory: They're not trying to sell a huge number of Fire Phones. Rather, they're looking to get a more modest number of Fire Phones into the hands of Amazon power users to see if they can figure out the future of e-commerce -- which at this point doesn't look so good. Commerce, like everything else, is going mobile and that's a problem for Amazon because mobile users tend to do plenty of browsing but not a lot of buying. Research conducted by Monetate showed that while 3.15 percent of those who browse an item on PCs actually buy it, that number drops to 2.45 percent for tablets and -- the scary part -- 1.14 percent for mobile.

A lot of those mobile users are looking for the best price and end up buying on Amazon.com anyway. But the trend lines aren't good, and that's worrisome in markets where the smartphone is the primary device, not the PC. As part of its long game, Amazon needs to figure out mobile and keep it from plummeting toward zero like click-through rates in mobile adveritising. That's why Michael Mace, mobile strategist at User Testing, believes the Fire Phone is an important test bed for Amazon to bring up conversion rates through technologies like Firefly, which allow users to scan an item and buy it seamlessly.

"Sometimes little increments in usability can make a huge difference in usage," Mace said. "What happens when you integrate that into a device -- one tap and you're shopping? No one knows if that's going to be a powerful application or not. The only way you do know is to build your own phone."

Amazon is no stranger to discounting goods to build market share, which they may yet do for the Fire Phone. It has also gone into markets with crude devices only to improve them over time. Compare an early Amazon Kindle to today's Paperwhite, for example.

The rest of the article: Amazon Built The Fire Phone In Order To Figure Out The Future of E-Commerce

Jeff can lose a lot of money for a very long time. While carriers don't fear the wrath of BB, they certainly fear Amazon.
    08-13-14 08:19 PM
    I'm curious why BB does not become a full Android-certified vendor with Google. Is it because they're required to have the Google Play Store? I mean, at the very least it would mean they'd have access to Play Services, which would be a huge win. (FWIW, unless Amazon gets a massive presence most developers are going to use Play Services over a suite of roll-your-own frameworks).
    08-14-14 06:32 AM
    I'm curious why BB does not become a full Android-certified vendor with Google. Is it because they're required to have the Google Play Store? I mean, at the very least it would mean they'd have access to Play Services, which would be a huge win. (FWIW, unless Amazon gets a massive presence most developers are going to use Play Services over a suite of roll-your-own frameworks).
    It's because being an Open Handset Alliance member requires that any product you sell that uses any Android code must be fully Google-compliant. That would effectively mean that BB10 would either have to be discontinued (and replaced by Android) or that the Android runtime would have to be removed from BB10 and then BB would have to make a compliant Android phone alongside their BB10 offerings.

Being an OHA member doesn't mean you have to use Android for everything (HTC, Samsung, and others also make WinPhones, for example), but it does mean that you cannot use Android in any of your products unless it is fully Google-certified Android, a standard that BB10, by definition, could never meet.

Google has no intentions of letting its ecosystem be used by other companies to compete directly against Google, and that's exactly what would happen if Google allowed BB10 full official access to Google Play. Why would any company allow that? If BB had a dominant ecosystem that they'd spent hundreds of millions or more to build, should they be forced to let WinPhone, or OnePlus, or Meego, or Sailfish to have access to it and thus pull away BB customers using BB's own ecosystem? Of course not.
    08-14-14 11:19 AM
    Troy I wish you would do a thread explaining this and get someone to make it a sticky in the the Android App section.

A lot of new users come here expecting all Goggle Apps to work or they think 10.3 or 10.3.1 is going to suddenly open up the whole Android App market to BlackBerry. Of course if the CEO say's 98%......

Between the Open Handset Alliance requirements and Google's new Google Services "piracy protection" plan... things are not going to get better for BB10.
    08-14-14 11:32 AM
    troy i wish you would do a thread explaining this and get someone to make it a sticky in the the android app section.

A lot of new users come here expecting all goggle apps to work or they think 10.3 or 10.3.1 is going to suddenly open up the whole android app market to blackberry. Of course if the ceo say's 98%......

Between the open handset alliance requirements and google's new google services "piracy protection" plan... Things are not going to get better for bb10.
    LOL @ 98%. Lol.
    08-14-14 11:34 AM
    Troy I wish you would do a thread explaining this and get someone to make it a sticky in the the Android App section.
    I'd be happy to write something up (or take one of my prior posts and tweak it out a bit) if someone in charge actually wants to do this.
    TGR1 likes this.
    08-14-14 08:20 PM
    It's because being an Open Handset Alliance member requires that any product you sell that uses any Android code must be fully Google-compliant. That would effectively mean that BB10 would either have to be discontinued (and replaced by Android) or that the Android runtime would have to be removed from BB10 and then BB would have to make a compliant Android phone alongside their BB10 offerings.

Being an OHA member doesn't mean you have to use Android for everything (HTC, Samsung, and others also make WinPhones, for example), but it does mean that you cannot use Android in any of your products unless it is fully Google-certified Android, a standard that BB10, by definition, could never meet.

Google has no intentions of letting its ecosystem be used by other companies to compete directly against Google, and that's exactly what would happen if Google allowed BB10 full official access to Google Play. Why would any company allow that? If BB had a dominant ecosystem that they'd spent hundreds of millions or more to build, should they be forced to let WinPhone, or OnePlus, or Meego, or Sailfish to have access to it and thus pull away BB customers using BB's own ecosystem? Of course not.
    Hopefully now that Amazon has a phone and with the BlackBerry agreement more top app devs will see a large untapped market emerging and begin to write and or port over their google play apps to Amazon's forked Android.

Z30 and loving it!
    08-15-14 05:31 PM
    The issue is always Apps.

What the industry of App makers needs to do is establish a way to have in their apps, a standardized way to check for what ecosystem they are in (Google, Amazon, BlackBerry, etc) and have their Apps tap into the services which are resident.

I would imagine that some entity, open source, could come up with a way to allow use of open only resources (for mapping), and then developers could use libraries to check for in app payments, etc.

Google is trying to get more and more developers entrenched in their ecosystem so as to specifically counteract that. Because they want the data and the ad revenue.

Honestly, as much as I love Bb10 native apps, because of how they a built, the UX, etc,the fact is that D probably only Windows has the power to continue to get developers to write to a different ecosystem. And,this is because this apps will be use able on Win 8.1, and win 8.1 tablets.

So, we have to hope for Android Apps that become more universal. For that,we need more non Google,Android based ecosystems.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 10:02 AM
    What the industry of App makers needs to do is establish a way to have in their apps, a standardized way to check for what ecosystem they are in (Google, Amazon, BlackBerry, etc) and have their Apps tap into the services which are resident.
    That's a lot of extra work for a relatively small percentage of users. Android developers already have to deal with the significant fragmentation problem. The small developers have limited rescues to invest in trying to reach minority users. The large developers are in a feature race to adopt platform features as soon as they become available. If a new social networking feature becomes popular then they are going to try to get their app updated and compatible ASAP and not consider of the minority Android users on other ecosystems. Let's face it, the users who choose the other ecosystems probably aren't the heavy app users.
    08-17-14 10:35 AM
    Let's face it, the users who choose the other ecosystems probably aren't the heavy app users.
    A pertinent point.

I've had more than one developer state the belief that BB users prefer to use the browser.
    08-17-14 05:05 PM
    http://videobam.com/FXNGZ
    Take a look at that.

The phone might be a bust but the services Amazon provides certainly add some serious value.

All those services and innovation on a BlackBerry and we're good to go
    08-20-14 07:10 AM
    I'd be happy to write something up (or take one of my prior posts and tweak it out a bit) if someone in charge actually wants to do this.
    I hope this happens. There are entire threads about this topic completely filled with mis-information. I resisted entering a comment because I could see it would only spawn more arguing, but if there were a sticky with your explanation, I wouldn't mind pointing people to it. This question comes up over and over again.
    TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    08-20-14 07:40 AM
    08-25-14 03:09 PM
    Thanks, good write-up...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-26-14 11:02 PM
    A pertinent point.

I've had more than one developer state the belief that BB users prefer to use the browser.
    The browser works better on bb10 than any android I ever tried. If a native app works well, I use it over the browser because it's simply easier. Most android apps and ports don't work as well as just using the browser. For example though, I really like the search for amazon native app. Sometimes you still need to use the browser and go to the full site. That's just getting out of mobile mode though. In short, BlackBerry 10 browser is boss, but sometimes it would be nice to just click an app.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:43 PM
    I agree with you 100% I also believe the greatest handicap for BB is Android app dependence. As far as I'm concerned monetize all if not most of the basic and favorite apps and build from there. I purchased apps on any platform I've been on, which have been BB ,WP7 and now Android. The Passport and Classics as well as BB OS 10.3 have encouraged me back into the BB fold, not to mention security. Would I pay for apps on the BB platform, already did and will again. Cheers !

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-07-14 01:32 PM
    Agreed

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-07-14 01:33 PM
    And now presenting.......the 99 cent Amazon Fire phone.

As I stated in my OP.....time for BBRY to step up to the plate.

Amazon's Fire phone isn't lighting it up. The Fire phone is on the Fire sale.

Apple's iCloud debacle.....despite the way it was done.....has generated some positive spin for BBRY phones in social media and on the stock market.

Amazon wants into the mobile device industry. BBRY has the most secure mobile OS platform with true multitasking. Convincing Amazon to have it's app store become THE source of movies, music, and NATIVE games and apps would be a tough sell, but it'd be a sweet arrangement. The movies and music are there already, just cut the Android cord and go with QNX based apps and games.

Blackberry World......powered by Amazon.........

Still think BBM integration w/ Amazon Prime Music and Movies would be awesome too. Could even get Amazon based channels. By putting Amazon into BBM, this could get Amazon into places they've NOT been able to access.

Sound like a plan to anyone? Is anyone in Waterloo listening?
    09-08-14 11:27 PM
59 123