At 51, Cirino, the venture capitalist, has not only observed others struggling to avoid the dreaded in my day syndrome, shes living it. She recently ditched her beloved BlackBerry because it was pegging her as old.

Id go to meetings and a lot of guys had never seen one, she said. Theyd say, Is that a BlackBerry? I didnt think those were still around. 

She now e-mails and texts on her Android phone. On the virtual keyboard, she types slower and makes more typos, but its the price I pay for looking contemporary, she said.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-25-15 10:11 PM
    poor, poor woman. In kindergarten, I learned how important it is to be true to yourself. I guess the new lesson is "if people are making fun of you, do whatever it takes to fit in!"

oh well. I guess I'll move my SIM over to my iPhone and get ready for the cool kids to invite me to their sexy parties.

Fidel Mercado likes this.
    05-25-15 10:33 PM
    Just read the rest of that piece and apparently people feel compelled to forgo reading glasses. I guess looking young is more important than reading...

On the flip side,.. does that mean we now get to retire at 40?
    05-25-15 10:38 PM
    I got a Passport to avoid getting reading glasses. And it's the truly cool phone. Of course, since I'm the boss in my company, I get to be the trendsetter.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    05-27-15 06:58 AM
    Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 02:32 AM
    Use a product that won't let you be as efficient and productive as you could be just to fit in? Grow some balls or whatever else fits your gender orientation.

I'm sure the Passport kills iPhone and Android in pure "OS based" (or "device based") productivity. Anyone will see this by just looking at the phone and realize that this is not the old Bold.

It's hip to be square!!!

:-D

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    05-28-15 06:33 PM
    Just read the rest of that piece and apparently people feel compelled to forgo reading glasses. I guess looking young is more important than reading...

On the flip side,.. does that mean we now get to retire at 40?
    This is where we're getting in a society that looks at the outside,...

Appearance instead of substance!
    The world wants to be deceived. As long as it "looks as if", it's all good even though the reality might paint a completely different picture.

I'd rather see someone being able to read (the skill of the young, or those with young eyes or properly equipped with glasses) than "look young" and not be able to do their work.
    That's ageism, SELF-imposed ageism.
    The worst thing is that people are playing this game and don't even realize. (It's a very evil, surreptitious form of discrimination, there is no black and white, male, female or anything in between! And it will affect us all sooner or later... )

If I were the boss in that company, I'd ponder sacking them on the spot, for supporting ageism and not showing up properly equipped at their work place....! At least I'd tell them...

:-D

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 05-28-15 at 09:50 PM.
    05-28-15 06:43 PM