Cadie Thompson of CNBC is "hearing" voices?!

Why BlackBerry's enterprise bet won't work

She recommends and exclaims that the following probably will likely happen at some point:
    - The company will change it's name from BlackBeryy
    - The company will drop QNX for Android
    - The company will move to the USA (particularly Silicon Valley)

What type of technology reporting is this?
    12-23-13 02:06 PM
    Lol. This is worse analysis than a freshmans essay

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 02:23 PM
    Name change, very much possible
    Switch to Android, highly unlikely, but still a very miniscule chance
    But the move to USA is just absurd imo

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 02:25 PM
    If you actually look at the video it makes a little more sense than what you just posted... She didn't just post some bullet points and insult them...

1. Changing the name... Can make sense if they're selling services and are focusing on more than just their own devices. Also, if they do #2, then it can make more sense... I don't personally see it happening, though...

2. QNX to Android - At this point, this would make sense. They can use AOSP as a base, build in their security and what few services they have, and then just license the Amazon App Store or something if they don't want to put Google Services on their devices. They can partner with Nokia for maps, etc. I think the QNX-based OS has been a dud, and this probably was the route they should haven taken from the get go especially seeing how long it took them to even get Playbook OS/BB10 out onto the market...

3. Makes sense from what she said, but I don't see it happening.
    12-23-13 02:28 PM
    Off the wall.
    12-23-13 02:37 PM
    1. Name change - Don't see that happening. BBRY's focus is shifting to enterprise customers and the brand still has a very good reputation for security, which is a key requirement for those customers. A name change at this time will cause confusion and will probably hurt more than help BBRY.

2. QNX to Android. Highly unlikely after the massive investment they made creating BB10 from scratch. Switching to Android at this point would be prohitively experience for BBRY at this stage.

3. Move to US - possible, but I don't think very likely.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-23-13 04:02 PM
    If you actually look at the video it makes a little more sense than what you just posted... She didn't just post some bullet points and insult them...

1. Changing the name... Can make sense if they're selling services and are focusing on more than just their own devices. Also, if they do #2, then it can make more sense... I don't personally see it happening, though....
    I do sometimes miss Research in Motion (RIM), but I also agree with the name change. People use to be confused when you said RIM. Now they know who you are talking about. Also, the BlackBerry name is not just associated with their hardware (though mostly so) The company is being divided into 4 main divisions.
    1. Hardware - BlackBerry Phones
    2. Enterprise - BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Servers)
    3. Messaging - BBM (BlackBerry Messenger)
    4. Embedded Devices - QNX

3 of their 4 main divisions have the name BlackBerry in them, so it makes sense to be known as BlackBerry.

oh, & also the name change got rid of all those RIM Job jokes.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    12-24-13 05:53 AM

2. QNX to Android - At this point, this would make sense. They can use AOSP as a base, build in their security and what few services they have, and then just license the Amazon App Store or something if they don't want to put Google Services on their devices. They can partner with Nokia for maps, etc. I think the QNX-based OS has been a dud, and this probably was the route they should haven taken from the get go especially seeing how long it took them to even get Playbook OS/BB10 out onto the market....
    Are you serious? Android has been unable to get a hold in Enterprise for the express reason that they are NOT secure. Yea small business maybe, but not in larger companies who have/need managed devices. Even Samsung KNOX with Samsung's Billion $ marketing behind them has not been able to do anything. As of last month KNOX only has less then 100 installs on test servers, & that's on small to mid sized companies.
    12-24-13 05:58 AM

3. Makes sense from what she said, but I don't see it happening.
    I don't see that as making sense. YES Americans would like to see that, because they think that only silicone valley is the only place where tech companies can operate. The Waterloo area is known internationally as a tech hub. There are some very smart & qualified people living there. That region is also one of the world leaders in quantum mechanics/physics. In fact Stephen Hawking left Cambridge to move to Waterloo.
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    12-24-13 06:05 AM
    I don't see that as making sense. YES Americans would like to see that, because they think that only silicone valley is the only place where tech companies can operate. The Waterloo area is known internationally as a tech hub. There are some very smart & qualified people living there. That region is also one of the world leaders in quantum mechanics/physics. In fact Stephen Hawking left Cambridge to move to Waterloo.
    To your last point.... Hawking did not move to Waterloo. He has a dedicated wing at the Perimeter Institute and visits somewhat regularly but does not live in the region.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 06:32 AM
    I don't see that as making sense. YES Americans would like to see that, because they think that only silicone valley is the only place where tech companies can operate. The Waterloo area is known internationally as a tech hub.
    First off, most Americans don't know where "Silicon" Valley is, or its significance. In fact, most Americans would probably tell you that tech is centered in Asia, since they hear a lot more stories about Foxconn than the Apple or Google campuses.

Also, while Waterloo may be "known internationally as a tech hub," like Silicon Valley I doubt the average person could place it on a map, or could explain its significance.
    12-24-13 07:38 AM
    We have enough top tech companies, which BBRY is not these days. The great talent that is based there often won't want to move to Canada. Sonetimes you have to go to where the talent is.

It has nothing to do with nationality, and one person doesn't define an entire industry. There is a reason why so many tech companies have settled in that area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-24-13 07:57 AM
    Is this the same msnbc that has infomercials on hair therapy, fat hiding clothes, and sham wows like every morning???

Yeah they're a treasure trove of valuable information lol!

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 01:04 PM
    We have enough top tech companies, which BBRY is not these days. The great talent that is based there often won't want to move to Canada. Sometimes you have to go to where the talent is.

It has nothing to do with nationality, and one person doesn't define an entire industry. There is a reason why so many tech companies have settled in that area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Yes and that is why Both Apple & Google (as well as various other top tech companies) have opened offices in Waterloo recently. Because they want to hire some of the telent that lives there.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 05:46 AM