12-08-15 02:42 PM
29 12
tools
    You can learn from mistakes, they don't have to be your own. Sometimes the best thing to learn is what not to do.
    12-08-15 08:37 AM
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The thread is about business owners learning from blackberry.
    I see it as they got blown away and ridiculed and despite this dire situation their brains were able to concoct a new strategy to stay in the game.
    By your logic all small business owners should give up because they're not leading the market or don't have the most marketing dollars. I think small business owners need to believe they have a chance based on hard work and brain power. That's how an economy, I believe, can thrive.
    I used to work for touch companies like BlackBerry many many years ago, fast-forward to today and I work for startups and nonprofits and own my own successful little company... and I believe trying to apply anything from the BlackBerry strategy to these small businesses will result in quick failure.

Here is an article that was sent to me a while ago, http://www.tillett.info/2015/08/30/ideas-are-not-cheap/ and one thing they propose - if your going head to head on a platform as a small company, your idea better be difficult to replicate and 100x better than your competition. They miss a lot of the points in that checklist. And that's just one list.

All they did was throw something at a wall to see if it sticks. I see brighter, smaller companies trying this all the time and failing. And it worries me that someone else might see that as an effective business model. Being agile, yes. Blind product slinging, no... but maybe where we are different is you feel they are being agile, but I don't see it myself.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Last edited by KermEd; 12-08-15 at 10:23 AM.
    Bluenoser63 and TGR1 like this.
    12-08-15 10:06 AM
    I used to work for touch companies like BlackBerry many many years ago, fast-forward to today and I work for startups and nonprofits and own my own successful little company... and I believe trying to apply anything from the BlackBerry strategy to these small businesses will result in quick failure.

Here is an article that was sent to me a while ago, Daniel Tillett | Ideas are not cheapDaniel Tillett and one thing they propose - if your going head to head on a platform as a small company, your idea better be difficult to replicate and 100x better than your competition. They miss a lot of the points in that checklist. And that's just one list.

All they did was throw something at a wall to see if it sticks. I see brighter, smaller companies trying this all the time and failing. And it worries me that someone else might see that as an effective business model. Being agile, yes. Blind product slinging, no... but maybe where we are different is you feel they are being agile, but I don't see it myself.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    I understand your point, but what I'm saying is that his was a company that was at the top and got crushed. They've had to re-organize and re-strategize on the fly all the while being a public company. A very difficult situation that small businesses can learn from. Mistakes, good moves, and all, the business battle is not always pretty. They should have been bankrupt by now but are still kicking with new optimism and growth projections.
    12-08-15 11:18 AM
    The bigger lesson is probably that engineers often make lousy businessmen. Mike definitely suffered from Founder's Dilemma - being unwilling or unable to drop or cannibalize his original, successful product once the market had evolved and required new solutions. It's a common problem - but the very fact that it is a common problem should mean that Boards of Directors should be on the lookout for it and need to be ready to make changes quickly if it looks to be a problem. The BB board left Mike and Jim in place for way, way too long.

Mike didn't want to move forward. He wanted to mold the world around his solutions to early 2000's mobile issues. Apple was successful because they were willing to completely bypass existing limitations and look to the future.
    luc4625, JeepBB, KermEd and 1 others like this.
    12-08-15 02:42 PM
29 12