They could sell budget phones with BlackBerry10, for all the people that need a good phone, some good app but they don't need Android apps or the latest specs...

Let's say: the "feature phones" of tomorrow...

BlackBerry10 works fast even with old processors so it's very good.

BlackBerry - the firm - could win Africa and emerging countries with a BlackBerry10 budget phone... and ok, no real earnings here but the BB10 platform is already paid as it is...

This could be an idea to win back smartphone's OS share and call back developers that are leaving the platform.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 12:50 PM
    All the trolling on the social media put aside, we can say Android has the largest share not because of its quality, but because of dead cheap models ( anyone and everyone is manufacturing one these days) and way too many apps (even though highly unreliable and unstable at it) available .

BlackBerry has an unparalleled quality when it comes to an OS(be it ios or the Andy). The sales have been off the mark as the devices have never been on the mark. Well it has made a too late a debut too.

But things can still be turned around if they can get the middle and lower middle class to fit a BB device in their pockets. It will be quite a feat if they do so.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 01:08 PM
    Why?

They tried that with the Z3... didn't work out too well, as it was still about $100 overpriced.

Sorry but OS development costs money, and that has to be covered by your sales of devcies or by some other revenue streams (like advertising). Hard to compete in a market where Android and Windows are basically free and supported by much larger companies.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    05-25-16 01:08 PM
    Are you familiar with something called Blackberry Leap? It is a good phone and i can't imagine anything more 'budget' than this phone for a company like Blackberry who believes in Premium hardware.
    05-25-16 01:11 PM
    They could sell budget phones with BlackBerry10, for all the people that need a good phone, some good app but they don't need Android apps or the latest specs...

Let's say: the "feature phones" of tomorrow...

BlackBerry10 works fast even with old processors so it's very good.

BlackBerry - the firm - could win Africa and emerging countries with a BlackBerry10 budget phone... and ok, no real earnings here but the BB10 platform is already paid as it is...

This could be an idea to win back smartphone's OS share and call back developers that are leaving the platform.

Posted via CB10
    I'll repost my reply to you from another thread today.

Sad you don't know what phones are already out there for Android that cheap but have good specs. For example list of phones recommended in India for $150 . Best Android Smartphones Under 10,000 Rs in India May 2016

Even if you're poor and can only afford an upgrade from a feature phone you'll be looking at phones that have Leap specs for $75 Best Phone under 5000 Rs in India for May 2016

Consumers in developing countries don't have to make that choice anymore of cheap but gimped or expensive and capable.
    05-25-16 01:17 PM
    BB has tried and failed. The Q5, Z3, and Leap were supposed to be lower cost devices with the Z3 specifically aimed at developing markets. Foxconn actually collaborated on it to cut costs and it still didn't succeed. Difficult to see what BB can do in lower cost markets.
    05-25-16 02:53 PM
    How would BB make money this way?
    05-25-16 04:35 PM
    I'm very interested to hear the answer too.
    05-25-16 05:22 PM
    99% of threads in Armchair CEO wouldn't have an answer.
    05-25-16 06:46 PM
    I don't think JulesDB would leave us hanging.
    05-25-16 06:52 PM
    That question always stumps them.
    05-25-16 07:46 PM
    When I mean budget phones I mean looow budget phones: imagine selling something like Leap NOW, it would cost less than the Leap when it hit the market and less than Leaps that now are still remaining on the shelves...

The target? Again, all the people that are willing to spend little money, they need basic functions and aren't interested much in apps and specs.

Not too much earnings, not soon. I mean, at least until BlackBerry10 grows its share as a smartphones operating system...

Anyway I guess that BlackBerry could sell services, apps and stickers, as always...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by JulesDB; 05-25-16 at 08:14 PM.
    05-25-16 07:57 PM
    When I mean budget phones I mean looow budget phones: imagine selling something like Leap NOW, it would cost less than the Leap then and less than Leaps still remaining on the shelves...

Not too much earnings, not soon. I mean, at least until BlackBerry10 grows its share as a smartphones operating system...

Anyway I guess that BlackBerry could sell services, apps and stickers, as always...

Posted via CB10
    Ah I thought you were merely misinformed. But now I see you are willfully blind. How is BB going to compete at $150 for specs or at $75 for price, keeping in mind any Leap type model would still have the app deficit. BB has high costs relative to spec for its BB10 phone line since it literally has to do most everything for itself. Costs that are not born by Google or amongst 100's of Android phone models sold in the world. What you are now saying is the you want BB to lose money to compete for a very low chance at success and put the whole company at risk in the meantime.
    05-25-16 08:11 PM
    When I mean budget phones I mean looow budget phones: imagine selling something like Leap NOW, it would cost less than the Leap when it hit the market and less than Leaps that now are still remaining on the shelves...

The target? Again, all the people that are willing to spend little money, they need basic functions and aren't interested much in apps and specs.

Posted via CB10
    So just a pipedream then?
    See Troy's rebuttal in the other thread.
    05-25-16 08:32 PM
    What you are now saying is the you want BB to lose money to compete for a very low chance at success and put the whole company at risk in the meantime.
    Less than betting on a mid quality Android phone designed off scratch... like the ones that are coming out...

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 08:33 PM
    Less than betting on a mid quality Android phone designed off scratch... like the ones that are coming out...
    Those phones, if they do come out, aren't likely to lose money. They may not even be from scratch.

What you're suggesting is taking a substantial loss on new BB10 phones. The more they sell, the more they will lose. Chen fired so many people and sold offices and all the rest to stop the bleeding. What you're suggesting now is to stab the patient in the abdomen again, isn't it?
    05-25-16 08:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    The pkb will incur some additional costs as no one makes them but the all-touch will be essentially be an some existing Android phone design with cosmetic BB flourishes. They will also not be selling them for $150 so every one sold will be making money on a per unit basis. So low development cost + higher sale price even with low volume may be a route for BB to stay in the phone hardware business. Much higher chance of success than what you are proposing.
    05-25-16 09:16 PM
    BB has tradition to put some features to hint the lineage of high-end/business oriented in order to sell their hardware in premium price and this strategy make their entry level products look disgusting on the price tag. Moving the manufacturing to Foxconn seems not giving them the cost-advantage if comparing the price to other competitors - more like they want make crazy profit out of it from customer aspect, I do know that due to smaller production among they have to get compensate out of it but that's not an average joe customer would care of. Those high-end hardware feeling BS won't help cos nowadays almost every manufacturer are capable to make iPhone level of crafting in almost every device if they want to thanks to those great OEM factories. In comparison entry level BB10 devices are just over-priced, dated-spec, feature-lacking cripple, how they gonna attract people and gain user base let alone making profit?

Software-wise? It's a interesting question. There's a big difference of demand between Fans/Businessman/Average users towards a phone. Basically I think most of the features BB fan wants and feels proud of (PKB/BIS/BBM) means nothing outside the box, so what can BBRY respond and attract the public? No matter what those fans claim how BBRY own the QNX so they can develop, the developing progress of BB10 is just slow and going nowhere over the past three years. Just take a look over the updating notes, 95% of the works are bug fix, performance fix. Most exciting thing during the update might of the android runtime update, and not every side-loading android apps working well in the dated-spec device. There's just no new feature being introduced, no voice assistant, no support for wearable devices, no new core hardware support like MTK SoC to stop using dated QCoM hardware. This is become so awful that in my country's BB community people are suggest not to update to the newest version the BB10 cos they actually losing feature (input method support) and this is hard to image while the other platforms embrace the new version of software. The motivation of user to try and provide feedback of the software and pushing the company/product to a better place are gone. I really don't know what BBRY are doing and where they want to go with BB10 in the past few years, maybe they feel BB10 is perfect like some dude in this forum?
    05-26-16 01:15 AM
    BB has tradition to put some features to hint the lineage of high-end/business oriented in order to sell their hardware in premium price and this strategy make their entry level products look disgusting on the price tag. Moving the manufacturing to Foxconn seems not giving them the cost-advantage if comparing the price to other competitors - more like they want make crazy profit out of it from customer aspect, I do know that due to smaller production among they have to get compensate out of it but that's not an average joe customer would care of. Those high-end hardware feeling BS won't help cos nowadays almost every manufacturer are capable to make iPhone level of crafting in almost every device if they want to thanks to those great OEM factories. In comparison entry level BB10 devices are just over-priced, dated-spec, feature-lacking cripple, how they gonna attract people and gain user base let alone making profit?

Software-wise? It's a interesting question. There's a big difference of demand between Fans/Businessman/Average users towards a phone. Basically I think most of the features BB fan wants and feels proud of (PKB/BIS/BBM) means nothing outside the box, so what can BBRY respond and attract the public? No matter what those fans claim how BBRY own the QNX so they can develop, the developing progress of BB10 is just slow and going nowhere over the past three years. Just take a look over the updating notes, 95% of the works are bug fix, performance fix. Most exciting thing during the update might of the android runtime update, and not every side-loading android apps working well in the dated-spec device. There's just no new feature being introduced, no voice assistant, no support for wearable devices, no new core hardware support like MTK SoC to stop using dated QCoM hardware. This is become so awful that in my country's BB community people are suggest not to update to the newest version the BB10 cos they actually losing feature (input method support) and this is hard to image while the other platforms embrace the new version of software. The motivation of user to try and provide feedback of the software and pushing the company/product to a better place are gone. I really don't know what BBRY are doing and where they want to go with BB10 in the past few years, maybe they feel BB10 is perfect like some dude in this forum?
    It's pretty clear that when Chen started cutting cost (which he had to)... BB10 development was one of the first to really be cut back. I think they were left with enough people to refine BB10 a little, but the plans for 64Bit OS or other major changes like updating the Runtime had been shelved. Now they don't even have enough people to push out a minor security patch in a timely manner.
    05-26-16 07:32 AM
    To this very day, the Q10 is still an amazing phone (and I guess the Classic is okay too) that I'd recommend to anyone who needs a compact QWERTY device.

They should keep manufacturing and selling them because they are wonderful devices.
    05-26-16 07:40 AM
    Why?

They tried that with the Z3... didn't work out too well, as it was still about $100 overpriced.

Sorry but OS development costs money, and that has to be covered by your sales of devcies or by some other revenue streams (like advertising). Hard to compete in a market where Android and Windows are basically free and supported by much larger companies.
    The Z3 wasn't overpriced (somewhat, the biggest problem is the phone was made in China and shipped elsewhere, the resulting end price was close to $300). $200 phone that can Whatsapp and Facebook and doesn't use up a lot of data like android, would have found a significant market share. The marketing was done wrong. Nothing was done in most emerging and developing markets to sell this phone.

Most people in these areas when buying phones, the first thing they look at is price, then ask can it Whatsapp? Then can it Facebook? The Z3 can do than and it looks good for its price.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-26-16 07:41 AM
    Are you familiar with something called Blackberry Leap? It is a good phone and i can't imagine anything more 'budget' than this phone for a company like Blackberry who believes in Premium hardware.
    True. They just have to bring the price down to around $200 and it will sell like hot cakes in the emerging and developing markets.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-26-16 07:43 AM
    I'll repost my reply to you from another thread today.

Sad you don't know what phones are already out there for Android that cheap but have good specs. For example list of phones recommended in India for $150 . Best Android Smartphones Under 10,000 Rs in India May 2016

Even if you're poor and can only afford an upgrade from a feature phone you'll be looking at phones that have Leap specs for $75 Best Phone under 5000 Rs in India for May 2016

Consumers in developing countries don't have to make that choice anymore of cheap but gimped or expensive and capable.
    The name BlackBerry here still carries some weight. $50 more than an android phone is nothing much.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-26-16 07:46 AM
    The Z3 wasn't overpriced (somewhat, the biggest problem is the phone was made in China and shipped elsewhere, the resulting end price was close to $300).
    I can't find a source, but if memory serves the Z3 was made by Foxconn in Indonesia to avoid import tariffs to that market.
    05-26-16 08:06 AM
    The premise of this thread is on its head. The only way BB10 could be revived would be in the ultra premium market. Even then it would be difficult and risky. Devices would need be priced with the expectation of small numbers, so a Passport 2 might cost �2K or more.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-26-16 08:19 AM
37 12