I do not agree that BlackBerry has not brought good products to the market, the PP is an incredible device and outstanding and different from all and everything on the market - this was a very good and courageous step, but more need to follow and while building the security platforms and sw-business continue making such devices ' slider and update or classic 2

The PP keyboard is revolutionary, no body has brought this type of innovation to the market since years!!!

Posted via CB10
    But it is not selling well. It is not helping BlackBerry to meet to its 10 Million device goal. Neither is the Classic. They are sales failures. So no matter how great or technologically advanced you think those devices are, majority of people buying smartphones do not agree with your view of the Passport.

Posted via Z30
    09-13-15 09:10 AM
    The problem with bb10 is it has no ability to kill apps that are actually draining the battery. Bb10 should warn users when the battery is decreasing by more than 10% an hour and offer options to avoid it. Either by postponing tasks or even telling the user to turn down the brightness or stop using apps.

Posted via CB10
    Minimize the app and click the X? Stops it for me all the time. How is the OS supposed to decide if an app should or should not be running? If you started the app, then the assumption would be you want it to run. I wouldn't want the OS harassing me every hour asking me if I want Pandora to keep playing.

Posted via Z30
    09-13-15 09:14 AM
    But it is not selling well. It is not helping BlackBerry to meet to its 10 Million device goal. Neither is the Classic. They are sales failures. So no matter how great or technologically advanced you think those devices are, majority of people buying smartphones do not agree with your view of the Passport.

Posted via Z30
    Does anybody have figures on the sales of PP, Classic...?

That's marketing of course and the people being buying what they're used to, it's a hard way back into that lost market and the carriers selling phones at least in Switzerland mostly have no idea that there is a new OS and what the new OS is and can...

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 11:07 AM
    Does anybody have figures on the sales of PP, Classic...?

That's marketing of course and the people being buying what they're used to, it's a hard way back into that lost market and the carriers selling phones at least in Switzerland mostly have no idea that there is a new OS and what the new OS is and can...

Posted via CB10
    The quarterly numbers are all we have. Chen has said the Classic is outselling the Passport 2 to 1, the total number of phones sold in the quarters is only about an average of a Million every quarter since the Passport launched. We know some of those Million were still Z10/Z30/Q10 because people here were buying plenty during the price reduced sales.

Posted via Z30
    09-13-15 06:31 PM
    The Question should be did BlackBerry Deserve Chen?

The only two Companies making money on Hardware are Apple with 92% and Samsung with 15% ( yes more than 100% do to negative profit) . But Chen hasn't given up yet, even though they are making a loss on it, just to save what's left of their image and sell Software.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/10/te...s-on.html?_r=0

Skip to the ninth Paragraph for more information.
    09-13-15 06:53 PM

Posted via Z30
    Marketing failures? Or App Gap victims...?

:-)

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    09-13-15 07:37 PM
    Marketing failures? Or App Gap victims...?

:-)

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    Yes!

But also niche within a niche!

Posted via Z30
    09-13-15 08:23 PM
    I do not agree that BlackBerry has not brought good products to the market, the PP is an incredible device and outstanding and different from all and everything on the market - this was a very good and courageous step, but more need to follow and while building the security platforms and sw-business continue making such devices ' slider and update or classic 2

The PP keyboard is revolutionary, no body has brought this type of innovation to the market since years!!!

Posted via CB10
    Yes PK are incredible devices. But they should have also released high end full touch BB10 phones too. Because the majority do not want PK phones. So make and sell both.

At least continue the Z30 evolution with Z40/Z50 etc.,

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 09:12 AM
    The way into the market was once said would have been a cost of 80 million $ for webOS...

I guess BlackBerry has a lesser steep way back and if Chen is playing it well and not doing what Leo Apotheker at HP did right after aquring webOS; focusing only on SW; he might be the knight to make it right - I would say, let's have a ball game and give it a chance...

It's gona cost a lot but we're rolling up from behind packed with great features and knowlede into a market, where security and privacy is becoming more and more important to customers...

Just don't let the hardware go downhill and keep OS 10 going further with or without droid and bits and pieces can be fought back again...

Me thinks and hopes

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 06:24 PM
    Yes, he deserves it! Don't forget that he jumped in/on a sinking ship!!!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    09-14-15 10:51 PM
    You got that Backwards. IOS and Android Apps kill the battery. BB10 allows you to take total control and to kill off apps you do not want running. So yes BB10 has the ability to kill apps. Quite easily accessible though swiping down and going into device monitor.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but there is no way to shut down the Android runtime and EVEN if you don't use it, it drains battery just by being ready to be used; I would love to have a PURE BB10 running in my phone

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 11:45 PM
    It got that company bought, but they really didn't do much for the customers that were there when he came in. Coasted while trying to figure out what to do.
    I am not sure what happened to Sybase's customers "that were there", however Sybase went on to do good things. Their database drives many retail point of sale and accounting systems for SMBs and larger hospitality systems. Quickbooks, Micros, etc. All use Sybase. Lots more. Though they are now owned by SAP. Their technology is widely used in specific verticals even if they did not go on to make billions.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-15-15 12:13 AM
    I am not sure what happened to Sybase's customers "that were there", however Sybase went on to do good things. Their database drives many retail point of sale and accounting systems for SMBs and larger hospitality systems. Quickbooks, Micros, etc. All use Sybase. Lots more. Though they are now owned by SAP. Their technology is widely used in specific verticals even if they did not go on to make billions.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    There is an interview with Chen just before the SAP deal closed where he admits to just keep the existing business running, while trying to find the next big thing. They latched onto a vague idea, and lucked into something that fit it with a group that he was about to lay off. Just Google it. Great read, but scary at the same time.

Posted via Z30
    09-15-15 08:31 AM
    As I stated in other post, I don't know if Chen deserves to be a CEO, what I know is that he is VERY smart. He accepted the job and NO MATTER what the outcome is, he is going to be a winer. If BlackBerry sinks, nobody would blame him for that, "BlackBerry was sunken already", on the other hand, if BlackBerry raises, everybody is going to claim he is a hero. Very well played.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Batibreaker; 09-15-15 at 10:54 AM.
    09-15-15 10:42 AM
    There is an interview with Chen just before the SAP deal closed where he admits to just keep the existing business running, while trying to find the next big thing. They latched onto a vague idea, and lucked into something that fit it with a group that he was about to lay off. Just Google it. Great read, but scary at the same time.

Posted via Z30
    Sybase also moved into mobile data storage for the cellular telcos as I recall. ie. Use their RDBM system to store and manage all the SMS data, etc. Perhaps systems they custom built -- not really sure. That was a new direction Chen led them in as I read/recall. I mean you had a company that was basically done, and it ended up having a purpose for its tech. They evolved and continued on.

I will find that interview. Ok.

But re-living the smartphone glory days was likely never in the cards. Coming into BB, Chen's role was to find something else for BlackBerry to do from the start. But to also continue the handset business as long as is possible in case it leads somewhere, and helps them sell their other tech, etc. Once you close and lose the device expertise it must be pretty hard to ramp it up again. In the end, what we might see is nothing but BlackBerry 10 handsets, being sold into highly secure environments, as part of BES deals.
    09-15-15 02:00 PM
    Yes!

But also niche within a niche!

Posted via Z30
    Yes!

Niche, but niche with potential backlog demand, potential for (re-)expansion and old-time reminiscences, once the app problem is fixed. Let's see how that slider will do...

Definitely a differentiator device.

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-15-15 07:07 PM
    Chen said, you might just be one device away from success. Let's hope for the best. Many people on other sites have expressed interest, and a looking into buying... :-)

southlander and app_Developer like this.
    09-15-15 07:09 PM
    Chen said, you might just be one device away from success. Let's hope for the best. Many people on other sites have expressed interest, and a looking into buying... :-)

•   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   •
    That's my hope. I really hope the slider is a hit and leads to new things.
    09-15-15 07:29 PM

Posted via Z30
    The overwhelming majority of smart phone buyers never even knew the Passport existed.

Regardless of any other claim or theory... this fact alone insured the Passport had zero chance of success.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 10:08 AM
    The overwhelming majority of smart phone buyers never even knew the Passport existed.

Regardless of any other claim or theory... this fact alone insured the Passport had zero chance of success.

Posted via CB10
    They need smarketing or something ... $mart marketing... :-)

09-17-15 07:25 PM
95 ... 234