09-05-13 07:55 AM
52 123
tools
    Confidence check here. Honeymoon stage is over, I'm beginning to sense that some people are getting disillusioned with his leadership. Still willing to defend him, or do you feel he should get the boot? And why?

Thanks!

Z10 any day

*Edit*

Adding this just to make the discussion more interesting...

We know that Heins had very little resources to work with, and that BB is already in a very deep hole when he took over as CEO. But do you feel he is doing ALL that he can, or is he not doing enough?
    Last edited by 2Peks1Bird; 08-25-13 at 12:49 PM.
    08-25-13 12:20 PM
    They were disillusioned months ago. Right around the time of the earnings report.

It appears there's a lot of news coming out in the next few weeks (release of cross-platform BBM, IG, 10.2 release) that might actually restore some of that lost faith.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    08-25-13 12:25 PM
    There have been some missteps, but I wonder if anyone could have done that much better with the things that BBRY faced trying to get back into the game.
    mk2234 and MasterOfBinary like this.
    08-25-13 12:30 PM
    If the Instagram rumor is true, he will start to slowly shut down his critics.

The battle is still not won but he will at least win a round.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:31 PM
    Since the 1st time I saw him talking I thought he was the wrong choice.

Q10
    Bonnie Bonzai and CHIP72 like this.
    08-25-13 12:34 PM
    I won't lie... I couldn't bear to watch the BB10 launch show... Thor was way too awkward and cheesy and I think that hurt bb10 sales a little bit. Nonetheless he seems to know what he's doing in terms of moving forward... he practically made Siemens the success it is.

Only thing... kill the mobile computing dream... let's just focus on some apps first

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    08-25-13 12:36 PM
    I'll give him a shot. Given the "inheritance" he got, I believe he had little room to maneuver.
    mk2234 and eldricho like this.
    08-25-13 12:41 PM
    Few years ago, when Heins was added in and mixed with the BlackBerry mixture, we all hoped that the result would have been great. Unfortunately, except a few tasty changes such as BB10 OS experience, the meal is still the same. Very few major adds-on, for instance the apps part too poor in taste with a few exceptional titles or the salty marketing.
    Today, BlackBerry still see red and must fix its dish as soon as possible to be more appealing.
    Too much Heins kills the meal.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10.
    MidnightSociety likes this.
    08-25-13 12:47 PM
    In my thinking, he's got to be on the bubble.

He's gone out and been the face of Blackberry to the media and achieved mixed results. I like his open demeanor but this must be tempered with the realities of the situation. Making statements like "tens of millions of Q10 sales" sets expectations and unless you're absolutely positive, you don't say things like that.

I'm also thinking his recent silence is either; he's getting professional media training or he's been told to STFU unless he's got real news to share.

I think Blackberry has done all the right things but they thought they could rest on their laurels and chill for a quarter. It's completely clear that no tech company can take a rest and proof they need to step up their game even further.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 08-25-13 at 08:28 PM.
    08-25-13 12:58 PM
    Problem is, who do you replace him with?

An out sider or another internal person?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:14 PM
    Problem is, who do you replace him with?

An out sider or another internal person?

Posted via CB10
    Steve Ballmer LOL kidding!

Z10 any day
    08-25-13 01:22 PM
    I don't think it's time to replace him -YET. He's certainly not Steve Jobs or Bill Gates (who both pioneered and ran companies they built around their own products), and it shows for sure. I lost a great deal of respect for Thor when he boned us on the PlayBook (which I practically wasted 400 dollars on, which I guess it's my own stupidity. I supported a company I THOUGHT cared about it's more than reasonable and patient followers, and got bit in the *** for it.

Paying developers to get up to 10,000 dollars or whatever to risk making an app for the new platform was a genius idea, however it probably would have been smarter to set aside X amount of dollars to companies like King, Facebook (for a better facebook right out of the hole, and Instagram), twitter, ESPN, NFL, etc to code native software and pay them to support it until it gets rolling and becomes profitable on it's own, or dies and gets buried. Definitely would rather see those companies get money to get the prospective smartphone buyers interest than a stupid clock app or one you can put a mustache on a picture with.

The advertising for BB10 has been absolutely abysmal at absolute best. I don't know if it was an afterthought right out of the hole, or BBRY just expected it to take off without advertising, but it didn't. And it shows.

Carriers pay commission based off of phone sales. BlackBerry should have been paying the reps at the chain stores a little extra to try and convince a consumer to buy a BB10 device, not immediately shove a galaxy or iphone in their faces and send them out the door with a sweet commission check hanging in the balance. They should have also had the carriers have 3-4 BB10 devices side by side, even if it's just 2 Z's and 2 Q's, rather than 15 iphones, 10 galaxy s4's, and 1 z10, and a plastic unusable demo Q10.
    08-25-13 01:24 PM
    I would love to see some Management shake-ups at BB. I would welcome some change. I do, however, think Thor did a decent job of it. He isn't the most exciting speaker but we don't need a Steve Jobs as much as we need a good, strong leader right now. That may not be Thor but he isn't that bad of a choice either. I put the blame on his advisors and management team as much as it was him for trusting them. The whole team needs a shakeup but if Thor was still CEO it still would be an improvement to me.
    08-25-13 01:28 PM
    Given the difficult situation he was parachuted into, I think he has done a fantastic job! Look how he has managed to increase the cash on the balance sheet!
    08-25-13 01:30 PM
    I look at it like an NFL team, they're stagnant and everyone is down on them for a while, nobody wants to place any bets on them to win anything, then they fire their GM, Coach, etc... And all of the sudden they're super bowl favorites.
    08-25-13 01:33 PM
    Oh, and another thing that really turned people off of BB10 was the lack of backward compatibility with BBOS devices.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-25-13 01:44 PM
    i don't like this guy being at helm of BB,but thats emotional thought of BB fan,practically he is still the best guy to save blackberry,the BB10 lauch is one of them .
    08-25-13 02:10 PM
    If BBRY remains public, his days are numbered.....
    Only way he can survive being a CEO is if it goes private.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry and phuoc like this.
    08-25-13 02:25 PM

How? Instagram is not going to bring people flocking from other systems to BlackBerry in numbers great enough to make a whit of difference. All Instagram will do is stop the bleeding in the established user base and even then it may not be enough.

To the question, No! Mr Heins should not remain at the helm. As charitable to him as I have been there is no denying the his leadership has been for the most part unremarkable. If I had to grade him he'd get a high "D"
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-25-13 02:58 PM
    Anyone who knows what Heins has accomplished to date will support him. It takes more than a few quarters to turn a company around and re structuring is ongoing for the balance of the year. So far so good. The 2nd quarter will probably be a bit soft on the sales revenue side and with some cash burn, mostly due to BES 10 device sales and service not taking off yet. Enterprise traction should happen in 3rd and 4th quarters, along with benefits from BBM cross platform, A30 release and a new flagship phone by year end.
    08-25-13 03:07 PM
    Anyone who knows what Heins has accomplished to date will support him. It takes more than a few quarters to turn a company around
    How do you define "a few" because January 2012 to present is just shy of SEVEN calendar quarters?
    08-25-13 03:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Instagram will shut down his critics? I think the contrary, if he makes a big deal out of the release of Instagram, his critics will laugh. It will make BB look so out of touch and out of date. So 2011! A deal for all these alleged forthcoming major apps should have been hashed out before the BB10 launch.

No matter what new app is released in the near future, I guarantee you that no one will care or be impressed outside of those who currently have BB10 devices. It's not anything new or exciting about such new app announcements because they have been out months if not years on other platforms. It's sad actually that BB is just getting them now. If the public already had a negative view of BB 10, then the BIG announcement of Instagram will cement the pity they have on the platform and BB's future. It's not going to help the platform.
    08-25-13 03:33 PM
    Given the difficult situation he was parachuted into, I think he has done a fantastic job! Look how he has managed to increase the cash on the balance sheet!
    Yep, thousands of job cuts will do that! (sadly)
    08-25-13 03:43 PM
    Heins might be a good COO but as CEO in this business you have to have some flash and selling skills. Unfortunately he doesn't. The first time I saw him I thought this is not going to go well. I said once before .. get Vivik as the front man and someone with some organizing / planning skills in behind.
    08-25-13 03:47 PM
    Without knowing what his plan he presented to the board was, it's unfair to say he's got to go. Ceo's are paid to think long term and he most definitely had a business plan laid out and only him and the board know where we are at with it.
    It's a daunting task, but if he's on schedule and his plan is where it's suppose to be at, let him ride it out.
    Time will tell... and if he is replaced it has to be someone from outside the company, and a brand name, someone with some clout in the tech world. Someone who can bring instant credibility to the company.
    08-25-13 03:54 PM
52 123