Loved my Passport wide-screen with BB10. Now I am enjoying my Priv and all my Android apps. If BlackBerry found a way to combine them, I would pay premium for a dual OS large square screen slider.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-08-16 07:05 AM
    Many would love to see a dual booting phone....

But for contractual reasons it isn't going to happen any time soon. We have the technology, just not the permission.
    06-08-16 07:10 AM
    Just $ounds like a matter of money. BlackBerry should work a scalable deal

06-08-16 07:13 AM
    By the time you're running a dual-boat, large-screen slider you might as well buy a tablet or small laptop - lol
    06-08-16 07:27 AM
    Put together the small production number, license fee, some R&D workaround. The price might exceed a premium laptop - not sure if there are really enough people willing buying it to make it happen.
    06-08-16 07:37 AM
    If Google won't allow it to have play store, what's the point?

Android without Google play would be a pitiful thing indeed. And if it's a BlackBerry and hence unrootable, you wouldn't even be able to add it yourself. Doubly pitiful.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    06-08-16 08:33 AM
    Agreed the market is currently small but dual boot devices could be the next growth opportunity in a saturated, mediocre cell phone market. BlackBerry may be uniquely positioned to improve its dismal market share on this frontier. Preference for a BlackBerry at this point in time is a very niche market the same way Apple computers were and really still are. So if you're gonna be a niche, be a very powerful one.

06-08-16 08:40 AM
    My favorite thing about my Priv, besides the PKB, is playstore access!

06-08-16 08:43 AM
    Alphabet sure ain't hurtin' for money. A scalable deal with BlackBerry would be all upside for them.

06-08-16 08:48 AM
    Other OEMs have already tried this... both Microsoft and Google put an end to it pretty quickly.
    06-08-16 08:56 AM
    Alphabet sure ain't hurtin' for money. A scalable deal with BlackBerry would be all upside for them.

Ask not what bb can do for you. But what you can do for blackberry.

crackberry logic 101
    Tien-Lin Chang and JeepBB like this.
    06-08-16 11:08 AM
    Alphabet sure ain't hurtin' for money. A scalable deal with BlackBerry would be all upside downside for them.
    I fixed it for you.

Neither Google nor Microsoft (the two big companies that make phone OSs that you can license) will allow dual-boot mobile devices with their licensed IP on them. Someone could make an AOSP Android dual-boot phone, but they couldn't get Google Play or GMS on that phone, or any other phone they manufactured (the Google license prohibits licensees from making ANY non-certified Android devices)..

Dual-boot phones would not grow Android's marketshare - it would just be someone converting from one (likely Android) phone to another. That's not a gain for Google. But by not allowing dual-boot phones, most users will end up on an Android phone, and that is a net gain for Google.

You're just looking at this from the perspective of "what is good for BB (and by extension, myself)?" But BB has zero leverage, so deals only make sense when they're a net gain for the other company - and Google's rules are designed to give them power over all of their OEMs - companies that combined have gotten Google well over 1 billion users. Google isn't about to risk that control to get a few thousand BB users - users that they'll probably end up with anyway.
    06-08-16 03:20 PM
    I really have no affinity to Android other than its ability to smoothly run my Playstore apps. Had android emulation on my Passport been able to do that I would have had no interest in the Priv. So yes, Google's proprietary bent has netted them my purchasing more playstore apps and an android license for my Priv. But I'm really not satisfied. BlackBerry OS 10 is still my preference over Android. (Could have just started using an old Samsung along side my Passport) So yeah I agree using one device instead of two is solely in my own personal interest. To me a device that runs APPS well is desirable. But a device that offers a user experience as elegantly efficient as the Passport is more desirable. The android OS capability is ancillary but to do it well is worth a premium price that could be profitable for Google. Dual boot is just a step up from Android emulation and the precedent was set in the Passport and other BlackBerry devices to allow android on a BB. I only need the android OS to run my apps more efficently. But should my interest wane for those apps I'll be back on a BlackBerry Passport...if one still exists, to the exclusion of Google's android. But a BlackDroid would be uniquely satisfying.*

06-08-16 06:23 PM
    Other OEMs have already tried this... both Microsoft and Google put an end to it pretty quickly.
    Someone did manage it - I think it was ASUS - the way they did it was that it was actually two separate devices (processors and everything stuck together...) so they got certification for both halves separately. However I think once MS and Google got wind they quickly 'had a word' and I don't think it was released.
    06-12-16 08:57 AM
    Someone did manage it - I think it was ASUS - the way they did it was that it was actually two separate devices (processors and everything stuck together...) so they got certification for both halves separately. However I think once MS and Google got wind they quickly 'had a word' and I don't think it was released.
    Persistent, yeah, and, well, innovation ... check their new sly-gan ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-14-16 06:47 PM
    In China they can do anything.... Chuwi HiBook 2-in-1 Tablet PC - Chuwi "It is pre-installed Android 5.1 and Windows 10 OS. "
    06-16-16 11:17 AM
    In China they can do anything.... Chuwi HiBook 2-in-1 Tablet PC - Chuwi "It is pre-installed Android 5.1 and Windows 10 OS. "
    Sure - because neither OS is actually licensed and neither will have access to the Google/Microsoft app stores or services (because China blocks access to them anyway). The rules are, of course, much different in the rest of the world.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-17-16 10:07 PM
    Anything's possible if American lawyers can't get you.
    06-18-16 08:25 PM
    Chewie says Hi...? ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    smart548 likes this.
    06-19-16 04:45 PM
    Sure - because neither OS is actually licensed and neither will have access to the Google/Microsoft app stores or services (because China blocks access to them anyway). The rules are, of course, much different in the rest of the world.
    You can buy it on Amazon here in the US (from a 3rd party), only $200. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNWUU1U/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza and there are a number of reviews out there on it (most not very good). Haven't seen any of them mention issues with Microsoft licensing or the MS App store. Now the Android side of things... who knows, I didn't read anything either way. One reviewer did talk about installing a number of games and apps for testing, didn't mention any problems doing it - or how he did it.

But yeah it is a fringe product that probably isn't approved by either side. If it came to anyone's attention they would have Amazon shut it down.
    06-20-16 10:18 AM
    most not very good
    Not that I totally trust any of these reviews as being truly legit, but most of the reviews ARE good (4 out of 5 stars). I don't agree with your "most" statement. Having said that, I wouldn't buy one.
    06-20-16 10:58 AM
    Not that I totally trust any of these reviews as being truly legit, but most of the reviews ARE good (4 out of 5 stars). I don't agree with your "most" statement. Having said that, I wouldn't buy one.
    Not the customer reviews on Amazon... the "expert" reviews like PCWorld Not many of the traditional tech sites bothered with it.

I think for the most part... you get what you pay for. And if you want a dual boot system, there isn't much to compare to.
    06-20-16 11:15 AM
    Not the customer reviews on Amazon... the "expert" reviews like PCWorld Not many of the traditional tech sites bothered with it.
    Ahhh--sorry I thought you meant the "reviews" by customers on Amazon lol
    06-20-16 11:17 AM