If BlackBerry goes away, Canada has lost one source of innovation and what is, arguably, a major Canadian (tech) company. If BlackBerry was American, U.S Congress would probably be falling over one another to throw money at them.
    09-21-13 04:43 AM
    Many people are hoping this happens. Not sure they will though
    09-21-13 06:15 AM
    If BlackBerry goes away, Canada has lost one source of innovation and what is, arguably, a major Canadian (tech) company. If BlackBerry was American, U.S Congress would probably be falling over one another to throw money at them.
    Yes it surely would, same with Apple, too damn big for the US to lose.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 06:16 AM
    A big fat NO from me (and I didn't agree with the US bailout either' as a Canadian working in the US)

To be honest I mourn the descent of Kodak far more as the loss of a truly innovative and valuable company but no way would I support a bailout there either.

These are public companies that were run poorly, supported by people who should have done their due diligence. Personal responsibility.

Are you guys seriously ok having your tax payments, what you have worked hard to earn and hand over to the govt, spent bailing out public companies like this? Then go send Thor a cheque asking him to put into the kitty. It's the same damn thing.
    09-21-13 07:02 AM
    No just no.

They thought the iPhone was a toy or a fad. They decided to not compete. Their lack of vision is not a responsibility of the Canadian government.
    09-21-13 10:08 AM
    Maybe if it comes with a change of mgmnt. If it's just cash, he'll no. There are too many people that dont know what they are doing at BlackBerry, and giving more money won't change anything

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 04:32 PM
    And blackberry deserves this because they rested on their laurels
    09-21-13 05:44 PM
    And blackberry deserves this because they rested on their laurels
    No... but the people who work for BlackBerry don't deserve to be out of a job due to incompetence that was not theirs.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 05:53 PM
    Lol, not because the US government does the mistake of bailing out private businesses that we have to do the same mistake, please.
    09-21-13 05:54 PM
    No just no.

They thought the iPhone was a toy or a fad. They decided to not compete. Their lack of vision is not a responsibility of the Canadian government.
    Made me think of...

"You will now pay for your lack of vision!"
    *more force lightening*

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    09-21-13 05:57 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't been failing for 4 years now because of lack of money. They've had billions in the bank for years, and we see what they've done with that. How would dumping more money into their coffers solve the problem, exactly?

Can the government give BlackBerry a culture of under-promise and over-deliver?
    Will there will be a legislative committee which can draft a proper marketing plan for them?
    Maybe the Ministry of APIs can finish the BB10 APIs so that they are the level of Android or iOS?
    JeepBB, FSeverino and kevinnugent like this.
    09-21-13 06:10 PM
    Yes because the US Congress should be the poster child for what to do with tax payer dollars.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 06:13 PM
    No... but the people who work for BlackBerry don't deserve to be out of a job due to incompetence that was not theirs.

Posted via CB10
    I agree to some degree however this mentality that only the CEO calls the shots has got to stop. There are many others that were involved in the poor decision making.
    09-21-13 06:32 PM
    I agree to some degree however this mentality that only the CEO calls the shots has got to stop. There are many others that were involved in the poor decision making.
    Maybe so but he ultimately has the final say on how things shall be.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 06:34 PM
    The Canadian government should make it easier for the people from blackberry with actual talent to set up a new company. These people are on paper, university educated and highly skilled. Why should get they get a bailout? Is BBRY's failure going to somehow pull down the trillion dollar Canadian economy?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    wjptam likes this.
    09-22-13 11:34 AM
    I agree, nothing is worse for talented people to have to work for useless managers and executives who can't do any thing right.

I hope the talented people laid off find jobs where their talent won't be wasted by executives busy negotiating golden parachutes for themselves. The fewer talented people running around like chickens with their heads cut off at the behest of Thorsten, the better off the Canadian economy will be.
    FSeverino likes this.
    09-22-13 08:30 PM
    I don't mean just TH. But there are many people that need the boot

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 09:06 PM
    i agree with you. however i've got to say that current management including present CEO are incompetent and if this was to happen Blackberry should get new management. I say that CEO is incompetent because ultimately bucket stops with him. he should chosen better marketing team to
    run blackberry marketing efforts. marketing and perception are the key reasons why blackberry phones are not selling.
    09-23-13 01:33 PM
    The government should stay out.
    09-23-13 03:48 PM
    I'm all for this, depending on where we take the money from, if we take it from aid to the middle east then hell yea let's throw cash at BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 08:05 PM
    I wish they would, but it's not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 08:08 PM
    how would they bail them out? there is no debt so `throwing money at them` isn't any good to anyone considering BlackBerry has apx 2.5bn in the bank.
    09-23-13 11:02 PM
    Cultural Sovereignty begins with having a Patent Phone System so neighbours can be excluded from discussion. Perhaps the smaller countries who don't have a significant stake in their own phone companies should collateralize their interests and preserve their freedoms without having to otherwise legislate them, or control them. A starting point for any of that would be a direct stake in their own phone system.

In any case, at some point phones and pocket computers will again diverge functions, particularly when people get past the collection phase of storing other people's stuff, particularly that which they rarely use or look at again. When that happens, and everything has cloud access, smaller phones may once again reign over the current mediocrity, ...particularly once a concierge service gets established, thereby eliminating the need for all those extra apps..
    Last edited by CuddlyBoo; 09-24-13 at 12:30 AM. Reason: afterthoughts
    09-24-13 12:23 AM
    I saw on the news tonight that Watsa's major partners are CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and Teachers pension plan. So you may have your wish.
    09-24-13 12:33 AM
    as much as I'm sure the Canadian Government would like to, they dont have the money to do that
    09-24-13 12:43 AM