How many times have you written in regards to BlackBerry 10's poor marketing efforts on Crackberry? For myself, BlackBerry's marketing is beyond frustrating. Sure, other factors are in the equation for the lack of BB10 sales. It just seems this topic gets talked to death and never shows signs of correcting itself.
    Anyway, when it comes to marketing, I think it's fair to say."BlackBerry just doesn't get it".

Finally, hope has arrived. I've been waiting a long time to hear these simple words from a BlackBerry CEO or CMO. The following is just a snippet from an interview with Mr. Chen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Source: CNET Feb 26,2014)

Chen said that one of the biggest mistakes of the previous regime was the inability to educate the market about the benefits of the BlackBerry 10. The company had a number of commercials and ads showing some of the features, as well as a high profile, but perplexing, Super Bowl commercial, but nothing was effective.

Chen said he wasn't simply giving his phones to the carriers for sale to consumers. He said he would back the launches up with marketing dollars and hoped the carriers would provide additional support.

Without an educated sales force, consumers are left with the pure out-of-the-box experience, and Chen concedes it is complicated to start using the phone, particularly for a longtime BlackBerry user. Chen said that with the new BlackBerrys, he focused on the "out of the box" experience, and thinks about the opening minutes that a person has with one of his devices.

"It's really about listening to the customer," he said.

-------------------------------------
    FINALLY!
    Seriously, was that so hard? Thank You Mr. Chen.
    Last edited by xBURK; 02-26-14 at 08:22 PM.
    Jrox74, RyanGermann, nt300 and 2 others like this.
    02-26-14 07:44 PM
    lets hope he follows thru soon!
    Grumblegrumble and xBURK like this.
    02-26-14 08:08 PM
    Me too, I truly hope BlackBerry really shows how amazing the 10 is and educate consumers and the media about the new!

Posted via CB10
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 08:20 PM
    It definitely sounds like Chen is paying attention and has a good understanding of what the problems are. That's good. We can't be SURE if Thor understood those issues or not.

But it's far too early to celebrate. Often, it's much easier to identify the problem than it is to come up with a workable solution, and then to execute well on that solution.

Example: BB10 needs more native apps. We all know what the problem is (more native apps are needed), but there's really no simple solution to the problem - developers are staying away by their own choice due to marketshare, and Android compatibility is limited and more complicated than most people are used to. No one has a good "fix" for that.

Yes, Chen is saying that he recognizes that marketing needs to be more effective, and he seems to understand some of the issues it needs to address, but it remains to be seen what his solutions to that turn out to be, and how well he executes. So far, he seems to be doing better than the previous regimes, but we're still VERY early in BB's (potential) recovery, and nothing is assured.

Be cautiously optimistic.
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 08:23 PM
    Good study in theory. A tougher question is what elements will get marketed?
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 08:29 PM
    And an even tougher question is whether anyone will put aside their dated (but justifiable) preconceptions of "a BlackBerry", and even give them a chance at "the out of the box opening minutes".

Posted via CB10
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 08:39 PM
    Yes, valid points guys.
    I only chalk this up to "Hope".
    At least we know what he is thinking.
    But for sure, this is way to early to make any type of judgment on Mr. Chen.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:44 PM
    And an even tougher question is whether anyone will put aside their dated (but justifiable) preconceptions of "a BlackBerry", and even give them a chance at "the out of the box opening minutes".

Posted via CB10
    Well, from the sounds of it, he would definitely understand your statement. Hopefully this will be tackled In a smart effective way.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:46 PM
    There are very dry "how to use BlackBerry" videos on Youtube that many think are not suitable for "commercials", but I (a professional technology marketer) disagree, especially in light of the new focus on enterprise customers.

How Peek and Flow work IS a key selling feature. In explaining what it is and how it works you're EDUCATING the viewer about "no home button". It would help if the voice over said "and, instead of a home button, you swipe up, as simple as that". People who see it, consumers, enterprise IT nerds, CTOs, would probably all say "Hmmm... interesting" or "neat" or "GROSS" but at least they wouldn't buy the device and return it in frustration.
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 08:53 PM
    Make them go through tutorial even before the initial setup.
    02-26-14 09:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    That is something Mr. Chen will have to work on. And one way to do such a thing is by releasing a Brand New High Spec's device such as the rumoured Z50 based on the 64-Bit Octa-Core, 4GB Ram, Super AMOLED, 1080p, 5.5" Full Touch device. This device designed and targeted for the consumer market to get the BlackBerry "NAME" & "IMAGE" back into the game. Reviewers WILL go nuts for this device, will want to review and rate such a high end device. Word of mouth advertisement would also be a strong help in selling this device.

The error the OLD BlackBerry made was releasing a under-spec'ed Z30 with a superior BB10 OS. Despite the FACT this device out-classed and out-performed higher spec'ed Android devices, BBRY's mistake was the fact consumers look at specs 1st and foremost,

By releasing a high end spec'ed BBRY device powered by BB10, you end up with a monster of a device having the best of both worlds. And as of to date, the only mobile OS capable of utilizing a Quad/Octa-Core properly and efficiently leaving out the nonsense OS gimmicks is BB10 ONLY.
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 09:56 PM
    My view: When you open a new BB10 device, a simple detailed Step by Step "How to Handbook" should be the first thing the customers sees. You have to treat every customer like they've never held a smart phone in their life. Plus, along with that, a "How to Videos" Icon on the Home Screen with pre-loaded videos inside. We live in an age when the tiniest hiccup can make someone revert to needing a diaper.
    Fits of rage can make the product return. I'm guessing this is why Q10's were returned in record numbers. Yes, most of us breezed through the first day on BB10. You'd have to be ignorant to think many didn't though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 02-27-14 at 11:57 AM.
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-26-14 09:57 PM
    I think folks will give it a chance, especially if BB10 allows them to at least match the functionality of the device they will be coming from. I think that is key.
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 10:25 PM
    And as of to date, the only mobile OS capable of utilizing a Quad/Octa-Core properly and efficiently leaving out the nonsense OS gimmicks is BB10 ONLY.
    I agree with some of your points, but I posit that the above is a bit of opinion. I think other OSes do fine with high end specs.
    02-26-14 10:27 PM
    Yes, but I suggest it be reworked a bit: the actual setup shouldn't be one linear app, despite that being a more convenient / optimal "app"... all the settings should be separate "mini apps" (or at least within the setup app, the various functions should be presented as though they are apps) and to get through the entire setup you have navigate between different apps and use the gestures like peek and flow. Swipe right to left is all you really have to do and that's not enough.

They should make it so the First thing you see is a screen full of different language text, but without a big button... you have to swipe down from the top of the screen to show the application menu, from which you choose both "Language Settings" "Time Zone". Then, the animation says to swipe UP to go to the Home screen and exit the "Language and Time Zone Settings App", and it explains what just happened "You just left the "Locale" App and returned to the Home screen. Swiping up from the bottom bezel is just like a "home" button without the button"

There are a handful of other "apps" there, that you can access in any order, but each of them can't be shut down until you 'complete' the step, like entering the WiFi settings or setting up the blackberry ID... you should be able to do them in any order. Attempting to close an app should prompt the user "you haven't finished yet..." Sure, in the real BlackBerry 10 OS they'll never encounter an app that can't be closed in this way, but why shouldn't it be enforced here.

Then, at the end (or throughout), TOAST notifications tell the user "you just did a 'application menu' gesture, swiping down from the top bezel. You'll use that in apps to get to settings etc.

After closing all the the "Settings" apps, another toast pops up and says "All your Setup apps are closed. Now we'll load all your other apps and get your device ready to use". Then the apps all appear and maybe a few more prompts like there are currently.

So, the Setup isn't an App: it's MANY apps that by their interaction the user is actually performing and learning the techniques needed to navigate.

But that doesn't mean they won't need a Trackpad to do precise selection in long-form text :-) Bring on the Belt, bay-bee!
    xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 10:55 PM
    By releasing a high end spec'ed BBRY device powered by BB10, you end up with a monster of a device having the best of both worlds. And as of to date, the only mobile OS capable of utilizing a Quad/Octa-Core properly and efficiently leaving out the nonsense OS gimmicks is BB10 ONLY.
    I agree that a superpowered device would be a good idea... but I think other things have to happen first.

Sure a Z50 as you describe it would get attention... but then... they'd try to find the home button, and it's not there... and neither is Netflix or Instagram... and "Snap" isn't preloaded on the device, so... they're already frustrated even though the device is a super powered behemoth.

I don't think the PRIMARY problem that BlackBerry has in getting positive press and more interest from customers is that they don't have a drool-worthy device... once they get over the adoption obstacles in the OS itself (partially solved by the Belt and incumbent OS improvements) and the OS really starts to SHINE like it's already starting to but moreso... and then, maybe, just maybe, it's the right time to try to wow the critics with a super powered top-tier device... that still won't have the apps out of the box and will be set aside for the competitive device on Android or iOS that DOES have the apps:

So, UX / OS first, then build the number of users up, quadruple them, THEN worry about competing on specs, because competing on specs NOW would only get the BB diehards who already own BB10 devices to drool and buy new devices, but it won't bring 15 million more users on board until the OS has universal respect ("BB10 is a good, solid OS") and the killer apps that are needed also come on board.

...and from what their product guy (Francois?) said in Barcelona, they are going to have those short-run "aspirational" devices, and if one of those isn't a super-powered behemoth, I'm going to have a chat with him in the manner off the scotsman who can't resist shouting at movies.

xBURK likes this.
    02-26-14 11:07 PM