I know Blackberry isn't paying much attention to good or smart business ideology. But, as a business consultant, I am sure some of you who actually have businesses or want to start them will appreciate this bit. For me, I do marketing strategy and I've always found a new business usually fails because no one knows about them. I think this video touches a bit on that concept. If you want to succeed, you need a healthy marketing budget.

Of course, Blackberry is a different problem in that they're an established company that has tarnished their own image. Their brand is in the gutter. The way to fix it is not that dissimilar from the way you build it in the first place - doing things that bring value to the name. Anyway, here's that bit from Jobs...

Steve Jobs talks about branding | StockLogos.com

No, I don't own any Apple products. Last time I used an Apple exclusively was in college, more than a decade ago. I just respect Jobs as a marketing person. I've always seen him as a marketing person, first.
    labyrinth9 and LazyEvul like this.
    09-01-13 06:43 AM
    Steve Jobs was a force in the industry. The hatred thrown his way cannot take away that he had a keen understanding of the industry and the consumer market. Much could be learned from his leadership out of Apple's near collapse to its current position.
    09-01-13 06:59 AM
    I almost forgot how great an ad that was. Steve Jobs was a brilliant man no matter how much people try to diminish him.
    BlackBerry could use someone with a bit of Steve Jobs' talent and marketing savvy.
    09-01-13 07:08 AM
    What I got from that video, Steve job hated milk as much as he hated Adobe Flash lol

#lactoseintolerant
    09-01-13 07:16 AM
    He knew marketing for sure.
    I wonder who will save Apple when they get into trouble next time.

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-01-13 09:26 AM
    What I got from that video, Steve job hated milk as much as he hated Adobe Flash lol

#lactoseintolerant
    And for you that would be what some would call "A cryin' shame."
    09-02-13 12:19 PM
    Steve Jobbs really is the reason apple did as well as it did.

He was great at driving reinforcement, desire and information about the products and changes. You need that from a leader if you want it to trickle down.

Switching to a silent leader, products start to roll back eventually.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-02-13 01:10 PM
    Steve Jobbs really is the reason apple did as well as it did.

He was great at driving reinforcement, desire and information about the products and changes. You need that from a leader if you want it to trickle down.

Switching to a silent leader, products start to roll back eventually.

Posted via CB from my LE
    I think TH is this sort of person internally, but not nearly as public as Jobs was. I think they needed a Jobs-type person leading the marketing campaign, FB was simply not as "great" as he needed to be. And what are we paying Alicia Keys for anyway?
    KermEd likes this.
    09-02-13 03:18 PM
    Alicia keys was brilliant. The point of her wasn't to sell to bbry fans. But to a segment who never thought about us. She was perfect!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 05:21 PM
    Brilliant speech by Jobs. I may not be a fan of Apple's products, but there's no denying the man was a genius and the company has done very well thanks to him. Someone ought to send this video to Frank Boulben!
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-02-13 05:27 PM
    No, I don't own any Apple products. Last time I used an Apple exclusively was in college, more than a decade ago. I just respect Jobs as a marketing person. I've always seen him as a marketing person, first.
    But that's not what he was in the slightest, and to see him as such is a fundamental misunderstanding of both the man and his work.

Jobs was a product person, first and foremost, and his entire professional career and philosophical outlook is a testament to this. His passion for designing and managing the development of a product from end-to-end is legendary. When he left Apple, he didn't go into marketing; he instead sank a chunk of his own wealth into the painful process of launching another product. When he rejoined Apple as an advisor, he urged Apple not to put money into marketing until they had something truly worthy of doing so. That is not the approach of a marketing-first person.

A marketing person's job is to sell whatever they are hired to sell. Jobs would not promote products he didn't believe in. It's very easy to misunderstand this, because he had so much success with marketing. But the truth is that he approached marketing the same way he approached every aspect of the product development process: with a tight focus, an emphasis on simplicity, and always looking toward the next thing rather than trying to preserve the last thing. But for him, it was always about the product.
    09-03-13 03:29 AM
    But that's not what he was in the slightest, and to see him as such is a fundamental misunderstanding of both the man and his work.

Jobs was a product person, first and foremost, and his entire professional career and philosophical outlook is a testament to this. His passion for designing and managing the development of a product from end-to-end is legendary. When he left Apple, he didn't go into marketing; he instead sank a chunk of his own wealth into the painful process of launching another product. When he rejoined Apple as an advisor, he urged Apple not to put money into marketing until they had something truly worthy of doing so. That is not the approach of a marketing-first person.

A marketing person's job is to sell whatever they are hired to sell. Jobs would not promote products he didn't believe in. It's very easy to misunderstand this, because he had so much success with marketing. But the truth is that he approached marketing the same way he approached every aspect of the product development process: with a tight focus, an emphasis on simplicity, and always looking toward the next thing rather than trying to preserve the last thing. But for him, it was always about the product.
    Well said. I'd only note that the same people that think of Steve Jobs as a marketing person are the same ones who believe all BBRY needs is better marketing, so at least they're consistent.
    09-03-13 09:34 AM