Imagine my happiness in the early days of BBX rumours when it was said that booting up would be significantly faster than that of my BBOS device. Ecstatic I tell you.

But, it seems it was the exact opposite. My former BlackBerry Curve 9320 boots up faster than my Z10, which is a bother considering I regularly have to switch my device off when I am in examinations. I know there are many others that feel the same. My former iPhone booted up faster, as did my Ascend P6, so why, oh why are BlackBerry users tormented with the chore of boot delays?

Personally, I, as an Armchair CEO, would address the issue. What if I was just in a life threatening car crash and my battery fell out, putting it back in, I first have to die, before it will boot up and allow me to call the emergency service, in such a situation, every second matters.

BlackBerry is the Bugatti Veyron of Mobile Browsers, why not Mobile Boot Times too?
    Mack Gans and decoy7 like this.
    03-24-14 04:38 AM
    This is because a bb10 phone fully shuts down and saves all the battery, where as an ios or Android device goes into "sleep mode"

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 04:48 AM
    Excuse me for what I'm gonna ask can be rude for others, but are you trying to increase your post count by posting something like this?

I have curve 9320. I have friends on BlackBerry that uses legacy devices. And never did I hear them say that boot time was less than 7min. I use a Z10 and I can confidently say that your post, kind sir, is... unbelievable.

My 1st choice of smartphone (not smartTOY), BlackBerry.
    03-24-14 05:03 AM
    10.2.1 appears to load significantly faster on my Z10.

Optimizations appear to include:

Loading the Hub AFTER boot
    Loading the Android runtime AFTER boot.
    And maybe some other things...

Before it appeared to preload everything at once, much like... the Playbook does right now.
    03-24-14 05:25 AM
    Aside from restarting when there is an issue, or flying, or working in an medical imaging center ... I still don't get why people turn off their phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 05:47 AM
    Reboot your Z10, and do a battery pull on your 9320 and tell me which boots faster! When you power off BBOS it isn't powered off fully. Z10 power off is really powered off.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:51 AM
    Excuse me for what I'm gonna ask can be rude for others, but are you trying to increase your post count by posting something like this?

I have curve 9320. I have friends on BlackBerry that uses legacy devices. And never did I hear them say that boot time was less than 7min. I use a Z10 and I can confidently say that your post, kind sir, is... unbelievable.
    If I wanted to increase my post count, I would just go take part in other threads.

On topic however, my 9320 boots up in 2:13 from a battery pull, while my Z10 boots up in just under 3 minutes from a battery pull.

My point? BlackBerry can decrease the boot time, as has happened in 10.2.1, so why not? If I want to use my device, should I have to wait ages for it to boot, or should it boot up faster (ie. under a minute)?
    03-24-14 07:35 AM
    There's reason why it takes time for your device to boot. Try wiping your device and compare.

My 1st choice of smartphone (not smartTOY), BlackBerry.
    03-24-14 08:36 AM
    How often do you reboot your berry that this is an issue? I reboot mine maybe once a week. Usually while I am showering or something. Being away from your phone 3 minutes shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    03-24-14 08:53 AM
    This is because a bb10 phone fully shuts down and saves all the battery, where as an ios or Android device goes into "sleep mode"

Posted via CB10
    Could you provide a source please?

I doubt it because when I restart Android (instead of shutting it down) it takes almost the same amount of time to boot up.
    03-24-14 01:49 PM
    The boot times on BlackBerry 10 are ridiculous. My old Nexus S (single core, 1 GHz) boots Android 4.2 under 30 seconds after a battery pull. My, way faster, BlackBerry Z10 boots at its fastest, in one and a half minute. Even worse if I turn on SIM card encryption (pin), then it'll take more than five minutes to boot my phone. It's just like the PlayBook - it's way too slow at booting. Fix it!

Why do we reboot our phones you ask? Well, either if we're swapping batteries, or if the phone crashes (which does happen for some of us ).
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-25-14 02:27 PM
    There was a school of thought here that subscribed to the idea that BB10 takes time to do security checks during boot up.
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-25-14 02:31 PM
    There was a school of thought here that subscribed to the idea that BB10 takes time to do security checks during boot up.
    But why not do it after it has booted, or at least let you toggle the option?
    03-25-14 04:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    What did you just say?

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    03-25-14 04:20 PM
    One or both of two reasons. Either the checks are for things that are required for function, or we would have the same discussions but about why the phone is so slow right after booting.
    03-25-14 04:22 PM
    One or both of two reasons. Either the checks are for things that are required for function, or we would have the same discussions but about why the phone is so slow right after booting.
    True, but I would rather have it slow after booting, with basic functionality, than waiting ages to do anything at all.

btw thanks for your efforts in the 10.3 thread, you're a legend!
    03-25-14 04:24 PM
    Same reason why you don't put the condom on afterwards.
    03-25-14 05:12 PM
    I don't believe that an OS7 device boots faster than bb10. They took 5+ minutes to boot (factory default).

Like it was said above, it's due to security checks and probably encryption as well.

I'd rather have it take longer to boot up and have it 100% ready to go with no lag. I hate having it start then have to wait for the hub and other features to load in the background.

Posted via CB10
    mjdimer likes this.
    03-25-14 05:36 PM
    apparently boot time is a big problem for you. For most people who probably dont shut down their phone its not even an issue and thats probably 99 percent of the users out there. Personally i dont reboot the phone very often. Im sure maybe someday it will be an issue thats worth looking at but right now on the priority scale its probably one of the least likely things to get addressed. So many other issues they can be working to improve besides the boot time. The first time i started the phone up i thought it might be a problem but after that it doesnt even cross my mind. Lets keep the developers working on problems that are real trouble. Sure this is an issue but on the fix it scale its probably one of the last things they are looking at to fix. No harm is asking for better just dont expect this to get addressed any time soon.
    03-26-14 12:54 AM
    So. I just powered down my Z30. I let it sit for 2 minutes. Then pressed the power button and started timing when I saw the red led come on(not when I saw the BlackBerry 10 on the screen) and stopped it the minute my pic password popped up (I swiped up after the wallpaper came up but it stayed black for a couple seconds) and I came in at 1:26. That's less than 1.5 minutes. You're telling me that 1.5 minutes is way too long? You have to be kidding me. Not to mention that after I unlocked the device I immediately opened up the CB10 app with no delay and found this post.

BlackBerry 10 does a bunch of security checks before it boots to makes sure the boot loader isn't tampered with. Why do this before and not after? Because by then it would be too late. Whatever service that messed with the boot loader could have corrupted the system that does the checks or already loaded and downloaded your files to be sent off. Security is done first. ALWAYS. If you're going to complain about 1.5 min then I would kindly recommend trying a different device. There isn't really a need to reboot the device unless you're swapping a battery.

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    03-26-14 01:14 AM
    If you're going to complain about 1.5 min then I would kindly recommend trying a different device. There isn't really a need to reboot the device unless you're swapping a battery.
    Like I said, mine doesn't take 1.5min and like I said, my device has to be off during exams and meetings, it's not an option, it's a rule so not much I can do about it. The Z30 and Z10 are two different devices...
    03-26-14 02:28 AM
    Look at the playbook, it takes like 5 minutes to boot

Posted via Z10
    03-26-14 02:33 AM
    The longest boot times I ever have are after an update, which is understandable. Otherwise, it take maybe a minute and a half to boot up. Unless there is some emergency and I need to call 911, that 90 seconds isn't a big deal. I take a nice long sip of coffee and by the time I've put my cup back down the phone is ready.

That compared with my Torch which, when I needed to do a semi-frequent battery pull, I might as well go away for 5 minutes because it's going to be a while before that thing starts up. Heck, remember how you had to reboot the device after installing a number of apps? Luckily BB10 doesn't require very frequent restarts.

Maybe you should try a security wipe if your phone is truly and without exaggeration taking so long to boot up.
    03-26-14 03:03 AM
    True, but I would rather have it slow after booting, with basic functionality, than waiting ages to do anything at all.

!
    Apparently, some posts I've read back then, they wanted instant Hub access the moment their device's done booting up. To each their own.
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-26-14 04:17 AM
    Apparently, some posts I've read back then, they wanted instant Hub access the moment their device's done booting up. To each their own.
    The hub is instant after reboot. I believe that's a 10.2.1 thing.

As for the Z10 and Z30 being different. Not by much. I doubt the 200 Mhz increase in the processor is really going to make a difference. My Z10 before I gave it to my best friend reboots in 1.5 minutes as well. BlackBerry 10 is pretty consistent.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 04:53 AM
89 123 ...