BlackBerry and Apple are two companies that are meant for each other. A merger would help them both.

Apple Gets:
    ------------------
    - The QNX kernel, which is just the kind of closed source Unix style software Apple likes. They could replace their BSD kernel with a QNX kernel in all their devices without breaking software.

- BlackBerry's hardware and software patents.

- BlackBerry's security systems and "secure mindshare".

BlackBerry Gets:
    -------------------------

- A chance to survive the impending doom of Windows 10 and every other incentive people have to buy something else. BlackBerry would win customers just by being associated with the Apple brand...

- A strong app ecosystem.

- No reason not to take advantage of the Sony camera stuff Apple uses.

- The ability to focus entirely on devices that have a keyboard.

Together BlackBerry and Apple would be stronger, as they compliment each other in many ways. The combination of iOS and BB10 would be a compelling product for long time users of either operating system. Being able to go the store and choose between a device with a keyboard and a device without, knowing that either has everything you would want from a mobile device, including a cohesive ecosystem with your other hardware, would be fantastic. Furthermore, having a device that can easily be all business or all fun or a bit of both, depending on what YOU want from your experience, is perfect in this era of byod.

I'm not an Apple user or even a fan really, but when I thought about what they are about and what they make for people, it seemed to me that they would do well with the BlackBerry brand and its assets. Both companies stand for quality and, to a degree, luxury, yet both appeal to a wide range of business people and everyday folks as well.

It's a good match and it has more offer BlackBerry and the world than BlackBerry being yet another struggling Android based company.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:13 PM
    Apple gets nothing. They're already wildly successful without bringing anyone else to the party. And before anyone says it, I'm very far from an Apple fan. No interest in their products, at all. I'll stick with my BB.

Richard
    Donvald, sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-15 06:35 PM
    Could start with a nice combo device called the Apple Berry Pi.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 and MikeX74 like this.
    03-05-15 08:20 PM
    Apple would just buy BlackBerry if they wanted. No merger. I think everyone is just waiting for them to either die off and buy the parts they want for cheap, or see if they really have something worth buying them for. Prem will decide when and what happens to BlackBerry. He has the company by the short and curlys. I think they will get bought at some point buy a major player, and whoever buys them will regret not buying them for the price that it could have been bought for in October 2013.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 10:01 PM
    Apple gets nothing. They're already wildly successful without bringing anyone else to the party.
    Apple would still like to make inroads in enterprise and likely wouldn't stop with IBM to do so. But BlackBerry needs to repair itself to the point where it's an attractive acquisition. Right now they're still like a fish out of water.
    03-05-15 11:08 PM
    $737 billion companies (like Apple) do not merge with $5.6 billion companies (like BlackBerry). As mentioned earlier, if Apple wanted to, it could easily buy BlackBerry outright with a fraction of the $178 billion it has in cash.

Posted via CB10
    anon(2313227), JeepBB and r0k like this.
    03-07-15 05:49 PM
    Apple gets nothing. They're already wildly successful without bringing anyone else to the party. And before anyone says it, I'm very far from an Apple fan. No interest in their products, at all. I'll stick with my BB.

Richard
    Yep. It's pretty simple really.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:51 PM
    BlackBerry and Apple are two companies that are meant for each other. A merger would help them both.

Apple Gets:
    ------------------
    - The QNX kernel, which is just the kind of closed source Unix style software Apple likes. They could replace their BSD kernel with a QNX kernel in all their devices without breaking software.

- BlackBerry's hardware and software patents.

- BlackBerry's security systems and "secure mindshare".

BlackBerry Gets:
    -------------------------

- A chance to survive the impending doom of Windows 10 and every other incentive people have to buy something else. BlackBerry would win customers just by being associated with the Apple brand...

- A strong app ecosystem.

- No reason not to take advantage of the Sony camera stuff Apple uses.

- The ability to focus entirely on devices that have a keyboard.

Together BlackBerry and Apple would be stronger, as they compliment each other in many ways. The combination of iOS and BB10 would be a compelling product for long time users of either operating system. Being able to go the store and choose between a device with a keyboard and a device without, knowing that either has everything you would want from a mobile device, including a cohesive ecosystem with your other hardware, would be fantastic. Furthermore, having a device that can easily be all business or all fun or a bit of both, depending on what YOU want from your experience, is perfect in this era of byod.

I'm not an Apple user or even a fan really, but when I thought about what they are about and what they make for people, it seemed to me that they would do well with the BlackBerry brand and its assets. Both companies stand for quality and, to a degree, luxury, yet both appeal to a wide range of business people and everyday folks as well.

It's a good match and it has more offer BlackBerry and the world than BlackBerry being yet another struggling Android based company.

Posted via CB10
    Only if Apple dumps iOS in favour of BB10 for Obvious Reasons. If not, those arrogant pricks can blow off.

Posted by Q5
    03-07-15 09:27 PM
    I think BB10 would look nice on an apple phone, as IOS frustrates me for some reason, and I'm a nerdy guy, but maybe that's just me. I don't know though, BlackBerry is really starting a comeback, and I love how they are their own company and how they are Canadian, if that changed I would be pretty disappointed. But maybe that's because I'm a crazy day of theirs...

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:12 AM
    I've never used iOS, so I don't how it differs from BlackBerry 10. When I made this thread I was thinking that the end user would be able to choose which UI paradigm to use, either iOS or BlackBerry 10 or some combination of both based on their choices in the settings menu. Ultimately a lot of how we use these devices is just where stuff is and how we access it, so having two presets and an advanced mode (where you can change each part of a preset) would be nice for people. "Options are awesome", I always say!

In my mind's eye, I see iOS running on a QNX kernel rather than a BSD kernel and iOS incorporating much of the BlackBerry software, such as the hub and bbm. And then, like I mentioned above, the UI could be either like iOS or like BlackBerry 10.

If you buy an iPhone the iOS UI preset is automatically selected. And, if you buy a BlackBerry the BlackBerry 10 UI preset is automatically selected. However, you could change it to your liking in the settings menu.

To remain successful, obviously Apple doesn't need BlackBerry, but having BlackBerry would broaden Apple's reach and increase its credibility in the corporate and security sector. Conceptually, they fit well together, though Mr. Chen seems to be changing BlackBerry's traditionally closed approach to doing business. However, QNX is as "closed source" as it gets, so unless he plans on opening the source for it, he's basically the pot calling the kettle black when talks about Apple being "closed". A closed source QNX kernel is great for the world though, provided it's secrets can be kept and, as a result, it's security features can remain effective. As much as I like GPL / open source software, the world needs software of all types to meet a multitude of needs.

So... at the very least, QNX would be good for Apple and they would probably love it.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:38 AM
    Apple would still like to make inroads in enterprise and likely wouldn't stop with IBM to do so. But BlackBerry needs to repair itself to the point where it's an attractive acquisition. Right now they're still like a fish out of water.
    Does anyone know the relative enterprise sales numbers? I'm guessing Apple is selling more, possibly a lot more, to enterprise than is Blackberry, especially BB10. How many total sales of BB10 relative to iOS? Seriously? The number I heard was that after the release of the 6 and 6+ Apple sold on average 30,000 phones per hour, 24x7 for the quarter. That is about 1 million phones every day and a half. How long does it take to sell a million BB10 phones? And Apple would sell BB10 phones why?
    sentimentGX4 and r0k like this.
    03-08-15 04:01 AM
    I've never used iOS, so I don't how it differs from BlackBerry 10. When I made this thread I was thinking that the end user would be able to choose which UI paradigm to use, either iOS or BlackBerry 10 or some combination of both based on their choices in the settings menu.

Posted via CB10
    If you want an idea on how superior BB10 is versus iOS. Here's a simple example.
    iOS is 2007
    BB10 is 2015

BB10 is far more advanced and technologically superior to iOS. And it's a lot easier to learn and navigate. Basically if you haven't used BB10 before, then iOS may seem new compared to BBRY's older OS. But if you have used BB10 and understand its powerful interface, trying iOS would only irritate you to the point, you will want to take your iPhone and smash it against the wall.

Apple is very lucky due to there successful marketing tactics. Those tactics helped push out a lot of iPhones sales. But also Apple is unfair to carriers, forcing them to sign Rip-Off contracts, where Carriers can be penalized owing in the Billions, if not enough iPhones are sold at a given time frame.

BlackBerry's MAJOR issue is perception. People view the company as BBOS and not BB10. Marketing, Marketing & Marketing. Carrier Support, Carrier Support, Carrier Support.
    BlackBerry's hardware division is more important than people would like to admit, because its the only division that can get the company profitable faster and keep profits sustainable while they build up there software money generating business model. Hardware is also the front line, what people see. With that it helps sell the company's goods. Eventually not worrying about hardware dragging the company down, if for some reason hardware happens to be weak a quarter or two.
    03-08-15 09:08 AM
    If you want an idea on how superior BB10 is versus iOS. Here's a simple example.
    iOS is 2007
    BB10 is 2015

BB10 is far more advanced and technologically superior to iOS. And it's a lot easier to learn and navigate. Basically if you haven't used BB10 before, then iOS may seem new compared to BBRY's older OS. But if you have used BB10 and understand its powerful interface, trying iOS would only irritate you to the point, you will want to take your iPhone and smash it against the wall.

Apple is very lucky due to there successful marketing tactics. Those tactics helped push out a lot of iPhones sales. But also Apple is unfair to carriers, forcing them to sign Rip-Off contracts, where Carriers can be penalized owing in the Billions, if not enough iPhones are sold at a given time frame.

BlackBerry's MAJOR issue is perception. People view the company as BBOS and not BB10. Marketing, Marketing & Marketing. Carrier Support, Carrier Support, Carrier Support.
    BlackBerry's hardware division is more important than people would like to admit, because its the only division that can get the company profitable faster and keep profits sustainable while they build up there software money generating business model. Hardware is also the front line, what people see. With that it helps sell the company's goods. Eventually not worrying about hardware dragging the company down, if for some reason hardware happens to be weak a quarter or two.
    No, this is just almost totally inaccurate in my opinion. I have an iPhone 6 and a Q10. There is one main reason for the Q10 - the keyboard. It has a few nice features in mail but marginally nice. The iPhone 6 is a mobile computing device that lets me access the same files from my desktop to tablet to phone. It has a vast array of productivity apps that I use. The Q10 is a very nice 2007 phone with mail and a few extras in my experience.
    mikeo007 and Donvald like this.
    03-08-15 03:04 PM
    No, this is just almost totally inaccurate in my opinion. I have an iPhone 6 and a Q10. There is one main reason for the Q10 - the keyboard. It has a few nice features in mail but marginally nice. The iPhone 6 is a mobile computing device that lets me access the same files from my desktop to tablet to phone. It has a vast array of productivity apps that I use. The Q10 is a very nice 2007 phone with mail and a few extras in my experience.
    So you haven't used 10.3 and Blend, right?
    :-)

Don't even compare iP6 with Passport. Yes, it's just those apps where your iPhone shines. I've got the Android ones on my Passport, no dramas.

Back on topic,

Apple is consumer-oriented, with some efforts towards enterprise because their devices have been proven popular there and they smelled the bacon. Their enterprise use is supported by their popularity in the consumer space, not because of security or dedicated enterprise features.

BlackBerry always has been enterprise oriented, whereas success of their adventures into the consumer space has been less than ideal, mainly due to BBOS mindset and lack of popular consumer apps.

Therefore, if Apple wanted to buy BlackBerry to get anything out of it, they would have done so already. They BBOS stigma is what they don't want, despite the superiority of the BB10 OS.

:-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-08-15 06:30 PM
    John Chen said NO!!!

With diplomatic Passport
    03-08-15 06:52 PM
    No, does Blend even work without BES? But it doesn't matter, yes it is the apps. Thats what a iPhone 6 is, a mobile computer; with software. I don't have any Android apps on my Q10, lots on my Moto X, but the Google store doesn't work with the Q10 does it? Apples success in enterprise is certainly the result of their consumer success which came at a time when a lot of companies figured out that they could save some money by having people buy their own phones. But it is what it is, and I don't see it changing. BB10 doesn't really seem to have good business apps, much less consumer apps.
    03-08-15 06:54 PM
    No, does Blend even work without BES? But it doesn't matter, yes it is the apps. Thats what a iPhone 6 is, a mobile computer; with software. I don't have any Android apps on my Q10, lots on my Moto X, but the Google store doesn't work with the Q10 does it? Apples success in enterprise is certainly the result of their consumer success which came at a time when a lot of companies figured out that they could save some money by having people buy their own phones. But it is what it is, and I don't see it changing. BB10 doesn't really seem to have good business apps, much less consumer apps.
    Oh Snap...! ;-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    03-08-15 07:21 PM
    but the Google store doesn't work with the Q10 does it?
    Nope...

Oh wait, yes it does: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...oading-985344/

Richard
    03-09-15 09:52 AM
    No thanks! I don't want any Crapple.
    03-09-15 10:43 AM
    Did you read what you linked to? It is a patch that only partially works; if at all. Sorry, I'm not dealing with stuff like that. No time for it.
    03-09-15 12:23 PM
    Did you read what you linked to? It is a patch that only partially works; if at all. Sorry, I'm not dealing with stuff like that. No time for it.
    I'm sorry that it's too complicated for you to even try; so much easier to just dismiss it. It works for quite a lot, but you wouldn't know, since you won't try it. I understand. It's easier to complain.

Did I read it..jeez...it's installed on my phone. I am using it.

Richard
    03-09-15 12:35 PM
    And Apple would sell BB10 phones why?
    They wouldn't. Apple would acquire BlackBerry for the patents and intellectual property in BB10.
    03-10-15 07:50 AM
    I'm sorry that it's too complicated for you to even try; so much easier to just dismiss it. It works for quite a lot, but you wouldn't know, since you won't try it. I understand. It's easier to complain.

Did I read it..jeez...it's installed on my phone. I am using it.

Richard
    And it says some programs work, some don't. It isn't too complicated, it is a waste of time. I don't have time to mess with it, nor do most people.
    03-10-15 08:02 AM
    They wouldn't. Apple would acquire BlackBerry for the patents and intellectual property in BB10.
    Does Apple need any of BlackBerries patents? What "intellectual" property does BB10 contain that they can't replicate if they wanted too? (Virtual Keyboard is brought up a lot.. and BlackBerry doesn't even own it)
    03-10-15 08:23 AM
    Dropped IPhone and its broken!!!

With diplomatic Passport
    Tatwi likes this.
    03-10-15 03:13 PM
33 12