BlackBerry has made a very clear statement and followed through by becoming more business oriented.

Cluttering the site with reviews of free games and the like, isn't really on the same page as the security first, business flow second mantra....

Perhaps it's time to follow the leader.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 09:03 AM
    Well, there isn't much to talk about, really.
    08-04-14 09:05 AM
    CrackBerry is a fan site, that depends on HITS for revenues. Reviews of free games gits hits.... security and business mantra does not.

There is a section here for the "Business" stuff...
    08-04-14 09:07 AM
    Maybe the free games shouldn't get first page placement? I'm going to highly doubt the current batch of BlackBerry "fans" kept their phones because the free games are more important than what they actually need their phone for.

And if that really is your argument..(hits).. come up with some stats to prove it.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-04-14 09:09 AM
    Maybe the free games shouldn't get first page placement? I'm going to highly doubt the current batch of BlackBerry "fans" kept their phones because the free games are more important than what they actually need their phone for.

And if that really is your argument..(hits).. come up with some stats to prove it.

Posted via CB10
    Or you could post stats to support your stance. From what I can tell by posters, there is definitely a significant purely consumer group here. (caveat: posters form only a small part of total visitors).

What front page articles do you propose to see, starting tomorrow? Specific, relevant examples would be good.
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    08-04-14 09:42 AM
    Agree with OP. Drill deeper into enterprise application and opportunities. Healthcare. Transportation security. Trucking. Logistics. Tracking inbound shipping containers on cargo ships as they enter ports. First responder, police and fire uses. Why not dual sim and push to talk for first responder dispatch networks using cell tower infrastructure instead of VHF-UHF radio? Why did Blackberry trick up the police cars years ago anyway.
    Think out of the box CB. Enough useless game reviews.

Posted by BlackBerry Q10-SQN100-5 with v10.2.1.2977 on AT&T
    CerveloJohn and allisos like this.
    08-04-14 10:13 AM
    How about pages relevant to the core customer base that Blackberry is looking to grow. Why on earth would you cater to the audience that is no longer supported by the mother ship?

Stating the "current" audience, is akin to saying "that's the way we've always done it." I'm merely suggesting that CB lead by example and help correct the negative biased against BB by showing what is can do in the business environment, instead of reviewing every free game that happens to be worth a couple hours of time wasting.

Suggested articles:

BBCS (BlackBeryy Cloud Services) vs Hosted BES10

How to set up your family as a small business for secure data

IoT: Specific applications outside of vehicles and phones/tablets

The best way to utilize (insert feature here - such as Calendars)

Making the most of google apps for business, or office 365, or in house server options.

Survey: How do you use your BB for productivity? What do you think you do better than everyone else? What do you wish you could do better?
    Do you make money with your phone?

Or you could post stats to support your stance. From what I can tell by posters, there is definitely a significant purely consumer group here. (caveat: posters form only a small part of total visitors).

What front page articles do you propose to see, starting tomorrow? Specific, relevant examples would be good.
    Last edited by allisos; 08-04-14 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-04-14 10:20 AM
    Yes I don't like games reviews. Why would someone watch a review for a game? Dunno just saying. Maybe scratching their heads abit more for some suggestions and showing some facts after the latest blackberry board decisions or making the people understand things like IoT or EMM, which are clearly what Blackberry is moving towards, I mean there's no even a QNX section in the app (I dunno about the website). Yes, as a fan site, I guess they can do much more than what we r seeing.

Powered by Blackberry
    08-04-14 12:07 PM
    What? Stop reporting on free games? As a business man, it doesn't make sense to miss out on free things. ;-)

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-04-14 01:13 PM
    How about pages relevant to the core customer base that Blackberry is looking to grow. Why on earth would you cater to the audience that is no longer supported by the mother ship?

Stating the "current" audience, is akin to saying "that's the way we've always done it." I'm merely suggesting that CB lead by example and help correct the negative biased against BB by showing what is can do in the business environment, instead of reviewing every free game that happens to be worth a couple hours of time wasting.

Suggested articles:

Making the most of google apps for business, or office 365, or in house server options.

Survey: How do you use your BB for productivity? What do you think you do better than everyone else? What do you wish you could do better?
    Start writing and submit your articles.... they invited everyone to do this and how it can be done. I'm sure Bla1ze would appreciate all the help he can get. Of coarse I would first do a quick search to make sue there haven't been articles already on the topics you've suggested. Or you can submit a post in the forums or create your own survey... it it strikes a cord with the community, they will sometimes add it to the main page.

But again CrackBerry is a fan site with a pretty small budget.... especially if dead weight Kevin is still on the payroll
    08-04-14 02:15 PM

Suggested articles:

Not bad. Decent ideas, actually. Holler at Bla1ze; he's receptive.

Better yet, I second the idea of doing some write-ups yourself.
    TGR1 likes this.
    08-04-14 03:41 PM
    Hey guys.. let's give the newbies a little slack!
    They'll "get it" once they're here for a while!
    08-04-14 04:22 PM

Suggested articles:

Not bad ideas at all. However, there's a fine balance that has to be met there. You start getting too deep into Enterprise stuff and you're pretty much going to bore people to sleep plus, a lot of the the Enterprise stuff simply isn't obtainable by normal folks and those who are required to know it, already have their resources for it and they're certainly not going to be CrackBerry.

IoT is a bit hard because as it stands right now, even BlackBerry hasn't given a direct, clear vision on what that all entails for them and quite frankly, they're still working it out. They've not even announced their partners entirely yet.

BES Cloud isn't complete yet, once it's ACTUALLY fully available we'll be looking at that. Right now, it's just in preview and still very much subject to change. It's something we're watching and waiting for. I actually have several devices of my own set up and running on it, including iOS and Android along with 5 BB10 devices. Def. not ignoring it, there's just too much that isn't final yet.

On top of that, we'll be looking for more 'Enterprise' people soon, not only for BlackBerry but for all of Mobile Nations sites including iMore, Android Central and CrackBerry. We'll have more on that later, so keep an eye out if you feel as though you might be the know it all in Enterprise.

Also, just to be clear. The majority of our traffic still comes from the consumer sector - https://www.quantcast.com/crackberry..._US#!interests Enterprise is creeping up though and we've always rolled with BlackBerry. When things are bad for them, it's bad for us. When things are good for them, it's good for us. This time around is no, different and we'll adapt where we need to.
    08-04-14 04:45 PM
    Not bad ideas at all. However, there's a fine balance that has to be met there. You start getting too deep into Enterprise stuff and you're pretty much going to bore people to sleep plus, a lot of the the Enterprise stuff simply isn't obtainable by normal folks and those who are required to know it, already have their resources for it and they're certainly not going to be CrackBerry.

IoT is a bit hard because as it stands right now, even BlackBerry hasn't given a direct, clear vision on what that all entails for them and quite frankly, they're still working it out. They've not even announced their partners entirely yet.

BES Cloud isn't complete yet, once it's ACTUALLY fully available we'll be looking at that. Right now, it's just in preview and still very much subject to change. It's something we're watching and waiting for. I actually have several devices of my own set up and running on it, including iOS and Android along with 5 BB10 devices. Def. not ignoring it, there's just too much that isn't final yet.

On top of that, we'll be looking for more 'Enterprise' people soon, not only for BlackBerry but for all of Mobile Nations sites including iMore, Android Central and CrackBerry. We'll have more on that later, so keep an eye out if you feel as though you might be the know it all in Enterprise.

Also, just to be clear. The majority of our traffic still comes from the consumer sector - https://www.quantcast.com/crackberry..._US#!interests Enterprise is creeping up though and we've always rolled with BlackBerry. When things are bad for them, it's bad for us. When things are good for them, it's good for us. This time around is no, different and we'll adapt where we need to.
    I suppose I was suggesting a shift in the balance. Seems strange trying to read how "secure" the platform is, in between articles on addictive games, and phone case deals.

IoT specifically is indeed a strange animal, as no one has clear direction, and everyone is jockeying to pounce in the direction the market dictates.

I run a couple businesses, and I do all my own "IT" work if you could call it that. It's more like experimenting with tech toys. I'm currently using BES cloud, but I find it limits the functionality compared to what you can do if you had your own server. It's not that easy to find summarized info on these subjects. You have to sift through many pages, and even training for software. I think that may limit the small business exposure. Clear defined descriptions of services would help customers identify themselves as a customer, no? I look forward to more info on their products(software services)

Although I like sharing / teaching... I also enjoy learning even more. It's difficult to find the information I need to accomplish what I'm looking to do. As a small business owner, I don't exactly have time to entertain learning platforms, or even speaking to various "partners" just to find someone / something to help me get my work flow set up. The US has a tremendous resource of small businesses, and its an untapped market. Even families.... if someone made BES cloud on easy mode... you could have families have their data protected. if it was inexpensive, who wouldn't want that?

I understand that consumers drive the revenue, so you must keep the cash flowing. In all of my activities I try to predict or make my best educated guess as to what the future holds. I think Crackberry is reacting to market activity, but is neglecting their ability to affect the market influence public opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's crackberry's responsibility or even they have the sole capability to change the media bias out there.... but you can see a clear difference in how JC communicates the core values of BlackBerry and projects their future activities with the article demographic here.

It's not just cb either. Look at BlackBerry themselves... even their blog... big push for enterprise... but sticker releases at the same time? if bbm is to be a consumer product with revenue... Maybe sticker announcements should find a way to be segregated from the security deals. It's difficult to take the sanctity of their security presence seriously when it's right next to the popeye's sticker announcement.

I obviously wouldn't be here in I wasn't a fan, a customer, and believe in the product... but we all know that marketing has been awful in the US. It's not going to turn around with a good TV commercial. It's going to be customers sharing their knowledge and opinions. Sites like this trumpeting the features that can't be matched. And ultimately mass media being overwhelmed with facts, and forced into admitting what we know....

I use BlackBerry because I make more money because of it. Period.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-04-14 10:43 PM
    Keep Crackberry just the way it is. Enough said.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    08-04-14 11:37 PM
    Whatever happened to Craig Johnston's "return" and more BES/business coverage? There was a bit of hoopla back earlier in the year but it wasn't sustained.

Love the site as it stands but would agree with the OP that a bit more business coverage would be in order.
    08-05-14 02:26 AM
    This morning point in case....

Restructuring complete.....
    Learn how to fly a plane.... Did that need to be posted so soon after?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 05:59 AM
    This morning point in case....

Restructuring complete.....
    Learn how to fly a plane.... Did that need to be posted so soon after?

Posted via CB10
    It was 2 hours apart. Not exactly sure what you expect there, the world goes on man.
    08-05-14 10:51 AM
    I think what the OP might like is some additional categories - Business New, BES Related, QNX Related.... That way maybe he could bookmark those as his "home page" without the general news that other users might be interested in.
    08-05-14 11:35 AM
    It was 2 hours apart. Not exactly sure what you expect there, the world goes on man.
    Like it or not you influence the stock market to some degree... especially when other news outlets run with your stories.... not sure how many game reviews go viral.

But both posts hit the home page before the market open.

Do you keep metrics for what time of day you get the most page views? (on average)

You guys sometimes "sticky" an article to keep top billing.... I'm sure there's a method to the madness... just wondering what that is.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 03:11 PM
    I think what the OP might like is some additional categories - Business New, BES Related, QNX Related.... That way maybe he could bookmark those as his "home page" without the general news that other users might be interested in.
    That's an interesting thought.... or even a personalized home page for any logged in user, so we can omit or include categories at will.
    Not necessarily navigate to one category... but have a mixed news page, with my 5 of 9 categories that interest me.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 03:14 PM
    Game reviews ain't all that bad what peeves me is the constant recycling of "how to xxx on Z10, Z30, Z3...." from its done once it's the same on all bb10 devices. Unless there is a new way to in say an update eg they change something in 10.3 there's no need for reposting and changing the device name..

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    08-05-14 03:23 PM
    To help with that, I recently added the QNX section to the header. It won't help on mobile but it's now there for desktop users.
    08-05-14 05:22 PM
    Please OP, Crackberry is supposed to be for ALL things BlackBerry including games etc. If they were only to focus on Business Segment then you will complain that it's not for the general consumers market.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 05:23 PM
    Game reviews ain't all that bad what peeves me is the constant recycling of "how to xxx on Z10, Z30, Z3...." from its done once it's the same on all bb10 devices. Unless there is a new way to in say an update eg they change something in 10.3 there's no need for reposting and changing the device name..

Posted via CB10
    I've explained this so many times now, I might as well make a macro for it lol.

If you don't like em, don't click on them. They're easy to avoid. As for your thoughts on how many people are reading them, well we have enough metrics on our end to show they're serving their intended audience and doing so rather well. It's also funny how so many people feel the need to comment on EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE about how irrelevant they are instead of just not bothering with them at all. I wonder what the metrics would be if the people NOT interested in reading them would just avoid them..

I mean, I get it. I dislike having to write them as well and feeling like I'm 'forcing' them on people but then I remember, I'm not forcing you to read those articles in order to read any others or something stupid like that and in the end they actually do help those who need help. I know every day CrackBerry readers don't like them but we're not here to ONLY serve every day readers. We're here to serve everyone who needs help.
    08-05-14 05:25 PM
27 12