09-22-13 07:27 AM
43 12
tools
    Instead of giving away 1 million to users on the street that may say some good things but might not convert their friends, what about giving a Z30 to every celebrity, politician, sports person etc that used to use a BB or would be willing to. That way, the devise gets better public recognition "Oh so and so is using a BB". Hopefully that would drive some public interest. People love that kind of celebrity endorsement.
    That's what I'd do anyway.
    09-19-13 07:47 PM
    I would do a discount trade-in for PlayBook owners and people who have a BlackBerry 10 phone that want the Z30 but are locked into a contract.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-19-13 07:58 PM
    Hey.... Celcom in Malaysia is giving away FREE Z10 for the first 200 Z30 purchased.
    Now that is a good give away to increase userbase and experience BB10.
    Maybe all carriers should do the same and reduce write offs by doing this.
    09-19-13 08:06 PM
    Lol at the op and his statement about people not understanding business. Seriously WOW!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 11:10 PM
    lol. u must really understand business then coming up with such a great business model.
    BlackBerry just reported a operating loss of $995 million dollars. They're writing off $960 million of inventory. Do you understand my point now? They could have given $1 billion of phones away, had same cash balance, but much better trajectory.

BlackBerry to Fire 4,500, Write Down Up to $960 Million - Bloomberg
    09-20-13 04:13 PM
    Lol at the op and his statement about people not understanding business. Seriously WOW!!!

Posted via CB10
    I love how all you smug, know nothings questioned me...

09-20-13 04:14 PM
    I...I mean...I don't even know where to start..
    Start here...
    09-20-13 04:17 PM
    Free? Well if your argument is that they aren't going to sell in the first place, I can see your point. But the public perception of giving it away will most likely turn out to be, "Wow, this device must be a POS if it just launched and is free".

Free on contract would be cool. Less than $500 full retail would be nice (price it like a Nexus directly through BlackBerry).

I hope this device succeeds, BlackBerry really needs it. High prices will make it DOA though.
    09-20-13 04:52 PM
    I love how all you smug, know nothings questioned me...

I never questioned that, but they still can't sell the things for $0 outright they will still be asking money for them.

Still doesn't change that you know nothing about how to run a business other than how to kill it, and shouldn't be throwing remarks at anyone in these boards.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 12:15 PM
    Personally I don't want a free phone per se, I just want the exclusivity deals to end. If I could go to AT&T and buy a white Q10, I'd do it in an instant.
    09-21-13 12:19 PM
    Oh Lord

OK, what about your original premise is going to save those 4,500 jobs?
    What about laying off 4,500 people is different than your original premise that "they are focusing too much on a positive net income?"
    How is giving away 1 million of their soon to be flagship device going to lead them to a profitable state?
    How is you "plan" going to reverse that fact that they are taking an almost $1 billion charge in THIS SINGLE QUARTER and over $2 billion in charges in less than 2 years?
    Even if they had done something like this prior to this quarter how would that have materially made their situation better?

The fact of the matter is your plan is unworkable and completely asinine in that there is no evidence that giving away 1 million devices will result in a sufficient enough uptick of customers to matter. Believe it or not (and I suspect you won't) but 1 million customer, even if they are totally new would be a non-factor in the smartphone space. Combine THAT with the fact that they still would have to pay for the materials to build those units (inventory) and you are possibly looking at another even larger charge in the future.

BlackBerry just reported a operating loss of $995 million dollars. They're writing off $960 million of inventory. Do you understand my point now? They could have given $1 billion of phones away, had same cash balance, but much better trajectory.
    Further demonstrating your lack of understanding is you stating they "wrote off" inventory. They didn't. They wrote inventory DOWN and no, that is not a difference of semantics. They are very different things and would have completely different effects on the financials. Giving away $1 billion dollars of inventory would not in ANY WAY have improved their "trajectory." The effect, considering where BlackBerry currently stands would have been a "heart shot"
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-21-13 at 01:02 PM.
    cbvinh likes this.
    09-21-13 12:49 PM
    Personally I don't want a free phone per se, I just want the exclusivity deals to end. If I could go to AT&T and buy a white Q10, I'd do it in an instant.
    It ain't all its hypes up to be that white Q10. The black one just feels like a more premium product.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:08 PM
    Oh Lord

OK, what about your original premise is going to save those 4,500 jobs?
    What about laying off 4,500 people is different than your original premise that "they are focusing too much on a positive net income?"
    How is giving away 1 million of their soon to be flagship device going to lead them to a profitable state?
    How is you "plan" going to reverse that fact that they are taking an almost $1 billion charge in THIS SINGLE QUARTER and over $2 billion in charges in less than 2 years?
    Even if they had done something like this prior to this quarter how would that have materially made their situation better?

The fact of the matter is your plan is unworkable and completely asinine in that there is no evidence that giving away 1 million devices will result in a sufficient enough uptick of customers to matter. Believe it or not (and I suspect you won't) but 1 million customer, even if they are totally new would be a non-factor in the smartphone space. Combine THAT with the fact that they still would have to pay for the materials to build those units (inventory) and you are possibly looking at another even larger charge in the future.

Further demonstrating your lack of understanding is you stating they "wrote off" inventory. They didn't. They wrote inventory DOWN and no, that is not a difference of semantics. They are very different things and would have completely different effects on the financials. Giving away $1 billion dollars of inventory would not in ANY WAY have improved their "trajectory." The effect, considering where BlackBerry currently stands would have been a "heart shot"
    Nah would have been quicker more like a head shot.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 01:09 PM
    It ain't all its hypes up to be that white Q10. The black one just feels like a more premium product.

Posted via CB10
    It's a thing for me!!!!
    09-21-13 01:12 PM
    Lol I know the feeling with my Z10 I was like must have white. I love my Zeddy but damn if she don't scratch easy!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 03:34 PM
    [QUOTE=Andrew4life;9195318]Why would I pay for something that was given out for free?.... is what the 1,000,001th customer should say.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE
    1000001th, 1000001th, 1000001TH!!!
    1,000,001st!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 05:41 PM
    I just want the Z30 in my hands. Now I'm nervous because America gets the shaft when it comes to new BlackBerry 10 stuff (even though Canada is located on the second floor of North America) . For some reason, we get new launches dead last, updates dead last, even the commercials here are **** compared to other countries. Just give me the Z30 first. The money is burnin a hole in my pocket!

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    09-22-13 12:28 AM
    If BlackBerry were to give away phones for "free", it would make much more sense to do it with Z10s and tie the "giveaway" to adoption of BES10 by those currently sticking with the older BES. In fact, that is what one poster in another thread reported is happening at his workplace.

It is not actually given away for free, rather to lure customers to upgrade their BlackBerry services. It is also consistent with BlackBerry's renewed focus on enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 07:27 AM
43 12