This opinion is likely going to be an unpopular one among Crackberry users, but this company is hemorrhaging money and they are still rolling out updates for a defunct product that never made money in the first place.

I don't know where they are internally with developing a new PlayBook, but my first act as CEO is to either:

A) announce and launch an updated Playbook in the next 6 months

Or

B) stop selling and supporting the old Playbook today

We need them to be focused on driving profits, and keeping the company afloat, not releasing minor updates to a product that has been defunct for quite a while now.
    03-27-14 10:29 AM
    I say keep releasing updates!

Either Update or Stop Supporting Playbook-blackberry-playbook-baseball.jpg
    03-27-14 10:41 AM
    Either release the Kraken or the update of my favourite machine. (PlayBook)

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 11:31 AM
    I'd say support it until they release a new playbook.

Posted via Q10, awaitng a slider.
    MrGabriel likes this.
    03-27-14 11:40 AM
    I don't think you guys understand the point if the post. BlackBerry is burning Twice as much cash as they make. Last quarter revenues were down 25%($1.6b to $1.2b). If that trend continues with tomorrow's announcement blackberry will be spending $860 million a quarter with around $300 million in profit. That is a recipe for going out of business.

All of this is going on and they are still supporting a device that was a failure in the market, and that probably less than 100k people in the world use. That is insane and a great way to go out of business.

I have a Playbook, I'm not against it, but they need to release a new tablet ASAP or stop throwing money out the Window.
    03-27-14 12:28 PM
    I don't think you guys understand the point if the post. BlackBerry is burning Twice as much cash as they make. Last quarter revenues were down 25%($1.6b to $1.2b). If that trend continues with tomorrow's announcement blackberry will be spending $860 million a quarter with around $300 million in profit. That is a recipe for going out of business.

All of this is going on and they are still supporting a device that was a failure in the market, and that probably less than 100k people in the world use. That is insane and a great way to go out of business.

I have a Playbook, I'm not against it, but they need to release a new tablet ASAP or stop throwing money out the Window.
    I guess we will see what their burn arte is tomorrow. I thought I had heard it wad now down to $500 million.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-27-14 04:04 PM
    what is the latest update for playbook? is it 2.1.0.1753
    03-27-14 05:20 PM
    I doubt they're spending much on supporting it now, except maybe borrowing a team occasionally when there's a security update that needs to be done.
    03-27-14 06:18 PM
    They really should update the PlayBook. I have one. And to be quite honest, update aside.M I still love that thing and use it everyday. I create documents with it and I surf the Web, but I really do wish that they would get off their asses and fix it.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 04:30 AM
    The thing is that their deal with Foxconn is that they do not lose money on hardware sales. So I can see Foxconn making a cheap tablet in the future.
    03-31-14 10:19 AM
    They really should update the PlayBook. I have one. And to be quite honest, update aside.M I still love that thing and use it everyday. I create documents with it and I surf the Web, but I really do wish that they would get off their asses and fix it.

Posted via CB10
    Funny that you love the Playbook but you want someone to fix it. Sounds like a marriage.
    03-31-14 10:20 AM
    PlayBook OS 2.0 & 2.1 are officially "unsupported" as of April 2014 according to the BlackBerry Support website...

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:03 PM
    PlayBook OS 2.0 & 2.1 are officially "unsupported" as of April 2014 according to the BlackBerry Support website...

Posted via CB10
    So it appears that they decided to do both.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:10 PM
    http://us.blackberry.com/support/bus...ife-cycle.html

Under the BlackBerry OS tab.

Either this means the end of 2.0/2.1 support on playbook, because a newer version will come in April... OR 2.1 is the last OS on PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:21 PM
    Well, in a way it is a closure, although I expected more.

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-31-14 09:23 PM
    Explains the update they just released a few hours ago. I understand people use it and are upset by it, but the company needs to stop the bleeding.

I'm glad the decision was made. That being said I'd be all for a new tablet being released, I'd go out and buy it on release day.
    03-31-14 09:39 PM
    They did both. Final update and announced the end of support. Happy?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, johnnyuk and milo53 like this.
    04-01-14 07:07 AM
    Explains the update they just released a few hours ago. I understand people use it and are upset by it, but the company needs to stop the bleeding.

I'm glad the decision was made. That being said I'd be all for a new tablet being released, I'd go out and buy it on release day.
    The company is bleeding because of how they treated customers like those who bough the PlayBook. They were promised a lot and delivered on very little of it.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    04-01-14 07:10 AM
    The company is bleeding because of how they treated customers like those who bough the PlayBook. They were promised a lot and delivered on very little of it.

Posted via CB10

False, the company is bleeding money because they make products that most people don't want and the management thought they were invincible.

I want them to release a new PlayBook as much as you, but I can't make enough people buy it to make it worthwhile so I doubt I can convince them to do it.

I'm sorry you are taking this so personally, but what other company supports a product that is as old as the PlayBook?
    04-01-14 09:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    You have it in reverse. They can not support the PB because they are bleeding. The only promise they broke was in failing to provide a BB10 update. I do think they should offer a coupon towards the purchase of a BB10 device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    milo53 likes this.
    04-01-14 09:25 AM
    False, the company is bleeding money because they make products that most people don't want and the management thought they were invincible.

I want them to release a new PlayBook as much as you, but I can't make enough people buy it to make it worthwhile so I doubt I can convince them to do it.

I'm sorry you are taking this so personally, but what other company supports a product that is as old as the PlayBook?
    Oh I don't want a new PlayBook. I wouldn't buy another BlackBerry tablet based on my experience with the PlayBook and the news of today. Only way I would even consider throwing any money at BlackBerry for another tablet is from them to bring some aspects of BB10 to the existing PlayBook, or if they offered in a PlayBook to Z30 trade up program with significant discounts ($100 out of pocket maximum). These clowns no nothing about customer care or retention, and the numbers prove it!

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    04-01-14 12:44 PM
    Oh I don't want a new PlayBook. I wouldn't buy another BlackBerry tablet based on my experience with the PlayBook and the news of today. Only way I would even consider throwing any money at BlackBerry for another tablet is from them to bring some aspects of BB10 to the existing PlayBook, or if they offered in a PlayBook to Z30 trade up program with significant discounts ($100 out of pocket maximum). These clowns no nothing about customer care or retention, and the numbers prove it!

Posted via CB10
    I am not sure why you feel so suited by BlackBerry in this situation.

They have said they can't bring bb10 to the PlayBook because it just doesn't work as it should. The hardware came out three years ago, even if there was new hardware they should not be supporting the original hardware anymore.

The numbers prove that they don't sell devices people don't want to buy. You see the only clown around here. You clearly have no clue what to expect from a corporation or how to run a business.
    04-01-14 06:56 PM
    Ha! Looks like you got both options, op!!

Stop, drop, and roll.
    04-01-14 07:13 PM
    Playbook is that tablet thingy out in the garbage burning barrel since it went into an unrecoverable stack charge state. Will do a fireproof test once snow is gone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    04-01-14 07:26 PM
    I am not sure why you feel so suited by BlackBerry in this situation.

They have said they can't bring bb10 to the PlayBook because it just doesn't work as it should. The hardware came out three years ago, even if there was new hardware they should not be supporting the original hardware anymore.

The numbers prove that they don't sell devices people don't want to buy. You see the only clown around here. You clearly have no clue what to expect from a corporation or how to run a business.
    I expect them to deliver what they promised. They were saying the PlayBook would get Bb10 well after they knew they had to throw 2 GB of RAM in the dev devices and the Z10. They lied to move units and waited until after BB10 was out a few months, to make sure we early adopters got the Z10 too, before they announced it wouldn't work. You clearly know nothing about how companies have to manage customer expectations. I didn't make any of these expectations up, BlackBerry set them with their own words.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 08:03 PM
28 12